The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PM me

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I joined a Facebook group recently and an agency owner asked how to get his freelance graphic designer and freelance developer working together better.

5 people replied with "PM me."

I wrote a 12 bullet point reply with my learnings and tips.

I didn't ask him to PM me, I didn't even consider it. I was "post and done".

He friended me, then PM'd me, and we're in email conversation now and who knows where it may lead.

Business is all about building relationships.

Just start by listening to people, helping them, and adding value if you can. Good things start to happen...

EDIT: (I mention this later in the thread...)

You want to know what really went though my mind?

"Ooo! Ooo! I know this! I know this! (Starts writing a short note, ends up writing an essay.)"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This post did not go the way I thought it would with a title like "PM Me".

I've always hated when people are too lazy and expect you to do the work for them. It's never a good start to the relationship.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This post did not go the way I thought it would with a title like "PM Me".
Yeah... I think it's my second click-bait title. I figured it might just work...

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
WOW - again, another profound one. I agree, I often dislike when people take for granted and do the click-bait thing because they just don't want to expend the energy to put in work. Lol, I almost didn't click on "PM me" lol, but then I saw the author's name, I knew this would be worthwhile and indeed, it is, you drove that point home.

You ALWAYS say - 'become passionate with helping people get ahead' - I believe in that!

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Good on you, Andy! Sounds a lot like one of the places I worked previously.

Customers would ask for Home Owners Association (HOA) packets in addition to the fence estimate. None of the sales representatives gave the customer what they needed. "Not my job" or "I don't have time for that," they'd spout, as if telling a customer what you won't do was a badge of honor. Some customers are afraid to interface with their HOA, others just want you to do it; either way, it was an opportunity to add value and win the sale (and feel good for helping someone).

That was back before Unscripted [and maybe months into reading TMF 1-2 times]. I can't say how much looping through those books has changed my mindset and bettered my life, both financially and as an individual.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
Good on you, Andy! Sounds a lot like one of the places I worked previously.

Customers would ask for Home Owners Association (HOA) packets in addition to the fence estimate. None of the sales representatives gave the customer what they needed. "Not my job" or "I don't have time for that," they'd spout, as if telling a customer what you won't do was a badge of honor. Some customers are afraid to interface with their HOA, others just want you to do it; either way, it was an opportunity to add value and win the sale (and feel good for helping someone).

That was back before Unscripted [and maybe months into reading TMF 1-2 times]. I can't say how much looping through those books has changed my mindset and bettered my life, both financially and as an individual.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by looping through the two books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Can you elaborate on what you mean by looping through the two books?

Sure thing! PM me.

Just kidding. When I listen to audiobooks, I have two methods: I either 'loop' the audiobook, or I alternate between 2+ at the same time. Here's why:

In looping:
- the first pass is to gather the gist of the book
- the second pass is to gain a deeper understanding of the topics as a whole
- the third pass is to retain stories/examples, and
- any pass beyond this is an attempt to have an understanding in line with the writer. At this point, you should be able to know what they're about to say or the story they're going to tell. As ol' Albert says, "If you can't teach it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself."

In alternating:
- listen to an audiobook until you feel your mind drifting,
- switch to another audiobook with an unrelated subject (ex: topic 1: TMF , topic 2: Ready Player One, topic 3: Made to Stick, topic 4: Extreme Ownership),
- continue switching for however long you desire. This will help you draw up new ideas and expand your mental models for problem solving.

I hope this helps.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I always cringe at the "PM Me" messages on facebook.

I mean, I get that not everyone wants to share intimate details with strangers online but so much shared value is being left off the table when folks do that - ESPECIALLY when there's no reason to.

Referral situations make sense, or things you genuinely don't want out there for all to see but if it's general "how to" kind of stuff - well that's why the facebook group exists. Share!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I always cringe at the "PM Me" messages on facebook.

I mean, I get that not everyone wants to share intimate details with strangers online but so much shared value is being left off the table when folks do that - ESPECIALLY when there's no reason to.

Referral situations make sense, or things you genuinely don't want out there for all to see but if it's general "how to" kind of stuff - well that's why the facebook group exists. Share!
Exactly.

I wonder what goes through their minds?

PM me so I can provide a really good answer that I don't want to share with everyone else because I don't want them to get any value and I don't want to appear helpful and knowledgable.

Gosh... why do so few people PM me? Can't they tell from my short responses that I am knowledgable enough to help them?

Sales is a numbers game. I just have to ask more people to PM me...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sees opportunity to network/provide value + Provides open value up front + Gains trust = Potential Lead/Customer/Sale

Nicely done @Andy Black :praise: :clap::
Thanks @Locomote.

You want to know what really went though my mind?

"Ooo! Ooo! I know this! I know this! (Starts writing a short note, ends up writing an essay.)"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What the heck are people thinking with all the “PM me” stuff in Facebook groups?!? I’ve never tried it. Does it ever work?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.

@Jon L ... How has getting them reach out to you been working?

Ross_102

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Oct 29, 2022
Came to this thread almost by accident. Glad I've read it, thought "PM me" was the default action in such a situation. I'll know better from now on!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.