The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

People who watch "the voice" and other reality tv shit

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Or promote you.

OOF. A true curse :)

OP, I want to piggyback on my earlier comment since it wasn't really helpful.

Really, I think it's important to recognize that sometimes posting to the forum can be mindless entertainment too. For example, what did OP make this thread for? There was no question, no personal update. Mostly it was for that hit of dopamine from getting some emotions out, or at the very least to just kill some time and distract himself. Isn't that the same reason people watch mindless TV?

Just because this is an entrepreneurship forum doesn't mean that some posters aren't coming for entertainment, and I think this thread is one of those examples.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Where would we be without consumers? Bless them.

This quote of yours is what kept me smiling all during Easter lunch with the in-laws today.

Discussion was dominated by Pop-culture, Movies, addicting phone games, communism, gadgets, complaining about office drama.

I didn't say a word, and just enjoyed my mac n' cheese bake, ham, and raisin bread.

Bless them.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
I haven't watched TV in years other than occasionally at dinner if it's on while I'm eating.

The only person I care about if they completely waste all of their time is my partner because I have a difficult time respecting someone who does nothing but watch TV or play video games on their smartphone and respect is a key to a healthy relationship.

If my friends do it or family then I don't judge them, but I don't have many friends that do since they aren't usually the type I hang around. Many people do it because most people are consumers who do the bear minimum in life just to get by then spend the rest of their time being entertained while simultaneously making the entertainers wealthy.

That's how the economy works.

Saying that, TV in small moderation isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as it doesn't consume much of your daily routine. The most productive people take breaks. Working constantly you'll actually be less productive than the person who makes room for relaxing time during their day. There's actually been many scientific studies to show this to be true.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I caught up on the DailyVee reality show last night.

nichiseven

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 1, 2016
Sorry OP. I don't watch reality TV, but I'm addicted to David Attenborough documentaries. It's understandable to be frustrated but I wouldn't waste any more time on it. Hope you decided to stick around.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Where would we be without consumers? Bless them.

If the 99.99% (consumers) acted more like the 0.01% (producers), we would probably live in a world free of disease. The average life expectancy would probably exceed 120 years.

And humans would probably have colonized other solar systems by now.

So, the takeaway from this thread is to blame The Voice and other reality TV shows for the fact that we don't currently live on Mars.

Yep, lately I find myself so many times frustrated about shit not working how I want it to work.

The frustration through a painful process will act as the barrier of entry, preventing any would-be copycats from following in your footsteps (competing with you).

Last edited:

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
I used to get really worked up over people (idiots) walking around with their faces in their phones. I get the burning desire to slap the phone out of their hands and scream at them to take in real life, at a minimum at least while they are walking and driving.

How have I taught myself to get over this? Every time I see it (which is incredibly often), I say to myself "this is my competition in life". Yup, this is going to be easy. Look who I have to compete against, they don't stand a chance.

Oh, and I recently started watching The Office with my wife. One of the best lines I have ever heard was said in that show. The receptionist has a burning desire to go to art school and she thinks of all the reasons why she can't go. One of her co-workers says to her "There will always be reasons not to do something, sometimes you just need to say yes".

Office is a great show, and a good reminder of what I am running from. If you want to watch it with a critical eye, read the Ribbonfarm blog series 'The Gervais Principle'. Just google it :)

Soon2B

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 24, 2016
I can't believe how my family or others waste their time on mindless entertainment. "Have you watched the Voice yesterday!?" or I went to see Start Trek the other day. Omfg. I'm like oh yeah really? It's always some talking about this bullshit around the dinner. It pisses me off. Or my friend who buys lottery tickets. What am I gonna do? Turn my back on them? I'm tired of these sidewalking behaviors coming from my family and people in my entourage. Some of you might have the same frustrations...

That said I haven't watched tv in years, I don't understand why people do it. Maybe they need an escape.
There was this guy today at the coffee shop. Guess what he was doing? Playing Tetris on his computer...
Wtf.
Hello. I read your post and I agree and disagree . I would first like that, every human being should enjoy entertainment at some point in their day, week or year. Some people like movies, others like reading, while some like sports. I think it is perfectly human to have a bit of fun every now and then.

But what I don't like . Is when entertainment turns people in zombies. Every time you are around them, the conversations are focused on tv shows and sports. Thats when I believe it starts to become annoying and a bit worrying. But like many people before me have stated, worrying about these people means you are becoming like them because you are dedicating all your time and effort observing them (Which brings no benefit).

I wish everyone the best in this forum

Best regard
Soon2B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave510

Reversing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 16, 2014
If the 99.99% (consumers) acted more like the 0.01% (producers), we would probably live in a world free of disease. The average life expectancy would probably exceed 120 years.

And humans would probably have colonized other solar systems by now.

So, the takeaway from this thread is to blame The Voice and other reality TV shows for the fact that we don't currently live on Mars.

The producers created The Voice and other reality TV shows because it sells, so are you blaming the 0.01% (producers) for the fact that we don't currently live on Mars?

The truth is people like what they like, if they want to be lazy and helpless, they would find some other way to be lazy and helpless, even without The Voice or reality TV shows. Also, how are you going to find good employees who are willing to take a pay check if everyone is a "producer"? The fact is even Slowlaners are producers. There's just too much antagonism against Slowlaners on here sometimes.

BostonHusky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 13, 2015
The thing is, you really can't expect people to not do anything that relates to entertainment in some way. We are not robots.

I went through a period in my life where I was thinking the same way you did, but it didn't end well. I would literally shame anyone who simply watched a movie - and it ended up putting me in depression, not only because I was being a negative person towards people, but also because I was severely lacking in the distractions department.

We are human. We need to escape every once in a while. Everyone does. I personally despise reality TV as well - but if that's what people want to use to escape, sure! Do I mean that it's OK to binge watch TV for 4 hours a night? Nope! I couldn't disagree more.

But your judging people because they're excited about a Star Trek movie? Nope. I'm sorry, man, but you're approaching the topic from the wrong mindset.

By the way, HOLY S**T, did you guys see Captain America: Civil War? NERDGASM!

Christian949

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 13, 2015
So true!!

I don't even know how to use remote if you ask me.

Little background behind this:

I was brought to USA when I was 13 and my step dad did not want to have a tv in the house other than for Apple tv.

Fast forward to now, I'm 20 years old don't even know how to use a remote and have no interest in doing so. TV is a waste of time.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
OP:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. You didn't listen to my advice, or the advice of anyone here, did you?

You're still stuck in a spiral of self hatred. Depressive sloth and manic motivation. You lash out because you see in them what you see in yourself.

I couldn't agree more. I spent so much time trying to convince my friends that they should quit playing video games so much, and it actually ended up really putting a strain on my friendships with them that may be unrecoverable. That being said, I realized that the only one who really needed to stop F*cking around and playing is me.

Underrated post.

BostonHusky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 13, 2015
I couldn't agree more. I spent so much time trying to convince my friends that they should quit playing video games so much, and it actually ended up really putting a strain on my friendships with them that may be unrecoverable. That being said, I realized that the only one who really needed to stop F*cking around and playing is me.

Underrated post.

This, and what the quote in that post says.

I was the same. Love everyone. Don't judge anyone. People are inherently good.

Life is a lot more fun that way :)

BY THE WAY, NICK, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE AND NOT BASH THE LGBT COMMUNITY.

Weird coincidence. Just saying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.