The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I give entrepreneurship a break for a while?

Anything related to matters of the mind

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So its been a little more than a year ever since I have read the millionaire fastlane .

I have learned more in this year than anything else and have read more books in this year than I ever had in my life and know that I 100% want to do this and the only thing that is going to satisfy me.

I have to be realistic though, in terms of actual results. I am no where closer to freedom. As of right now, I have had costly failures and spend my days constantly researching. All I am left with right now is a small eBay/amazon business that gives me less than $100 a month. I thought by this time I would have at least had some sustainable income.

I haven't talked to friends, lost over 50lb from not eating, lack of sleep, and haven't seen the world at all. My biggest fear is doing this entrepreneurship for over 5 years with no results. Even with all my newfound knowledge, I realize I don't know a damn thing. So if I have failure over 5 years with no actionable results does that mean that is the turning point, where my time invested in fastlane is no longer feasible, but more feasible to be in slowlane (really hate to say that). Or what happens if its 20 years of failures with no actionable results?

P.S saw a thread and have started researching stock options. (INSIDERS will know)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
So its been a little more than a year ever since I have read the millionaire fastlane .

I have learned more in this year than anything else and have read more books in this year than I ever had in my life and know that I 100% want to do this and the only thing that is going to satisfy me.

I have to be realistic though, in terms of actual results. I am no where closer to freedom. As of right now, I have had costly failures and spend my days constantly researching. All I am left with right now is a small eBay/amazon business that gives me less than $100 a month. I thought by this time I would have at least had some sustainable income.

I haven't talked to friends, lost over 50lb from not eating, lack of sleep, and haven't seen the world at all. My biggest fear is doing this entrepreneurship for over 5 years with no results. Even with all my newfound knowledge, I realize I don't know a damn thing. So if I have failure over 5 years with no actionable results does that mean that is the turning point, where my time invested in fastlane is no longer feasible, but more feasible to be in slowlane (really hate to say that). Or what happens if its 20 years of failures with no actionable results?

P.S saw an thread and have started researching stock options. (INSIDERS will know)

I've been doing this for 3 years with no financial results, turning 26 in a month. Haven't seen the world, havent partied, haven't got laid much.

No im not takin a break.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I've been doing this for 3 years with no financial results, turning 26 in a month. Haven't seen the world, havent partied, haven't got laid much.

No im not takin a break.

Oh, honestly thought it was just me. What do you tell people at your job, if you have one? I am running out of excuses

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Oh, honestly thought it was just me. What do you tell people at your job, if you have one? I am running out of excuses

maybe it just me and you? :p

Of course i have a job, i pay bills,transportation and food.

Everyone at my job knows everything about me and my goals. They're generally rooting for me. Of course my promises of future parties and fun help my case! :D

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
maybe it just me and you? :p

Of course i have a job, i pay bills,transportation and food.

Everyone at my job knows everything about me and my goals. They're generally rooting for me. Of course my promises of future parties and fun help my case! :D

Oh wow, your environment is entirely different from mine. I have to keep my mouth shut. Headwinds for days...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Keep chipping away.

Go slower, but don't stop.

Don't be so hard on yourself too.

Don't talk to so many people.

Tell people what you've done, not what you hope to do.

Nothing wrong with having a job while you chip away outside work hours.

Who can you help next week? Is there a family member or close friend who needs help? Go do that and see where it takes you?

Don't overcomplicate it.

Get out of your own head.

Get out of your own way.

Get started.

Keep going.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
Every time I think about taking a break or quitting I think about how much I hate where I would be if I just stayed stagnant. If you stop pushing you are guaranteed to stay where you are forever. If you keep pushing forward you will eventually get to where you want to go. What you are feeling will pass. You just need to hang in there and keep going. What helped me the most was just focusing on moving forward and always improving even in the face of failure and extreme self doubt.

Sovereign

Spinning wheels in place
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 5, 2015
I have been at this for... oh too many years (10-ish since i started trying to make money)...
I started out with the most hardcore slow-lane mentality you can imagine.
It was only last year that i started seeing results from it. But my inexperience in some matters caused me to flaunt a great opportunity.
Now i am back at square one with nothing but bad health to show for it (although... my bank account is healthier than ever).

But i learned a lot... in 1 month from now i could be making very decent money.

When to surrender?
Never! Hard pivot if you must, but don't forfeit the game.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
$100 a month after a year means you're doing something very wrong...but here is the thing with entrepreneurship: Find out what you're doing wrong, and fix it. You probably need more input from people that are successful with what you're trying to do.

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
I know this isn't the topic of the OP but I had to chime in

Losing 50 lb is NOT healthy (unless you were overweight)

Get sleep, eat and stay healthy.... this is priority #1. It may not seem like it but your health is an investment. Your mind works better and you feel better when you're healthy. It's understandable to take things to extremes every once in a while, but pulling all nighters every week and eating fast/microwaveable food will hurt you more than it helps you at the end of the day (not to mention that you will save money by cooking food for yourself and save on medical bills by not getting sick). It's tough to go hard in the paint every day when you feel like crap

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I know this isn't the topic of the OP but I had to chime in

Losing 50 lb is NOT healthy (unless you were overweight)

Get sleep, eat and stay healthy.... this is priority #1. It may not seem like it but your health is an investment. Your mind works better and you feel better when you're healthy. It's understandable to take things to extremes every once in a while, but pulling all nighters every week and eating fast/microwaveable food will hurt you more than it helps you at the end of the day (not to mention that you will save money by cooking food for yourself and save on medical bills by not getting sick). It's tough to go hard in the paint every day when you feel like crap

Wish I could like this twice. If you don't take care of your health, you lack respect for yourself.

You don't have to workout like Arnold, but making healthier food choices, getting some quality rest and exercising 3-5 hours per week should not be hard for just about anyone.

There is a huge correlation to sleep and my mood. The days I hate what I am doing, feel like giving up or just can't figure out what to do are usually on days I slept for 4-5 hours. When I am rested I am happy, ready to take charge and make better decisions.

I think many underestimate the benefits of consistently trying to make healthy choices and its effect on your future success.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
Have you learned from your failures?

What businesses have you tried to start and what did you do to get them off the ground and running? Maybe some forum members can see something you didn't that can help you with your next business and which can also help other forum members.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Are you seeking other people's approval?

Just by telling your co-workers you're going to be a millionaire - you get a rush of dopamine from your brain.

Dopamine will make you feel like you've accomplished a goal, even if you haven't.

What would happen if you told them you are just focusing on improving yourself, instead of the updates you're bringing them now?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Just by telling your co-workers you're going to be a millionaire - you get a rush of dopamine from your brain.

Dopamine will make you feel like you've accomplished a goal, even if you haven't.

What would happen if you told them you are just focusing on improving yourself, instead of the updates you're bringing them now?
Good point about the Dopamine.

OP, seriously, don't tell people what you're going to do. Just do it.

Also, remember this line:

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
P.S saw a thread and have started researching stock options. (INSIDERS will know)

You need to stay focused. You shouldn't be messing around with options (at least not yet), especially considering the position you are in.

MJ began trading AFTER he had made money and had money to invest. Bouncing around from one shiny thing to another (aka Shiny object syndrome) will divert your focus too much.

In addition, trading requires a fair amount of capital up front. If you begin trading with $5000, for example, it is statistically improbable that you will achieve significant returns.

A 100% gain would land you with $10,000 which in the grand scheme of things is not life changing.

$5000 also, does not allow you to use proper risk management. Trading with 100% of your portfolio in one or two positions opens you up to an immense risk of blowing up your account. Commissions will also eat you alive.

I know it may seem as though stocks are the Holy Grail, especially with the likes of Timothy Sikes promoting them, but they're not.

So what im trying to say is trading options may not be the best thing for you to be focusing on right now. When you have money to put into a portfolio >25k (imho), then you can think about trading.

Right now learn google AdWords, Facebook Ads, and other business related things. Keep focusing on what youre doing and you will eventually make it work. However, with all things you need balance in your life. Take care of your body, and it will repay you in spades.

Just my .02

Good luck!

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
You have to remember that the fastlane is a process, a lifestyle. It's not an event. Too many people are focussing on the end goal while dragging themselves through hell.

Yes, some days you will be dragging yourself through hell. Some days will be 16 hour work days for weeks on end. But leading a miserable, depressing life in general by losing 50lbs and not seeing your friends is not a fastlane lifestyle at all. Were humans, not robots.

I have a 'break' every single day...By going to the gym. I like to set myself goals here too. This takes my mind off the heavier things. But this is also part of the fastlane lifestyle.

I also decide to reward myself in minor ways. An example could be creating your first website and then spending a day with friends or going on a hike. Obviously don't do this too often, but when i feel i need to wind down a little.

Everyone is different though. You have to find yourself on the journey.

You can't 'complete' the fastlane. You can't just end up at the event. I haven't made a penny in 6 months yet but what's important is that i'm enjoying myself. Whether i have 1 penny or 1 million in the bank, I will probably have the same workrate everyday, because what i do makes me happy.

Instead of thinking, 'what if i dont anything to show for in x amount of years', think 'what if i dont live a life trying to acheive what I want?'

Think process, not event.

Also, about the stock options. Why are you considering them? After a year you surely should have something strong on your mind to acheive. Pick something, focus on it until it fails you. Not until you fail it.

Last edited:

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015

Nobody at my work knows, but one.

No, not approval. Coworkers keep asking me what I do outside of work and I turn down their after work events. So, I keep on giving very broad generic answers. Its getting more awkward everyday. I can't even small talk with them that much because all I can talk about is business which is what I am trying to hide.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016

No, not approval. Coworkers keep asking me what I do outside of work and I turn down their after work events. So, I keep on giving very broad generic answers. Its getting more awkward everyday. I can't even small talk with them that much because all I can talk about is business which is what I am trying to hide.

Listen to Uncle Vester.

tumblr_o0o7z7Qjgw1ueqjtbo1_400.gif

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Im pumped up after reading the thread.
Working 10x hard now.

I am telling you if you lose momentum you are F*cked. Take a step back and see what mistakes you are making and fix it. Once you choose a direction go all in. When you go all in and you have no result its time to shift direction again.

Imagine yourself as the captain of a ship, you change direction to aim towards your destination and then you go forward. If a ship just changes direction without going forward it will not reach anywhere AKA You cannot dabble. If a ship goes forward but never changes direction it wont reach its destination AKA You need to adapt and change as well. Its like duality, you need to stay focused on one thing and change focus as well.

For now if you need money start freelancing. If you are getting paid for freelancing it just means that you have skills and that you are honing your process. And you need skills as an entrepreneur.

Again, dont quit. Clear your head by meeting some friends, go out to party for a while - it might even bring in new perspectives. I am going through the same phase so you have company as well :)

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
This is the real prize. The failing, the learning, and the inevitable growth that follows as a business man and person.

If what you are doing isn't working, change your approach, help people, solve their problems, watch what happens...

The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people.” - Randy Pausch

How you perceive these bricks walls ultimately makes the man.

Dont. Give. Up. Keep going...

p.s.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...oes-everyone-want-to-get-there-so-fast.41159/

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is the real prize. The failing, the learning, and the inevitable growth that follows as a business man and person.

If what you are doing isn't working, change your approach, help people, solve their problems, watch what happens...

The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people.” - Randy Pausch

How you perceive these bricks walls ultimately makes the man.

Dont. Give. Up. Keep going...

p.s.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...oes-everyone-want-to-get-there-so-fast.41159/
^^^ Perfect.

Also the perfect link for further reading.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
What if Steve Jobs gave up when he was kicked out of Apple?
What if the Google-boys just quit their project after they were rejected by Yahoo?
Did Musk quit his Tesla-project when the Top Gear boys made fun of his first model?

F*ck no. Because their goal was bigger than all the failures they encountered. If you will take a break, there's a big chance that break will remain the rest of your life.

You're not alone in this situation. Don't think you are no closer to your goal because you are after each failure.

Besides, ask yourself: what's the alternative? Finding a comfortable 9-5 job and binge drink yourself in the weekends to make you forget about your miserable life? Make yourself bigger than your problems, get over it and push further.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

You realize that your conflict is self generated. If you cannot talk about business with your co-workers, then find someone that you can talk about it with.

You don't need to feel awkward in your discussions. Your life is about you, not your co-workers.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My biggest fear is doing this entrepreneurship for over 5 years with no results.
How can you do this without fear? What if you did work for five years without results? There are many stories of people that hit it big after many years of perceived failures. Some people make progress right away. Some may take a few years. There are some that never will.

The big question is, how can you proceed without the churn? This should be an enjoyable process. All this negativity that you feel is being generated by yourself.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You need to take care of yourself first, even if that means losing momentum and putting entrepreneurship "on hold".

You can't rally quit entrepreneurship unless you outright quit.

I disagree with the conventional wisdom on this forum that you need to be extremely heads down and not lose momentum even if it's to your own detriment. Several kinds of entrepreneurs that are very successful sit back and wait until the right opportunity comes and then go REALLY HARD. There's no reason you can't do that.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Keep chipping away.

Go slower, but don't stop.

Don't be so hard on yourself too.

Don't talk to so many people.

Tell people what you've done, not what you hope to do.

Nothing wrong with having a job while you chip away outside work hours.

Who can you help next week? Is there a family member or close friend who needs help? Go do that and see where it takes you?

Don't overcomplicate it.

Get out of your own head.

Get out of your own way.

Get started.

Keep going.
Perfect answer

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Thanks everyone, my mind was just slipping off. I actually just got another ecommerce business right now. Onwards again.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016

Life gives you what you ask of it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you ask it for a slowlane life, that is what it will give you. If you work your a$$ off for a fastlane life and never quit, that is what it will give you.

I say this with respect, you are being weak.

I get it, entrepreneurs constantly get rejected and fail. Believe me, I know the feeling. It gets hard to keep going despite the failures. But you have to trust in yourself and keep pushing. You need to understand that failures are a big part of the process. Learn from them.

Snap out of it. Success often comes to those just as they are about to give up.

This shit is hard, it has many obstacles and challenges. When I went into business I knew I was going to face difficult times. I knew at times I was going to want to quit. I vowed to myself that no matter what happens, I will keep going. You're already struggling, get something out of it. If you quit now, everything you have done was for nothing. Failure does not make it a waste of time. Giving up on yourself does.

Take some time and get your mind back in the right place. Look at why you have been failing. Maybe you need a new vehicle? If you have gone this long and achieved minimal results, odds are you are doing something wrong. Figure out what it is.

Good luck man, whatever you do, do not give up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.