The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I feel like people don’t realize how many “1 percenters” live in small towns and have old fashioned businesses.

Even billionaires like Zuck either don’t get this or don’t care.
Yes!

I have made this case more than once on the show. There are BILLIONAIRES with a B that live in small towns and/or have boring, old fashioned businesses.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
McLane comes to mind ;)
Look at all 2000+ people on the Forbes billionaire list. 99% of them are people none of us have ever heard of.

Now think about the thousands of more people worth $100m+

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Look at all 2000+ people on the Forbes billionaire list. 99% of them are people none of us have ever heard of.

Now think about the thousands of more people worth $100m+
Its always inspiring when you think of it that way. I remember reading that there are millions (multiple millions) of millionaires in the United States.

If that ain’t awesome, I don’t know what is.

Apparently, *18.6 million Americans are millionaires based on my last google search.

Another source says 12 million are millionaires.

That is crazy. Anybody can make it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I decided something today...

As people who LOVE going out to eat... And are mildly shamed by people for doing it so often... I decided to fight back like a drunk guy sick of the company with nothing but an outrageous claim to stuff on them. :rofl:

But then something funny happened, I started to believe my own BS. Now I feel seriously right. It’s not BS at all!

The claim:
“Going out to eat is cheaper than cooking at home, especially if you aren’t drinking.”

I know a bunch of you want to call bullshit on me... Just like they did... But you won’t convince me now.

Value your time at a mere $25 dollars an hour and you blow the doors off of eating at home. This doesn’t count quick “meals” like a banana for breakfast or a protein bar for lunch which I frequently do. I’m talking real meals.

To have a dinner at home you have to spend at approx 30 minutes acquiring the crap you plan to cook when you divide up the trip to the grocery store among the things you buy.

Much of the cost is unquantifiable. Some of what you buy will become uneaten leftovers. Some will spoil before you remember to finish it all.

You spend 30-90 minutes preparing the meal.

You spend 20 minutes cleaning up after the meal and 10 minutes emptying the dishwasher. Another 30.

One good dinner at home-
1 hour 30 minutes: $37.50 - 2 hours 30 minutes: $62.50

$37.50-62.50 in TIME alone.

Now let’s just assume you buy good food for two people... $15-40 worth of food!

We are talking $52.50-102 per meal at home... If you value your time at $25/hour.

Thats a pretty nice meal out for two.

Now here’s the kicker. I value my time much much more than $25.

Is your time, your most precious commodity, worthless to you? No.

Screw cooking.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

As people who LOVE going out to eat... And are mildly shamed by people for doing it so often... I decided to fight back like a drunk guy sick of the company with nothing, but an outrageous claim to stuff on them. :rofl:

But then something funny happened, I started to believe my own BS. Now I feel seriously right. It’s not BS at all!

The claim:
“Going out to eat is cheaper than cooking at home, especially if you aren’t drinking.”

I know a bunch of you want to call bullshit on me... Just like they did... But you won’t convince me now

Value your time at a mere $25 dollars an hour and you blow the doors off of eating at home. This doesn’t count quick “meals” like a banana for breakfast or a protein bar for lunch which I frequently do. I’m taking MEALS.

To have a dinner at home you have to spend at approx 30 minutes acquiring the crap you plan to cook when you divide up the trip to the grocery store among the things you buy.

Much of the cost is unquantifiable! Some of what you buy will become uneaten leftovers. Some will spoil before you remember to finish it all.

You spend 20 minutes cleaning up after the meal and 10 minutes emptying the dishwasher. Another 30.

One good dinner at home-

We are talking $52.50-102 per meal at home... If you value your time at $25/hour.

Screw cooking.

One of the most important people you can have in life is a full time cook, and just someone overall to take care of everything, that's the dream, aswell as a personal driver/pilot

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
One of the most important people you can have in life is a full time cook, and just someone overall to take care of everything, that's the dream, aswell as a personal driver/pilot
I had one on a yacht we rented in the Bahamas for 10 days... I didn’t love it.. I still wanted to go out to eat and explore wherever we were docked.

His meals were amazing, but I felt like I was insulting him to go eat somewhere else. I wouldn’t do it again.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Why should I own an Apple Watch?

Anyone?

So that the car warranty scammers are strapped to your wrist and can always reach you.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

As people who LOVE going out to eat... And are mildly shamed by people for doing it so often... I decided to fight back like a drunk guy sick of the company with nothing, but an outrageous claim to stuff on them. :rofl:

The claim:

I know a bunch of you want to call bullshit on me... Just like they did... But you won’t convince me now

Value your time at a mere $25 dollars an hour and you blow the doors off of eating at home. This doesn’t count quick “meals” like a banana for breakfast or a protein bar for lunch which I frequently do. I’m taking MEALS.

Much of the cost is unquantifiable! Some of what you buy will become uneaten leftovers. Some will spoil before you remember to finish it all.

One good dinner at home-

Screw cooking.

The reason I cook is that restaurants, even supposedly healthy ones, throw tons of salt and sugar and other crap in the food. I probably lose a bit of time (although everything is at least a 20 minute drive from my house), but I won't have high blood pressure from taking in the kilograms of extra salt.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The reason I cook is that restaurants, even supposedly healthy ones, throw tons of salt and sugar and other crap in the food. I probably lose a bit of time (although everything is at least a 20 minute drive from my house), but I won't have high blood pressure from taking in the kilograms of extra salt.
Yes! Eating out healthily is an art form, but I think I have it mostly figured out.

Last edited:

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
It is a struggle to eat healthy outside of the house. The absolute WORST is finding healthy food on a road trip.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I am rich and can afford cooking myself at home.

Though I love going somewhere for lunch. But mostly the quality food isnt the reason. Its more the event
You can have your social contacts better going out.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Are there affiliate programs where you can say, provide a link or referral that pays part to you and part to a charity or nonprofit?

i.e. some % affiliate, with part of that to your biz and part of it to the charity or nonprofit

for example, I have a fishing product and it would make sense to promote an affiliate link to my product with a portion of the proceeds going to some ocean conservation group

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

As people who LOVE going out to eat... And are mildly shamed by people for doing it so often... I decided to fight back like a drunk guy sick of the company with nothing but an outrageous claim to stuff on them. :rofl:

The claim:

I know a bunch of you want to call bullshit on me... Just like they did... But you won’t convince me now.

Value your time at a mere $25 dollars an hour and you blow the doors off of eating at home. This doesn’t count quick “meals” like a banana for breakfast or a protein bar for lunch which I frequently do. I’m talking real meals.

Much of the cost is unquantifiable. Some of what you buy will become uneaten leftovers. Some will spoil before you remember to finish it all.

One good dinner at home-

Screw cooking.

I eat once a day. My window is 3 hours. Prep 30 minutes to 1 hour. Eat during the 2 hours. I spend $100 a month on food.

I eat high quality food as well.

I WOULD love for a meal prep company or personal chef to take over. I just hadn't found a QUALITY meal prep company. A personal chef is not in the plan right now.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I eat once a day. My window is 3 hours. Prep 30 minutes to 1 hour. Eat during the 2 hours. I spend $100 a month on food.

I eat high quality food as well.

I WOULD love for a meal prep company or personal chef to take over. I just hadn't found a QUALITY meal prep company. A personal chef is not in the plan right now.

I eat super light for breakfast and lunch, sometimes not at all, and then eat a real meal for dinner.

Like I said, the banana, or a yogurt, or a protein bar... Super easy stuff you can’t really call a “meal.”

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans

The claim:

One good dinner at home-

Screw cooking.
But I am at home, where I would rather be spending my time cooking, having unrestricted conversations, and not have to deal with people pretending to care for a tip. You didn’t add in the drive time to the restaurant, the 10-15 min just to get seated and drink orders in while you look over the menu, and on and on like the 10 minutes that it takes just to pay a bill.
Now if you talk takeout, which I do often, I would agree that you save time overall and I can still be in the comfort of my home. Rarely is the food ever messed up or cold.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Stuff like taking surveys online, becoming a notary, flipping stuff online for a $5 profit...

Online surveys are a joke. I remember years ago looking into them and finding out for an hour of my time, I would make like $10 at best. A real side hustle is something that can actually make you money. I am part of the craft fair circuit locally. Those types of gigs can actually make a decent profit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

The claim:

One good dinner at home-

Screw cooking.

From a long term perspective, how many YEARS will you be cutting off your life when you reach my age and beyond? You save time on the front end, but how about the back end?

Restaurant food isn't the best nutritionally and tend to be high in salt, bad fat, bad oils, and everything in between.

Restaurants are businesses seeking to maximize profit, hence, the use the cheapest oils, the cheapest ingredients, and the cheapest options, even if you are visiting higher-end places. While eating Chipolte or Subway everyday sounds "healthy" - I guarantee, it probably isn't.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Have y’all ever noticed how absolutely horrible every “side hustle” blog is?

The suggestions are so bad it makes me want to puke.

Stuff like taking surveys online, becoming a notary, flipping stuff online for a $5 profit...
No. What's worse is the person who they have on a podcast. Will sell you the secret... for a mere $497.97.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No. What's worse is the person who they have on a podcast. Will sell you the secret... for a mere $497.97.
Haha... it’s sad because in many cases you would make more money mowing lawns, painting fences, or digging dirt as a self employed worker.

Obviously there are way higher value tasks, but filling out surveys is just stupid if you want to actually make some money. Our culture is pretty lazy

D

Deleted78083

Flawless customer acquisition and maintenance
How I became their customer (for life?)
When I started my meat diet, I needed to find a cheap and reliable butchery, so I went to the slaughterhouse of Brussels where they have a giant meat market with 20+ different butcheries.

It was a bit overwhelming at first. I went around and carefully looked at the meat and wrote down prices. Eventually, I chose one butchery because the meat looked good, it wasn't too expensive, and they were offering discounts on "meat packages". I remember the first one I ever bought. It was a 7kg meat package for 34 euros. Talk about a bargain!!!

I don't know if they knew that I was a first-time customer, but they threw in a slice of "pate creme" for free that time. I was ecstatic cuz I love getting free stuff! I kept on going every week.

Lesson 1: give free stuff to your first-time customers.

After a month or so, they started knowing me. I was the guy who was buying a sh*t lot of meat each week. I had found out by then that besides the minced meat, their products were high-quality. They started saying "hi" to me and asking me how I was doing like if we had been knowing each other for years. I felt comfortable.

Lesson 2: know and recognize your customers.

Then I changed my diet slightly and started eating fatty beef ribeyes mainly. So I started ordering every week beef ribeyes, "the fattiest ones you have, please". Since I was buying a lot of them (about 9 kg per week + other stuff for a price averaging 100 euros weekly), she started to make sure I'd get the fat ones.

One day she was serving another customer which was before me but had noticed me. Since she was busy, her colleague came to take my order, and I asked for 12 ribeyes, "the fattiest ones possible please".

The lady which normally served me was so preoccupied about me getting my fatty ribeyes that she stopped serving her customer to select the fatty ribeyes in the showcase for me, ordering her colleague to go fetch at the back "the fattiest ones you can find, it is really important!!".

I don't remember anyone taking my order as seriously as they did. In fact, my experience counts more episodes of salespeople making fun of me when I asked them questions, or plainly refusing to provide what I was asking for whatever reasons, than anything else.

As I was paying, they threw in a free bucket of "filet americain", a local dish.

Lesson 3: take your customers' orders seriously

Finally, the last notable event happened today. The ribeyes they had in the showcase sucked. None of them were fat. So the lady wich normally serves me said "wait 5 minutes". She went to the back of the shop and came back 5 minutes later, with some extra fatty ribeyes she had cut herself.

I paid, she threw in a free dish of "filet americain" again (they do so every week now), wished me a good weekend, and thanked me for my purchase.

Lesson 4: go out of your way to serve high-paying customers.

And that's how I became their client, probably for life.

Recap: give them free stuff the first time they buy from you (or a discount), get to know them very quickly, take their orders extremely seriously, go out of your way to serve high-paying customers.

What amazes me the most about this butchery is that they give me what I want.

When I go to another butchery and ask for fatty ribeyes, most of the time, they don't give me fatty ones, or they just don't have any and give me something else. Do you know how freaking annoying it is? I want my ribeyes, and I want them fat. Period.

This butchery understands me, and they make sure to give me exactly what I desire. And I am always happy to go back knowing they will make efforts they technically don't have to make to keep me satisfied.

What else could I ask? As a result, 100% of my monthly food budget goes directly into their pocket. And I am happy about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Have y’all ever noticed how absolutely horrible every “side hustle” blog is?

The suggestions are so bad it makes me want to puke.

I had this problem searching for "Small Town Business Ideas." Hoped to find blogs/channels etc. that focused exclusively on profitable business ideas that could be done in towns with very few people (Like 10k or less) but all that popped up was "Small Business Ideas" and most of those came from penny hoarder blog. Their blog sucks balls. They just post the same suggestions over and over to fill space, and those suggestions are usually "Freelance, Fill out surveys, dog walk, uber" GFYS!!!!!!!!!

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.

The trick is to make friends with the staff and get them to cook you healthy stuff. This is why I love working with business owners who also have restaurants. I help them with stuff, I get to eat for free at their place AND demand preferential treatment.

Want less salt? You ask and you get it.

You tell a chef at a French-style restaurant "keep it low on the butter" and he'll look at you like you just spat in his face... but if you're his buddy and you work with his boss he'll be like "sure thing bro" and cook you a delicious af healthy dish that you don't have to pay anything for. EZ. And then you don't have moral qualms with tips either :p

If you know marketing or design or how to solve problems it's super easy.

Went to a restaurant that I liked and their menu pissed me off because it was an awful piece of paper full of spelling errors and boneappletea-ing dish names, especially in foreign languages, so I asked them... "Yo would you like me to upgrade your menu for you?" and who would say no to that? I worked for like 2 hours editing the content and quickly designing it, invested $50 to get a few copies printed, presented it to them... and I got reimbursed for my entire investment and then I ate there for free for months.

Help people and they'll help you back.

If I can't enter staff-only areas without feeling like I belong, then I'm not comfortable eating there tbh. So wherever I hang for extended periods of time I try to find places where I can belong :) helps with agoraphobia and stuff.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I feel like people don’t realize how many “1 percenters” live in small towns and have old fashioned businesses.

Even billionaires like Zuck either don’t get this or don’t care.

I prefer that they live in greater houses, honestly. It's inspiring to see great works of architecture.

The Taj Mahal was a tomb for a ruler's wife.
1616931173019.png

Neuschwanstein Castle
1616931120342.png

Though no Burj Khalifa style garbage, please.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I prefer that they live in greater houses, honestly. It's inspiring to see great works of architecture.

The Taj Mahal was a tomb for a ruler's wife.
View attachment 37350

Neuschwanstein Castle
View attachment 37349

Though no Burj Khalifa style garbage, please.
Yeah. I’m talking about someone earning $400k - 1 or 2 million personally. Not someone who lives in a castle

Goals are good though. This is more like what Zuck himself could afford. Or Gates. They’re not the 1%. They’re the 0.00000001%.

If you really wanted to be in a building like this, the smart way to do it would be to fit it into your business somehow.

Dont own something this ridiculous personally.

But yeah the only royalty I could think of doing something like that today would be house of Saud or the British royals. Maybe Putin. Not your average biz owner!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.