The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

RK's first lesson in social media?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not sure if any of you are "friends" with Robert Kiyosaki on FB, but he posted a status update that other day that looks like it blew up in his face.

Most school teachers are communists. They want to get paid more for doing less. They talk capitalism, but practice communism.
There are 100's of comments on this update and most of them negative. Robert has not commented to any of them and some of them are from "ex-fans".

While I understand the point of his "status update" I don't believe polarization (most political posts are polarizing) is a good tactic for a mass-market brand. In other words, I don't think he sold any books as a result of this update.

My rules on Facebook are to avoid political postings (which I had to learn the hard way) ... seems like Robert has not adopted a similar philosophy.

I thought this was a great lesson in branding and social media ... what NOT to do, unless you are selling political books.

Your thoughts? (And not on the thoughts of his comment)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I think it's ironic because in your Mixergy interview you said he rarely visited his own forum. Perhaps he should disable the comment feature before posting about controversial issues. I sound like I'm being flippant, but I wonder how much of the negativity/ positivity was swayed by the previous posts. I'm sure most people formed their opinions instantly, but how often do people avoid commenting if they think it's against the popular opinion? This effect might be negligible, but I'm sure it must factor in somehow.

Regarding his post, it just serves as a reminder that not every one thinks along the same lines you do. We all tend to think, or want to believe, that our peers and those around us share our views. It's a big surprise when we find out they don't.

One more point; clarity and conciseness are important. This is especially true if you are in the public eye. For example, what if he only meant to refer to the leadership, but labeled teachers collectively as communist. He may have just alienated several people because he wasn't specific.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen his posts so I have no idea what his true intent is.

Ferrari Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 3, 2011
Perhaps the comment was meant to stir things up a little? But, it certainly doesn't seem like the wisest thing to say to sell your brand to the public. There are better, more positive, ways to keep yourself in the spotlight.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
The Robert Kiyosaki I first read (when I picked up Rich Dad, Poor Dad) was an egalitarian thinker-- someone who took few sides when it came to politics and religion.

The fact that his book has been translated into dozens of languages is proof that others appreciated that approach, and could relate to his financial teachings when religion and politics (and rhetoric) were removed.

The RK we all met was a different person than the author of the books we'd been reading for years. He was much more controversial, and was very interested in "putting down" his audience (us) by calling us f***ing losers, etc. He screamed at us for 10 straight minutes, just in answer to a question about protecting assets.

So it seems that the social media RK is more the person we met, than the person I discovered when reading his first books.

No big surprise there-- that's what social media is all about: Learning who the person is. Some folks "manage" their product (ie, themselves) better than others.

Most folks are savvy enough to not "let it all hang out"-- they realize that the larger their audience, the greater the diversity (and ability to say something that will offend).

I'm sure he has his reasons for doing what he does-- his screaming at us was clearly thought out-- he had planned to do it.

The reason he called us all "f***king losers"?

Because we were "wasting" time on the internet. He told us ANY time spent online, no matter the purpose, was a waste of time in his eyes. This was particulary funny at the time, since a few of the teenagers in the front row were pulling in six figures from online-gaming based stuff they were doing, and others in the room (me for instance) were using the net to generate hundreds of thousands of $$$$ in sales for our brick and mortar businesses.

So it's funny to see him (or someone w/his permission) using Facebook.

Perhaps we're all not such "losers" after all.

We never thought we were-- but it seems he might be changing his POV about the whole internet thing . . .

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Amazing.

Why is it that we continue to talk about RK the person, instead of keeping it at his principles and concepts, which is what should be relevant for us entrepreneurs in this forum?

Oh well.

Business lesson learn: Your Social life is a reflection of how you sell yourself to your audience.

For me, what I got out of it is, if I am not going to be "talking" to my audience, I better pick a channel that is one-way, like a web page, instead of a two-way channel like twitter and facebook.

emilybon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Apr 5, 2011
Orlando, FL
Rules of Social Media

When entering social media you have to be very careful. You can't just jump in and go at it. You must have a plan of what you will and will not say. Once it is out there, you can't take it back.

In socializing, they say avoid the topics religion and politics, the same holds true for social media.

Now, we are not all perfect, so another part of your social media plan should be "damage control".

RK is going to have to explain his position so that it can be better understood how he came to his conclusion. Then, at least we can agree or agree to disagree with him.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
For me, what I got out of it is, if I am not going to be "talking" to my audience, I better pick a channel that is one-way, like a web page, instead of a two-way channel like twitter and facebook.

Do you think it is worthwhile to attribute your name to thoughts like this even in a one-way channel? It can be nice [for the writer] to get some "strong" thoughts out, but at that expense you're just going to piss off people...

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you think it is worthwhile to attribute your name to thoughts like this even in a one-way channel?

Nope, not unless your brand/message is that of a political nature ... left/right stuff.

In socializing, they say avoid the topics religion and politics, the same holds true for social media.

This is probably the safest approach, even if you aren't attached to a brand/product/service. I've unfriended dozens of *friends* because I simply got tired of reading their political rants. My closest friends know my stances on politics and religion -- I try to keep that stuff out of social media.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
. I've unfriended dozens of *friends* because I simply got tired of reading their political rants. My closest friends know my stances on politics and religion -- I try to keep that stuff out of social media.

That's one thing that has bugged me most about Facebook. Friends seem to think that's the place to express beliefs and 'convert' people to their beliefs. I couldn't care less what people believe, and honestly I'm pretty sure most of my friends believe\think differently than me on 'controversial' subjects.

I've blocked\unfriended a good portion of posts by friends simply because of that..

I've had to do it even to people who believe the same as me. It's just not anyones place to question others beliefs when there isn't an absolute fact about your stance. At the end of the day if you're not hurting others regardless of what you believe than I don't see any importance in what a person believes.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Why is it that we continue to talk about RK the person, instead of keeping it at his principles and concepts, which is what should be relevant for us entrepreneurs in this forum?

I think that's the whole point of social media, Andres: Social Media is about the personality, not the product.

Or, to put it another way: The Personality IS the product.

I didn't feel that way until I read Vaynerchuk's Crush It!. That's when it all came together for me.

And that's when we started to do better, social media-wise.

If you approach social media as just another PR or advertisting channel (lots of companies are), you will not be taken seriously by the public.

If, however, you view social media as a way to have an ongoing conversation w/your customers, or fans, or friends-- THAT is when things start to click.

Just as in real life, you can't share everything.

But also as in real life-- if you meet someone and try to "sell" them something, they will tune you out.

But if you actively engage them on a personal level-- you have a conversation.

THAT is what social media is about, at least today. Who knows where things will go tomorrow! :banana:

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks Russ, very valid points.

OK, so back to business... if the person is the brand then it makes sense to have a channel with your name (i.e. facebook profile for the author, independent from the profile for the book and from the company).

I imagine this scenario creates a sticky situation... RK can't sell his company, it is tied to his name. [and no, I am not implying he would want to do sell it] so i see this scenario working for our own Kung Fu Steve, as well as MJ.

Russ, in your case, are you working on a long term plan to have the business interacting with the customers through social media so it help at the time of a potential sell, or you will handle it as a personal interaction in the voice of the innkeepers so make it more "human"?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Andres,

The reason I posted this was because it contains a valuable lesson ... (gotta video coming on it too) and that is sometimes our product/service extends to a personal brand. In this case, whether RK accepts it or not, he has become a personal brand on top of his books. If RUSS started posting political commentary on his Napa Valley Fan Page, you can bet a good portion of his audience will be alienated and WON'T do business with him.

This is the exact reason WHY I won't do business with certain companies who are engaged in enforcing a particular political ideology. And most of these aren't small companies, but huge, multi-national corporations with billion dollar valuations.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks Russ, very valid points.

Russ, in your case, are you working on a long term plan to have the business interacting with the customers through social media so it help at the time of a potential sell, or you will handle it as a personal interaction in the voice of the innkeepers so make it more "human"?

Andres-

Yes, we interact w/our guests and non-guests on online travel forums (thousands of posts), on our Facebook page, our blog, and (infrequently) on twitter.

But we sign all of these "the innkeepers", NOT Russ or Sharon, etc. The idea here is to have an "inn identity" of the innkeepers, so that guests and others relate to that group of innkeepers. Since we don't typically name names, we can have changes in staff without it being a big deal. AND -- perhaps most important-- we can do social media, from a personalized approach-- but not have it tied to one individual. So I don't become the brand-- which is a very real problem for many small, closely-held businesses: The principal becomes the figurehead/personality behind the show, and has a hard time separating the business when it's time to sell.

-Russ H.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I find it so ironic that RK was a shooting star in the "self help" area on his way to being a superstar when all that went down with Russ and the gang. I have to admit RDPD changed my life and I bought everything RK put out and lived on his forum until that all went down. When all that happened and as his behavior started to become more erratic, I and I think many others kind of turned away from his message and his products. Now that social media has blown up and if RK had embraced the net instead of insulting people who utilize it, he could have been the biggest thing since sliced bread. Now I am sure he isnt hurting for money but he could have been a gazillionaire and widely respected by most if he would have used the net as tool for teaching and helping others instead of insulting and belittling some of his fans and admirers. Now I think he is still a pretty rich guy but he is looked at like a charlatan to many, a A-hole to many others and a guru to a few.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.