The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question time: Do looks matter for success?

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Hello everyone,
I wanted to create a discussion about a topic that always interested me.

Do you guys think that being good looking is a boost for 'success'?
Or it's just 'additional value'?

I personally think that depends on our concept of success, but it helps.

Good looking people is most likely to be hired, compared to an Igor type.

I kno, sounds pretty childish of a question.
But I want to know how different people thinks .

So, What do you think?

(Sorry for my english, still trying to improve it.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Short answer: no.

We’re not focused on getting hired for a job.

We’re focused on entrepreneurship and becoming self-made!

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Maybe you got the question wrong, mine was just an example.

And yeah, I know what the forum I'm visiting for almost a year is about..thank you.

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
No, I wouldn't want an employee to get distracted by a mirror.
Most likely not to hire narcisistic type?

I personally think that if we take two candidates with the same level of skill, for PR I would take the good looking one.

It's like writing good copy, it depends on what you are selling/providing, right?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Most likely not to hire narcisistic type?

I personally think that if we take two candidates with the same level of skill, for PR I would take the good looking one.

It's like writing good copy, it depends on what you are selling/providing, right?

Why are you asking this?

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Why are you asking this?

Just because lately, I see a lot of advertising, even from big brands, with just 'hot' guys/girls in the background, completely random to me.

I just want to understand better.

I never tought about me in this terms, I mean: 'I have to look like blabla to succeed'.
But I do think that I'm missing something.

Like, maybe if you strumentalize your looks you can achieve different results.

I'm sorry if it sounds dumb, I'm just here to talk.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Okay, you are missing the point of the ads. Many advertisers, still think that hot looking actors sell better than normal people.

Just because lately, I see a lot of advertising, even from big brands, with just 'hot' guys/girls in the background, completely random to me.

I just want to understand better.

I never tought about me in this terms, I mean: 'I have to look like blabla to succeed'.
But I do think that I'm missing something.

Like, maybe if you strumentalize your looks you can achieve different results.

I'm sorry if it sounds dumb, I'm just here to talk.

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Okay, you are missing the point of the ads. Many advertisers, still think that hot looking actors sell better than normal people.

So it's just about a bunch of retro advertiser and not a new wave of this garbage?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Attributes to success are things like a burning desire to learn, work ethic, timeliness, dedication, a little bit of humor, good decision making, forward thinking and an ability to keep it together when things go south.

Models are marketing medium, a sales tool. The person executing on the real opportunity hires the model to sell their product. You can look like a wildebeest, but if you solve people's problems and provide value, it won't matter. I'll take Igor, queen of execution over Nadia, queen of tardiness and dissapointment any day.

Just my .000000000002 BTC.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As much as we hate to admit it, attraction comes down to mathematics, symmetry, golden ratios, and yes, I think it helps to look your best when dealing with the public. Yet, I much rather deal with someone competent and unattractive, than someone attractive yet incompetent.

However at the end of the day, if you have something I desperately want, I'm not going to care about your looks and your finely tailored Armani suit. Sometimes appearances can have opposite reactions.

I remember when I was interviewing GC's for my house remodel. One guy pulled up in a huge brand new truck, mind you, the $100K kind. Instantly I knew the price of his bid would be through the roof and it was. I didn't hire him ... not because he was incompetent, but because his appearance implied that his price was overbid.

I examine this extensively in Unscripted , re: The Cancer Corollary.

PS: I've edited your thread title.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Depends on what you call success.

Less than a decade ago, while I was in school, I could attract any woman I wanted to based on my looks. Perfectly groomed. Pearly white teeth. Fantastic posture and build. All I had to do was stare her down, and she'd come crawling to me.

In general society, looks will get you far:
How Much Easier Is Life for Good-Looking People?

You're much more likely to get off with a warning instead of a speeding ticket...(from experience)

You're much more likely to get a high paying job....(from experience)

Over the past 3 years however, I've put my head down to work on my biz. During this phase, I basically looked homeless. Baggy eyes due to lack of sleep. Pimples due to poor diet and hygiene. Unshaven, terrible posture.

Yet...I experienced the biggest growth during this time...

I've signed the biggest contracts of my life, and it's only getting better. I've made more connections with powerful people. I've expanded my network 3 fold....I became more charismatic since I had to prove my worth.

In scripted life, great looks work. You'll be on what feels like the top of the world, and they'll stand at your feet offering you silver plates.

In unscripted , well....you get the point.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Some of the most successful people in the world are not really "lookers". Remember the cancer corollary. Being good looking is all subjective. It means different things to different people. The standards of beauty vary among nations/cultures/individuals.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Depends on what you call success.

Less than a decade ago, while I was in school, I could attract any woman I wanted to based on my looks. Perfectly groomed. Pearly white teeth. Fantastic posture and build. All I had to do was stare her down, and she'd come crawling to me.

In general society, looks will get you far:
How Much Easier Is Life for Good-Looking People?

You're much more likely to get off with a warning instead of a speeding ticket...(from experience)

You're much more likely to get a high paying job....(from experience)

Over the past 3 years however, I've put my head down to work on my biz. During this phase, I basically looked homeless. Baggy eyes due to lack of sleep. Pimples due to poor diet and hygiene. Unshaven, terrible posture.

Yet...I experienced the biggest growth during this time...

I've signed the biggest contracts of my life, and it's only getting better. I've made more connections with powerful people. I've expanded my network 3 fold....I became more charismatic since I had to prove my worth.

In scripted life, great looks work. You'll be on what feels like the top of the world, and they'll stand at your feet offering you silver plates.

In unscripted , well....you get the point.
:rofl:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Do you guys think that being good looking is a boost for 'success'? Or it's just 'additional value'?

Looks matter. This is just a fact of life.
It's not a boost, it's

1) In interviews, good-looking folks tend to get the job much more easier (the ultimate combo = you're a really pretty girl and the interviewer is a guy). Good-looking people tend to get scolded less by their superiors.

2) On social media / Tinder, if you're good-looking, people will contact you via private messages without you needing to do anything, and before long, bam, you're going out with the 9th new girl / guy for the week. Looks act as a black hole that sucks everyone to you without trying. No game, no money, no glib tongue needed.

3) Looks matter in sales. If there's 2 salesman and both are equally good at selling, and one is an "Igor" type (lol new word learnt today) and the other looks like those male models from men's magazines, the latter will clinch the deal.

4) Good-looking people tend to have a rosier life. In school, they're popular and that gives them the confidence without trying, and those past success in life will spur them on to become even more confident and do better.

In high school, I had this good-looking friend. He was nominated for class monitor every year, regardless of the school he's in, even though he has no leadership qualities and has multiple shortcomings personality-wise. There were tons of people better for the job, but well....

5) Go youtube and google "Connor Murphy" and look at all his social experiment videos where he pick up girls using just his body and looks. With looks, you don't even need to talk.

The best thing to do for non-lookers like myself is to just suck it up, get on with life, because life isn't fair.
If it's any consolation, look at people like Bill Gates, Ronaldinho, Jack Ma (lol), Donatella Versace etc.

Just need to work harder, that's all.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hello everyone,

So, What do you think?

Just make sure you are clean, neat and presentable.
Don't need to be all dolled up.

Do take a bath, stay fit and ensure you wear simple shirts and trousers that don't stink:shit:
Doesn't need $10,000 dollars or an Armani suit for that!

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Success is a relative term. And so is “good looks.”

In most instances, success doesn’t give a F*ck about good looks.

Success gives a F*ck about value, hard work, diligence and perseverance.

Success most importantly gives a F*ck about results.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
If you mean sexual success, yes. If you mean financial success, it depends. Ultimately it all comes down to your vibe whether you're attractive or unattractive. It's definitely a boost: I get looks/attraction from women all the time, but (some of them) will assume that I'm a player until I spit game and reel them in. When it comes to business, sometimes people will be negative but once you "spit game" so to speak, they see you're good to go with them. It's vibe/how you come across (body language, tonality, influence, etc).

It's funny though, I'm seen as a pretty boy, albeit not doing any metrosexual grooming/overly caring about my appearance at all haha.

Good looking women will have much more privilege then good looking men: Fact.

Albeit, I urge you to read this link:

Attractive men get less job offers because they intimidate bosses | Daily Mail Online

Good looking men (on average) will intimidate average/below average looking men when it comes to competition. Whether it's to do with women or with getting hired as seen in the above study.

However, there is a "halo effect" in psychology (look it up) that when people see a good looking person, they automatically assume that person is more trustworthy, intelligent, socially superior, etc. Therefore, being good looking can be a boost in business or (obviously modelling) for advertising.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Hello everyone,

So, What do you think?

don't hunt for good looks but for power and charisma

do you think hitler was elected thanks to his good looks ?

no , thanks to his persuasion power

do you think cult leaders are followed for their good looks ?

forget about looks and all that crap.

men are not women with all their beauty crap

go for power and a major definite purpose in life

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hello everyone,

So, What do you think?

Maybe in some cases...

But I would spend more time focusing areas where you can exert control.

Last edited:

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I think it really depends on where you're looking for success. Have you thought much about the where-how-and-why of what success means to you? There are countless examples of very successful people, both financially and in the public image, that really aren't that good looking. Some of them even made their way directly in front of millions of people. For example, have you ever seen Oprah Winfrey without her makeup on? I mean seriously, even when she was much younger she wasn't all that attractive. That didn't stop her from becoming an incredibly powerful brand and a billionaire while standing in front of a camera lens for four decades. Gabriel, stop looking for reasons why you might not find the success you're looking for. Go back and study MJ's books, take some notes, and find some good reasons to do the necessary work and then execute to reach your goals. Good luck.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
IMHO it's not looks per se that increases a success rate in ones life.

What's it then?

Confidence.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I think you can be ugly as hell as long as you put yourself together well. Idc if some dude has a big nose or whatever as long as he's not coming at me with bed head and a zip hoody that doesn't fit and hasn't been washed for 3 years with illfitting gross looking jeans and ripped up sneakers. Of course if you're a remote freelancer you can pretty much dress like that, but in person, nah. Just my..... .000000000000002 btc ;)

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
As much as we hate to admit it, attraction comes down to mathematics, symmetry, golden ratios, and yes, I think it helps to look your best when dealing with the public. Yet, I much rather deal with someone competent and unattractive, than someone attractive yet incompetent.

However at the end of the day, if you have something I desperately want, I'm not going to care about your looks and your finely tailored Armani suit. Sometimes appearances can have opposite reactions.

I remember when I was interviewing GC's for my house remodel. One guy pulled up in a huge brand new truck, mind you, the $100K kind. Instantly I knew the price of his bid would be through the roof and it was. I didn't hire him ... not because he was incompetent, but because his appearance implied that his price was overbid.

I examine this extensively in Unscripted , re: The Cancer Corollary.

PS: I've edited your thread title.

Thankyou for the edit!
Yep I got both books, and I created this psot thinking about the Ad thing and what I read..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.