The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saas failed with no savings. Be a freelance designer again. See if I can grow it to 10K/month then 100K :)

Idea threads

designto100K

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Sep 1, 2022
Yo guys,

Some context: I'm from China, 30 years old, worked as an UX and UI designer for 10 years, then took my savings and started a Saas, which, not surprisingly, failed and spent almost all my savings. So I was in my 30's and needed to start over.

To be honest, I felt so relieved. Sure I spent about 3 weeks mourning and grieving, but it's over and it's pointless to dwell on it.

I was determined to get back to making money in the design field that I knew and was good at. I don't have any knowledge or skill issues, which sounds a bit boastful, but I think I'm up to most of the work.

With Freelancing, which I've done before, there's always time outside of work for you to make some extra money. Of course I didn't come from a recommendation from a friend or anything, but I chose a platform that most of you probably don't see too much of, Upwork .

I've already received a Top Rated medal for two very small projects and made about $8,000. Based on that experience, I thought Upwork might be a good place for me to get back on track. So determined to give it a try.

I also have my portfolio ready, but the content is all over the place, so maybe I should find my own Niche, I'm actually interested in Landing page and Dashboard, and I'm better at it. But who knows? I'll see what I can do as I go along.

Of course, the disadvantage of Upwork is that it's not very good at building long-lasting relationships with clients, it's more like a one-night stand, and I'll probably be used and discarded like a cheap hooker. But as a broke person, I have nothing to complain about.

My disadvantage is the language, or sales, English is not my native language (but really I am one of the Chinese who speaks English very well). So I'm afraid that when I'm video chatting or selling with the other side, there will always be some awkward or mis-expressed times. I've been avoiding this problem, but now I have no choice, I'm cornered.

But when it comes to sales, I consider myself to be a talented sales person. I'm a funny person and I'm always the talk of the party, but of course, that's in Chinese. Sxxx! Maybe I need more practice and I'll join Fox's program later to see if I can learn anything.

I'll keep track of my progress and what I've learned here. Maybe twice a week or once a week, as a log. Maybe I'll look back after I've won this battle for my life and be happy.

But screw it, I'm going to start making money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Yo guys,

Some context: I'm from China, 30 years old, worked as an UX and UI designer for 10 years, then took my savings and started a Saas, which, not surprisingly, failed and spent almost all my savings. So I was in my 30's and needed to start over.

To be honest, I felt so relieved. Sure I spent about 3 weeks mourning and grieving, but it's over and it's pointless to dwell on it.

I was determined to get back to making money in the design field that I knew and was good at. I don't have any knowledge or skill issues, which sounds a bit boastful, but I think I'm up to most of the work.

With Freelancing, which I've done before, there's always time outside of work for you to make some extra money. Of course I didn't come from a recommendation from a friend or anything, but I chose a platform that most of you probably don't see too much of, Upwork .

I've already received a Top Rated medal for two very small projects and made about $8,000. Based on that experience, I thought Upwork might be a good place for me to get back on track. So determined to give it a try.

I also have my portfolio ready, but the content is all over the place, so maybe I should find my own Niche, I'm actually interested in Landing page and Dashboard, and I'm better at it. But who knows? I'll see what I can do as I go along.

Of course, the disadvantage of Upwork is that it's not very good at building long-lasting relationships with clients, it's more like a one-night stand, and I'll probably be used and discarded like a cheap hooker. But as a broke person, I have nothing to complain about.

My disadvantage is the language, or sales, English is not my native language (but really I am one of the Chinese who speaks English very well). So I'm afraid that when I'm video chatting or selling with the other side, there will always be some awkward or mis-expressed times. I've been avoiding this problem, but now I have no choice, I'm cornered.

But when it comes to sales, I consider myself to be a talented sales person. I'm a funny person and I'm always the talk of the party, but of course, that's in Chinese. Sxxx! Maybe I need more practice and I'll join Fox's program later to see if I can learn anything.

I'll keep track of my progress and what I've learned here. Maybe twice a week or once a week, as a log. Maybe I'll look back after I've won this battle for my life and be happy.

But screw it, I'm going to start making money.
Welcome. I am based in Singapore. Did a Chinese language based Youtube channel on crypto. Not sure if I could help in anyway. You could pm me and get in touch via wechat.

designto100K

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Sep 1, 2022
Some updates:

I applied for five jobs on Upwork and without exception there was no response. I explained myself that I had submitted them all over the weekend and that it was a Labor Day holiday in the US.

But I knew this was an excuse to avoid it. I should have optimized my profile and cover letter. numerically, upwork designers are a crowded market (although roughly 20% of the people take 80% of the jobs). But how to stand out among the 30+ candidates is indeed a problem.

I looked at the profiles of some of the designers who were making a lot of money, but without exception their profiles all looked the same - how many years of experience, some design jargon, some emoji - do clients like these flashy profiles?

But anyway, I should go and study the sales copy. I should also lower my hourly rate, which is currently $80, and should be around $40-$50, or even $30 or $20.

BTW, I've joined Fox web school now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Hey man,

I just quit my job that paid around 60k per year. I got so depressed and burnt out I thought I was losing my passion for programming, but it was really just the job. I started applying for more jobs in the 80-100k range and was landing interviews but the whole process made me realize that I'd be happier freelancing again.

Just landed a gig up UW. Small gig, but small gigs can lead to bigger projects.

The only advice I'll drop is: if you know what you are worth do NOT lower your rate. Trust me, you don't want those types of clients. If you have to lower your rate don't go below $60, especially if you are already top rated. Sometimes things are slow in the freelancing world, just stick with it and reach out to clients everyday

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.