The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So in other words, I need to pay for a bunch of fake PR, self-generated news releases that mean nothing and are released at 10,000 per day for every Tom Dick and Harry. There's a reason why I refuse to participate in that grift.
That’s the game unfortunately.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

You'd think that being impersonated every week might be a clue that I need to get verified. Nope, not good enough for the aholes at IG/FB.

Thank you for doing this.
they should really just start a mechanism to vote for people and pages to be verified, or for a certain follower count to do it.

Or for those two things combined to trigger the verification process.

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I saw a social media post yesterday about quitting the stuff that “helps” with productivity like journaling and hobbies and just do the thing you need to accomplish and it got me thinking.

Has anyone seen results by doing that?

I’m considering bringing all things in my life to a minimum besides progress on fastlane goals but I just got to the 10 year mark of putting in self work to figure out what a good life looks like for me and I feel I’ve achieved that..except completely not for my business/financial freedom goals I’m stuck in a slowlane job. I’m having so much fun making new friends with the social skills I worked so hard to learn and adding hobbies like humming bird watching etc. I was buying paint on Amazon to plan to paint 1x/week outside to get outdoor time and creative time added to my life but I’m like why would I paint if I haven’t made progress on business things (skill building for where I’m at)? Can I really afford to birdwatch 3 hours on the weekend when I haven’t executed on the things I need to and I’m not using the little time I have to it’s best use?

Any thoughts/opinions are welcomed

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I saw a social media post yesterday about quitting the stuff that “helps” with productivity like journaling and hobbies and just do the thing you need to accomplish and it got me thinking.

I’m considering bringing all things in my life to a minimum besides progress on fastlane goals but I just got to the 10 year mark of putting in self work to figure out what a good life looks like for me and I feel I’ve achieved that..except completely not for my business/financial freedom goals I’m stuck in a slowlane job. I’m having so much fun making new friends with the social skills I worked so hard to learn and adding hobbies like humming bird watching etc. I was buying paint on Amazon to plan to paint 1x/week outside to get outdoor time and creative time added to my life but I’m like why would I paint if I haven’t made progress on business things (skill building for where I’m at)? Can I really afford to birdwatch 3 hours on the weekend when I haven’t executed on the things I need to and I’m not using the little time I have to it’s best use?

I feel like an all-or-nothing approach would be detrimental long-term. I generally follow three simple rules for how I structure my life:

1. Does my lifestyle align with my values and purpose?
2. Will me 10 years from now be happy with how I am living now?
3. Is my lifestyle sustainable for months at a time?

I try to reflect on this frequently and adjust accordingly.

When it comes to hobbies, I tend to look at the people in those hobbies, get a sense of their life outside the hobby, and then rate whether introducing that hobby into my life would make my life better or worse as the hobby develops.

Similarly, friendships are important and I feel I undervalued friendships for a long period of my life until fairly recently when I lost (they died) multiple friends in quick succession. Since then, I've developed about a dozen close friendships and at this point in my life, developing those friendships is far more important to me than my business, which is still doing its thing with very little involvement from me because I let someone else take over 90% of the day-to-day. I also still work in a slowlane job that is very important to me and very purposeful to me.

No one else is living your life except for you, so you don't have to live according to the expectations or directives of anyone but yourself. Maybe instead of taking an all-or-nothing approach, go through those three questions for yourself and see if you can adjust in a way that works for you in the long-term.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

the red pill is realizing that there is a lot of bullshit and fakery in the world, and a lot of it comes from the orthodox or verified sources

we don't even need to all agree on what it is

just realize you gotta analyze and use your noggin

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020
Anyone else find this crypto stuff overwhelming? Really wish I would have begun studying it earlier.

This was announced yesterday at the Bitcoin Conference 2022. Strikes Lightening Network has partnered with Shopify.
View: https://youtu.be/o73fWsqJDdY

I watched the video twice but still don't understand. Do you guys think it's over hyped? It's supposed to eliminate the 3% credit card processing fees.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220408-135653-050.png
    Screenshot_20220408-135653-050.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 1

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
You'd think that being impersonated every week might be a clue that I need to get verified. Nope, not good enough for the aholes at IG/FB.

Thank you for doing this.
I think that was actually a strategy people used to use to get verified. They would create spam/fake accounts to prove they needed it.

I'm really surprised you weren't able to get verified on IG with how many podcasts, interviews and BOOKS you've done, lol. Crazy.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Anyone else find this crypto stuff overwhelming? Really wish I would have begun studying it earlier.

This was announced yesterday at the Bitcoin Conference 2022. Strikes Lightening Network has partnered with Shopify.
View: https://youtu.be/o73fWsqJDdY

I watched the video twice but still don't understand. Do you guys think it's over hyped? It's supposed to eliminate the 3% credit card processing fees.

Here's a simple explanation how it works:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I remember MTF started a thread that “Why you should not get comfortable”.

I think this echoes with me as in there seems to a general vague but false societal consensus that things should be much easier than they actually are.

My experience has always been things will screw up or remain mediocre at best unless special attention is paid to it.

I remember this quote from Strength Camp the youtuber that “life is supposed to be hard and not easy”. That echoes with me.

The general public is stuck with the idea that bury your head into the sands and things will work well.

The self-help community very much than often sell the idea that with right formula, science and tools things will be much easier.

These are very much dangerous assumptions being sold sublimely, not explicitly and accepted without challenge. Because inevitably such wrong assumption will lead to depression, self doubt, and severe damage to self confidence. “Why did I fail? Am I stupid or what..”

Once you accepted that life is hard, screwing up is normal, it takes extreme effort to make things work and you start to mentally to recalculate your expectations on every minor steps things start to work better both mentally and in practice.

The danger in the broad self-help and “I can do it mindset” is inevitably more often than not it leads you to the slippery slope to mentally underestimate the effort needed to achieve each minor goal.

The purpose of this rant leads to my counter intuitive observation that great execution tends to come from individuals who are hyper paranoid and hyper insecure about themselves (of course they resolve insecurity through hustling and actions).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
I remember MTF started a thread that “Why you should not get comfortable”.

I believe you're referring to this thread:

As for your post, my observation is that when people focus too much on the easy/pleasant/comfortable part of life, many of them are actually less happy. You can find a lot of meaning in doing hard things and people who are looking to make everything easy miss out on like 50% of life (and I'd argue it's the more important 50% because most accomplishment is a result of some level of suffering).

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
You can find a lot of meaning in doing hard things and people who are looking to make everything easy miss out on like 50% of life (and I'd argue it's the more important 50% because most accomplishment is a result of some level of suffering).
I think it’s mostly about having a purpose rather than chasing pleasure. Chasing pleasure makes you unhappy, having a purpose, which will often involve struggle and hardship is more conducive to happiness - not because of the suffering itself but rather because of what you learn about yourself in the process. It is self-discovery that gives off the pleasure.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a simple explanation how it works:

Perhaps too simple. Saying it's "simply magic" really doesn't convince me, especially because BTC is so consumption heavy.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Perhaps too simple. Saying it's "simply magic" really doesn't convince me, especially because BTC is so consumption heavy.

It's done on the Lightning Network which is way more efficient than Bitcoin.

The authors estimate that sending nine large emails equals one Lightning Network transaction. How do they do it? Using public data.
A large email is said to cost approximately 17 grams of CO2. You could be looking at just 9 emails to be on par with the carbon emissions of a transaction that can theoretically transfer millions of pounds worth of Bitcoin, and nobody has issues with sending hundreds of emails a day.

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA

I try to reflect on this frequently and adjust accordingly

Thanks, I see how my approach was flawed now by trying to make a decision without taking the time to actually think and being all-or-nothing vs. making adjustments (I’m not surprised lol). By answering those questions I definitely can see ways my lifestyle is misaligned with my values and purpose in certain ways and the next step will be to adjust. I made the mistake of not valuing friendships enough for too long too. They’re so rewarding. Sounds like an awesome business and work life set up you have. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Life in any other historical era would likely be harder than it is now, so we should be grateful for the times we live in.

I often think about the lives of my ancestors and what their lives looked like and what would have brought them happiness/purpose in their eras. For most of human history, life consisted of farming enough food to feed one's family and not dying in a feud, famine, or war. That was the purpose of life and anything else was ancillary. The fact that I can go to my fully-stocked fridge and prepare one of a dozen different Italian, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, or French dishes in less than an hour would blow the mind of every one of my ancestors. My spice drawer is stocked with spices that would have cost thousands of man-hours of labor only 400 years ago. I am thankful for all of that.

Sometimes I feel like we complicate life too much and add baggage and insecurities that aren't needed or helpful. I love being productive but I recognize that this productivity is for me because when I am gone, no one is going to care whether I spend 3 hours on a weekend working or 3 hours hiking and looking at plants.

The purpose of this rant leads to my counter intuitive observation that great execution tends to come from individuals who are hyper paranoid and hyper insecure about themselves (of course they resolve insecurity through hustling and actions).
I do not envy people who are hyper paranoid/hyper insecure and hustle to make themselves happy. My mom is like this and I have to remind her that working to exhaustion and the point of physical degradation is not good. Being productive is great, but productivity as a life purpose is just becoming a slave to one's own insecurities and is a sort of affliction, in my opinion.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
The Big Lebowski

Anyone else old enough here to remember this movie?

Dude!

Some movies are good enough to watch a few times. Even decades later.

Name a movie you watched more than 3x times.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The Big Lebowski

Dude!

Unforgiven. Clint Eastwood

Enjoyed the big Lebowski as well.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The Big Lebowski

Dude!

I introduced a friend to the big lebowski and he said he didn't like it that much.

Without exaggerating, I think a little bit less of his judgement now lol.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
The Big Lebowski

Dude!

Braveheart.
1649562284858.png

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The Big Lebowski

Dude!

Ha. Great movie.

Open Range
Live, Die, Repeat
Star Wars
The Bourne Identify movies
Heat

And loads of kids movies of course.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Yup.
I got sucked into the "morning routine" BS a few times.

I'm always most productive when my morning routine is getting work done.

So rather than walking X miles, journalling, reading etc in the morning, I take a 15 minute walk to wake up then start composing. It's made being productive easy.

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
Frustrated wanting to undertake things having been deplatformed by many, allmost all, social media outlets due to me not being able to shut my mouth on political subjects... Getting punished for giving my opinion. Free speech seems non existant.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
Frustrated wanting to undertake things having been deplatformed by many, allmost all, social media outlets due to me not being able to shut my mouth on political subjects... Getting punished for giving my opinion. Free speech seems non existant.

If only there was something between your thoughts and your mouth that could stop you from doing the things that harm your business. ;)

Hmmmm…

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I was just listening to a podcast and the guy shared the most insane Amazon F*cking someone over and stealing their business story I’ve ever heard.

This guy found a product that had a cheap version and an expensive version but no middle version, so he made the middle version brand. He developed the product with the factory and sold it on Amazon. I think he was selling $1.2m a month or a year of this on Amazon I forget.

And then Amazon bought his factory and stopped selling to him. He paid to and worked with this factory to develop this product and Amazon just bought the entire factory and stole the product from him and refused to sell it to him.

I’ve heard of them taking winning products and stealing the buy box and selling the product as Amazon basics, but buying the entire factory??

Amazon is evil. We need to do everything we can to stop giving as much of our money to these evil companies as we can.

I’m all for free market capitalism and competition but what the F*ck man, how can you compete with that. The more money and power we give them, the worse it’s going to get.

Support small local businesses and help these people out who are having a go working hard trying to free themselves from the rat race, instead of supporting bezos plan to take over the entire world and crush any business worth owning.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
459%
Mar 15, 2018
I was just listening to a podcast and the guy shared the most insane Amazon f*cking someone over and stealing their business story I’ve ever heard.

This guy found a product that had a cheap version and an expensive version but no middle version, so he made the middle version brand. He developed the product with the factory and sold it on Amazon. I think he was selling $1.2m a month or a year of this on Amazon I forget.

And then Amazon bought his factory and stopped selling to him.

I’ve heard of them taking winning products and stealing the buy box and selling the product as Amazon basics, but buying the entire factory??

Amazon is evil. We need to do everything we can to stop giving as much of our money to these evil companies as we can.

I’m all for free market capitalism and competition but what the f*ck man, how can you compete with that. The more money and power we give them, the worse it’s going to get.
There will come an alternative to Amazon in due course. It’s like any other business. There is always someone tinkering with ideas in their basement. You just can’t see them yet. Just like many retailers didn’t see Jeff Bezos.

But yeah, the story is F*cked.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There will come an alternative to Amazon in due course. It’s like any other business. There is always someone tinkering with ideas in their basement. You just can’t see them yet. Just like many retailers didn’t see Jeff Bezos.

But yeah, the story is f*cked.
I hope so, it needs to hurry up and happen.

Between black rock, Amazon, google, Facebook and Twitter the future is not looking bright.

A bunch of evil companies buying every house, censoring every part of the internet and destroying any opportunities for small businesses.

It sounds pessimistic and I know there will always be opportunities for people in business to fill a need but we don’t need to keep giving money to these companies who are continuously making it harder and harder.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I try to reflect on this frequently and adjust accordingly.
I like how you think.

Some of my life philosophies:
  1. Start how you mean to continue.
  2. I refuse to spend less time with my kids now so I can spend more time with them later.
  3. F*ck why. It only holds you back.
  4. Meh to motivation and accountability. Either do it or don’t do it.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I hope so, it needs to hurry up and happen.

Between black rock, Amazon, google, Facebook and Twitter the future is not looking bright.

A bunch of evil companies buying every house, censoring every part of the internet and destroying any opportunities for small businesses.

It sounds pessimistic and I know there will always be opportunities for people in business to fill a need but we don’t need to keep giving money to these companies who are continuously making it harder and harder.

COVID really messed up the flow of the housing market. I'm no expert but if new built houses can be sold at a an even bigger profit what is stopping people from building in-demand areas?

As web3 tech becomes more mainstream we should start to see decentralization again. Problem is everything on the blockchain cost something.

Knuffix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 25, 2014
Support small local businesses and help these people out who are having a go working hard trying to free themselves from the rat race, instead of supporting bezos plan to take over the entire world and crush any business worth owning.
Yeah, and go even further.

Build bigger businesses by cooperation, joint venture, merger etc.

Get access to more and better resources as a group instead of a single entity.

Or just buy the factory yourself, before Amazon does ;-)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.