The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
This is a topic I have researched and gotten advise on allot. Most crap, allot too complicated and others a waste of time.

Resulting in developing my own format, jumbled together from external sources, that to this day still changes and gets adjusted according to books i am or have read. MFL and Unscripted have caused me to reconsider them again.

So before I put too much thought into it again, I wanted to get a general opinion on how you guys put down your goals, how you break them down and most important how you action them.

For me Goals need to be achievable, measurable and actionable.
And burn with excitement when reading them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO

What is considered achievable? Most people would say a 6 figure job is achievable. This community might say becoming a billionaire is achievable. Some might say anything is achievable. So having achievable goals doesn't matter if it could be anything.

Same with actionable. Couldn't anything be considered actionable?

Can't anything be measured?

I don't think these things matter at all.

I think what matters is figuring out where you want to go and then working towards that daily.

Lets say your goal is to lose 50lbs and have a mile time under 6 minutes? (measurable) That's a bad goal.

A good goal would be to eat a specific healthy diet everyday. And run every day. These two things may achieve the outcome above but that outcome isn't your goal. The daily process is your goal.

I've been trying to set up my daily routine (process) in a way that may lead me to where I want to be in the future.

Some people have a morning routine. I have a 24 hour routine. And everyday I try to improve it and get better. And some days I decide to change it in a way I think will make me more productive or more successful. It's constantly evolving and changing with my varying life but always with a long-term vision.

Most people make big yearly goals on New Years and then fail to achieve them. I don't have yearly goals, I have hourly goals. If I can achieve my hourly goals, then I can achieve my daily goals. If I can achieve my daily goals, then I can achieve my monthly goals. If I can achieve my monthly goals, then I can achieve my yearly goals.

I don't have a big yearly goal. I have a bunch of small, consistent hourly goals with a yearly vision.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
If they're acheivable, so no stretch goals? Stop thinking, write our your list, prioritize them, and focus on first 3. That's all there is. I've spent too much time thinking about this stuff, less time actually doing it. Sometimes you just gotta do it and course correct as you go.

All the best.

rebel dude

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Oct 8, 2018
the technique that I 've used for a month or so is the power list.
it's very simple and effective.you just set the 5 tasks you need to do for Tomorow and start executing it.
you don't put goals in it like I want to make 5000$ you put actionable tasks like.
call this person.
create website
send emails
etc..
it is a very easy technique

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
I have a 24 hour routine. And everyday I try to improve it and get better. And some days I decide to change it in a way I think will make me more productive or more successful. It's constantly evolving and changing with my varying life but always with a long-term vision.

Most people make big yearly goals on New Years and then fail to achieve them. I don't have yearly goals, I have hourly goals. If I can achieve my hourly goals, then I can achieve my daily goals. If I can achieve my daily goals, then I can achieve my monthly goals. If I can achieve my monthly goals, then I can achieve my yearly goals.

Very different approach - thank you.

With reference to achievable, measurable and actionable I refer to being realistic - this doesn’t mean we should or have a BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) but it needs to be a process - Step by step and make sure those steps add up to the final goal and destination.

However I really like your approach to daily goals and a 24 hour routine. It also has the potential to become a habit and continue forever.

The question remains, have you grown as a person with your approach. Are you moving forward with life, family, finances and health?

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
If they're acheivable, so no stretch goals? Stop thinking, write our your list, prioritize them, and focus on first 3. That's all there is. I've spent too much time thinking about this stuff, less time actually doing it. Sometimes you just gotta do it and course correct as you go.

All the best.

Can’t agree with you more. I have my goals set and yes they are 3 and I am working towards them.

It’s still very interesting to see different approaches and so see if I am the right track. I did enjoy the notion of a 24 hour routine - different approach.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
This is a topic I have researched and gotten advise on allot. Most crap, allot too complicated and others a waste of time.

Resulting in developing my own format, jumbled together from external sources, that to this day still changes and gets adjusted according to books i am or have read. MFL and Unscripted have caused me to reconsider them again.

So before I put too much thought into it again, I wanted to get a general opinion on how you guys put down your goals, how you break them down and most important how you action them.

And burn with excitement when reading them.

I just realized that my goals were all over the place. I would achieve some and not any other. What I learned is only work on 1 GOAL. Nothing else. Focus on it like a laser beam. Its hard to become a jack of all trades. Tackle things one at a time.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Didn't want to create a new thread for this.

Any advice for defining your goals?

I'm in a period right now where I don't know what i want, when i want it etc. No plan for the future, no goals on my list. And unable to identify/produce any goals. Feeling a bit lost on this point.

Any advice is appreciated.

(Sorry for hijacking but thought it was related to OP)

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
However I really like your approach to daily goals and a 24 hour routine. It also has the potential to become a habit and continue forever.

This is the whole idea. You are what you repeatedly do.

If your goal is to make a million dollars. You might work your a$$ off and get there. And then you might stop working once you get there because you reached your goal. You did it! And that may cause you to eventually lose it all.

But if your goal is to grow a company, and help your customers every single day.. well thats a different story.

Shirkahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Oct 6, 2018
Connecticut
Didn't want to create a new thread for this.

I'm in a period right now where I don't know what i want, when i want it etc. No plan for the future, no goals on my list. And unable to identify/produce any goals. Feeling a bit lost on this point.

(Sorry for hijacking but thought it was related to OP)

Not all, great to get contributions. You need to first take a white paper approach and just write down what want! This is not a one time process, this might take done time - keep the paper with you, on you night stand, at work, at gym. Ideas come on an adhoc basis and cannot be forced. Give it a few days, weeks, a month. Once you have you dreams, wants and wishes written down do the following:

For each item write down why you want it and then how you think you can get it.

Now you have a start then you can build on them - timelines, routine, daily task. Share them with someone and let them hold you accountable.

Just go and do it.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
SHIofTech02-940x400.jpg

Vanesco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 29, 2018
I have a goal to which I have been going for almost 3 years, no matter how, and how much time I will spend on it - the main thing is that it was realized. For this, I stand my ground and work hard.

Areding

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 12, 2018
Every person in life should have their own goals, a life without goals and dreams - not a life. We need this in order to go forward, this is the motivation to become better.

Captain04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 21, 2018
India
I highly recommend Habitica if you are planning to set up a routine.

My daily routine includes Micro goals which comes directly under my Macro level goals. I also have a M.I.T. (Most Important Task) which I have to do everyday, which moves me closer to my ultimate goal and which even if it was the only thing done on that specific day, would make that day a success.

Eg., Having $xxx,xxx as your passive income might be your ultimate goal, under which investing money, under which building a business and getting money, under which opening that TMF you bought and reading the first page.

goal-hierarchy.png

But you won't be able to do the micros consistently if they are not in line with your values. Define your values first, define why you want the top-level goal (or whether you really want it), then get on it.

Legend

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 11, 2018
Nashville, TN

@Sander I can relate. I'm not a complicated guy. I don't want a mansion, or a lambo, or yaht. I just want the freedom to decide what I do with my life. This is a very broad goal, and it can feel like you can't work towards such. But I was, and maybe you are too, thinking too far ahead. Freedom will be a result. Now my goal is to provide value to other people. How you're going to do that is up to you and your ability. Now with that in mind, you can go back to the OP. Concentrate on today; the results (profit, freedom, goals you never thought of, etc) will come naturally.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.