• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! Save Yourself Years Of Frustration; It Worked For Me!

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by MustImprove, Nov 1, 2015.

1. dpvtank

dpvtank Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $245
    Being an introvert doesn't have to be a limiting factor. As a previous poster here pointed out, you can join Facebook groups to find problems to solve.

However, I think being an introvert is an advantage in getting people to talk because you will actually listen!

There is an art to having these conversations, and maybe I'll make a longer thread about this. Learning the art of listening has been one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. But the heart of it is this:

Approach people without wanting to convince them to have a conversation with you.
    When they talk, do not offer opinions, judgement, approval. Remain neutral (this does not mean dead, it means not suggesting how they should react to you in turn).

Don't try to relate to them. Don't do anything. Make it entirely about them. NOT about your feelings, reactions, your passion, what you're trying to do. No relating at all.

Here's an example of how a conversation might go:

You: "How's your day going?"
    Them: "Good. Great weather. It's good to spend more time out of the house."

Now, the topic that's open to you is spending time out of the house.

You: "What do you like to do when you're outside the house."
    Them: "Oh you know...hiking, biking."

Now, the topics of hiking and biking are available to you.

You: "Where will you go hiking this season?"
    Them: "Well, I really want to go through the Bruce Trail, but I've been so tied up these days"

Now the topic of the Bruce Trail is open, as is the topic of being tied up.

You: "What are you tied up with?"
    Them: "A problem at work. We're in the middle of moving offices and it's hard to figure out how to do it without disrupting business operations."

Now you have permission to ask him about moving offices. You can ask him about why he's moving offices. From where to where. What it means to disrupt business operations. Etc.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this art of conversation. They jump all over the place. They never go deep enough. They're far too interested in "getting the juice" without listening. They make it about them, other than the person they are listening to. You receive permission to inquire more about a new topic if the person brings it up.

Being an introvert, if you can master the art of conversation like this, not only is it not threatening, but you will be SHOCKED at how quickly people will share their deepest more intimate problems.

If people are interested, I can write more about this. It is based on intense study, clinical validation, and personal experience. I've used it with strangers, professionals, and loved ones. I'm starting off my fastlane journey, so I haven't used it for an entrepreneurial (aka problem solving) venture, but with what I'm learning here, it's great to learn I already have the skill to unearth problems.

Edit: I posted a longer thread about this here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Wisarut, Sadik, Knicks and 14 others like this.
  2. castr131

castr131 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $576
    This is a method I use often, it's not something I studied, just what I figured out on my own through lots of interactions with people. However, I wouldn't consider myself a master on it. I'd definitely take a look at your write-up.

ChrisR and MustImprove like this.
  3. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,557
    Definitely, doing so will help you and others. Go for it.

ChrisR and MustImprove like this.
  4. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,587
    There was one study where participants rated non-interview conversations deeper and more meaningful.

How do you make them feel like you're not getting ready to say, "we'll be right back after this commercial break."

Please do :D

MustImprove likes this.
  5. dpvtank

dpvtank Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $245
    That's an interesting point. Except that what I'm proposing is not an interview format. It's a method of active listening which uses questions to be more engaged. I'll write-up a longer post over the next week on this topic and post it. I'll make sure to tag you in it.

MustImprove and ApparentHorizon like this.
  6. El Príncipe

El Príncipe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $868
    Such a great thread. So much value.

Spotting the common theme across a lot of Gold Threads and TMF; Solve a small, real, tangible, identifiable problem for one real person, a person you actually know and meet. Be helpful, add value, make people's lives better. Not in the grand, abstract sense of things. But in a direct, concrete way.

Thanks for the thread @MustImprove

Ernman, ChrisR and MustImprove like this.
  7. chuckypita

chuckypita Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $563
    I taught a Young Entrepreneur Academy course a few years ago to a group of 12 - 18 year olds.

The winner?

A young 13 year old who created wood baby rattles that were toddler teeth friendly.

Finding ways to solve problems is a mindset.

GREAT POST!

8. cv_guimara

cv_guimara New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Awesome post!

Thanks!

MustImprove likes this.
  9. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $976
    This just open my heart. Thanks @MustImprove. I always try to help others but the people I am surrounded always say, don't do it for free. And this really affected my mind set. I started doubting Myself to help others. Sometimes I thought they are just taking advance of.
    But reading this just nails everything. Why I get many opportunity to help to ccommunicate, to earn.

Just this week, one of my colleagues friend needed help in making a custom web page mobile responsive. I tried to help him first with half heart. The codes was messy and felt not to help. But he text me that I am the only hope for him because the project needed to be delivered the next day. I decided (step 1 @MustImprove) to help him no mmatter what. Coded till 2am and solved his problem. And believe me when I solved that problem of him I felt that some kind of improvement happened in me. I felt I just unlocked some hidden Skill in me.

Next day he thanks me so much and asked me to tell him how much to pay. I told him it is a small work and I help de you thats all...

He was very happy and in the further conversation he offered a Project to me. A website development. I didn't asked for it.

Thanks everyone else Who have contributed your thoughts in this thread, I read them all. Specially that hell /heaven spoon story. That just blowed my mind(i forgot the person who posted).

Thanks again friends. I have recently joined the forum and improving Myself day by day.

Lee H, Ernman, Required and 5 others like this.
  10. calm

calm New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $112
    Thanks for this thread.

I was searching for how to add value in real life and saw this post. Now I realize solving problems for people around me comes first and then new business ideas follow. After decide to solve problems, I was watching twtich streaming and I found some problems that streamer has. That streamer is newbie so she needs video editor to post on youtube for marketing purpose. I know she has video editor but quality of editing is not good enough so I start to learn by doing. I finally made short video and sent to her. She loved it! I was so happy because of the fact that I add value(solve problem) in real life.

By solving other's problem I realize few more things,
    1. Video editing is in my new skill set
    2. I find another problem that she(the streamer) has which is expand streaming channel.
    3. I think I find a business idea :)

I'll keep doing this.

Sorry for my bad english.

Have a great day! :)
    Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  11. LarsJelle

LarsJelle Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $248
    Great topic, real eye opener.
    I've always been searching for my passion and what I truly love.

It isn't about that, it's about giving value to others and solve their needs.

Maybe a silly question.. but what's like a good way to find these problems? Contact people on Linkedin? Cold calling?
    And how do I pick a niche? Since you want to have progress in a certain niche to get an expert in that niche I guess?

MustImprove likes this.
  12. Roz

Roz Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,168
    This was already asked in the thread.

The answer was also given in this same thread.

13. Joel Heffner

Joel Heffner New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Well, now I know why I suck.

I've heard this in other ways before, but It's never really sunk in until I read this post.

My problem is that I rarely try to solve the problems myself. I'm cheating myself out of learning this skill. I've always been the type of person to not want to reinvent the wheel, but I take it too far.

I'm very appreciative of your writing style, since I speak sarcasm quite fluently. Thanks for this post, I haven't had a good AHA! moment in awhile.

14. chuckypita

chuckypita Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $563
    How do I pick a niche? How do I find what I love? ---- HOW IN THE HECK DO YOU EXPECT ANY OF US TO KNOW THOSE ANSWERS? - Take someone else's pain away and you'll make money. Eezy peezy.

Ernman, MustImprove and Romeo D. like this.
  15. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $976
    Why do you want to pick a niche?
    Why do you want to find what you love?
    Just why?
    I don't understand.

Please read the thread and beautiful comments from others on this thread again to understand.

Well, if you can solve my pain i will hold your hands, take money out from my pocket and put in yours'.

Yes, very easy.

Ernman and MustImprove like this.
  16. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15
    Thank you. You made me realize something.

MustImprove likes this.
  17. Bekit

Bekit Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,855
    I just ran across an amazing example of this, which occurs at approximately 1:03 in the interview in the following video.

Miguel Hernandez was just a guy who had moved from Spain to Canada, living in a lean, 750-square-foot apartment in British Columbia. He went from being a jack of all trades to the fastlane in one move. (Maybe he took your advice to heart, @MustImprove?)

In Miguel's own words...

"I did a video for Hipmunk.com, a flight search company, that is actually a Y combinator company, and the marketing principal is Alexis Ohanian (the guy who founded Reddit). I sent that through their support site, said, "I created this little video as a spec video, because I really love your site, your product, and let me know if you like it." And it turns out that Alexis really liked it, to the point that he said, "You know what, MIguel, as a thank you, I'm going to introduce you to everybody that I know that could possibly need a video like this." So I did videos for other companies..."

At around 9:08, the video describes why Miguel's video was successful. He solved a problem.

People had made other videos for Hipmunk. But they were falling flat. They weren't showing people why the site mattered. They weren't making it clear why they should use the site. Miguel's video took a different approach. It solved the problem that all the other videos had failed to solve.

Practically overnight, Miguel had so many requests coming in from high-profile companies that he had to hire other animators to create the videos in order to keep up.

@MustImprove isn't lying that this method can be a shortcut to save years of frustration.

Lee H, Ernman, Roz and 4 others like this.
  18. Ryauko

Ryauko New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $11
    This is a very good thread, I even dare say it is inspiring.

Andy Black and MustImprove like this.
  19. JJMac

JJMac New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $114
    @MustImprove really great thread, very simple yet hard hitting. Love your style and humour.

This is a must read for me as it really tackles my early problems getting started with entrepreneurship, long have I been searching around the web and through books with the goal being money. The Millionaire Fastlane altered what I perceived as being my goal and this post just reaffirms it beautifully, entrepreneurship = solving problems = money will find you (not vice versa), as well as demonstrating how this can be done. Really very valuable to me and the way my mind needs to be tuned, thank you. @Andy Black appreciate you sending me in this direction, cheers!

MustImprove and Andy Black like this.
  20. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,198
    You mean he helped someone for free, they loved it, referred him on, and he ended up building a business out of it?

Who’d have thought?

Bekit, Ernman, Roz and 4 others like this.
  21. Almantas

Almantas Nothing to Lose Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,344
    Tommo likes this.
  22. Saiful

Saiful Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $522
    Steps to solve problem?
    1. Clearly state the problem; the more precise and detailed the better.
    2. Identify the issue
    3. Make a list of the seeds where it's rooted from
    4. Make a guess about what things you can control contribute to the problem
    5. Formulate a plan for iteratively testing each of these possible root causes. Test most likely cause first, if possible.
    6. If necessary, seek out information that tells you how to address each possible root cause.
    7. Execute the plan.
    8. Repeat until solved.

Sad that most would-be entrepreneurs don't know that the synonym for entrepreneur" is problem solver?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  23. Ernman

Ernman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,346
    Great thread, thank you. Rep XFR

MustImprove and Saiful like this.
  24. ChristianX

ChristianX New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $21
    Thank you for this great thread! I really enjoyed reading this, and I learned a lot too!

MustImprove likes this.
  25. 1523.

1523. New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $43
    Hi if I was to find a solution to a problem how would I test the waters.Some people believe in there solution to a level where they start spending money and remortgaging there house even if its a dead end.

MustImprove likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.