The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Staring a Business while Depressed

Anything related to matters of the mind

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Not sure if this is the right section to ask, but I wasn't sure where else it fits.

Have any of you been able to successfully start a business while depressed? I've mentioned a few times throughout the site but I am in a soul crushing slow lane right now and I desperately want to get out. I don't want to just jump to another slow lane job, but I'm in such a fog right now I can't even figure out what to do or how to start. I have been stuck in the limbo of trying to think of ideas and how to execute, but also barely surviving because I'm exhausted after working 55-60 hours a week. Long story short, I was given a mountain of new responsibility but they went back on the compensation I was promised, so it's about 30% less than I've been told for the past 6 months.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
because I'm exhausted after working 55-60 hours a week.
I’ve been there. 80h weeks when you added the commute. All that for £30k/y pre tax.

I used to fall asleep to Gary Vee yelling “what do you do after your job?”

Well, I’m fu**%ing sleeping.. I need to :rofl:

I’m not sure the reason you’re depressed, but I was because of my job.

I’m only seeing 3 main ways out of this.

1. Slowly grind a bit after work, which might take a long time to get something running.

2. Get a better job.
I know you’ve mentioned you don’t want another slow lane job, but the change might be worth it.

3. Save up your monthly expenses for some months and a similar amount for starting something.

Even if you end up with small results, you can try again and again.

Number 3 is what I did.
Saved up for 6 months of my expenses + some for testing my ideas.

I failed at replacing my income. I spent a lot of time just enjoying being free. It helped me. I failed at replacing my income, yes, but my small business was making £30/day without any more input from me.( Maybe 1h/ week)

I went back to the same job, with the same employer, and saved up the money to try again, but faster this time( because of that small £30/day)

Done the same again, and I decided to do the same type of business and try to go for the £100/ day total between businesses so I could replace my income.

Done that, and I went back to the job again. Now, at this point you might consider it counterintuitive to go back, but I decided I needed to do the same again while I can save up even more to try again.

Saved up, but this time it only took me half the time for the same amount but I went with the regular schedule so I ended up with 12 months of expenses saved.

That’s when I decided I’m never going back. The next 4 months I spent working on a project. Launched November, and I made £100k in a single month . ( black friday and other sales)

I used the money to fuel other businesses, some which have failed terribly.

I still get my £100/day from those 2 projects started while working. My living expenses never changed.

Maybe I cannot take a business to 5 figures / month at a constant rate,

But I can definitely take a business to £30/ day.

Some might laugh at my strategy. At the moment I’m fine with multiple businesses making less with low input, than 5 figures that would require more of my time.

edit: looking back, it looks pretty straightforward. It wasn’t. Especially when people are telling you £30/day is a failure.

I really wish you the best

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Have any of you been able to successfully start a business while depressed?

I would highly urge anybody going through depression or any mental health problem to find a solution ASAP. Either seeking help or through self help. It will put you at a severe disadvantage.

Natural supplements, meditation, exercise, nature or diet can help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.