The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
View attachment 34856

Just saw this monument to stupidity posted somewhere.

This picture has me so heated because ever since the coronavirus there as been this trend of "canceling rent", "landlords - bad. They shouldn't own the property if they're not going to live in it".

Those comments are from one thread. I can't even describe how infuriating it is to see people talk like this. How many Americans actually think like this? It shocks me. Look at the second attached picture. 60K Likes???

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Morgan77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jan 1, 2020
This picture has me so heated because ever since the coronavirus there as been this trend of "canceling rent", "landlords - bad. They shouldn't own the property if they're not going to live in it".
View attachment 34866View attachment 34867View attachment 34870View attachment 34869View attachment 34868

Those comments are from one thread. I can't even describe how infuriating it is to see people talk like this. How many Americans actually think like this? It shocks me. Look at the second attached picture. 60K Likes???
I absolutely hate seeing anything on social media these days, there's always some moron spouting their moron opinion and it pisses me off, and people are so easily influenced by anything they see. Second screenshot with that many likes sums it up.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I had revelation about politics.
Look, it's not about programs, budgets or anything except one thing:
Making things up. Bear with me.

It doesn't matter if it's true or not.
The one who will make up something better than opponent wins.

It's equivalent of box or rather setup fight in back alley. Whatever you'll bring to the fight that helps you win, makes you win.

In short its not what you made up but fact that you made something up is the proof of you being potentially best.
It's like flexing instead of punching.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View attachment 34866View attachment 34867View attachment 34870View attachment 34869View attachment 34868

You know what they should cancel at this point?

Public education...

It is no suprise this is what we get out the other side of kids growing up learning from Marxist teachers.

Maybe people, when given responsibilities to take care of their own education, would actually take it seriously and learn a thing or two.

We obviously don't need public education if this is how clueless the beneficiaries of that system are.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Lets throw argument -"You wanna cancel rent? Then get a loan and buy your own house"

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You know what they should cancel at this point?

Public education...

It is no suprise this is what we get out the other side of kids growing up learning from Marxist teachers.

Maybe people, when given responsibilities to take care of their own education, would actually take it seriously and learn a thing or two.

We obviously don't need public education if this is how clueless the beneficiaries of that system are.

The entire western world would benefit immeasurably from that.

Unfortunately no politician would have the balls to pull that off.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Unlimited ideas, if you ever would have shortage
Rlol idea
Device that is attached to dogs collar and connects to an App.
Now the lol part- app tells dog to fetch, sit or lay down.
Can't stop laughing

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
This really got to me today. This popped up on my LinkedIn feed.

I hate this culture of congratulating people on staying put at one place for years of their life. There are very few people that see this post up on their timeline and think "hell yeah, 16 years of my life!"

And then all the BS comments and language that LinkedIn uses. "Congratulate them" and "Celebrating", and then the canned responses of "Congrats!" or "Wow, 16 years already!"

I don't really have a lot to stand on because I'm still in a slow lane myself. And I absolutely hate it. On Saturday night I'm already dreading Monday morning. And the guys that work with me just say "you gotta have patience, it will pay off in another 5 years." WTF, why do I need to burn 5 years of my life to start being successful at a company, and especially when I don't even like what I do?

Anyway, I just really hate how LinkedIn glorifies work, even though I know that is what their entire business model is based on.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
when I had an anniversary, me boss wanted to congratulate me.
I replyed, that its My foult that I havent left jet.
Big silence:)

BTW I m still there

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Apparently, there is life on Venus. Weird when you think we scoop galaxies thousands of light years away, but then we don't really know what's up with our own planets.

For sure, you can make [phosphene] industrially, but there are no factories on Venus; and there are certainly no penguins.

Not even a few penguins? Can we really say that with certainty? :eyes:

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
It's really important to just stick to the plan, measure results, and trust the process.

Total strength up 66%, 9kg weight down, all bloodwork perfect.

Social media has grown big time.

A few thousand more in my bank account. Debt nearly paid off.

And all just because of repeated action, no hasty steps, no reconsidering, but juuuust sticking to the plan, measuring, and trusting the process.

WestCoastMax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 13, 2020
Earth
It's really important to just stick to the plan, measure results, and trust the process.

Total strength up 66%, 9kg weight down, all bloodwork perfect.

Social media has grown big time.

A few thousand more in my bank account. Debt nearly paid off.

And all just because of repeated action, no hasty steps, no reconsidering, but juuuust sticking to the plan, measuring, and trusting the process.

Congrats man

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
So apparently this was a Superbowl ad back in 1999, but it's new to me:

I mean, that's a lot of people that would have seen that, I wondered how many people it really reached though.

And I don't mean "influenced to use monster.com"

And then of course the ad-industry parody:

Just cos the web designer bit made me lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Not really a rant, might be better as a thread but my thoughts aren't totally together yet...
But what can be done about the "retail apocalypse?" Hear me out.

Most of the time people spend congregating and socializing (esp. with new faces) happens on commercial properties: at the mall, at bars, restaurants, other "hang out" places.

Our generation (speaking from the cut off of being a Gen Z / millennial) has also mostly gone to universities, joined greek life, and had a ton of close community with others.

The problem is after college, and with all these commercial places shutting down, where do you hang out with and meet new people???

I think eating & drinking establishments will always be a thing. Apartment communities have pools and common areas for relaxing and hanging out. But there is an unmet need / problem in the marketplace here that I'm having difficulty describing... People need places to congregate, make friends, interact. Fewer are going to church, retail stores are kind of dying as a fixture of the city/community... I guess that leaves...bars? The only place to hang out with peers and meet people?

Any thoughts?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any thoughts?

I agree with your assessment, but the problem is, young people won't remove the damn smartphone plastered to their faces. That is an underlying social issue that seems to be ignored, an elephant in the room...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I agree with your assessment, but the problem is, young people won't remove the damn smartphone plastered to their faces. That is an underlying social issue that seems to be ignored, an elephant in the room...

Thanks for responding, MJ! Yes, that is an even bigger problem, one I suffer from too.

Another problem that needs a good solution. The immediate access of the internet is just too damn dopamine-rich to ignore! It's like unlimited drugs in your pocket.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Not really a rant, might be better as a thread but my thoughts aren't totally together yet...
But what can be done about the "retail apocalypse?" Hear me out.

Most of the time people spend congregating and socializing (esp. with new faces) happens on commercial properties: at the mall, at bars, restaurants, other "hang out" places.

Our generation (speaking from the cut off of being a Gen Z / millennial) has also mostly gone to universities, joined greek life, and had a ton of close community with others.

The problem is after college, and with all these commercial places shutting down, where do you hang out with and meet new people???

I think eating & drinking establishments will always be a thing. Apartment communities have pools and common areas for relaxing and hanging out. But there is an unmet need / problem in the marketplace here that I'm having difficulty describing... People need places to congregate, make friends, interact. Fewer are going to church, retail stores are kind of dying as a fixture of the city/community... I guess that leaves...bars? The only place to hang out with peers and meet people?

Any thoughts?

One thing as I've gotten older, I've started talking to all the neighbors. Even though out here, any neighbor is a walk over at least an acre or two between houses. We even bring them fruit or eggs sometimes ('cause we have trees and chickens).

Now, I know everyone doesn't have the excuse of a sudden surplus of bananas and starfruit to meet neighbors, but surely there's something. And a lot of people live closer together, which means there are more people around.

When I was a kid in a subdivision there were "neighborhood block parties." A few of the walled subdivisions would get together and everyone would meet each other. Usually it was picnik/bbq style on the sidewalk or in one of the empty areas around the neighborhood. Do people still do this? I don't know. But it can be done, even without a business property nearby.

Now, this next part actually is a rant, and it's about the way things "were." It's tangentially related, but I'm going to, at least partly, argue against this "congregating at some big shopping mall away from home."

I think it's a tragedy that people had to "go somewhere" to meet people in the first place. How did we come to that? How many people actually know all of their neighbors... even know who they are or what they look like? It seems rare when I observe the general public. Imagine this: You leave a place with 1,000 people living around you, drive 15 miles or more over lifeless post-apocalypse terrain (roads they call them) and meet up at a place where everything costs 5x more than at your house. Throw a martini party in the driveway... it's cheaper. And why are we so far separated from "the places we're going."

Part of the answer is zoning. I can see not wanting to have an auto shop or a sawmill next to your house. But does every type of commercial property have to be so far away from the residential properties? These poor commuters (including bussed kids) lose 2 hours a day moving from the green zone to the blue zone and back again (Sim City reference, sorry!). You would think we could integrate those a little more.

Look at a European town and it's often much, much better. They built a lot of these places when driving 60mph from place to place was not an option. Therefore, there are walking areas, town squares, local markets, local pubs and stores, all in the vicinity of where people live.

In the US, where almost all the cities grew up with cars, we have a baking desert of asphalt connecting nodes of isolated commerce or living space. Put space for small local commerce in the middle, and build neighborhoods around it for God's sake. Build more "commercial downstairs, residential upstairs" for people who have relatively non-disruptive businesses.

Anyway, you land developers, please implement my rant before the rest of the world has to be covered in asphalt. This is a good time since people are worried about too many people in one place at one time. Thanks in advance. ;)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One thing as I've gotten older, I've started talking to all the neighbors. Even though out here, any neighbor is a walk over at least an acre or two between houses. We even bring them fruit or eggs sometimes ('cause we have trees and chickens).

Now, I know everyone doesn't have the excuse of a sudden surplus of bananas and starfruit to meet neighbors, but surely there's something. And a lot of people live closer together, which means there are more people around.

When I was a kid in a subdivision there were "neighborhood block parties." A few of the walled subdivisions would get together and everyone would meet each other. Usually it was picnik/bbq style on the sidewalk or in one of the empty areas around the neighborhood. Do people still do this? I don't know. But it can be done, even without a business property nearby.

Now, this next part actually is a rant, and it's about the way things "were." It's tangentially related, but I'm going to, at least partly, argue against this "congregating at some big shopping mall away from home."

I think it's a tragedy that people had to "go somewhere" to meet people in the first place. How did we come to that? How many people actually know all of their neighbors... even know who they are or what they look like? It seems rare when I observe the general public. Imagine this: You leave a place with 1,000 people living around you, drive 15 miles or more over lifeless post-apocalypse terrain (roads they call them) and meet up at a place where everything costs 5x more than at your house. Throw a martini party in the driveway... it's cheaper. And why are we so far separated from "the places we're going."

Part of the answer is zoning. I can see not wanting to have an auto shop or a sawmill next to your house. But does every type of commercial property have to be so far away from the residential properties? These poor commuters (including bussed kids) lose 2 hours a day moving from the green zone to the blue zone and back again (Sim City reference, sorry!). You would think we could integrate those a little more.

Look at a European town and it's often much, much better. They built a lot of these places when driving 60mph from place to place was not an option. Therefore, there are walking areas, town squares, local markets, local pubs and stores, all in the vicinity of where people live.

In the US, where almost all the cities grew up with cars, we have a baking desert of asphalt connecting nodes of isolated commerce or living space. Put space for small local commerce in the middle, and build neighborhoods around it for God's sake. Build more "commercial downstairs, residential upstairs" for people who have relatively non-disruptive businesses.

Anyway, you land developers, please implement my rant before the rest of the world has to be covered in asphalt. This is a good time since people are worried about too many people in one place at one time. Thanks in advance. ;)
I never realised that things were like that in some places. I love the town I live in in Ireland, and the small village I’m from in England. I literally can’t do a 20 minute walk without stopping 3-4 times to talk to people. It’s just nice having a sense of community.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I never realised that things were like that in some places. I love the town I live in in Ireland, and the small village I’m from in England. I literally can’t do a 20 minute walk without stopping 3-4 times to talk to people. It’s just nice having a sense of community.

Yeah, there are neighborhoods, or even moreso apartments and condos, where people walk right by each other and never meet. They're cooped up inside, or staring at phones, or in a rush to drive 20 miles across the expressway to work. It's not everyone and everywhere, but there's a lot of it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

As a person from Europe who traveled to the US I was shocked by the vast distances you need to travel in the US to go grocery shopping or do anything at all. It's so ridiculous I can't believe who could have thought this was a good idea. A food desert is such a ridiculous concept it can only come from the US LOL.

I have a convenience store right across the street and several supermarkets all within a 5-minute drive or a 10-15-minute walk. This plus many other places where people hang out (swimming pools, gyms, a climbing gym, outdoor gyms, playgrounds, dog playgrounds, urban parks, bike trails, etc.). And I'm not unique. Most cities are like that. If you don't have easy access to that, what's even the point of living in a city?

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
I don't like to be negative so I deleted 90% of my rant but as I just sold my house I have enough money for over a decade[s rent payments but obviously as a landlord, income is what you look at. It's just frustrating to not be able to have privacy, solitude, and freedom. I need space, for myself, and for my business. I'm frustrated.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
As a person from Europe who traveled to the US I was shocked by the vast distances you need to travel in the US to go grocery shopping or do anything at all. It's so ridiculous I can't believe who could have thought this was a good idea. A food desert is such a ridiculous concept it can only come from the US LOL.

I have a convenience store right across the street and several supermarkets all within a 5-minute drive or a 10-15-minute walk. This plus many other places where people hang out (swimming pools, gyms, a climbing gym, outdoor gyms, playgrounds, dog playgrounds, urban parks, bike trails, etc.). And I'm not unique. Most cities are like that. If you don't have easy access to that, what's even the point of living in a city?

Not to spread conspiracy theories, but I've heard it whispered that the automotive industry sends lobbyists the associations of county commissioners to spread "sensible zoning ideas." Which is to say, putting things as far apart as possible so we can sell more cars.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
But what can be done about the "retail apocalypse?" Hear me out

I think retailers are having a hard time trying to figure out which groups need what and what’s a feasible business model to meet that need. It’s like Macy’s. A place where my mom used to buy me clothes. To me it’s a place where there is nothing I like. I don’t wanna wear a Dockers brand suit that fits me funny and makes me look like I’m being forced to go to Sunday mass. I like wearing ray bans and expensive black jackets.

Or like Sears. Where the hell im a gonna put a washer and dryer, I don’t own a house. Where am I gonna put a bunch of craftsman tools I don’t have a garage. I don’t need a pair of $60 Levi jeans that fit me like I don’t care how I look.

Trends change fast. Resource get re-allocated fast. Markets fall out of equilibrium. Resources suffer from inefficiencies. And so on.

I remember riding my bike to the mall to go to comics and stuff and gamestop to buy video games or Pokémon cards. The place would be packed and it hurts me to say those were the good old days.

But it is sad to see most big American cities turn into stinky dumpsters of traffic, high living costs, crime, low opportunity, overpopulation etc. Stagflation. People are more isolated. American culture has become toxic in a way.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I literally can’t do a 20 minute walk without stopping 3-4 times to talk to people. It’s just nice having a sense of community.

I hear great things about your banter or...Craic? is it? :rofl:

I have to visit sometime, moms parents moved from there in the 50's so I can get the citizenship via descent. Somewhere near wexford I wanted to visit...can't remember why right now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.