The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stop Complicating it.

Anything related to matters of the mind

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Fact: You're gonna suck at what you're doing when you start.
Fact: You'll embarrass yourself, make mistakes, and feel insecure.
Fact: But if you analyze, iterate, and change, then you'll create improvements... and eventually succeed.

Stop being scared of getting out there. All businesspeople suck when they start out. You don't need an MBA, or to read thousands of books to get the ball rolling. You just have to start.

Pick an idea. Go out there. And fail (get feedback). If that feedback is to read a book, then read the book. If that feedback is to get more experience, then keep failing and sucking until you stop sucking and start winning.

Feedback is the fastest way to getting better. Yeah, it hurts, but it's the best education there is. As long as you keep an open mind, and try, then you'll eventually succeed.

And let me say it again: everyone sucks when they start out. I'm embarrassed of some of the things I did 6 months ago. Hell, I'm embarrassed of mistakes I made this week. But I'm happy, because I know that in a year I'll be considerably better. And if I keep trying, getting feedback, and improving, then I'll be unstoppable when compared to all the people that never even tried.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Fail Better Next Time.

But you're right, it's all for nought if there isn't progress, gotta actually learn from those mistakes, rather than keep making the same ones.. Humility helps too.

Still love this one -

yfTLs8b.jpg

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
And let me say it again: everyone sucks when they start out. I'm embarrassed of some of the things I did 6 months ago. Hell, I'm embarrassed of mistakes I made this week.
I'm so used to sucking at the start I don't get embarrassed anymore.

I don't think I even notice my suckiness.

I take a certain glee in sending instant messages with typos - in teasing my inner perfectionism demon.

I think I've teased him so much he's thrown the towel in.

Great post @AgainstAllOdds. Thanks!

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Humility helps too.
This. It's easy to be dismissive of criticism, but it's worth asking (yourself, or the person) what prompted the comments. I like to think of feedback as course corrections too.

I'm so used to sucking at the start I don't get embarrassed anymore.
You nailed it. For the naysayers who say, "But you don't know the first thing about _____," just say "...yet."

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I used to scared to death of making mistakes so I'd either do nothing or obsess too long over things that the whole exercise was a huge time waster.

To fail is to learn and there's nothing I love better than gaining new knowledge to keep me and my business growing.

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
I agree... but it feels like I'm still stuck in the sucking stage and not sure where to go from here

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
Fact: You're gonna suck at what you're doing when you start.
Fact: You'll embarrass yourself, make mistakes, and feel insecure.
Fact: But if you analyze, iterate, and change, then you'll create improvements... and eventually succeed.

Stop being scared of getting out there. All businesspeople suck when they start out. You don't need an MBA, or to read thousands of books to get the ball rolling. You just have to start.

Pick an idea. Go out there. And fail (get feedback). If that feedback is to read a book, then read the book. If that feedback is to get more experience, then keep failing and sucking until you stop sucking and start winning.

Feedback is the fastest way to getting better. Yeah, it hurts, but it's the best education there is. As long as you keep an open mind, and try, then you'll eventually succeed.

And let me say it again: everyone sucks when they start out. I'm embarrassed of some of the things I did 6 months ago. Hell, I'm embarrassed of mistakes I made this week. But I'm happy, because I know that in a year I'll be considerably better. And if I keep trying, getting feedback, and improving, then I'll be unstoppable when compared to all the people that never even tried.

texus2

Get Rich or Die Tryin’
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 18, 2016
Germany
To start focusing on a new idea i have to need a skill to get well with my idea.

Lets say i want to be free in 1-2 years (quitting my 9-5 job):

How can i start without complicating it too much?

Copywriter? Oh, i need to focus on my english (i'm from germany) writing skills.
Coder? Oh, i need to focus on my coding skills, doing tasks everyday so i may create my app idea in 5 years.
Amazon/Ebay Trader? Oh, i need to find a right product, which sells good.

In the end everything you need to do is STARTING.

Even though i haven't started yet i like to find MY path in the near future to bring something valuable to the world.
I just want to be sure, that i choose the right way, which fits me the best.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I agree... but it feels like I'm still stuck in the sucking stage and not sure where to go from here
Can you validate why you feel that way? You need a metric to measure your progress. Number of sales/dollars earned, feedback points, likes, comments, shares, visitors to your website, subscribers, SOMETHING.

Look at a block of time. Let's say 1 year. Ask: What's the trend? Are those numbers increasing, decreasing, or staying the same? What changes did you implement over the year? What was their effect from month to month?

If you've changed nothing, and your numbers are either 0, the same, or decreasing...don't expect a miracle. At the risk of sounding too cynical, let's give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's assume you've added stellar content or value in your market, but you're not seeing the results you want. Your problem could be exposure, or lack thereof.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
The question becomes... Do you really suck?

If I handed you a surfboard for the the first time ever and told you to go surf, wouldvyou suck?

No. You are ignorant and untrained. That is not a bad thing.

Enbrace the fear... Fail. Learn from the mistakes. Pick up, and do it again.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
You go to the gym to be around other weightlifters and athletic people like yourself; to learn from them and grow. The same goes with business, surround yourself with entrepreneurial minded people, and you will learn from them and grow.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
You go to the gym to be around other weightlifters and athletic people like yourself; to learn from them and grow. The same goes with business, surround yourself with entrepreneurial minded people, and you will learn from them and grow.

Amen to that!!!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Step up to the plate and take a swing...every day.

Thanks for the post, Fear might be at the root of over complicating things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.