The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question time: Do looks matter for success?

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Looks matter. This is just a fact of life.
It's not a boost, it's

1) In interviews, good-looking folks tend to get the job much more easier (the ultimate combo = you're a really pretty girl and the interviewer is a guy). Good-looking people tend to get scolded less by their superiors.

2) On social media / Tinder, if you're good-looking, people will contact you via private messages without you needing to do anything, and before long, bam, you're going out with the 9th new girl / guy for the week. Looks act as a black hole that sucks everyone to you without trying. No game, no money, no glib tongue needed.

3) Looks matter in sales. If there's 2 salesman and both are equally good at selling, and one is an "Igor" type (lol new word learnt today) and the other looks like those male models from men's magazines, the latter will clinch the deal.

4) Good-looking people tend to have a rosier life. In school, they're popular and that gives them the confidence without trying, and those past success in life will spur them on to become even more confident and do better.

In high school, I had this good-looking friend. He was nominated for class monitor every year, regardless of the school he's in, even though he has no leadership qualities and has multiple shortcomings personality-wise. There were tons of people better for the job, but well....

5) Go youtube and google "Connor Murphy" and look at all his social experiment videos where he pick up girls using just his body and looks. With looks, you don't even need to talk.

The best thing to do for non-lookers like myself is to just suck it up, get on with life, because life isn't fair.
If it's any consolation, look at people like Bill Gates, Ronaldinho, Jack Ma (lol), Donatella Versace etc.

Just need to work harder, that's all.

Yeah, i know Connor Murphy, he got arrested months ago ahah.
I would never ever want to be him tho.. the dude looks really dumb...

Thanks a lot for partecipating in the post and for your toughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
Short answer: no.

We’re not focused on getting hired for a job.

We’re focused on entrepreneurship and becoming self-made!

Exactly! Just wondered - we're not here to collect tips how to get a job. We're hiring!

If you mean sexual success, yes. If you mean financial success, it depends.

Honestly, I do think it's the other way round. Financial success, yes, and sexual success, it depends. Financial success, because if you're someone most people consider attractive, you can associate your business with your attractive appearance and people associate your business with positive qualities. Sexual success depends not as much on the outer appearance as people think.

Last edited:

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
I think you can be ugly as hell as long as you put yourself together well.

Lol yeah true. Average person can easily become 6/10 to 9/10 easy...

Some people can be the most good looking people if they just put themselves together. I mean hit the gym dude lose that belly, shave that toddler mustache, lose that 5 year old tank top. Spike up your hair or something, test what suits you. Just SIMPLY look after yourself.

You can see transformations like this on reddit of people who have done this..

before-after-ugly-duckling-beauty-transformation-fb7__700-png.jpg

vv6ix.jpg

Someone in this thread also mentioned something about taller and success. You can also buy special shoes to make u taller haha ;) adapt with it.

Also someone mentioned confidence. Yes CONFIDENCE is key!

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
Instinctively as animals, whether we like to admit it or not, we are more drawn to people who are attractive and obviously take care of themselves. It's primitive. Ad companies know this and take advantage of it. HOWEVER, it's more about how well you take care of yourself that leads to attractiveness. The most beautiful person in the world can be born but if they never take care of themselves, that won't last long at all.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Of course they matter... if you wanna be an actor or model or something like that.

They matter a little bit in face-to-face sales, too. Maybe in real estate, it helps to be good looking.

Everything else? Meh, not really. If you're in ecommerce, most of your customers will never even know your name.

Maybe good looks affect your outlook on life? But if that's the case, then you need to shift your locus of control.

This is a stupid thread lol

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Of course they matter... if you wanna be an actor or model or something like that.

They matter a little bit in face-to-face sales, too. Maybe in real estate, it helps to be good looking.

Everything else? Meh, not really. If you're in ecommerce, most of your customers will never even know your name.

Maybe good looks affect your outlook on life? But if that's the case, then you need to shift your locus of control.

This is a stupid thread lol
Why it's stupid?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I had childhood friends who were male models. Like very top percentile of "good looking". They have never achieved much and for them it has held them back in a huge way - I think it is a huge fear of being seen to fail at something. Highly intelligent guys too.

Your mindset is going to be 99% of what you achieve. Look at early photos of Conor McGregor covered in acme with zero style and then compare with how he looks now. His mindset got him where he is now and then that was represented in how he carries himself. Same with guys will Elon Musk.

So use what you have and don't compare yourself with others.
An excuse for one person can be something another person uses to proof their ability even more.

Bottom line - would you want the type of success that only came down to being better looking than someone else?

Zedd9165

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Dec 22, 2017
India
Maybe yes, good looks have it's own perks. People buy what they like. Take it any business majority of the public buy products for the image it holds. An image here could be a brand image or a person's value attached to that brand of product.

Yes like someone mentioned above looks help you gain attention and all the perks and people remember you and want to be around you. But trust me sometimes knowledge is something one needs. Looks + knowledge can be really helpful.

However, I noticed this that most of the successful people are good looking men and women. But not in all cases.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
The two most correlated traits with success are hard work and intelligence. If you're really good looking, but average intelligence, you're going to lose 9/10 times to the guy who's smarter than you if you're both just as motivated- For business/entrepreneurship that is. Obviously if you're good looking you'll be more likely to be offered a modelling job or something to do with selling a lifestyle type of product. Good luck trying to create the next Facebook though.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Why it's stupid?

Because you're asking the wrong question.

Instead of asking whether looks matter for success, ask how you can change yourself to improve your chances of success.

Maybe looks do matter for the path I've chosen, but I can't change my height or my skin color. But I can, say, dress a bit better. Or get a nicer hairstyle. Or pick up a skin care routine. Or spend the money on a style consultant. I could go to the gym and shed (or gain) some weight, and I could change my diet so that my skin is nicer.

These things will probably help anybody, no matter what they do or what their goals are.

So ask yourself: what do I need to change about myself to improve my chance of success?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Human beings are very visual creatures which makes us vulnerable for all kinds of misrepresentations. And people tend to trust their senses more.

Like driving high end cars and wearing designer clothes all while actually having no high net worth.

But people do generally treat you better if you dress nice and drive a nice car. Drive up to a nice restaurant in walmart clothes and a junky a$$ car and most would shake their head even if you do have a high net worth.

I personally don't care, I'm not gonna be friends with someone just because of how they look or what they drive. But there is a lesson here, other people do care and people are sensitive to how things look which is important to your marketing branding etc.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Have you ever heard the song by Bobby Bear NUMBERS? If not, give it a listen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8sf0BfM7M

When I was in the cleaning business I heard about a lady that owned another cleaning business in town. She used to dress really nice and pull up to their house in a new Cadillac. So I found out who she was and for fun, kind of kept up with her. She never had over a few girls working for her and after a few years she went out of business. That's why I always drove an older van and left the Mountaineer in the garage when on a bid. There were times I'd show up to a bid wearing knee pads.... I got every single job when I showed up wearing those knee pads. lol

99% of my workers in the cleaning business were females and as much as I would have loved to have seen all of their boobs.... I hired who was best fit for the job I was hiring for. And for me, that took a lot of self control! When a guy applies to work for me, I really have no clue if he is good looking or not.... it's really hard for me to tell about males. But I can guarantee you this.... if a female, good looking or butt ugly walked in topless..... HIRED!!!!! Oh yeah, what's you're name? :)

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Lol yeah true. Average person can easily become 6/10 to 9/10 easy...

Some people can be the most good looking people if they just put themselves together. I mean hit the gym dude lose that belly, shave that toddler mustache, lose that 5 year old tank top. Spike up your hair or something, test what suits you. Just SIMPLY look after yourself.

You can see transformations like this on reddit of people who have done this..

before-after-ugly-duckling-beauty-transformation-fb7__700-png.jpg

vv6ix.jpg

Someone in this thread also mentioned something about taller and success. You can also buy special shoes to make u taller haha ;) adapt with it.

Also someone mentioned confidence. Yes CONFIDENCE is key!

There's a Fastlane idea: 30 days to adding 3 points to your attractiveness meter ;) Or better yet, a subscription service the sends you everything to become and stay attractive.

Agreed though. TO take it even a step further from the height thing, it's possible to get a defined jawline and overall attractive face too by simply having your tongue positioned properly and breathing through your nose.

In conclusion, its possible for almost anyone to become attractive (And yes although its not a necessity, I feel it helps in life in general).

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Because you're asking the wrong question.

Instead of asking whether looks matter for success, ask how you can change yourself to improve your chances of success.

Maybe looks do matter for the path I've chosen, but I can't change my height or my skin color. But I can, say, dress a bit better. Or get a nicer hairstyle. Or pick up a skin care routine. Or spend the money on a style consultant. I could go to the gym and shed (or gain) some weight, and I could change my diet so that my skin is nicer.

These things will probably help anybody, no matter what they do or what their goals are.

So ask yourself: what do I need to change about myself to improve my chance of success?

I agree pretty much with everything, but I didn't asked for the wrong question..
I do respect your point of view...

I wanted to discuss about a topic that I tought was interesting to dig into, and I'm pretty happy that people partecipated and contributed to it and posted useful stuff to read.

Success is pretty much about learning( In my opinion), and as long as I learn something useful with a question that 'easy', I don't think it's wrong..

Last edited:

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
I had childhood friends who were male models. Like very top percentile of "good looking". They have never achieved much and for them it has held them back in a huge way - I think it is a huge fear of being seen to fail at something. Highly intelligent guys too.

Your mindset is going to be 99% of what you achieve. Look at early photos of Conor McGregor covered in acme with zero style and then compare with how he looks now. His mindset got him where he is now and then that was represented in how he carries himself. Same with guys will Elon Musk.

So use what you have and don't compare yourself with others.
An excuse for one person can be something another person uses to proof their ability even more.

Bottom line - would you want the type of success that only came down to being better looking than someone else?
Took me 5 years to learn ' Don't compare yourself with others', that's the best advice ever.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Both sides of the argument are valuable, but it depends on what outcome one is seeking, as the OP asked:
Do you guys think that being good looking is a boost for 'success'?
Or it's just 'additional value'?

Now, of course, success can be accomplished from having fastlane businesses, which is the route most of us are pursuing, while some others are seeking it solely through employment. If it is through the latter, I'll guess that it depends on the industry one is in that looks would matter, but if it is the former, as most have already mentioned, and I also agree, it really doesn't matter.

We can go the step further, as I've seen someone mentioning the Jack Ma, Bill Gates etc. phenomenon, in which neither of them may have necessarily been "good looking" according to society's standards, yet they proceeded to propel themselves beyond exceptional success, oh and guess what, when the money began rolling in, they automatically became "attractive" based on - again - society's standards.

I believe, at the end of the day, everything matters to what outcomes you want in life and utilising whichever resources you have to make it happen, because as one builds the confidence to create their own success, it no longer matters what society thinks or not, because relying on society's approval will have one permanently unsettled, since the bar is always moving.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
Yes. But so do a bunch of other things. Let's break it down.

Looks won't affect is the way consumers see the product you produced. It doesn't matter to them if you're fugly or godlike, if you make something they want/need, they'll buy (p.s. brand image)

You're really talking about looks helping you build your network, make deals, typical sales etc.

But like others have said, there are a bunch of other things you CAN change. A few on the aesthetical side:

- clothing style
- posture
- physical shape
- teeth
- skin
- hair

While these are important, I think there are some more even important factors when it comes to your persona:

- mindset
- genuinity
- wittiness
- knowledgable
- able to carry a good conversation

Work on those traits, coupled with the aethetical points you actually can change, and you'll be absolutely fine.

At the end of the day, we all gotta play the cards we've been dealt! And while someone seriously good looking may have hit the jackpot in that respect, most of the time they aren't business/entrepreneurial minded, which imo is the biggest jackpot trait of them all

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.