The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18 y/o - Full-Time Job or Start A Business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
Hello fellow entrepreneurs. I'm having a dilemma right now whether I should go for a full-time job that was offered to me or try and start a business. It will be very appreciated if you guys read the whole post before giving me your opinion, thanks.

Let me elaborate
, a few days ago I went to a job interview in a small-medium-sized company (~20-30 employees) for a helpdesk job (which basically means support man). I've talked to the CEO and showed him my past experience in creating websites on WordPress, and he wants me to get the job, but to be honest it feels a bit contrary to my principles; working 9-5 instead of hustling and creating a business. He also told me that it's a very dynamic workspace and I won't stay in the helpdesk role if I'll want to advance in the future.

Anyways at first, I thought about going to the job in order to /learn/ new stuff that will help me grow my own business later on in life, but in the conversation with the CEO I found out he wanted me for the long term, he seems like a very straightforward guy without any masks or bullshit which is something I liked. But anyways the pay is not bad but it's also not great, (~2.5KUSD/month - which is around 25% above the minimum in Israel.) - and obviously, I won't be able to develop my own existing business while working for him.
I told him that I want to think about it because at first, I did not think about staying that long in his company, and I don't want to lie to him about me being there for the long term just to get the job, so that's why I'm here, trying to get your guys' opinion on the subject.

So my dilemma is this; should I stay there a year to potentially learn some good shit about everything that is web-development-related and save some money to start my business 1 year later with some good knowledge earned, or should I try and develop my web development business right here right now, with the potential it'll fail, but also with a good chance that I will finally start making actual money from it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Work the job 9-5, save up some money and build your business in the evening. It will also provide you with domain experience in the field and can learn whilst getting paid for it

FabianBarbarian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 15, 2022
Hey, I am in kind of a similar situation so dont think that this comment is coming from somebody who is experienced. But I think going for the job seems to be a good choice, you just have to be clear and remind yourself what you want from it e.g. work experience in your field, maybe building up some work discipline, gaining some insights in business related processes and so on. Just dont become addicted to your salary and dont feel so bad if you are quitting this job in a year or something again. I mean yeah its not nice towards the boss and I dont know if there are further consequences to quitting the job other than this one person might not like you that much anymore, but thats for you to assess.
And again, I dont have much experience there, just sharing my quick thoughts

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Hello fellow entrepreneurs. I'm having a dilemma right now whether I should go for a full-time job that was offered to me or try and start a business. It will be very appreciated if you guys read the whole post before giving me your opinion, thanks.

Let me elaborate
, a few days ago I went to a job interview in a small-medium-sized company (~20-30 employees) for a helpdesk job (which basically means support man). I've talked to the CEO and showed him my past experience in creating websites on WordPress, and he wants me to get the job, but to be honest it feels a bit contrary to my principles; working 9-5 instead of hustling and creating a business. He also told me that it's a very dynamic workspace and I won't stay in the helpdesk role if I'll want to advance in the future.

Anyways at first, I thought about going to the job in order to /learn/ new stuff that will help me grow my own business later on in life, but in the conversation with the CEO I found out he wanted me for the long term, he seems like a very straightforward guy without any masks or bullshit which is something I liked. But anyways the pay is not bad but it's also not great, (~2.5KUSD/month - which is around 25% above the minimum in Israel.) - and obviously, I won't be able to develop my own existing business while working for him.
I told him that I want to think about it because at first, I did not think about staying that long in his company, and I don't want to lie to him about me being there for the long term just to get the job, so that's why I'm here, trying to get your guys' opinion on the subject.

So my dilemma is this; should I stay there a year to potentially learn some good shit about everything that is web-development-related and save some money to start my business 1 year later with some good knowledge earned, or should I try and develop my web development business right here right now, with the potential it'll fail, but also with a good chance that I will finally start making actual money from it?

Welcome to the forum @Xpo

If you ask me, just start a business. That’s what I’ve done, and if I had to do it again I’d take the harder path once again… reminds me of this poem:

The Road Not Taken​

BY ROBERT FROST
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Make sure you take the choice which will minimize your regrets!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xpo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 30, 2021
Israel
Work the job 9-5, save up some money and build your business in the evening. It will also provide you with domain experience in the field and can learn whilst getting paid for it

Hey, I am in kind of a similar situation so dont think that this comment is coming from somebody who is experienced. But I think going for the job seems to be a good choice, you just have to be clear and remind yourself what you want from it e.g. work experience in your field, maybe building up some work discipline, gaining some insights in business related processes and so on. Just dont become addicted to your salary and dont feel so bad if you are quitting this job in a year or something again. I mean yeah its not nice towards the boss and I dont know if there are further consequences to quitting the job other than this one person might not like you that much anymore, but thats for you to assess.
And again, I dont have much experience there, just sharing my quick thoughts

Welcome to the forum @Xpo

If you ask me, just start a business. That’s what I’ve done, and if I had to do it again I’d take the harder path once again… reminds me of this poem:

Make sure you take the choice which will minimize your regrets!
I appreciate all of your guys' answers. Helped me a bit with choosing.
In the end, I chose to not go with his 9-5 job, because of its' relatively low pay, but mainly because of the fact that working at a web dev company would interfere with my OWN web business. (The CEO told me I won't be able to develop websites on my own for customers while working for him; so I decided to part ways.)

I'll go find another work that will get me more money for fewer hours like bartending or something at the moment while building my business.

Cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.