The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I give it away for free?

GreasyGinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Dec 12, 2017
Calgary
I have been on here seeking advice for an app I've been developing.

I'm at a point now where I have something completely useable. It's an app allowing people to post requests of estimates for and get real quotes from local businesses.

This past week I've started "selling", I've called over 50 businesses and the sentiment I'm getting is that they get contacted about apps all day and they've never heard of any working for businesses like theirs. To be honest, there isn't really one out there specifically targeting who I am. So I started calling businesses not to sell, but to ask what they thought of the idea, no pressure, just give me your opinion and if you think this is worth pursuing.

Man, did the flood gates open when I stopped selling. Everything from hatred of big retail chains, to anger about turning their services into commodities, you name it, but I finally got someone to talk to me, which was nice.

The main thing I kept hearing was proof, they want proof that this idea will work, that people would use it.

So my question is, should I get a handful of businesses on board to prove the concept free of charge? Basically open up the service to them to get new customers for nothing, which was well received.

Do this and then get back on selling after that? Maybe I can make $5 from admob in the process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
I have been on here seeking advice for an app I've been developing.

I'm at a point now where I have something completely useable. It's an app allowing people to post requests of estimates for and get real quotes from local businesses.

This past week I've started "selling", I've called over 50 businesses and the sentiment I'm getting is that they get contacted about apps all day and they've never heard of any working for businesses like theirs. To be honest, there isn't really one out there specifically targeting who I am. So I started calling businesses not to sell, but to ask what they thought of the idea, no pressure, just give me your opinion and if you think this is worth pursuing.

Man, did the flood gates open when I stopped selling. Everything from hatred of big retail chains, to anger about turning their services into commodities, you name it, but I finally got someone to talk to me, which was nice.

The main thing I kept hearing was proof, they want proof that this idea will work, that people would use it.

So my question is, should I get a handful of businesses on board to prove the concept free of charge? Basically open up the service to them to get new customers for nothing, which was well received.

Do this and then get back on selling after that? Maybe I can make $5 from admob in the process.

What kind of business are these? Do these businesses need to be qualified and licensed.

Why don’t you offer a free trial to sign them up? That way you can test and tweak the idea to see if it works and they won’t feel like they are wasting money.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Give it away for 90 days. After that, they can continue for a "healthy" fee, whatever you think that may be.

AND for the ones that show you "faith" - they get a discounted rate right away, that will continue forever. For example - for being an early sign on, they get 30% off whatever the going rate is for this product AND whatever other products you might develop. Make the discount sizable enough to get their attention - maybe even more. Five or ten percent is an insult.

I'd say there is no way for you to lose using the above example. I'd sure sign up for one or the other. Set them up for auto billing with a credit card - don't mess around and waste time being a collection agency.

Don't sell yourself short or be bullied. If I have a source that sends me business - and rest assured, I have several - I'll be more than glad to take care of them!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

motivatedesign

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I think the big thing here is that you need to get some solid reviews from well established businesses. People love knowing that someone else has already vetted your app and will claim that it's done something positive for them.

If you can get them to define what "proof" is in their eyes, then you'll get a better idea as to what they want to see and if you can provide it for them. Is it 10 sales, 50 sales, etc?

I would encourage you to give away test drives to businesses who you know would cause their competitors to say, well we need to get that now.

Wish you the best!

GreasyGinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Dec 12, 2017
Calgary
Thanks guys for the advice.
Give it away for 90 days. After that, they can continue for a "healthy" fee, whatever you think that may be.

AND for the ones that show you "faith" - they get a discounted rate right away, that will continue forever. For example - for being an early sign on, they get 30% off whatever the going rate is for this product AND whatever other products you might develop. Make the discount sizable enough to get their attention - maybe even more. Five or ten percent is an insult.

I'd say there is no way for you to lose using the above example. I'd sure sign up for one or the other. Set them up for auto billing with a credit card - don't mess around and waste time being a collection agency.

Don't sell yourself short or be bullied. If I have a source that sends me business - and rest assured, I have several - I'll be more than glad to take care of them!

I like this approach. I was going through it in my head because I remember reading on one of the gold threads here to monetize from the get go, because free sounds like it won't work. I think I may be in a different situation then that topic so I think it's going to be my best option.

Your thinking was exactly what I had in mind as well. Kind of like a 'legacy member' rate for helping out prior to the launch.

I think the big thing here is that you need to get some solid reviews from well established businesses. People love knowing that someone else has already vetted your app and will claim that it's done something positive for them.

If you can get them to define what "proof" is in their eyes, then you'll get a better idea as to what they want to see and if you can provide it for them. Is it 10 sales, 50 sales, etc?

I would encourage you to give away test drives to businesses who you know would cause their competitors to say, well we need to get that now.

Wish you the best!

Right, it's the same way people immediately find google reviews for things they want to buy or places they want to. Same idea.

Thanks again guys for the advice. I will update once I can get something going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.