The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Profit First (by Michalowicz) - Does it work?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This concept may work if you have an extremely simple business, but I would argue that this mindset of profit entitlement is not a good one.

Let's say you import product to sell on Amazon. You order $500 of product and project that you will make $200 profit if they all sell so you put $200 to your profit account and spend it on other things. What if a new competitor forces you to lower your prices and you have more returns than expected? You either cough up the money or your customers that want returns are getting screwed.

It's nice to talk about expenses as if they are easily removed and flexible. Most of the time they're not, especially in small businesses. Most of the expenses are payroll and cost of goods. These things require cash-flow planning. If you decide you can't afford product or staff once your bank account hits $0, it's way too late and your entitlement is screwing someone else over when you can't pay.

You profit last. Wishful thinking doesn't change that.

Yeah, this really does make sense. For a simple business with straight forward cash flow, it would probably work.

However, I'm thinking about my business and what it will look like once I get products into retail, this system would fall apart in a week when dealing with payments and chargebacks from distributors and stores.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What I have found when it comes to working with the banks is explaining the Profit First method that you are doing and in turn whenever it comes time for others to implement the method you

Can you please disclose your business relationship if you're going to comment like a bystander. Thank you.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you please disclose your business relationship if you're going to comment like a bystander.

If you folks from NJ who all share the same IP's don't disclose your "conflict of interest" here your posts will be removed.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
feel free to kill this thread if you want to. NOT my intention to plug this dudes book.

I don't mind a discussion about the book or the concepts, I mind when the thread is brigaded by biased parties pretending to be innocent forum bystanders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
, I mind when the thread is brigaded by biased parties pretending to be innocent forum bystanders.

Their posts have been deleted due to being prejudiced parties. If they want to add to the convo, they need to reveal their relationship first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.