The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Save Yourself Years Of Frustration; It Worked For Me!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks @MustImprove for a kick a$$ thread, and walking the talk.

Can anyone see why @MustImprove is seen as a problem solver, or more importantly, WHY business people would come to him to get his help?

Does it look like he's trying to help?

Does it look like he's doing so because he wants YOU to succeed, or because he's in it for what HE can get out of it?

(Apologies if you're a she @MustImprove .)

We all are sitting on Gold mines, if only we could help each other more, create valuable solutions, solve problems.
Amen.

A story I originally posted here:

Due to a clerical error, a man gets to choose whether he spends eternity in heaven or hell.

He asks if he can take a quick peek at both before he chooses.

They show him the canteen in hell first.

It's a massive banquet table with fabulous food and beautiful ornate chairs. The smells make his mouth water and stomach grumble.

He wonders if this is a mistake.

The dinner bell sounds and people shuffle in silently. They look gaunt and miserable, with a tortured look in their eyes.

They seat themselves and start to eat. It's then he notices the spoons are 2 feet long.

The delicious food falls off the spoons as they try in vain to feed themselves.

They show him the canteen in heaven next.

It's a massive banquet table with fabulous food and beautiful ornate chairs. The smells make his mouth water and stomach grumble.

It looks exactly the same as the canteen in hell.

He looks closely and all the spoons are 2 feet long.

He wonders if this is a mistake.

The dinner bell sounds and people file in chatting amongst themselves. They look well-fed and happy, with big smiles on their faces.

The seat themselves and start to eat.

They use the 2 foot spoons to scoop up the delicious food and serve the person opposite them.

The canteens are exactly the same.

For some it's heaven, because they choose to help each other.

For others it's hell, because they choose to help themselves.

Your experience of business and life will differ depending on what you choose.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MustImprove

Speed Is Good, usually only in the right direction
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
My mum has a ministry she founded, but she didn't have a website and for over 8 years now, she's been begging my elder bro (who is a web-developer) to help her design anything, but he has never had the time cause of his job. Last week i saw a video posted by @Silverhawk851 about wordpress sites and decided to build one for her. I didn't know how to code (i still don't know how to code) but i built her something really incredible. I just called her and was like mum i'm going to build you a website, my God, she was overjoyed, i'd never seen her so happy.

Hey @Dami-B,

I just wanted to compliment you on your action here. This is a nice example of the "solving" mind set, and the heart warming positivity a surprise solution can generate.

Just a thought......I don't know you or your mum, but she sounds like a lovely type. I'll be guessing a bit, but I reckon the imbalance might just be in her favour if you look back at everything she has done for you. Mums are generally marvelous things.:)

Anyway, you didn't know how to build a website, but you just "got on" and spanked every obstacle that wp-config.php could conjure. Good job!

The congregation might contain several business people......they might need a good website themselves....they might be impressed with your work. They might even be impressed with your work and with your attitude since you solved a problem, not only for your mum but also for an important part of their community....for free!

You never know where your good reputation will get you, but you have certainly given yourself a much bigger chance of getting there.

...and when you close a deal with a real business, you'll be able show us your Whoopi Goldberg Motown boogie.

Now that will be worth some Rep....for sure!

Keep it up Dami-B!

aimon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Nov 5, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, This is my first post after finding the forum but I know a successful software entrepreneur who once told me something similar. Solving small problems was the thing which got him into bigger 100k contracts. At one point his client just needed his daughters videos on DVD and my friend hand delivered them to the clients office. The point was he became the technical go to guy for his clients even if he wasn't an expert in that area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
Solving small problems was the thing which got him into bigger 100k contracts. At one point his client just needed his daughters videos on DVD and my friend hand delivered them to the clients office.
Brilliant example...solving a small problem in a delightful way for the right person = Double plus plus wonga

...and welcome, you have found a terrific place.:)

aimon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Nov 5, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Brilliant example...solving a small problem in a delightful way for the right person = Double plus plus wonga

...and welcome, you have found a terrific place.:)
Thanks mate, Every time he did this he got a slice of a very valuable persons time and was endeared. Makes sense when you think about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
@MustImprove Awesome thread! Loving your writing style too.

Question: If you had a company aimed at helping small businesses e.g. Marketing for Lawyers, and you want to provide them value upfront so that they will trust you and maybe try out your service.

How would you go about that?

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
This is a nice example of the "solving" mind set, and the heart warming positivity a surprise solution can generate.
Thank you for the kind words.
And Yes! That's why I wanted to become an entrepreneur in the first place. Its just another word for problem solver.

They might even be impressed with your work and with your attitude since you solved a problem, not only for your mum but also for an important part of their community....for free!
Haha..funny story, How I got my first and current client. He runs an e-commerce store and has no idea what he's doing, I was asking about his analytics and traffic sources, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Once i started talking about sales funnels, email marketing, Adwords, Facebook Ads, its was obvious he needed my help, His total marketing plan was to drive 10000 likes on facebook.
After a seasoned chat with him, he almost begged me to take over his internet marketing and if i do really well for him, he could even be a possible investor for when next im launching a business ( cus i opened up to him about my past failed businesses)
He has the money and knowledge about the industry but zero knowledge about internet marketing, but with my expertise and knowledge, i'm more than confident to help him build something truly magical. I see my mates here dragging around with their C.V's in this terrible scorching sun, beggin for jobs and praying for connections, whereas just a simple chat opened me up to a possible business opportunity to serve a niche.
If I hadn't failed at my business for a year, I won't have been driven to find solutions and read MJ's book, to land in this forum, to read thread's like @JasonR and threads like this that have expounded my knowledge and skillset. I'm beyond lucky to be a member of this forum and i'm grateful for that.
And why did that business fail? because at the very core i shifted my mind-set from problem solving to money chasing, now im resetting it all back.
Sorry to derail thread

Mums are generally marvelous things.:)
Oh yes! She's the best and deserves way more

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
@MustImprove Awesome thread! Loving your writing style too.

Question: If you had a company aimed at helping small businesses e.g. Marketing for Lawyers, and you want to provide them value upfront so that they will trust you and maybe try out your service.

How would you go about that?

Turn up with a valuable lead

Give it to them, with an agreement for a follow-up chat/call next week

.....and we're off to the pseudo code races (it's not that bad, honest!). :)

GET next valuable lead

<next week arrives and likable fastlaner @tafy enters stage left>

WHILE super rich lawyer client still tolerating you DO:

GOTO or CALL super rich lawyer client after a few days​

IF previous lead = valuable
THEN offer "$X per lead" deal with no long term obligation​

ELSE offer next valuable lead to super rich lawyer client
GET another valuable lead​

END WHILE LOOP

POST a letter thanking super rich lawyer client for their time

....and the already stellar reputation of @tafy will burn a little brighter whatever happens.....:)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Turn up with a valuable lead

Give it to them, with an agreement for a follow-up chat/call next week

.....and we're off to the pseudo code races (it's not that bad, honest!). :)

GET next valuable lead

<next week arrives and likable fastlaner @tafy enters stage left>

WHILE super rich lawyer client still tolerating you DO:

GOTO or CALL super rich lawyer client after a few days​

IF previous lead = valuable
THEN offer "$X per lead" deal with no long term obligation
ELSE offer next valuable lead to super rich lawyer client
GET another valuable lead​

END WHILE LOOP

POST a letter thanking super rich lawyer client for their time

....and the already stellar reputation of @tafy will burn a little brighter whatever happens.....:)
Funny you should say that. That is exactly the strategy I am using at the moment, and it works a treat. Why? Because you're bringing them what they want and need. They don't want to hear from Andy the AdWords guy, or directory guy, or marketing consultant. They don't give a sh*t about me and what I want. They just want to solve their biggest problem, which is not enough leads...

Starting to see the pattern?

TextbookAnswers

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 30, 2014
Chicago
Funny you should say that. That is exactly the strategy I am using at the moment, and it works a treat. Why? Because you're bringing them what they want and need. They don't want to hear from Andy the AdWords guy, or directory guy, or marketing consultant. They don't give a sh*t about me and what I want. They just want to solve their biggest problem, which is not enough leads...

Starting to see the pattern?

To be honest - brilliant strategy. Clients want what they want - period. Coming in the door with a basket of fresh leads really could work. It would work for me... I have been a marketing consultant and never thought to come to the client with a lead. Brillant. I am alway coming to them with what I offer with the hope of results. But if I can rework the system to generate leads upfront ( and wait to get a client ) I change the power equation to my side.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
To be honest - brilliant strategy. Clients want what they want - period. Coming in the door with a basket of fresh leads really could work. It would work for me... I have been a marketing consultant and never thought to come to the client with a lead. Brillant. I am alway coming to them with what I offer with the hope of results. But if I can rework the system to generate leads upfront ( and wait to get a client ) I change the power equation to my side.
Another advantage is that you then only speak to people who you *already* know you can generate leads for (aka help).

Sorry if derailing @MustImprove !

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
Another advantage is that you then only speak to people who you *already* know you can generate leads for (aka help).

Sorry if derailing @MustImprove !

Not at all Andy, very much on the money (literally).

...and of course once you are talking to people who you know will profit significantly from your work, your whole confidence and demeanor improves.

You don't shout and strut like a gobby Premiership footballer after a post-match shandy.

No. You carry yourself in a purposeful, considered, and "soft power" manner of the sort that @jon.a has seen/described in various military and business acquaintances. Those people just "know" they're in control.

When you (any of us, not you personally) are good at your job, effectively knocking on doors with a swag bag of moola for the clients, your sub-conscious body language snaps up and says "I've got the power".

You win more business because you are confident. You are more confident because you win business.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not at all Andy, very much on the money (literally).

...and of course once you are talking to people who you know will profit significantly from your work, your whole confidence and demeanor improves.

You don't shout and strut like a gobby Premiership footballer after a post-match shandy.

No. You carry yourself in a purposeful, considered, and "soft power" manner of the sort that @jon.a has seen/described in various military and business acquaintances. Those people just "know" they're in control.

When you (any of us, not you personally) are good at your job, effectively knocking on doors with a swag bag of moola for the clients, your sub-conscious body language snaps up and says "I've got the power".

You win more business because you are confident. You are more confident because you win business.
Oooo. Very good observation @MustImprove

This is happening with me at the moment.

I've always thought we have the following sliding scale in order of increasing perceived value:

1) I'll show you how to do it.

2) I'll help you do it.

3) I'll do it for you.

Now that I KNOW I can help businesses in certain verticals in certain locations (because I've already proved to myself I can do it) I've unlocked a hidden bonus level, which is:

4) I'm doing it anyway. Do you want in or what?​

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
4) I'm doing it anyway. Do you want in or what?
Bang on, and no mistake.

....along with the implied follow-up line......

"....because if you don't, your competitor does."

"Soft power" a go go. Top work Andy!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Going back to your original thesis @MustImprove...

It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that helping business owners is business networking on steroids.

They tell their other business friends and clients, and that word-of-mouth referral because you helped them, beats any other BS inbound or outbound "marketing strategies".

I quote two sayings in my signature.

doOYhPG.png

Their truth gets more and more obvious to me the more I believe and follow them.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Awesome post. This reminds me of what goes on at my job. I'm a bartender at a fine dining restaurant, but a while ago I overheard the owner on the phone with a local tech support company.

The printer was down in his office. I told him I had Tech background and asked if I could take a look at it. Easy fix. He asked if I knew how to make computers fast.

Yes.

Yes I do.

Now a funny thing happened. I was 100% fine with doing all this. When other employees found out, their first response was,
"He should have paid you extra."
What why? It took me a grand total of 40 minutes to fix. I'm still technically paid, since I'm on the clock.
"He was going to pay someone anyway."
Yes. But I spared him that expense.

Since then I've become the go-to guy for all tech problems.

Long story short. I handle their:
Web marketing
Website
POS System. (A new skill)
Menu design

All being paid extra now, and never asked for any of it outright.

This is why I stop people who say "If you are good any something, never do it for free." or "a business needs to make money, never do anything for free".

Sure you pay with a little time. But its marketing that pays off.

One more good thing that happened is now he tells me any and every technical problem. I have several SaaS ideas from this. One is an online food ordering system. Solves a big problem the big companies don't.

Anyway, that's my "help" story. Looking forward to hearing more.

+REP.

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
Since then I've become the go-to guy for all tech problems.

Long story short. I handle their:
Web marketing
Website
POS System. (A new skill)
Menu design

THIS. IS. PERFECT. Perfect for anyone still doubting.

........again, a real world example of real world problem solving leading to "easy" real world wonga.

This time, straight from the barman's mouth. You can always trust your barman, right?:)

A most fantastic lesson to complement the thread. Whatever @DaRK9 is pouring, we should be supping.

Sheeeesh, the story of you solving your bosses extra IT problem and getting new work is valuable in its own right. But "ohanas bananas", the fact that you solved an IT problem whilst working as barman, well, for your boss that's manna from heaven!

Do you know, I read some of @DaRK9 's old posts. I love it when I can find snippets and clues that can help the individuals and hopefully others too.

Check out what this wise "old" fellow had to say a while ago (and of course, he's not old at all)........

...The value you put out effects the money you receive tremendously. A great lesson for me, and I would recommend any young person here to give it a try

Hush now....That sound that you can hear, that's the wisdom of a seasoned businessman coursing through the veins of a young bartender with BIG potential.

For everyone reading, watch @DaRK9 's lips carefully when he says .....

Hmmmm, interesting, veeeerrrryyy interesting..... "...never asked for any of it outright."

In my first post on this thread I pretty much concluded with...

....or you can choose to be a problem solver that the mil will find. It really is your choice.

By going out of his way to solve his boss' problem @DaRK9 has chosen to be a problem solver that the mil will find.

@DaRK9 You epitomize the "correct" attitude. If you keep this up you will be a millionaire!..... and I'll drink to that!

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
By going out of his way to solve his boss' problem @DaRK9 has chosen to be a problem solver that the mil will find.
@DaRK9 You epitomize the "correct" attitude. If you keep this up you will be a millionaire!..... and I'll drink to that!

giphy.gif

The mindset took a while I will admit. But I'm getting there.

Thanks for the kind words. If anyone has any drink questions, let me know :D

TextbookAnswers

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 30, 2014
Chicago
This post deserves five stars. Right now I am "sulking" in my room thinking about the money I need by Friday. Made 60 cold calls today to no avail. Okay. Tomorrow is Tuesday and I will try plan B. All I will do is offer to solve problems. I have skills and I can help someone. Just have to help the right person. Outstanding and timely post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martez_007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 9, 2014
@MustImprove
Thank you
& I would interested to know ...How would I go about finding a problem to solve? How can I let people know I want to help them? especially people in entrepreneurship?

Jata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 21, 2015
Hey @TomTrepreneur !

You were first to bat in today’s Fastlane innings of life, so I’m going to dig in to your questions first.

I want to give you a personalised and thought-out answer, and so (if you will excuse me) I took a look through some of your old posts.

You come across as a decent and enthusiastic type. A good foundation! I’m not looking to beat you up or anything, and stalking isn’t my bag, so just take what I say as well intentioned. I want you to get “it”…….and all the joy that goes with “it”.

About 20 months ago in another thread, amongst other stuff TomTrepreneur said:

How would you go about finding out the information you would need in order to provide value in an area where it is lacking….”

MustImprove Translation Services Ltd reckons that might mean:

“……in what way do we go looking for problems to solve?”​

About 20 hours ago in this thread, TomTrepreneur said:

“…..in what way do we go looking for problems to solve?”

About 20 months ago in the other thread, a real smart person with more that 10k in his RepBank called @Get Right said to TomTrepreneur:

“Analysis paralysis.

Get in the game bro.

Love to see action in your next post! Go get it!”

….and, about 20 months ago in the other thread, some new guy called @MJ DeMarco with oh, I dunno, about 120k in his RepBank said:

“Engage in life. Engage an industry.”

…and yet….

About 20 hours ago in this thread, TomTrepreneur said:

“In a nutshell, my life currently comprises of me studying for most of the day, going to the gym in the evening and meeting friends on the weekends for drinks... “

Now that indicates to me that you haven’t really decided to be an entrepreneur yet, but you have decided that you like the potential payoff. Hmmmmm…….

….and that’s like trying to hit the winning home run, clinch the title, swig the champers, do the interviews, jump in the Lambo, raz back to your swanky mansion, and slap your supermodel wife on her tush as she pours the Margaux and flips your Wagyu steak……

……whilst you are on the back row of the stands with your soggy popcorn.

So yeh, like I said, first you got to decide man!

That’s step 1.

The key thing about this entrepreneurship lark is that you need to build a small snowball and start it rolling. In fact, scratch that, you probably need to build hundreds.

The point is that not all snowballs will hold together and gather momentum, but eventually you get better at building the core of the snowball, and better at rolling them. Then you have a chance of building one that starts to roll on its own, adding to its own layers as it trundles.

So, let’s assume that this time you REALLY decide to be an entrepreneur. Then what?

Let me address your questions directly:

“….is it literally as direct as asking random people "do you have any problems you need help with"?

No, if you do that, folks will think you’re a scout with a hormone issue. Best not.

“Like literally helping someone take out the trash? I know that's not much brain work, but is this the kind of attitude you're talking about, just to get into the mode of helping people in at least a small way?”

Now you are getting warmer, and since you mention the trash, let’s get all hypothetical.

Imagine, go on play along…..

…….You are on your way to work, and you see a previously un-noticed elderly neighbour struggling to lift their rubbish bag. Do you……

A) Trot on. “Hey, life’s tough for everyone dude, en I got ma mojo on to pay 6 dollars for a Starbucks pumpkin special!”

B) Stop and help.​

Turns out Mrs Jones wants to give you two dollars. Obviously you politely refuse (now ain’t that the perfect word!).

Turns out Mrs Jones has several elderly neighbours, and you know that old Jack has a bad back, and Mrs Jones used to help him, but now Mrs Jones can’t even do her own really.

Turns out your town has an aging population problem.

Turns out the official regulations forbid your official city refuse disposal experts from officially setting foot on private property.

Turns out that Mrs Jones is willing to introduce the pleasant and kind young man to her old dear’s tea party group so you can ask all the questions you want over a nice Earl Grey.

Turns out 10 of the 20 think 40 dollars a month to have an emptied, cleaned and washed bin at a time of their choosing, is a fair deal.

Well done! That’s a 400 dollar monthly recurring revenue from one street.

Hey, setting foot on the field of play wasn’t so bad was it?

Turns out that’s a snowball.​

As MJ and Jean-Luc say…..”Engage”!

Look you just must get out there and interact with people….naturally.

That can be in a slowlane job….there must a problem to solve there, otherwise the job wouldn’t exist.

Can you solve the original problem better?

Can you help the business owner save money?​

It can be at the gym (good for you)….what could be improved for the members?

Just casually chat to the manager

After small talk, say that you are passionate about improving businesses, especially good ones like his

Offer to do a member survey for the manager (for free)

Find the biggest problem

Find a viable solution.

Deliver a prototype (for free)

Ask him if he wants you to increase his member’s satisfaction significantly​

These are just examples based only on what you said, but those “off the cuff” examples can lead to serious Fastlane results.

“ I myself have been looking for a way to get started for quite a while, and researching to find a niche on the internet is the thing I've planning on doing to get started, but since you mention no need for research, I'm trying to determine, do you mean completely irregardless of whether we have our niche, product or service or not?”

When I said “no research” I was illustrating the point that once you have solved a problem for a person, they tend to trust you to solve their next problem. So I didn’t need to research to win this particular business. My previous action negated the need for research in this case.

Research can be important. When you have a snowball rolling, do research to make the snowball roll faster or better….but you don’t necessarily need it to get started.

My advice

You strike me as a good chap who has spent a long time procrastinating, looking/researching all over trying to find the perfect place to focus your effort. Stop. The perfect place does not exist.

Your previous 2 years of super-duper in-depth but ultimately fruitless research should tell you that.

Start building some small snowballs by having natural conversations with people about their lives in whichever organisation/location you have in your daily life.

Observe, ask questions, and listen.

Ponder.

Think how you can improve their life.

Make a gentle suggestion to them as to how you can help them make the improvement.

Listen again.

Do a quick/small proof of concept for free.

Worst case scenario: one person with one problem (now hopefully solved) thinks you’re a decent and spiffing fellow. Your reputation grows.

Best case scenario, you discover a scalable business opportunity​

I advise to start solving problems that are all around you, whatever your current industry, status, or hobbies. These are your potentially big snowballs.

Don’t look for massively scalable problems at first. Just start creating value in the world for someone.

As you do more, you will get better, and you will start to see which snowballs are rolling better than others. Then you can focus on those.

You have spent 2 years researching. Imagine that instead of researching you solved just one small problem a week for someone….taking trash out, gym surveys, or whatever.

By now you would have rolled 100+ snowballs, thereby massively increasing your chance of finding a real problem in the real world that you can solve and scale.

I think you are probably a pretty smart guy. Honestly, which use of your time makes more sense to you if you look at it objectively?...assuming you want to be a fastlaner!

Research doesn’t smash the ball out of the stadium. Focused energy with the right solution just might.

You can be a player, but you must decide to be player.

You might need to start on a little league field being watched by the community litter pickers, but that little league field is the first step to the majors.

You need to believe that the apparently small/hidden problems can lead to something much much bigger.

They can.

Ditch the soggy popcorn, pull on your problem solving plimsolls, “get in the game bro”, and start rolling some snow….then you have a massively greater chance of getting that Wagyu.

I truly wish you the best of success!

That question was floating around in my mind too and that response is fantastic.

Option

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 22, 2013
Netherlands
Great post! Very logical and actionable advice!

@MustImprove
Thank you
& I would interested to know ...How would I go about finding a problem to solve? How can I let people know I want to help them? especially people in entrepreneurship?

Look Around. Problems are everywhere. Everyday they hit you and the people around you.

I need to deal with stress, so I pay for yoga and qi-gong classes to solve that problem.
I eat local grass fed beef, not sold at local supermarket, so I pay someone to deliver beef to my house.
I have a cat with weak kidneys and bad teeth, so I pay someone for special foods.
My back is stiff, so I pay someone to help me with that.

Vica versa.. this 'business owners' also have problems.. they need leads, marketing.. And other things.

Suddenly I talk with a friend who wants to lose weight and deal with stress..
I educate him about yoga and healthy food, and refer the yoga class and beef delivery service. Mini problem solved :)

Just casual conversation alone is enough.

In my life last few weeks alone..

Friend is doing an interview for an overseas job, asking for advice what to write and say.
Friend became single and needs advice on how to date woman on Tinder.
The therapist of my girlfriend told her she doesn't has enough customers, so she has to do a cleaning job on the side.
Friend of my mom has a successful freelance business but is working 60 hour weeks and needs to automate stuff cause he is stressed crazy
Friend is going to jail and he needs a good lawyer.
Aunt needs help selling her house, just wants to get it over with Asap.
Girl on the street doing sales told me she craves an adventurous job.
Niece wants to grow her coaching business online with physical product but has no clue how.
Friend cannot concentrate on writing, needs accountability partner and productivity system.
Business owner has list but no clue how to monetize.
My cat puked on the carpet, again.

Lots of problems.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks again @MustImprove

Richie_Sage

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 31, 2015
There's one little thing that I'd like to say...it's very nasty and it's...ha, just joking around!

Thanks man, this got me motivated, but it ain't something unless you apply it, yeah? I got this spark in my head right now and I've remembered John Altucher. He once recommended us to become an idea machine, by thinking about 10 new any ideas every single day.

To play with them. Mix them. Have a laugh at them.

But here's a little twist... I think what could be better than that is to think about 10 solutions to problems every single day. What about that? Exciting. In any way, thanks again, I had a blast reading your thoughts!

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
There's one little thing that I'd like to say...it's very nasty and it's...ha, just joking around!

Thanks man, this got me motivated, but it ain't something unless you apply it, yeah? I got this spark in my head right now and I've remembered John Altucher. He once recommended us to become an idea machine, by thinking about 10 new any ideas every single day.

To play with them. Mix them. Have a laugh at them.

But here's a little twist... I think what could be better than that is to think about 10 solutions to problems every single day. What about that? Exciting. In any way, thanks again, I had a blast reading your thoughts!

Hey Richie,

You are definitely thinking along the right lines....good stuff.

I just posted an personal answer for you in a new thread.

As I was writing, I thought that the story I told for your answer might be interesting enough for its own thread.

Anyway, I hope my answer gives you something extra, and feel free to ask follow-up questions in either thread if you wish.:)

LEF

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 6, 2016
Question:

What do you do when you end up with too many problems to solve? Do you say no or do you say yes, become a nice guy, and oveload yourself to a point that it effects your work/life balance? Or do you pick and choose the problems?

This is from a real life situation, where I had to turn down few requests from a director because requests were very last minute or unrealistic, and would put me in a situation of sacraficing personal time. After reading this topic I partially feel that I might of missed an opportunity however I felt very conflicted on taking it on at the time.

Cheers,

LEF

Last edited:

MustImprove

Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,916%
Apr 30, 2013
Hey @LEF ,

First, welcome to TFF and congratulations on making your first post. I hope you find what you need. Let me answer those questions for you.......

What do you do when you end up with too many problems to solve? Do you say no or do you say yes, become a nice guy, and oveload yourself to a point that it effects your work/life balance? Or do you pick and choose the problems?

All problems are equal, but some problems are more equal than others.

It's true that as you mature as an entrepreneur you start to see and hear things that most (non-entrepreneurial) people miss.

I have a long long way to go in my own development, but these days I see and hear many problems / opportunities. It is, as they say, a blessing and a curse, but not a curse in the way that I believe you mean.

"Too many problems" is not an issue. Bring em on baby!

If you are hearing and seeing "too many" problems then you may have already taken an important developmental step. Bathe in that flow of delight, for many of us struggle for years to tune in to that addictive frequency.

...and the curse? Well spending too much time on each problem might be a curse. We all need to focus.

It sounds like you feel an obligation to jump on each and all of those problems.

You do not.

As you suggested, yes, you pick and choose.

Ignoring a problem does not automatically make you a nasty guy.

How Do You Pick, and How Do You Choose?

So you need to rig your problem filters for action. Fine, but before we get onto them, I must pick you up on another comment you made.

and would put me in a situation of sacraficing personal time.

This made me giggle, and the some of the replies I imagined you might get from a few of the more "direct" members also made me giggle.

It's your first post mate, and everyone deserves a break. So no big dramas, but!......

For all that is holy, slap that employee mindset so hard that it won't dare sully your posts again!

Personal time? What's that???!!!!!

This is the real entrepreneur world. There is no personal time.

You need to switch into a 24 hour a day entrepreneur mindset.

...and you are correct, you missed an opportunity with your director.

Let's role play a little...

LEF's Current World

Director: <says>Hey Employee, please can you help with these last minute unreasonable requests?

Employee: <might think this> WTF! It's 4:59pm! What a load of boolacks! Cheeky arrass! Last minute...! Should have asked earlier! Don't dump your thicko schmicko director problems on my plate of personal time! I gots to gets me a cheese steak!

Employee: <might say> Sorry, I only work to 5pm.

Director: <might think this> WTF! It's only 4:59pm! I ask once in a frigging blue moon! Our biggest customer that pays 70% of your f***ing salary has just asked us if we can help solve an urgent problem. I see a massive opportunity for the firm that can secure their stream of business for the next 12 months. F***! I want to make it happen!

Director <might say> Really? You can't help at all?

Employee: <might say> Sorry, no.

Result for Director: Director solves the problem a different way (maybe by himself), whilst muttering profanities that would make a viking blush.

Result for Employee: Best case, doesn't get fired. Worst case, first out the door when needs must.

LEF's Future World

Director: <says>Hey Employee, please can you help with these last minute unreasonable requests?

Employee: <might think this> WTF! It's only 4:59pm! They ask once in a frigging blue moon! Our biggest customer that pays 70% of my f***ing salary might have just asked us if we can help solve an urgent problem. I see a massive opportunity for ME and for the firm that can secure MY FASTLANE stream of business for the next 12 months. F***! I want to make it happen!

Employee: <might say> Sure, how can I help? Tell me more!

Director: <might think this> WTF! I don't get that reaction very often! Maybe he's got a bit of extra zip and spark!

Director <might say> Really? Thanks! Let me explain the problem now.

Result for Director: Committed employee helps Director achieve his goal. Director tip top chuffed having spanked the competition and shown why his crew are fastlane champs. Bon bons all round.

Result for Employee: Best case, discovers fastlane opportunity for end customer and current boss (to become a customer), gains INSIDERS insight into process requirements and costs, lays foundation for a life that 97% of people dream about. Worst case: Director thinks Employee is something of a star, maybe gets a raise, becomes a "go to guy", one of the last out of the door when needs must.

Do you see a difference?

So back to the filters. I'm going to be fast here.....need to sleep.

Opportunity and Kindness, that's where it's at.

Opportunity
Does the person with a problem have a direct impact on your life and financial well-being right now?... or your close friends and family's well being?

Yes? Then solve baby solve! Look for the opportunity (as per your future world above).

Kindness
Can you make the world a little better for someone with a kind gesture, and without any real or significant impact on you and/or your close friends and family?

Yes? Then solve baby solve! and (as always), look for an opportunity too!

Summary

You don't need to solve all problems you see. Focus on the ones that are "more equal".

See the problems, observe, evaluate them quickly, act for opportunity and kindness (more equal), and make a note of the better ideas for future review and development.

Then you won't have "too many" problems.

Success!:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.