Hey, I just read both books in a week after having my FTE. I was fired 6 months ago shortly before getting married (at least I had time for my honeymoon). After 63 applications, I was just about to sign for a job I thought to be really great when they made a "strategy change" and got rid of the position altogether. Just after that, a recruiter approached me on linkedin with something I would have thought to be a great opportunity in the past. I told her that I'd rather slowly castrate myself with a butter knife than to ever be employed again... and also quit all other ongoing applications.
I'm now working out regularly, changed my eating habits and lost 15 pounds. To support my family (instead of watching my accounts head towards zero), I've taken up a freelance consulting gig 1 day of the week (which is enough to cover all costs) and I'm working the remaining 6 days of the week on ideas. Currently, I'm somewhere between 8-10h / day. I'm guessing that'll go up to 12-16h once I know what I'll be working on. My problem is not finding an idea, it's deciding on / finding out which of the ideas can deliver the most value and impact the most people. So, polygamy - I need to pick one (carefully) and then stick with it. I'm ok on execution (need to improve, get organized better and be more disciplined).
Here's my why:
- I want to be able to care for my parents in their old age.
- I want to give my wife the house she's dreaming of.
- I want to spend time with my kids as they grow up.
- I want to never - ever - worry about money again. Or ever work for anyone else again but my customers.
Anyway, not quite sure why I'm signing up and what I'm expecting here. I guess it's a way to not feel lonely, since my peers & family probably think I'm crazy. My background is in computer science and I've done projects for big names in the past, so I could just go and find employment. But just the thought of that makes me want to jump out the window. So it's either succeed or die trying.
edit: oh, and also - although i'm free of debt and can grind it for a year without doing any side work, i'm scared shitless. no one in my family & friends circle owns a business and in germany, we're indoctrinated to be good little employees.
I'm now working out regularly, changed my eating habits and lost 15 pounds. To support my family (instead of watching my accounts head towards zero), I've taken up a freelance consulting gig 1 day of the week (which is enough to cover all costs) and I'm working the remaining 6 days of the week on ideas. Currently, I'm somewhere between 8-10h / day. I'm guessing that'll go up to 12-16h once I know what I'll be working on. My problem is not finding an idea, it's deciding on / finding out which of the ideas can deliver the most value and impact the most people. So, polygamy - I need to pick one (carefully) and then stick with it. I'm ok on execution (need to improve, get organized better and be more disciplined).
Here's my why:
- I want to be able to care for my parents in their old age.
- I want to give my wife the house she's dreaming of.
- I want to spend time with my kids as they grow up.
- I want to never - ever - worry about money again. Or ever work for anyone else again but my customers.
Anyway, not quite sure why I'm signing up and what I'm expecting here. I guess it's a way to not feel lonely, since my peers & family probably think I'm crazy. My background is in computer science and I've done projects for big names in the past, so I could just go and find employment. But just the thought of that makes me want to jump out the window. So it's either succeed or die trying.
edit: oh, and also - although i'm free of debt and can grind it for a year without doing any side work, i'm scared shitless. no one in my family & friends circle owns a business and in germany, we're indoctrinated to be good little employees.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
