The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Soft test: WanderVault, the portable backup solution with NAS features

Idea threads

Rune

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 12, 2023
België
Hello,

Introduction:

This is my first post to this forum, so I'm not really sure how to go about this.
First I will introduce myself a little.
My name is Rune, I'm 23 years old and I'm from Belgium. English is not my native language, so pardon my spelling mistakes. I, together with my partner, are starting up our first ever business. We have both read UNSCRIPTED, that's how I got to this forum, and I thought I'd give it a try for soft-testing our product. We've been through quite some phases of what we want our business to be. Reading UNSCRIPTED and attending various entrepreneurial workshops got us this far. Now we've gotten quite some things down (our business persona, sustainable development goals, our target audience etc.) it's time to do some soft-testing.

Our product is the following:

Wandervault is supposed to be a portable backup solution for photographers. Taking photos on SD cards comes with the risk of losing set card or it getting damaged. SD cards can get currupted quite easily and this usually results in the deletion of all data. As I've heard a lot in the photography community "don't put all your eggs in one basket". And this is what our product will be all about.
Our pocket-sized device will allow photographers to simply transfer the files from their SD card to the internal SSD where they will automatically be sorted by date of transfer. The device will come with an internal battery and an OLED display for simple navigation. The user will be able to transfer files from and to a micro-SD card, SD card, USB and USB-c. This means that, when preferred, one could connect a USB drive to the device and in one move copy all the files from the internal SSD to the drive.
Besides the simple use of backup storage, the device will have NAS features. This means the device itself is capable of connecting via WIFI to external devices. This way, you would be capable of looking at the data stored on the internal SSD of the device on you phone, laptop, computer or even smart-tv. Small changes can be made via these external devices as well, for example: sorting photo's and deleting unwanted photo's.
For this NAS system to operate the device is required to be connected to the internet of course. This can be done by connecting it to a home network or by putting a SIM card in the device (this can be done easily, like putting a SIM card in a phone). This SIM card can be provided by us, combined with a provider subscription which allows the user to use the NAS features at all time, even in remote locations. The user could also just get a SIM card from their local provider themselves.
To extend the usage of this NAS system, we are also thinking of adding automated cloud storage to the device. This way all data that is uploaded to the internal SSD of the device will automatically be uploaded to the cloud (using the SCPrime database). This would come in the form of a monthly subscription.
The device will be as water proof as possible (we still have to figure that out) and the user will be capable of replacing the internal SSD if necessary.

Our Sustainable Development Goals:

We, as people and as a business, believe sustainability to be the core of our business. This takes three different forms: people - planet - prosperity.

People:
- To cut costs, making our product available to different demographics, one will be able to purchase the DIY-kit of our product. This will include all necessary components of the WanderVault so the user gets to put it together. One would be able to buy the assembled product itself
as well of course.
- Assembled models will be assembled in local work spaces, paying workers a fair price for their work and supporting the local economy.

Planet:
-Components will be produced in local factories, again supporting local businesses and lowering our carbon footprint
-Reclaimed and rechargeable batteries will be used to power the device
-The casing of the product will be made in Europe from bio-degradable plastics
-Parts will be separately sold on our website, this means that if one component of the device breaks one could easily replace it without trowing out the entire device. This makes our product semi-open source. This because some of the PCB plates will be our own and have to be purchased via our website.

Prosperity:
-support of local economy by only using European businesses
-use of local resources

Outro:

I've put up a really big wall of text here, I hope it was legible.
What do I want to achieve with this? This is just a soft test of our product. What I want is for people to tell me what they like and dislike about our idea. So feel free to drop down anything that comes to mind. Positive or negative, it's all valuable data.
Part have been ordered to make a LOFI version of our product, so we can start messing around with settings and style.
I'm sure this is not the last you will hear from me.
I thank you in advance.

Regards
Rune Deblauwe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
424%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Welcome Rune. Big wall of text, yes, but good stuff and your English isn't bad.

I'm curious how the additional costs of sourcing ethically will impact your price flexibility. Are others in the space environmentally friendly? Would that be a competitive advantage for you?

Rune

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 12, 2023
België
Welcome Rune. Big wall of text, yes, but good stuff and your English isn't bad.

I'm curious how the additional costs of sourcing ethically will impact your price flexibility. Are others in the space environmentally friendly? Would that be a competitive advantage for you?
Thank you :) and that's a very good question.
No doubt about it will affect our price, however, my partner is a product designer so he has his way in some companies and knows a bit about the price. There is no way of knowing how much it will affect the price, and I hope we can keep it down quite a bit, but only time shall tell I suppose.

Also I don't think it will be possible to get everything from within the EU. I'm not sure if there even are companies who make PCB's in the EU. We'll have to do some more research on that.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Hello,

Introduction:

This is my first post to this forum, so I'm not really sure how to go about this.
First I will introduce myself a little.
My name is Rune, I'm 23 years old and I'm from Belgium. English is not my native language, so pardon my spelling mistakes. I, together with my partner, are starting up our first ever business. We have both read UNSCRIPTED, that's how I got to this forum, and I thought I'd give it a try for soft-testing our product. We've been through quite some phases of what we want our business to be. Reading UNSCRIPTED and attending various entrepreneurial workshops got us this far. Now we've gotten quite some things down (our business persona, sustainable development goals, our target audience etc.) it's time to do some soft-testing.

Our product is the following:

Wandervault is supposed to be a portable backup solution for photographers. Taking photos on SD cards comes with the risk of losing set card or it getting damaged. SD cards can get currupted quite easily and this usually results in the deletion of all data. As I've heard a lot in the photography community "don't put all your eggs in one basket". And this is what our product will be all about.
Our pocket-sized device will allow photographers to simply transfer the files from their SD card to the internal SSD where they will automatically be sorted by date of transfer. The device will come with an internal battery and an OLED display for simple navigation. The user will be able to transfer files from and to a micro-SD card, SD card, USB and USB-c. This means that, when preferred, one could connect a USB drive to the device and in one move copy all the files from the internal SSD to the drive.
Besides the simple use of backup storage, the device will have NAS features. This means the device itself is capable of connecting via WIFI to external devices. This way, you would be capable of looking at the data stored on the internal SSD of the device on you phone, laptop, computer or even smart-tv. Small changes can be made via these external devices as well, for example: sorting photo's and deleting unwanted photo's.
For this NAS system to operate the device is required to be connected to the internet of course. This can be done by connecting it to a home network or by putting a SIM card in the device (this can be done easily, like putting a SIM card in a phone). This SIM card can be provided by us, combined with a provider subscription which allows the user to use the NAS features at all time, even in remote locations. The user could also just get a SIM card from their local provider themselves.
To extend the usage of this NAS system, we are also thinking of adding automated cloud storage to the device. This way all data that is uploaded to the internal SSD of the device will automatically be uploaded to the cloud (using the SCPrime database). This would come in the form of a monthly subscription.
The device will be as water proof as possible (we still have to figure that out) and the user will be capable of replacing the internal SSD if necessary.

Our Sustainable Development Goals:

We, as people and as a business, believe sustainability to be the core of our business. This takes three different forms: people - planet - prosperity.

People:
- To cut costs, making our product available to different demographics, one will be able to purchase the DIY-kit of our product. This will include all necessary components of the WanderVault so the user gets to put it together. One would be able to buy the assembled product itself
as well of course.
- Assembled models will be assembled in local work spaces, paying workers a fair price for their work and supporting the local economy.

Planet:
-Components will be produced in local factories, again supporting local businesses and lowering our carbon footprint
-Reclaimed and rechargeable batteries will be used to power the device
-The casing of the product will be made in Europe from bio-degradable plastics
-Parts will be separately sold on our website, this means that if one component of the device breaks one could easily replace it without trowing out the entire device. This makes our product semi-open source. This because some of the PCB plates will be our own and have to be purchased via our website.

Prosperity:
-support of local economy by only using European businesses
-use of local resources

Outro:

I've put up a really big wall of text here, I hope it was legible.
What do I want to achieve with this? This is just a soft test of our product. What I want is for people to tell me what they like and dislike about our idea. So feel free to drop down anything that comes to mind. Positive or negative, it's all valuable data.
Part have been ordered to make a LOFI version of our product, so we can start messing around with settings and style.
I'm sure this is not the last you will hear from me.
I thank you in advance.

Regards
Rune Deblauwe
Hi Rune, I have a question for you.

Why would not someone buy a memory card reader, plug the SD card into the phone/laptop, and upload the photos to cloud storage? I'm not a photographer, just a frequent user of dslr cameras.

I personally used this method to save my photos. Why would your ideal customer use your solution over the standard "throw it to google drive" method? Will you make it easier?

Ideally I would've liked the photos to be automatically uploaded to my cloud storage from the SD card without me lifting a finger. Then I'd sort out the details over there. What makes your solution even easier than this ideal scenario? Can you replicate it?

These are just my experiences I wanted to share with my brief moments of photography. Hope this helps you in improving your product.

Lastly, why NAS over cloud? Why not directly throw the photos to cloud?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.