The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Idea, what do you think ?

Idea threads

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
A friend of mine is a student in university and he told me that he has trouble following the classes and sleeping in general because of his noisy neighbour. He's not only annoyed by the noise but also by the vibrations caused by the sound and the poor condition of the walls. He doesn't have a lot of money and this annoying neighbour will force him to move out.
My idea was to create isolation foam that is easy to stick on walls and floors and that isolates from sound and vibrations. Targeted at young people who live in an industrial zone or that have noisy neighbours. The goal is to make a moss that helps sleep and focus for students or young people in general.
What do you think ? The foam industry has a high entry, i think i could dissociate time and money, i don't see how i wouldn't have full control, the need is here as I believe most of us can find a situation where neighbours or traffic didn't let us sleep/work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Leo Hartas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Lunatik, You are right that sound leakage in modern poor quality dwellings is huge problem. I know nothing of the foam industry but a few things jumped out about your idea. Fire risk would be the main one. The student halls I know of have to follow very strict fire control rules. Bulky materials. Anything that insulates sound is going to be bulky, so there are all the storage and transport costs. Also, it's hard to insulate against sound without insulating heat. Sticking things on walls of rented accommodation is often not allowed in rental agreements because of damaging the decoration. This product already exists as you see spikey foam stuck on walls behind You Tubers. A set of cheap ear plugs goes some way to solving the problem. Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
I definitely had/have this problem.

Since a possible solution type are earplugs.

Could you change your idea to produce better earplugs? Maybe these earplugs are more comfortable or maybe these earplugs are multi layered to block more sound.

Being an entrepreneur isn't always about creating something new, it's also about improving upon what other people call a solution, so they call your thing a better solution.

If people were buying these cheap earplugs, you can bet, they'd buy your better earplugs all other variables held constant.

lupulin

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 13, 2020
I think it's a potentially good idea. It's definitely a problem for some people. Instead of pigeonholing yourself into a corner with foam, you might be able to solve it other ways.

Could you make a better, more comfortable set of earplugs?

Maybe creating a white noise + alarm clock or white noise mobile app?

Good luck

Leo Hartas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 17, 2018
United Kingdom
I think it's a potentially good idea. It's definitely a problem for some people. Instead of pigeonholing yourself into a corner with foam, you might be able to solve it other ways.

Could you make a better, more comfortable set of earplugs?

Maybe creating a white noise + alarm clock or white noise mobile app?

Good luck
More comfortable ear plugs is the way.. When I was camping in Norway it was light all night, and the noise of birds, fellow campers snoring, etc. I would put a buff like a strap that covered both my ears and eyes. It worked quite well, but was hot and too tight. It was better than plugs that go right in the ear because they hurt and you end up listening to your heart beat thumping in your head. What about an adjustable strap that holds soft cup type ear and eye coverings in place? The straps for a head torch?

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
More comfortable ear plugs is the way.. When I was camping in Norway it was light all night, and the noise of birds, fellow campers snoring, etc. I would put a buff like a strap that covered both my ears and eyes. It worked quite well, but was hot and too tight. It was better than plugs that go right in the ear because they hurt and you end up listening to your heart beat thumping in your head. What about an adjustable strap that holds soft cup type ear and eye coverings in place? The straps for a head torch?
That's a wonderful idea, I already started analysing competitors and I see several complaints so I can improve where others have failed

MexicanCreator48

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 14, 2022
Mexico
A friend of mine is a student in university and he told me that he has trouble following the classes and sleeping in general because of his noisy neighbour. He's not only annoyed by the noise but also by the vibrations caused by the sound and the poor condition of the walls. He doesn't have a lot of money and this annoying neighbour will force him to move out.
My idea was to create isolation foam that is easy to stick on walls and floors and that isolates from sound and vibrations. Targeted at young people who live in an industrial zone or that have noisy neighbours. The goal is to make a moss that helps sleep and focus for students or young people in general.
What do you think ? The foam industry has a high entry, i think i could dissociate time and money, i don't see how i wouldn't have full control, the need is here as I believe most of us can find a situation where neighbours or traffic didn't let us sleep/work.
Sounds like a good idea, and it would be a better idea if you use the moss to make earplugs and maybe market them as a better solution than cheap earplugs.

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
why not just buy sound deadening foam?
The goal was to make foam that protects also from vibrations in addition to sound and that is easier to place in your room, however as many said, I’m gonna do earplugs as they could solve the same problem and I already found several issues in competitors that I could exploit on my product. I also came up with a name but I don’t know if it’s good, opinion on Silenzzz ?

kebman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jan 21, 2022
Oslo
I've done some (a lot of) research on this. Both because I'm incredibly sensitive to sound, and because I'm a musician, and because I'm into professional recording of stuff.

The foam already exists in several iterations, but it's expensive for a reason. This isn't a deterrent, just a fact.* If you know how to make a better foam, then go for it! But my gut feeling is that you don't know enough about audio isolation, and that you should probably do a lot more research on how to silence walls, or make studio walls, or dampening in general.

Here's a tip for you, though. Most dry walls have a gap between them. If you can fill that gap with sand (!!!!) it's probably one of the best and cheapest insulators there is. But there are several problems with sand, the most obvious one being its weight and powderyness / dustyness. You'll have to mitigate that by blending something in it to make it firm and stay in place. You know, like cement! ... The walls will do most of that for you, but you really have to know what kind of weights they can keep in, or else you risk a bag of sand bursting it out. And you don't really want to fill it with cement-like products either for the same reason, depending on the wall. But it would do the trick as far as most audio insulation goes.

Here's why it works: Because sand is porous. It depletes audio energy very quickly. Note: Depending on the thickness, it still won't cut base sounds. Their wavelengths are often longer than the wall is wide, so you can't really stop it with just a thin wall. In fact, it's better to stop it with more than one wall, if that's what you want, but now you're really entering the studio realm.

Also foam isn't everything. What you also want to research is various ways of dampening sound from the outside, say with various kinds of textiles and anechoic materials. Again we're talking about materials that kill the energy of sound by absorbing it and turning it into heat.

If you already know what I'm talking about, then I think this might just be something you could do! But if all this is new to you, then sorry mate, you've got A LOT of research ahead of you before you're product ready.

* There are two kinds of losers in this world: Those who say, "It can't be done, because it's been done before!" And then the other is "It can't be done, because it's never been done before!" Both are wrong. You either need to find your edge, or find out how. And difficult things only takes longer to solve, but they're NOT impossible!

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
I've done some (a lot of) research on this. Both because I'm incredibly sensitive to sound, and because I'm a musician, and because I'm into professional recording of stuff.

The foam already exists in several iterations, but it's expensive for a reason. This isn't a deterrent, just a fact.* If you know how to make a better foam, then go for it! But my gut feeling is that you don't know enough about audio isolation, and that you should probably do a lot more research on how to silence walls, or make studio walls, or dampening in general.

Here's a tip for you, though. Most dry walls have a gap between them. If you can fill that gap with sand (!!!!) it's probably one of the best and cheapest insulators there is. But there are several problems with sand, the most obvious one being its weight and powderyness / dustyness. You'll have to mitigate that by blending something in it to make it firm and stay in place. You know, like cement! ... The walls will do most of that for you, but you really have to know what kind of weights they can keep in, or else you risk a bag of sand bursting it out. And you don't really want to fill it with cement-like products either for the same reason, depending on the wall. But it would do the trick as far as most audio insulation goes.

Here's why it works: Because sand is porous. It depletes audio energy very quickly. Note: Depending on the thickness, it still won't cut base sounds. Their wavelengths are often longer than the wall is wide, so you can't really stop it with just a thin wall. In fact, it's better to stop it with more than one wall, if that's what you want, but now you're really entering the studio realm.

Also foam isn't everything. What you also want to research is various ways of dampening sound from the outside, say with various kinds of textiles and anechoic materials. Again we're talking about materials that kill the energy of sound by absorbing it and turning it into heat.

If you already know what I'm talking about, then I think this might just be something you could do! But if all this is new to you, then sorry mate, you've got A LOT of research ahead of you before you're product ready.

* There are two kinds of losers in this world: Those who say, "It can't be done, because it's been done before!" And then the other is "It can't be done, because it's never been done before!" Both are wrong. You either need to find your edge, or find out how. And difficult things only takes longer to solve, but they're NOT impossible!
Or skip the long winded research phase and take this guy on as a partner haha!

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022

thanks for your research, i actually changed path and went towards earplugs for sleep and focused work as it better filled the need i wanted to fill.

kebman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jan 21, 2022
Oslo
thanks for your research, i actually changed path and went towards earplugs for sleep and focused work as it better filled the need i wanted to fill.
Hey, man! Didn't mean to put you off this. IMHO it's still worth looking into. It's an incredibly interesting (and kinda quaint) field to look into.

Tech Ingredients has some very interesting videos about this topic btw:

These videos are a treasure trove of applied science and engineering, if you're interested.

Here's a few more I found just with some ez googles just now (due warning, I haven't vetted these videos yet, but they're on my watch list):

And there are ofc tons more if you search. :)

All the best!

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
Got my first earplugs today and I'll give you solid feedback you could possibly use in your value skew.

The one I got was the loop earplugs (quiet) which are recommended a lot. It works quite well at keeping sound away (Doesn't do so completely, but this might be ok for safety reasons).

What I feel could be better is for it to be remodify for sleep. It's not easy to sleep with because it easily keeps falling out when you roll over the pillow. So...

If you can modify them to allow me to sleep with them in a safe manner (so it doesn't enter my ears at night) and is safe to remove and comfortable to sleep in. I wouldn't mind paying an extra 5-10 dollars for this and probably there are others out there with the same problem, but you can validate that as well.

Best of luck!

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
Got my first earplugs today and I'll give you solid feedback you could possibly use in your value skew.

The one I got was the loop earplugs (quiet) which are recommended a lot. It works quite well at keeping sound away (Doesn't do so completely, but this might be ok for safety reasons).

What I feel could be better is for it to be remodify for sleep. It's not easy to sleep with because it easily keeps falling out when you roll over the pillow. So...

If you can modify them to allow me to sleep with them in a safe manner (so it doesn't enter my ears at night) and is safe to remove and comfortable to sleep in. I wouldn't mind paying an extra 5-10 dollars for this and probably there are others out there with the same problem, but you can validate that as well.

Best of luck!
For now the complaints I have seen on competitors' products were : not enough size variety, not suitable for side sleepers, bad packaging, bad customer service, slow shipping. Thanks for your help, I bought my website domain the other day and I'm learning web development right now. Should I learn that skill and custom code all my website or use something like WordPress ?

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
For now the complaints I have seen on competitors' products were : not enough size variety, not suitable for side sleepers
This. Exactly my problem lol, so you know it's a real validated problem. Perhaps you could ask a few people with this particular problem (maybe 5 people) if they'd pay an extra $5 for you to extend their earplugs to allow for side sleeping, and get some pre monetary validation for that. Maybe it'd be weird to ask a total stranger for money, but perhaps you could ask them to hop on a call to solve the problem to validate the problem. I'm still on this stage so these are just ideas, but be nice, be warm, then "Upsell" from there in the call.
Thanks for your help, I bought my website domain the other day and I'm learning web development right now. Should I learn that skill and custom code all my website or use something like WordPress ?
In my opinion, it's better to first get that validation then go into building a website. If you can't find at least 5 people with this problem stated in their own words that it is a problem, is it really a problem? What's the use if no one sees it as a problem they'd want to pay for and you go build it, and no one even really cared about in the first place.

You need to act to gain a sale as soon as possible and look at existing solutions to save time. Weigh your options, would it be faster to custom code which could take a lot of time when you have Wordpress that allows you to set up in a day probably? After you build the website, you then need to validate the problem in the real world, AFTER creating your offer theoretically.

From Bizydad, "There's lots of ways to generate interest in a new product. Create a web page/site to build an interest list. Run ads and see if you can build a list of emails who are so interested in what you have that they'll give you an email in order to be notified when it is ready. Better yet, create a page to offer pre-sales. Run ads to that page and see if you get credit cards. Start a kickstarter campaign."

I'd personally make it so they can purchase the product as this is stronger validation that they need what you have. Even if it's not ready yet, money talks. I could then have them sign up to an email list as fallback to alert them when the product is ready after explaining there was an error in logistics or something (while still being honest about it). And with enough validation through this page, can go on to build it in great confidence.

And to drum up interest, think again for every task you want to do...

"Is there a faster way to get to sale?"

Perhaps instead of ads or kickstarters, you can use a platform like Tok Tok to generate interest (Tok Tok has above average views per video for new creators than other platforms). I've seen someone get sales just off their first Tok Tok ad that led to them going to their home page and ordering their stuff.

Let fear be your compass for action.

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
This. Exactly my problem lol, so you know it's a real validated problem. Perhaps you could ask a few people with this particular problem (maybe 5 people) if they'd pay an extra $5 for you to extend their earplugs to allow for side sleeping, and get some pre monetary validation for that. Maybe it'd be weird to ask a total stranger for money, but perhaps you could ask them to hop on a call to solve the problem to validate the problem. I'm still on this stage so these are just ideas, but be nice, be warm, then "Upsell" from there in the call.

In my opinion, it's better to first get that validation then go into building a website. If you can't find at least 5 people with this problem stated in their own words that it is a problem, is it really a problem? What's the use if no one sees it as a problem they'd want to pay for and you go build it, and no one even really cared about in the first place.

You need to act to gain a sale as soon as possible and look at existing solutions to save time. Weigh your options, would it be faster to custom code which could take a lot of time when you have Wordpress that allows you to set up in a day probably? After you build the website, you then need to validate the problem in the real world, AFTER creating your offer theoretically.

From Bizydad, "There's lots of ways to generate interest in a new product. Create a web page/site to build an interest list. Run ads and see if you can build a list of emails who are so interested in what you have that they'll give you an email in order to be notified when it is ready. Better yet, create a page to offer pre-sales. Run ads to that page and see if you get credit cards. Start a kickstarter campaign."

I'd personally make it so they can purchase the product as this is stronger validation that they need what you have. Even if it's not ready yet, money talks. I could then have them sign up to an email list as fallback to alert them when the product is ready after explaining there was an error in logistics or something (while still being honest about it). And with enough validation through this page, can go on to build it in great confidence.

And to drum up interest, think again for every task you want to do...

"Is there a faster way to get to sale?"

Perhaps instead of ads or kickstarters, you can use a platform like Tok Tok to generate interest (Tok Tok has above average views per video for new creators than other platforms). I've seen someone get sales just off their first Tok Tok ad that led to them going to their home page and ordering their stuff.

Let fear be your compass for action.
Thanks for the advice. Wouldn’t it be best to have a prototype first ? Because I don’t know how I can sell something that doesn’t exist. Although I have to start the « false ads » (ads just to see if people are interested)

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
Thanks for the advice. Wouldn’t it be best to have a prototype first ? Because I don’t know how I can sell something that doesn’t exist. Although I have to start the « false ads » (ads just to see if people are interested)
Here are some good threads I found on validating your ideas (depending on your needs)...

Check them out, and see which approach makes sense to you and get moving on it :D

Remember, "what action will get me to the sale the fastest?"

While you could build out a prototype, some of the threads above validated their ideas without having such, and some with even less implementation through designs. And some even with just features and benefits (as is the case here where I was willing to pay you $5 if you could successfully pull it off. It was a problem I had, and there are probably other people out there that want to pay for this solution, you just need to find them and that can act as validation as well).

Last edited:

Ricardo Scotta

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Feb 15, 2022
Porto Alegre

I would definitely buy.
Because I have a neighbor who lives upstairs who seems to walk by clicking her heels.
There are days when it is impossible to work.
And you know what I think of your idea? It's very good, because a lot of people are working remotely and probably facing this kind of problem. Well, at least those who live in an apartment, like me.

Giallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 6, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm also super interested. Here in Lisbon every building has paper thin walls. I hear the neighbour's whispers.

I'd highly encourage you to build a prototype first and see if it works. It doesn't need to look fancy, just prove that the idea works. You can make it fancy later. Also check out reviews of existing products if there are, you might learn a thing or two without having to build anything yet.

The panels on the walls are a good place to start. But is it enough to block the sound? Sometimes sound travels through the structure of the building, and panels might not be enough. Through testing you can also learn how big the panels need to be to make a difference. Sound proofing panels are a thing in the office furniture space (example), but I haven't seen anyone with your target in mind.

Regarding earplugs, the shape is very important. They need to stay in place, not fall off and always be tight enough to work. Bose made some. My assumption is that people might find them uncomfortable.

Another solution to the problem could be a bed structure that protects from sounds, with thick curtains...

BradleyMatthew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 25, 2021
Maybe you should create an earbud with eye cups and find a way to blend them together.

It would be great and I think I would buy one.

Lunatik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 9, 2022
What do you think of : "Silenzzz, let Morpheus fall in your arms instead" Silenzzz is the name i thought of for my brand

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.