The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Standing Still As Life Passes By

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
Saw the link before it was removed, but I don't live in the US. I've honestly tried

I'm an INSIDERS. I read through @Vigilante 's thread on importing but really struggled finding a product to import which was unique and not already sold on the market.

Have you tried drop shipping? It's a way to break into ecommerce without spending a lot of money. Spy gear is actually a big seller at the moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
Powerful stuff.

Sometimes I wonder, where exactly is the moment when someone gives up and just resigns to being a piece of driftwood floating down the river of life?

Where was it? What was said? What were the circumstances? What choices led them there?

That may be a rhetorical question, but I have a theory. It seems like a few people I know had a self-examination moment in their mid- to late-30s.

A point when they think "is this really all there is?", "is there something more meaningful I could do with my life?".

But then they say "well, this isn't really THAT bad, and I should be thankful that I have what I do. Most of the world doesn't even have this much."

And that's enough to talk themselves into resignation.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I've seen that pattern play out a few times.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That may be a rhetorical question, but I have a theory. It seems like a few people I know had a self-examination moment in their mid- to late-30s.

A point when they think "is this really all there is?", "is there something more meaningful I could do with my life?".

But then they say "well, this isn't really THAT bad, and I should be thankful that I have what I do. Most of the world doesn't even have this much."

And that's enough to talk themselves into resignation.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I've seen that pattern play out a few times.

We hear in the United States that almost everyone (rich and poor by United States standards) is wealthier than 99% of the rest of the world.

So maybe people stop at that. @Kak on the other hand won't stop until he is richer than the richest sultan.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Is it possible to tag a thread with both Gold and Landfill? :woot:

Fendaril

Contributor
Sep 7, 2015
I am visiting Minnesota right now, where I still own a home after moving to the East Coast.

Needing to escape to get some work done, I stopped by my old Regus office to use a vacant office for the day.

11013305_10206981121278959_7155405991773763025_n.jpg

I rolled up to the building, and in a force of habit I parked in my usual parking spot, to take the walk to my usual elevators to my usual floor.

I couldn't help but marvel at something. The same fat nurse in the same blue scrubs was standing at the same corner smoking the same cigarette as she was the last time I was here.

That's where she is, every day. Same routine, same job, same habits. Standing on a non-descript corner on NobodyCares avenue. I wonder if she wonders why seemingly life has passed her by with each drag of the cigarette. I wonder if she allows her mind to wander, prone towards thinking the man is keeping the middle class down.

When she was younger, I wonder if she ever pictured herself here. I wonder if she realizes inbetween drags of her rushed cigarette that it is not too late for her. I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to tell her. She's just one of the glossed over masses, repeating her days like so many others in cities across the country and across the world. Working for a paycheck, living for a 5 minute break from reality, and wishing today was Friday instead of Wednesday. Dreading Sunday night, because it means that Monday is coming again.

Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, months into years, and years into lifetimes. We wonder where the time went as we light up another cigarette. Is this all there is?

Someone needs to mind their own business.

Focus on your life, not hers.

If you really give a damn, grow some balls and talk to her.

D

DeletedUser394

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :)

Fendaril

Contributor
Sep 7, 2015
WTF was that?

Seriously,

Sounds like someone feels superior to everyone else.

Just telling it how I see it.

If you care about the nurse, get out of your office and tell her what ways she can become just like you.

I would love to see a post where he tries.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Seriously,

If you care about the nurse, get out of your office and tell her what ways she can become just like you.

I don't think you fit in here.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I don't try to fit in, because most people aren't worth it.

Just like you.

Not responding to you anymore.

I love the internet.

THIS is what's up with all the recent negativity!
What's up with all the newbies being so damn important?

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013

I was going to post a meme but decided not to so I wrote out a long post that might provide some insight.....

Then I deleted it because it will do no good. So instead we get a meme!

image.jpg

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland

This one, my friend, is simply called "reflecting on life". Or, if you prefer, "observation of some species in their natural habitat".
You have taken this reflection too god damn literally.

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
I love this thread, from the good to the whiny responses. I never thought the OP was attacking the woman on a personal level, but using her as a metaphorical example of people throwing in the towel with their lives.

I don't how it got to hit such a bitter nerve with some of the responders here.

I think some people just wake up offended and fill in the blanks throughout the day.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Seriously,

There's a post on here where I do that very thing, at that very office, with another one in a similar circumstance.

But, you didn't take the time to find it, nor will you. It's much easier from your 22 year old, non contributing self righteous perch to be critical. That's OK. The forum self regulates and filters out takers. I will spend exactly zero time after this post considering your position.

You'll find this forum to be unlike most of the rest of the internet. People who come here for a fight generally won't find one. You'll head off back into the shadows of the internet where you can find people that will entertain your ad hominem attacks.

I would have responded to you earlier, but I was out with the red cross. I am a volunteer first responder, and was dealing with a local emergency this afternoon while you were posting that I should be helping someone. Sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love this thread, from the good to the whiny responses. I never thought the OP was attacking the woman on a personal level, but using her as a metaphorical example of people throwing in the towel with their lives.

I don't how it got to hit such a bitter nerve with some of the responders here.

I think some people just wake up offended and fill in the blanks throughout the day.

There's a reason it hit a bitter chord with several new posters here. To be expected, actually. Nobody has ever accused me of being politically correct. However, people in glass houses have a tendency to throw the most stones. If people see themselves in the lens we shine on the sidewalk, I can't help that. Hopefully though, as they go... they take something with them that may resonate later in life. Hopefully they will find what they are looking for. Generally, when they haven't read the Millionaire Fast Lane, what is discussed in the forum that was developed in it's wake doesn't make sense to them.

The forum gets several hundred thousand hits a month. We can't win 'em all.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Guys, the forum is growing. I dare to say like a weed because such growth is not without its own weeds.

That means we will be susceptible to random drive-by's who want you to band back to obedience, political correctness, and media mandated mediocrity. These are the same types who come up with shit like "fat shaming" -- that's not OK, but being critical of people who are fit is ok. Heck, an entire gym chain represents that double standard, i.e. Planet Fitness.

offended1.jpg

The fact that there are people HERE who look at @Vigilante 's post and focus on the woman's profession (and/or appearance) proves just how people are are blinded by their own personal narrative.

If you are offended, that's because you allowed yourself to be offended.

The "fat woman" could be a skinny old guy or anyone else. It doesn't matter because she is a human who is not happy. This is the only judgment that was made-- unhappiness. Resigned. Spaced out. She is there on the wall smoking today, was there yesterday, and will be there tomorrow. Had the woman happily smiled at Vig and wished him a "Good morning!! How are the kids doing Dave!?" I doubt these these thoughts (or this thread) would have ever happened.

Anyone who thinks that this thread is about degrading those who have shitty jobs needs to keep quiet, or leave. I'm sure the forum will survive without your 240,031 visitor session in the logs.

Heck, we have our own thread on shitty jobs that's been going for years. Take a look at all the menial jobs we do just for the sake of keeping our dreams alive.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/dead-end-sh-t-jobs-yours.5145/

Dave spent his Friday morning helping people at this forum. Then in the afternoon he spent his time volunteering for the Red Cross.

Hey, let's bust his balls because he provided some details about an unhappy overweight nurse who was smoking!!

SMFH.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Due to a clerical error, a man gets to choose whether he spends eternity in heaven or hell.

He asks if he can take a quick peek at both before he chooses.

They show him the canteen in hell first.

It's a massive banquet table with fabulous food and beautiful ornate chairs. The smells make his mouth water and stomach grumble.

He wonders if this is a mistake.

The dinner bell sounds and people shuffle in silently. They look gaunt and miserable, with a tortured look in their eyes.

They seat themselves and start to eat. It's then he notices the spoons are 2 feet long.

The delicious food falls off the spoons as they try in vain to feed themselves.

They show him the canteen in heaven next.

It's a massive banquet table with fabulous food and beautiful ornate chairs. The smells make his mouth water and stomach grumble.

It looks exactly the same as the canteen in hell.

He looks closely and all the spoons are 2 feet long.

The dinner bell sounds and people file in chatting amongst themselves. They look well-fed and happy, with big smiles on their faces.

The seat themselves and start to eat.

They use the 2 foot spoons to scoop up the delicious food and serve the person opposite them.

The canteens are exactly the same.

For some it's heaven, because they choose to help each other.

For others it's hell, because they choose to help themselves.

Your experience of this forum, business, and life, will differ depending on what you choose.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Damn Andy, are you just trying to make me feel bad?

Due to a clerical error, a man gets to choose whether he spends eternity in heaven or hell.

He asks if he can take a quick peek at both before he chooses.

They show him the canteen in hell first.

The dinner bell sounds and people shuffle in silently. They look gaunt and miserable, with a tortured look in their eyes.

They seat themselves and start to eat. It's then he notices the spoons are 2 feet long.

The delicious food falls of the spoons as they try in vain to feed themselves.

They show him the canteen in heaven next.

It looks exactly the same as the canteen in hell.

He looks closely and all the spoons are 2 feet long.

The dinner bell sounds and people file in chatting amongst themselves. They look well-fed and happy, with big smiles on their faces.

The seat themselves and start to eat.

They use the 2 foot spoons to scoop up the delicious food and serve the person opposite them.

The canteens are exactly the same.

For some it's heaven, because they choose to help each other.

For others it's hell, because they choose to help themselves.

Your experience of this forum, business, and life, will differ depending on what you choose.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
There's a reason it hit a bitter chord with several new posters here. To be expected, actually. Nobody has ever accused me of being politically correct. However, people in glass houses have a tendency to throw the most stones. If people see themselves in the lens we shine on the sidewalk, I can't help that. Hopefully though, as they go... they take something with them that may resonate later in life. Hopefully they will find what they are looking for. Generally, when they haven't read the Millionaire Fast Lane, what is discussed in the forum that was developed in it's wake doesn't make sense to them.

The forum gets several hundred thousand hits a month. We can't win 'em all.

Vigilante - you are a kind and a good person! You take the high road when it comes to haters and idiots :) Props.

I am new to this forum and appreciate people like you being here and sharing your wisdom.
Your post was not offensive at all. You point out the truth and it pinched the nerve of people who see themselves as that smoking lady on some level.
Glad to finally join the fastlane family. Read the book a long time ago and now am pleased to see successful people here.

Random Brainstorming: Also, I am thinking that MJ perhaps needs to invoke a 20 dollar entry fee for access to this forum. Give people 2 days to come and read for free, then they gotta pay at least 20 bucks to be able to post (that does not include INSIDERS). I've been reading here for about an hour and feel connected and drawn to learning and growing more.

We just gotta keep the angry politically-sensitive, truth-sensitive idiots out of the way! :)

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Great posts like this seem to often bring out a few people that really hate where they are in life at the moment and choose to take it out on the OP in odd ways. Really missing the point.

Fendaril

Contributor
Sep 7, 2015
I am not a hater.

Never have been never will be. I just have to be honest.

You guys are good people, this just seemed a little superiority complex.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I am not a hater.

Never have been never will be. I just have to be honest.

You guys are good people, this just seemed a little superiority complex.
Personal challenge for you: continue participating on this forum. In 6 months time, reply to this post and give an honest assessment of what @Vigilante was trying to say in his OP. I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice if you complete this challenge.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Vigilante is probably one of the most misunderstood characters on the forum. I honestly don't think he was judging the lady. He was simply observing her as she smoked her cig. I worked at the mall years ago when I was in high school and when I go there I sometimes see the same employees from literally 15 years ago. It gets me kinda sad because I know how it feels to be on your feet for hours to make a few bucks.

When you get to a certain point in the wealth creation process, you simply stop giving a damn about judging others and you also don't care about what others think of you. I don't mean this in an arrogant way. The craving to prove to the world that you're so successful disappears because you already know you've got the goods. You end up just wanting to live your own life and do what you want on your own terms.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%