The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Most of those Texas towns have little going on, especially when the petroleum industry is down. If you already live close to one, then sure why not. Find something the little town needs for the business half, and live or rent out the top. If you could find something in a bigger town(let's use Waco) and buy something up before someone like the Gaines fix up an area then it would be great. Some areas just stay down for years though.
I cannot remember if it was Corpus Christi or Port Aransas that I took a boat out of around five years ago but they had exactly what you were talking about.
I dm'ed you, I actually am pretty familiar with Waco, but I don't live near there.

Corpus Christi has a great business scene with their nearby port, and same with Port A (of course).

Good places for affordable real estate, starting out on your business journey, etc. (my opinion)

There is a lot more than oil going on in these towns since they're coastal - tons of importing and exporting, commercial fishing (especially shrimp), heavy industry (somebody's gotta build it), trucking, construction, local media. I think people get the wrong idea about smallish cities, because many of them are big in their own right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow, those are beautiful. Yes I would definitely love that, but I was thinking smaller/cheaper (silly me) mostly due to my area (we don't have those Brownstones like that).

I like the commerical buildings on the old country town "main street":

View attachment 36714
Austin

Or something like this:
View attachment 36715

Galveston has some really cool storefronts like this, but they have insanely high HOA fees for some reason (despite being commerical buildings)

Yep, these are super cool.

In rural towns they are always surrounding the courthouse. Lots of little lawyer offices. Working with the courts in various counties I saw these all over Texas.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I dm'ed you, I actually am pretty familiar with Waco, but I don't live near there.

Corpus Christi has a great business scene with their nearby port, and same with Port A (of course).

Good places for affordable real estate, starting out on your business journey, etc. (my opinion)

There is a lot more than oil going on in these towns since they're coastal - tons of importing and exporting, commercial fishing (especially shrimp), heavy industry (somebody's gotta build it), trucking, construction, local media. I think people get the wrong idea about smallish cities, because many of them are big in their own right.
Absolutely those two towns have potential, which is why I named them. I'm talking about all of the small towns West/N-West of Ft. Worth and San Antonia where I had worked for the past 3 years till last year. Some of them blow up for a year or two, then die out as people move with the industry.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Traded my XR for it. So far it's the best phone I've had.
IMO the size is really great.

There’s something to it man! I’m really loving it.
Late Steve Jobs was against bigger screens - in a "Steve Job's way" of being against.
So maybe he knew something, way ahead of his times, that we discover only now.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Late Steve Jobs was against bigger screens - in a "Steve Job's way" of being against.
So maybe he knew something, way ahead of his times, that we discover only now.
I just know that it fits in my front pocket and I don't ever think about it or struggle with jamming it into a piece of clothing.

I also don't watch videos or play games on it, so it's perfect for me.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Am I the only one who would love to own and live in an old-fashioned brick downtown building?
I'm not even sure what to call them but we have them in lots of country Texas towns. Would be so awesome to have the bottom space as your business or leased to a business, and make a great loft/living area upstairs. Wonder if anyone on this forum has done that!

One of my first apartments was in a building like that, above a cheesesteak shop. I loved it. Always wanted to live above my own restaurant ever since. Only problem was, I was constantly hungry.Hahahaha. but I love the idea of just being able to go downstairs and being at my office.

In other news, I read this article about using ultrasound therapy to help people recover from comas. I'm blown away. We live in such interesting times.

That's one of my favorite blogs to read because the topics range greatly, from scientific breakthroughs, to practical marketing advice. I'd love to someday meet the guy and chat with him about how he's run this business/blog since 2004.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

One of my first apartments was in a building like that, above a cheesesteak shop. I loved it. Always wanted to live above my own restaurant ever since. Only problem was, I was constantly hungry.Hahahaha. but I love the idea of just being able to go downstairs and being at my office.

In other news, I read this article about using ultrasound therapy to help people recover from comas. I'm blown away. We live in such interesting times.

That's one of my favorite blogs to read because the topics range greatly, from scientific breakthroughs, to practical marketing advice. I'd love to someday meet the guy and chat with him about how he's run this business/blog since 2004.

BizyDad,
That's awesome. I bet that was really cool - love the nontraditional living arrangement, right there in your own building and restaurant. Super creative :)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Absolutely those two towns have potential, which is why I named them. I'm talking about all of the small towns West/N-West of Ft. Worth and San Antonia where I had worked for the past 3 years till last year. Some of them blow up for a year or two, then die out as people move with the industry.
Yeah, this does happen, especially in the town from our DM's! Lol I had a buddy who bought a camper and went out to west Texas as a welder - he was making something well above $100k per year welding a pipeline, then when the work was over, him and hundreds of others just packed up and left.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
BizyDad,
That's awesome. I bet that was really cool - love the nontraditional living arrangement, right there in your own building and restaurant. Super creative :)

I have always thought how tax efficient a lifestyle could be if one owned a hotel. Not just a junker, some place nice.

The hotel owns a few suburbans for transportation, use one. The hotel owns restaurants, eat in them. It might have a golf course, play it. The hotel has a place to sleep/live, do that too... (I understand that is a taxable personal benefit, but quantify it.)

Nearly everything you do could be considered, at some level, research. Travel, dining, etc.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I have always thought how tax efficient a lifestyle could be if one owned a hotel. Not just a junker, some place nice.

The hotel owns a few suburbans for transportation, use one. The hotel owns restaurants, eat in them. It might have a golf course, play it. The hotel has a place to sleep/live, do that too... (I understand that is a taxable personal benefit, but quantify it.)

Nearly everything you do could be considered, at some level, research. Travel, dining, etc.

When I daydream about lifestyles, I imagine owning an awesome downtown historic building with a really cool bar / restaurant at the bottom, some rented out loft apartments or hotel rooms, then occupying the best room for myself.

There are people who do this! Oh, but I would want to lease out the bar/restaurant, that is not my type of biz :p

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
pot are also awful.

What kind of pot have you been smoking? :rofl:

Eckhart Tolle & other gurus swear that if you stick to present awareness the answers will come to you (like how the name Eckhart Tolle & the idea for The Power of Now came to him in a dream), but I don't know if it's enough for me to go without passion for years in seeking that. Plus, if the answer never came I've spent years spending all my money, not being able to share my passion of entrepreneurship with those around me, and have to awkwardly move back in with my folks in my mid-late 20s

Hang in there my friend, you are far more advanced on life's journey than you think.

I'd suggest checking out Michael Singer's work, stuff changed my life and put my happiness on steroids.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
What kind of pot have you been smoking?

South Park summed up my opinion of pot nicely: 'It makes you feel good about being bored.'

There are many more interesting things to do than smoke and I see its increasing popularity as a result of people being unable to find meaningful projects to work on.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Am I the only one who would love to own and live in an old-fashioned brick downtown building?

Like brownstone buildings? Never been in one but I’ve always loved them. If I was to ever live in a city, I choose a brownstone over a high rise any day.

View attachment 36712

View attachment 36713

There is a neighborhood where I live nicknamed 'Doctors Row' where attorneys and doctors used to practice downstairs and live upstairs. I used to run over there when I lived in my prior apartment just to enjoy the view. Lots of the houses look like that. I would love to own one for commercial use simply because they are gorgeous homes that are 100+ years old.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
South Park summed up my opinion of pot nicely: 'It makes you feel good about being bored.'

There are many more interesting things to do than smoke and I see its increasing popularity as a result of people being unable to find meaningful projects to work on.
That’s interesting. One of the philosopher/educators I most adore teaches that if you fail to allow children to experience boredom you are crippling their creativity. It’s when we’re bored that we use our imagination.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
That’s interesting. One of the philosopher/educators I most adore teaches that if you fail to allow children to experience boredom you are crippling their creativity. It’s when we’re bored that we use our imagination.

I've heard that mentioned before - that many problems come from our inability to handle boredom properly.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Really enjoying this guys YouTube channel around internet privacy. Bingeworthy lol.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Any investors here have their stocks in their name rather than the brokerage's street name? How'd you do it, and why? Do you also use multiple brokerages?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Typical Sidewalker. Puts Gorilla Glue in her hair because she ran out of hairspray and now wants to SUE the company.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Typical Sidewalker. Puts Gorilla Glue in her hair because she ran out of hairspray and now wants to SUE the company.
These types of lawsuits always piss me off, much like when someone is shot and they want to sue the gun manufacturer (dafuq?)

its like a person who buys a Lamborghini and decides they’re going to jump it across the Grand Canyon. Their stupid plan doesn’t work out but they blame the company instead of the person behind the steering wheel.

Im only 25 but it seems to me our generation has little concept of personal responsibility...

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Im only 25 but it seems to me our generation has little concept of personal responsibility..

I'm 21 but I'm not even sure how much of it is generational. This woman was 40.

Most of the "Can I speak to the Manager Karens" in the world are 40+.

Whilst I think it has dramatically risen over the past decades, people of all generations always find a way to bitch and moan.

With social media, the internet, 24/7 new cycle, I think we are just more exposed to it than ever before.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Saw this... The fact that it didn’t surprise me saddened me about the state of the world.

Next up, she wins the lawsuit.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Saw this... The fact that it didn’t surprise me made me sad.

Next up, she wins the lawsuit.
We are living in the age where enough likes, follows, or retweets basically means you win, no questions asked.

If enough people like your post or retweet it, it’s almost like the law doesn’t apply to you. The jury goes in your favor. Etc. lol

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
We are living in the age where enough likes, follows, or retweets basically means you win, no questions asked.

If enough people like your post or retweet it, it’s almost like the law doesn’t apply to you. The jury goes in your favor. Etc. lol
The court of public opinion...

Watch yourself... You sound like a vIoLent teRrOriSt sCIenCe DenIyiNg coNspIraCY tHeoRISt rAcIst AnTiMaSKer grANdma KilLer iNsuRREctIoNisT

C2BFCAC9-2030-4899-BA1C-E90153D1F95E.jpeg

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Mathuin

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020

Quite inspirational from a business standpoint though. If morons are willing to give her 5 figures for being an idiot... imagine what they will give Fasterlaners who actually add value.

Also, she has now raised $20k+.

Why bother donating to some kid with a rare form of cancer when you can donate to this modern day hero?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.