The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Signs you are a "wantrapreneur"

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
to add to my original post:

STOP READING. STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEOS. I cannot stress it enough. it induces you into thinking you are actually accomplishing something when in reality you aren't. it keeps you in analysis paralysis.

there is nothing wrong with motivational audios/books to help you along the journey, but I'd be willing to bet that most "wantrapreneurs" are people who watch/read and feel a sense of accomplishment after doing so.

I remember when I first started out, I was looking for that "one inspirational quote" or that one "secret formula" to get started. I would buy a new business book every week, and say to myself: this is the one that will give me the secret I need to get started.

guess what? there is no book. there is no secret. that's just you sabotaging yourself from success.

Wow. Some of this hits me in more places than I’d like to admit. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for the “one inspirational quote” or “one secret formula” to get started, but to a degree, I do feel a sense of accomplishment after reading one of these books (biographies mostly).

Why?

I feel like an overwhelming majority of people will never even bother looking to those who are successful because of what they did, the self-made millionaires, for advice. (Whether it's b/c they attribute wealth to luck, tell themselves they could never do it, or for whatever reason).
Now I don’t sit on youtube watching videos, but I feel like collecting these golden nuggets from people who have personally gotten themselves to where they are is tremendously valuable. Learning from their experiences, taking their advice (not just reading about it), and taking note of whatever other life situations they’ve dealt with.

Each time I finish a book and go back and review whatever dozen key points I thought were most noteworthy, I think briefly that I have THAT MUCH MORE of an advantage against my competition. That could be rationalized indefinitely, but I’m aware of that and won’t end up on that route.

I just read someone’s thread that said they read a new business book every week. they don't have a business yet. Does that make sense? That's like reading a manual on how to drive a car that you don't own.

You don't have a vehicle (business), so what is that knowledge possibly going to do for you? are you going to "save it" for later? get the vehicle first, then read if you are stuck with something. too many people confuse personal development as the "event."

I don’t consider personal development “the event,” but for me, I feel like it’s an important part of the process I’m building for myself. I guess I could be deceiving myself, but I’m definitely not creating a false correlation where: reading the life lessons, tips, and habits of successful people=becoming successful.

It’s more like reading the life lessons, tips, and habits of successful people= more ammo for my gun.
Will I fire it? You bet. But I feel like tips on handling a firearm is still useful, both before and after I've fired it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
How do I start a lead generation website

OT but this is actually pretty easy LOL.

Back on topic (inspired by a friend of mine last year)

-Create a product and expect it to sell out within a week without any promotion or marketing
-Have the mindset of "If you build it they will come". Nope you have to let them know it exists first
-Rather go out and party every weekend instead of working on your business <----This used to be me.

Ezio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 6, 2014
Gdansk, Poland
I don't know Belfort's policy about recording but.. Here he's talking about excuses.
(It's not mine)

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Helps big time, thanks!

STOP READING. STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEOS. I cannot stress it enough. it induces you into thinking you are actually accomplishing something when in reality you aren't. it keeps you in analysis paralysis.

there is nothing wrong with motivational audios/books to help you along the journey, but I'd be willing to bet that most "wantrapreneurs" are people who watch/read and feel a sense of accomplishment after doing so.

if you need to watch motivational videos and read 100 business books to keep "motivation", when you haven't even DONE ANYTHING YET, maybe you shouldn't be an entrepreneur. the real motivation comes from getting your first sale, reaching $500, $1000 a day.

I remember when I first started out, I was looking for that "one inspirational quote" or that one "secret formula" to get started. I would buy a new business book every week, and say to myself: this is the one that will give me the secret I need to get started.

guess what? there is no book. there is no secret. that's just you sabotaging yourself from success.

I just read someones thread that said they read a new business book every week. they don't have a business yet. does that make sense? that's like reading a manual on how to drive a car that you don't own.

You don't have a vehicle (business), so what is that knowledge possibly going to do for you? are you going to "save it" for later? get the vehicle first, then read if you are stuck with something. too many people confuse personal development as the "event."

Saw this on FB. It is absolute GOLD:

"They are the people who use Motivational and Personal Growth materials to consume, read, listen and watch...

but they never DO anything to change their circumstance.

They read to FEEL better.
They listen to FEEL better.
They watch to FEEL better.

Then, after feeling like they've accomplished something by simply feeling better - they go right back to doing what were doing before.

They are on the express train to FAILURE CENTRAL.

Then they wonder why the things they've read, watched and listened to DON'T WORK FOR THEM.

Instead of OWNING their results, good or bad, these would-be winners leak their personal power like a rusty bucket.

They grow older, more resentful and grumpy about the fact that life isn't giving them what they want...

While completely IGNORING their own actions and behaviors.

I have compassion for these folks... a lot actually.

Because I used to be one.

I read everything I could find on how to improve my life.

I listened to copies of old audio tapes (because I was too cheap to invest in myself, major clue right there why I was so broke).

I filled my mind with "Great Stuff".

But you know what my biggest problem was?

I was ALL MIND... and ZERO MUSCLE.

I kept waiting for something magic to happen.

When the real magic was at the end of my arms.

One day, frustrated with my incredible failure and feeling like a complete loser... I took a good look in the mirror.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I had just finished teaching a martial arts class, and the last student had left for the night.

I was happy as a teacher, and loved my students and my job.

But I was sick of being stuck. Sick of being broke. Sick of being alone. I was sick of feeling like no matter what I studied, nothing seemed to change.

That's when it HIT ME. I had been feeding my mind, but had failed to CHANGE my actions."

hope this helps

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Until recently, this was me to a T. The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that there is a problem....
Ditto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
guess what? there is no book. there is no secret. that's just you sabotaging yourself from success

The secret is there is no secret. The struggle doesn't come from the process, it comes from denying the process and insisting there is a shortcut.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
The secret is there is no secret. The struggle doesn't come from the process, it comes from denying the process and insisting there is a shortcut.

exactly. I feel many use reading/motivational stuff to avoid the painful process. they are addicted to the "feel good" material. And that is partly because when you learn something new, there is a release of dopamine in the brain.

It makes you feel like you accomplished something, but in reality you have done nothing but absorb information. (most of which you won't remember)

There is nothing wrong with reading, but many are confusing reading with taking action. they are waiting til they find the perfect idea. they don't want to fail. they over analyze everything, and then do nothing.

then they get a hint of motivation and say: "let me read this book, maybe it will have the magical fail-proof business idea I've been searching for."

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY

if you need to watch motivational videos and read 100 business books to keep "motivation", when you haven't even DONE ANYTHING YET, maybe you shouldn't be an entrepreneur. the real motivation comes from getting your first sale, reaching $500, $1000 a day.

I just read someones thread that said they read a new business book every week. they don't have a business yet. does that make sense? that's like reading a manual on how to drive a car that you don't own.

Saw this on FB. It is absolute GOLD:

"They are the people who use Motivational and Personal Growth materials to consume, read, listen and watch...

but they never DO anything to change their circumstance.

They read to FEEL better.
They listen to FEEL better.
They watch to FEEL better.

Then, after feeling like they've accomplished something by simply feeling better - they go right back to doing what were doing before.

They are on the express train to FAILURE CENTRAL.

Then they wonder why the things they've read, watched and listened to DON'T WORK FOR THEM.

Instead of OWNING their results, good or bad, these would-be winners leak their personal power like a rusty bucket.

They grow older, more resentful and grumpy about the fact that life isn't giving them what they want...

While completely IGNORING their own actions and behaviors.

Ridiculous post @Tony I !! Bookmarked as a strong reminder to take action constantly...This is the first time I've read this, but it has to hit home hard for so many out there... I've been guilty of a few of these over the last few years. @IceCreamKid calls it the learning loop. Otherwise known as action faking/mental masturbation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.