The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Secure options for ebook hosting and delivery on website?

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
I have a website up and running, close to 40 articles in. Going to write an ebook soon.

As far as I know, I can either use Paypal for payment and then manually deliver it myself, or redirect them to a URL(very easy to pirate), or use some sort of hybrid payment and automated delivery system.

I tried looking around before posting here, so far the most common recommendation is to host on my website then redirect them from Paypal to the URL... but that is just so easy to copy(the URL I mean).

What is the most secure way of handling this? Paypal delivery merged with an automated content delivery without any access to specific URLs looks like the best bet.

I'm a beginner, so I don't know which option is the best. Competitors in my field often have a sophisticated looking payment system where they let people enter their details, with the option for either a card payment or Paypal, delivery is automated with a redirect to a thank you page.

Basically just asking how to actually sell digital products on there!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
One of the simplest solutions (and most secure) is to use a htaccess file to password protect the download page or the file itself giving them a log in details through the thank you page and/or email confirmation.

Bear in mind there is little point going to great lengths to protect your ebook as, if it is any good, it will get copied and shared on torrent sites somewhere along the line.

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
One of the simplest solutions (and most secure) is to use a htaccess file to password protect the download page or the file itself giving them a log in details through the thank you page and/or email confirmation.

Bear in mind there is little point going to great lengths to protect your ebook as, if it is any good, it will get copied and shared on torrent sites somewhere along the line.

I'll look into this, thank you.

Is it possible to only offer it for an online reading or something? My competitors do it. You can sign is after payment and get lifetime access to it, but I don't know if its only ebook or videos too.

Sellers also mark their products as courses... is there any difference between this an ebook? Way back, some of them used to sell ebooks, but now their websites say its a course.

Edit: which automated content delivery system would you recommend to integrate with Paypal?

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Personally I don't like paypal. As a content provider or seller of goods PayPal puts too much power in the hands of the customer and too little in the hands of the provider. They can freeze your account at any time for almost any reason and you have a hell of a job getting through to the right people to sort out any issues. As a consumer paypal can be very useful though I hardly ever use it myself these days.

An ebook is a static single product. Simply a book in electronic form. An online course on the other hand will usually combine video, slide presentations, downloadable content such as work books, PDF's, cheat sheets. Many be audio that you can listen to whilst on the move. In other words far more than a static book hence why they usually cost a lot more, as a lot more time, effort and expense goes into their production.

If you are thinking of going beyond an ebook into course creation then look at solutions such as Udemy, Teachable and Kajabi. These can provide an all in one solution including payment processing.

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
Personally I don't like paypal. As a content provider or seller of goods PayPal puts too much power in the hands of the customer and too little in the hands of the provider. They can freeze your account at any time for almost any reason and you have a hell of a job getting through to the right people to sort out any issues. As a consumer paypal can be very useful though I hardly ever use it myself these days.

An ebook is a static single product. Simply a book in electronic form. An online course on the other hand will usually combine video, slide presentations, downloadable content such as work books, PDF's, cheat sheets. Many be audio that you can listen to whilst on the move. In other words far more than a static book hence why they usually cost a lot more, as a lot more time, effort and expense goes into their production.

If you are thinking of going beyond an ebook into course creation then look at solutions such as Udemy, Teachable and Kajabi. These can provide an all in one solution including payment processing.

Will do. Thank you for the detailed input.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Gumroad?

I’m sure there’s others.

Maybe @MTF knows some solutions?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I just use Gumroad and send people to a download page. I don't care if someone pirates it, those who want to support my work will still buy, those who pirate will keep pirating.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.