The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Rant :

I feel like this has added up overtime in my thoughts and I have to let it out.

Everybody and their mama has an opinion on something. And a blog.

Everybody is an expert on Instagram.

Here I am, studying competition when Katy Jane pops up on my Instagram to tell me how to arrange my socks. She has 60 mil views.
DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE 68 ways of arranging socks? This is the most efficient way!

Everyday, we’re bombarded with an ever increasing number of unsolicited advice.

Just recently I googled “How long do avocados last?” a simple question, expecting a simple answer.

Here I am, going through 3000 fc^}+]*]ing words about avocados, when the answer should be Two words.

How does one stay sane ?

What solutions are to this?
Like I said, I was using the platform to study competition not to scroll endlessly through.

When did providing value( it must be worth something to somebody) became so intrusive? I shouldn’t have to filter through my own thoughts so I can forget Jane’s way of arranging socks.
And no, I’m not 65, I’m 25.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When you sell something to someone and it adds value to their work, it gives you a high that almost nothing can compete with.

Feedback loop!! :thumbsup:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Rant :

I feel like this has added up overtime in my thoughts and I have to let it out.

Everybody and their mama has an opinion on something. And a blog.

Everybody is an expert on Instagram.

Here I am, studying competition when Katy Jane pops up on my Instagram to tell me how to arrange my socks. She has 60 mil views.
DID YOU KNOW THERE ARE 68 ways of arranging socks? This is the most efficient way!

Everyday, we’re bombarded with an ever increasing number of unsolicited advice.

Just recently I googled “How long do avocados last?” a simple question, expecting a simple answer.

Here I am, going through 3000 fc^}+]*]ing words about avocados, when the answer should be Two words.

How does one stay sane ?

What solutions are to this?
Like I said, I was using the platform to study competition not to scroll endlessly through.

When did providing value( it must be worth something to somebody) became so intrusive? I shouldn’t have to filter through my own thoughts so I can forget Jane’s way of arranging socks.
And no, I’m not 65, I’m 25.

The vampires suck out your life-force through your eyes while you endlessly scroll. The experts with unnecessarily long and click-baity 'advice' are actually their ghouls.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Amazon.com

Warning: the title of the book is Images You Should Not Masturbate To. Probably not check it at work LOL.

I find it unbelievable how someone could have come up with this completely ridiculous idea and how successful it's been (1200+ reviews, WTF!!!).

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Stay off social media, it works wonders.

I was on a dating site, and a girl mentioned having 30,000 followers on Instagram.......

Believe it or not, I'm not exactly impressed by such a grand accomplishment :cool: Not sure why someone would bring that up while getting to know someone :wideyed:

D

Deleted78083

Forecast pretends that e-commerce sales will reach 1 trillion USD in the US by 2022.

From a consumer behavior point of view, I think it's a mistake. I think in fact e-commerce sales will decrease. Here's why.

Mainstreet was dying before the pandemic because people were increasingly buying online.

Why?

Because they had a bunch of stuff to do like commuting to the office, and buying online helped save time and most of the time, money as well.

Then the pandemic arrived and buying online was the only way to buy anything. So de facto, online sales sky-rocketed.

Simultaneously, people started working from home. Everything moved online and this is how "Zoom fatigue" was invented.

The problem is that while the pandemic will end, people will not go back to the office.

Do we really think that the online shopping trend which started when people worked in an office will continue when people work from home???

I don't think so. That would be too much screen. After a long day of WFH, people will be happy to go out and buy things IRL instead of spending even more time in front of a screen.

As such, while mainstreet was dying before the pandemic because people were already spending too much time in "the physical world" (understand: the office), they shifted to buying online because it was easier. Now that people will WFH and already spend enough time online, I argue that they will have more time and will be happier to shop IRL than online, as it'd be too much "online time" otherwise.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Forecast pretends that e-commerce sales will reach 1 trillion USD in the US by 2022.

From a consumer behavior point of view, I think it's a mistake. I think in fact e-commerce sales will decrease. Here's why.

Mainstreet was dying before the pandemic because people were increasingly buying online.

Why?

Because they had a bunch of stuff to do like commuting to the office, and buying online helped save time and most of the time, money as well.

Then the pandemic arrived and buying online was the only way to buy anything. So de facto, online sales sky-rocketed.

Simultaneously, people started working from home. Everything moved online and this is how "Zoom fatigue" was invented.

The problem is that while the pandemic will end, people will not go back to the office.

Do we really think that the online shopping trend which started when people worked in an office will continue when people work from home???

I don't think so. That would be too much screen. After a long day of WFH, people will be happy to go out and buy things IRL instead of spending even more time in front of a screen.

As such, while mainstreet was dying before the pandemic because people were already spending too much time in "the physical world" (understand: the office), they shifted to buying online because it was easier. Now that people will WFH and already spend enough time online, I argue that they will have more time and will be happier to shop IRL than online, as it'd be too much "online time" otherwise.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I wouldn't be surprised if e-commerce hit that number just from overall growth, while main street sales also grew big time too. But I love your write up and explanation.

Your analysis, in my experience, is spot on. It's actually a lot more fun to go to a physical location. It's easier to buy clothes when you can feel them and try them on. Some places are an experience outright, like a shopping mall. The Galleria is a destination, not just a place to get supplies.

One of my favorite things to do is go to Habitat and see the new furniture for sale. Lol

Keep in mind I'm only in my 20's and still very often get in the "Too much screen!!" mood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
After a long day of WFH, people will be happy to go out and buy things IRL instead of spending even more time in front of a screen.

Google "revenge buying."

There's a whole huge crowd out there of women with money who have been deprived of their shopping fix for a whole year.

Apparently they've come up with this new term for the idea of "making up for lost time" in buying habits.

Yesterday, I overheard two older ladies talking to each other. The first lady said, in a tone of voice just dripping with relish, "This week, I walked into a clothing shop to pick up an item for the first time in a whole year! I had ordered the item online to pick up in store, so I'm not quite to the point where I'm ready to go "regular shopping," but it was so amazing to go in to the shop and get to try it on there."

The second lady said, with just as much evident glee, "Oh, you know what me and my girlfriends did? Saturday was my birthday, and friend 1's birthday is also this week, and friend 2's birthday is this month, and friend 3's birthday was back in November but we couldn't celebrate it because of the pandemic. So we all went out to eat for the first time since the lockdowns. And they had 8 different kinds of dessert in these little shot glasses. At first, we were each trying to decide on a flavor. But then we just went wild and told the waitress, "Bring us one of each. And a bunch of spoons."

It was like they had never permitted themselves to dream of such wild indulgences.

So yeah.

I think there's going to be an in-person shopping revival.

D

Deleted78083

Google "revenge buying."

There's a whole huge crowd out there of women with money who have been deprived of their shopping fix for a whole year.

Apparently they've come up with this new term for the idea of "making up for lost time" in buying habits.

Yesterday, I overheard two older ladies talking to each other. The first lady said, in a tone of voice just dripping with relish, "This week, I walked into a clothing shop to pick up an item for the first time in a whole year! I had ordered the item online to pick up in store, so I'm not quite to the point where I'm ready to go "regular shopping," but it was so amazing to go in to the shop and get to try it on there."

The second lady said, with just as much evident glee, "Oh, you know what me and my girlfriends did? Saturday was my birthday, and friend 1's birthday is also this week, and friend 2's birthday is this month, and friend 3's birthday was back in November but we couldn't celebrate it because of the pandemic. So we all went out to eat for the first time since the lockdowns. And they had 8 different kinds of dessert in these little shot glasses. At first, we were each trying to decide on a flavor. But then we just went wild and told the waitress, "Bring us one of each. And a bunch of spoons."

It was like they had never permitted themselves to dream of such wild indulgences.

So yeah.

I think there's going to be an in-person shopping revival.
I had heard of revenge travel, but not revenge shopping.

I do know that Americans saved up something along the lines of 1.8 trillion USD (not sure about the number, but it was in trillions for sure) during the pandemic, and that they were ready to spend it all when it reopens.

Side note: wouldnt it be funny if inflation happened as a result of shopping spree and not unlimited money printing? : P

Edit: the automatic smileys on this forum are the ugliest of the whole internet.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I stand by the advice that I gave.
I think there are two scenarios, one where you shouldn't talk, and the other where the police are your best friend:

Scenario 1: Something bad happened to someone else (anything from a cop pulled you over to someone was murdered). Unless there's no possible way you were a suspect (you were out of the country and have no motive), shut up. Don't say a word, no matter what. There's a great video about this on YouTube presented by a lawyer. Its about 45 minutes, but very interesting. There's a cost benefit ratio here. On the one end is the little you'll gain by talking. The other end is that you'll be incorrectly targeted, risking prison time, or, at the very least, huge expense, time waste and a disrupted life.

Here's the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Scenario 2: You're the victim or need help in some other way. Talk freely. Cops are good people and are looking to help. I've been on the receiving end of this kind of help, and it was really nice to have someone helping that had the force of the police behind them.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
An interesting story of success and failure of the Flow by
Andrew Wilkinson, shared by him on his twitter: link to compiled thread

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Diversity is an old, old wooden ship used in the Civil War era.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Does anyone else ever spend a long time thinking through a problem, then figure out that the solution only takes a minute to implement, only to realize that you're actually more angry than happy about its simplicity?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Does anyone else ever spend a long time thinking through a problem, then figure out that the solution only takes a minute to implement, only to realize that you're actually more angry than happy about its simplicity?
That's my least favorite kind of problem to solve. Usually, its a programming related thing where there's some stupid spelling error, errant semicolon, or something else stupid that take hours to troubleshoot.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Fastlane? Entrepreneurship?

Meh.

Why bother when you can just sit on the beach all day and be a cognizant observer?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

What are the odds that this bubble fueled by stimulus and fake value keeps growing massively then the Federal Reserve takes out all of the private businesses in one fell swoop with a massive interest rate hike or another pandemic?

Then they blame capitalism and take control of basically everything...?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Fastlane? Entrepreneurship?

Meh.

Why bother when you can just sit on the beach all day and be a cognizant observer?

Wow that is ridiculous!

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
What are the odds that this bubble fueled by stimulus and fake value keeps growing massively then the Federal Reserve takes out all of the private businesses in one fell swoop with a massive interest rate hike or another pandemic?

Then they blame capitalism and take control of basically everything...?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8GgunjEJA8

Any volunteers to do a cover version of this called "capitalism made me do it" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edit: maybe this would be better:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICG0MuzEYzw

:rofl:

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Just unfollowed a lot of productivity youtubers because youtube was getting addictive and I had lost focus, also deactivated my twitter account.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
D78641D8-BBC7-4910-BEF8-065C4E5D64A6.jpeg

I never understood why this is so great? You are at the beach but you have to be on your laptop. Washed out in the sun. Sand all over you. Not swimming. Not enjoying the beach. No one to talk to. If you dare take a break to go swimming you have to make sure no one messes with your laptop.

This laptop on a beach business mantra... So not my thing. Build something bigger... Something that pays for actual beach time.

Better yet:

537A318A-37BA-4595-894E-ABC24D3D5D9F.jpeg

They make them for a reason... Because people can afford them.

Stop being a wimp that aspires to a $1500 computer that you need to use when you’re at a beach. Aspire to the yacht, with the time and freedom to use it and bring along some friends and family. You can even bring the laptop too... So you can check on your money while you are refilling your cocktail.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
View attachment 37416

I never understood why this is so great? You are at the beach but you have to be on your laptop. Washed out in the sun. Sand all over you. Not swimming. Not enjoying the beach. No one to talk to. If you dare take a break to go swimming you have to make sure no one messes with your laptop.

This laptop on a beach business mantra... So not my thing. Build something bigger... Something that pays for actual beach time.

Better yet:

View attachment 37417

They make them for a reason... Because people can afford them.

Your idea about the movie with the net worth bubble displayed over the head and separating people into social classes made me think about this movie:

The display is on the arm, and it shows time, not money, but in this case, it's the same thing, and it separates people into social classes.

I don't remember much about the movie. The main character who is time-poor (living paycheck to paycheck) gets a bunch of time put on his clock by a man of wealth who is tired of living. A cop investigating the wealthy man's death connects the poor guy and assumes he stole the money. He arrests the poor guy and confiscates the money. The rest of the movie is basically the poor guy being poor, trying to survive while fighting to bring down the system (I think).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Your idea about the movie with the net worth bubble displayed over the head and separating people into social classes made me think about this movie:

The display is on the arm, and it shows time, not money, but in this case, it's the same thing, and it separates people into social classes.

I don't remember much about the movie. The main character who is time-poor (living paycheck to paycheck) gets a bunch of time put on his clock by a man of wealth who is tired of living. A cop investigating the wealthy man's death connects the poor guy and assumes he stole the money. He arrests the poor guy and confiscates the money. The rest of the movie is basically the poor guy being poor, trying to survive while fighting to bring down the system (I think).
I saw that movie. It was pretty cool!

The messaging would obviously be different in my iteration.

Would people buy fancy a$$ stuff anymore? How would people’s consumer behavior change? If everyone already knew how much money you had, and you knew how much they had. How would consumer psychology change?

So many people have nothing, but a lot of cool stuff. Another type, a friend of mine said he’s known a guy for years, drove a Honda Pilot, lived in a modest home, the guy is worth tens of millions.

I have another close friend that goes ball hawking on the golf course. He could afford to hit brand new pro v 1s into the ocean off of a mega yacht.

What happens when status isn’t image, but instead, reality?

Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%