The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Path to creating a digital product

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I feel you, because my parents were sort of the same - and don't get me wrong, I do love my parents too :)

I think something happens with parents when their child(ren) endavours onto the big world, they feel they need to 'protect' them, naturally of course.

The thing is that they are biased, so it might not be the same advice they would give someone else who they don't care about as much.

Keep doing what you feel is right and work on the business! My parents said the same and now they don't voice their opinion anymore. Only way to convince them is to prove them wrong.

Of course, they've promised to eat their words if I retire them early ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rhino

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 18, 2018
London
Haven't updated in a while!

The app is going well, I'm releasing a big update soon and am doing a harder launch than before. It looks much better than before. Frankly, I'm kind of embarrassed of the first version!
I've also been working on a side project, and just got my first preorder.

I keep having f*ck this moments. I took a week off from my day job and now I can't get back into it. I f*cking hate it. I know this is recommended against, but I might just quit. I am also living at my parents' house right now to avoid the extreme London rent and keep getting told not to move, speak, or make any noise. Was just told not to eat or open the fridge because it wakes them up. Total control freaks, which fine, it's their house, but when you're an adult you start to feel like a caged animal when you can't do anything.

Basically, I've had enough and f*cking f*ck this. I want out. I'd rather be free and die at 30 than live like this till 70.

Well done on the update, it’s made the app much more user friendly, all the pre-set/suggested quests are really cool! Its a really nice looking/visually pleasing app, you should be very happy with yourself

Totally in a similar boat re the living situation. I’ve just bitten the bullet and am in the process of moving out. I figured that the extra expense (extortion) of living on my own will be worth it because I will actually be able to focus on my business and not have to spend the majority of my time fielding other people’s issues.

Can’t frocking wait

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Well done on the update, it’s made the app much more user friendly, all the pre-set/suggested quests are really cool! Its a really nice looking/visually pleasing app, you should be very happy with yourself

Totally in a similar boat re the living situation. I’ve just bitten the bullet and am in the process of moving out. I figured that the extra expense (extortion) of living on my own will be worth it because I will actually be able to focus on my business and not have to spend the majority of my time fielding other people’s issues.

Can’t frocking wait

Thanks! Glad to hear it looks better.

I see you're in London too, what part? What rent amount are you looking to pay? I feel like being sick when looking at how little I can afford here.

Rhino

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 18, 2018
London
Thanks! Glad to hear it looks better.

I see you're in London too, what part? What rent amount are you looking to pay? I feel like being sick when looking at how little I can afford here.

I’m in the outskirts in surbiton, it’s not really any cheaper but it’s less busy than central which is a plus.

The average rent is around £1000 a month for a one bed flat. It is expensive, but I’m at the stage where I need to do it. For my own sanity more than anything. As much as I love them, living with my family is ruining my productivity! Where abouts in London are you based?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I’m in the outskirts in surbiton, it’s not really any cheaper but it’s less busy than central which is a plus.

The average rent is around £1000 a month for a one bed flat. It is expensive, but I’m at the stage where I need to do it. For my own sanity more than anything. As much as I love them, living with my family is ruining my productivity! Where abouts in London are you based?

Oh nice, that's near Kingston right? I went to school around there. I'm even further in the outskirts, around Hillingdon. Flats are the same price, and this isn't even a nice one-bed. I actually found some very neat flats near Ealing, tiny but perfect, but then found out they were only for students...

I love my folks too, and there are moments where I think "they're not so bad, I could spend longer here" but then they start shouting for the 50th time that day, or just hit me with the negativity as soon as they see me and it's clear I need to go.

I've even been debating moving to a cheaper country until I make it, but the hassle of moving and having to rearrange my entire life might suck all the productive energy out of me and make matters worse.

You know what's funny about London... From time to time I go on property websites and crank up the budget to £10-£20k a month just to dream about the future lol, and even the flats at that high price aren't nice. I mean they look good on the inside but when you look at the surrounding area, the view, or just the whole thing in general, it's terrible. London is truly not a place to live.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
I've even been debating moving to a cheaper country until I make it, but the hassle of moving and having to rearrange my entire life might suck all the productive energy out of me and make matters worse.

Why not moving to a cheaper city in the UK? That's still moving (which is a pain), but at least you are not moving countries. There are medium size cities, like Bristol, where the cost of renting is about half compared to London, and they are still cities with things to do.

Rhino

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 18, 2018
London
Oh nice, that's near Kingston right? I went to school around there. I'm even further in the outskirts, around Hillingdon. Flats are the same price, and this isn't even a nice one-bed. I actually found some very neat flats near Ealing, tiny but perfect, but then found out they were only for students...

I love my folks too, and there are moments where I think "they're not so bad, I could spend longer here" but then they start shouting for the 50th time that day, or just hit me with the negativity as soon as they see me and it's clear I need to go.

You know what's funny about London... From time to time I go on property websites and crank up the budget to £10-£20k a month just to dream about the future lol, and even the flats at that high price aren't nice. I mean they look good on the inside but when you look at the surrounding area, the view, or just the whole thing in general, it's terrible. London is truly not a place to live.

Yeah it’s just round the corner from Kingston so is in a pretty good location. I’m not a massive fan of London either, it’s just too busy all the time! The best thing to do is just keep looking every day and then move quickly when you do find something you like. I ended up using a company called OpenRent, they’re really good as there are no estate agent fees. Living on my own will leave me with minimal funds, but I know that I will be able to earn a whole lot more if I’m living in a stress free house.

I had the whole “I’m leaving England” debate a couple of years back and decided against it at the time. I was looking at moving to the Netherlands, ended up not doing it in the end due to a few different reasons. Ultimately I think it was probably just too big of a step at the time, I wasn’t really ready for it.

Also someone mentioned Bristol... while it is a really cool city with loads of good music/places to go out, the prices there aren’t much different to London or Brighton! And personally I think I’m past the days of partying until 4am and getting wasted on scrumpy haha!

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Yeah it’s just round the corner from Kingston so is in a pretty good location. I’m not a massive fan of London either, it’s just too busy all the time! The best thing to do is just keep looking every day and then move quickly when you do find something you like. I ended up using a company called OpenRent, they’re really good as there are no estate agent fees. Living on my own will leave me with minimal funds, but I know that I will be able to earn a whole lot more if I’m living in a stress free house.

I had the whole “I’m leaving England” debate a couple of years back and decided against it at the time. I was looking at moving to the Netherlands, ended up not doing it in the end due to a few different reasons. Ultimately I think it was probably just too big of a step at the time, I wasn’t really ready for it.

Also someone mentioned Bristol... while it is a really cool city with loads of good music/places to go out, the prices there aren’t much different to London or Brighton! And personally I think I’m past the days of partying until 4am and getting wasted on scrumpy haha!

Yeah, I think if you put your head down and work relentlessly, the focus and work you'll be able to get done on your own will be worth it. Do you work full-time/in an office job? Or remote?

The Netherlands is just as expensive as London though, right?

Funnily enough I'm in Bristol right now on a trip, lovely place but... I think I'd rather move somewhere closer to home. That way I'm still familiar with my surroundings and it's not a complete shock, but I get the privacy I want.

Rhino

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 18, 2018
London
Yeah, I think if you put your head down and work relentlessly, the focus and work you'll be able to get done on your own will be worth it. Do you work full-time/in an office job? Or remote?

The Netherlands is just as expensive as London though, right?

Funnily enough I'm in Bristol right now on a trip, lovely place but... I think I'd rather move somewhere closer to home. That way I'm still familiar with my surroundings and it's not a complete shock, but I get the privacy I want.

Yeah it’s just as expensive haha! It’s a really cool county though and I do have some friends that live out there so it wouldn’t of been so bad.

At the moment I have a part time office job that I work 3 days a week, doing digital marketing/web design/seo etc. Though it’s not far to travel there and I can work from home at least 1 day a week. Then I spend one of the other days freelancing for another company in Brighton doing the same thing but for way more money! Then the other day I try and work on my own thing, which is easier said than done in my current house.

I’m not quite where I want to be just yet. My plan is obviously to replace my 3 day a week job with a combination of more freelance consulting and then eventually my other project.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Also someone mentioned Bristol... while it is a really cool city with loads of good music/places to go out, the prices there aren’t much different to London or Brighton!

I mean rent prices, which last time I checked (around 2-3 years ago) were about 40% lower than in London. But maybe that's changed recently?

I agree that beers can be expensive haha. And food even a bit more expensive, as distribution costs are probably higher than in the capital.

Bristol was just and example (as I know it better than other cities apart from London), but any (safe) place close to London but cheaper could suit you.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Just read this thread. It is absolutely fire. Thanks so much for documenting the journey, and you sound like you are so laser focused and ready for success.

Good luck my man!

Thanks!!
I'm focused on making this app succeed. I've had some fleeting ideas for new apps but I've stayed loyal to this one because it has the most potential. I sometimes feel down that I haven't made much money yet but... to think that last year exactly at this time I was jotting down ideas for businesses, halfway through TMF ...

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I mean rent prices, which last time I checked (around 2-3 years ago) were about 40% lower than in London. But maybe that's changed recently?

Pretty much any place is cheaper to rent than London. Though for everything else I find it's quite affordable (unless you're in the city centre).

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Decided to quit my job by mid-December. It's an easy job and I make good money for the amount of work I do but it leaves me too tired and stressed to work on my app. I'm risking a lot but I can't continue like this. I don't give a shit about my boss's business and they're dropping people like flies anyway.

Let's see if I actually do it though.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Made some major updates to my app recently, going to be refining my ads today and tomorrow so I can get sales increasing again.

Past few months have been terrible for me. My mental health is so bad it's scary. I've been unproductive as F*ck. I'm already depressed and lonely, and the bad weather is making it worse. God damn it this is hell.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Not sure if it will help you but try to recall something positive about your app.
Maybe like your first Sub or the moment you ware most proud of.

Also make a brake from developing. Go to movie or coffeehouse to do something
unrelated to your biz. Watch people walking by, without any purpose
or do window shopping.

Best wishes to you on your path.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Made some major updates to my app recently, going to be refining my ads today and tomorrow so I can get sales increasing again.

Past few months have been terrible for me. My mental health is so bad it's scary. I've been unproductive as f*ck. I'm already depressed and lonely, and the bad weather is making it worse. God damn it this is hell.
Have you any feedback loops to keep your spirits up? Subscribers? Customers? Positive feedback about how you’ve helped someone?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Have you any feedback loops to keep your spirits up? Subscribers? Customers? Positive feedback about how you’ve helped someone?

Occasionally some money comes in when a user's trial ends and that makes me happy. But it's not the app that's making me depressed, it's just other things in my life that are affecting my productivity.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Making some money with the app, but it's either a few $$ below how much I'm spending on advertising (so no profit), or it equals the amount I spend. A bit demotivating. It's difficult to make effective FB ads because FB doesn't like you sounding too "personal" in your ads so users don't feel like we're directly targeting them -- especially with sensitive topics like mental health. All my ads with words like "mental health", "stress" or "you" are immediately disapproved. I know that with the right advertising I can make this successful -- but with my small budget and experience, it's difficult.

In the meanwhile, I've almost completed another app. It took me maybe 2 weeks and it'll be easier to market. I think it'll be quite a fast process churning through apps like this. If I spend a month on an app (creating, advertising) until something works, then that'll be good. I just want something to work. I hate working hard and getting nothing.

Rhino

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 18, 2018
London
Making some money with the app, but it's either a few $$ below how much I'm spending on advertising (so no profit), or it equals the amount I spend. A bit demotivating. It's difficult to make effective FB ads because FB doesn't like you sounding too "personal" in your ads so users don't feel like we're directly targeting them -- especially with sensitive topics like mental health. All my ads with words like "mental health", "stress" or "you" are immediately disapproved. I know that with the right advertising I can make this successful -- but with my small budget and experience, it's difficult.

In the meanwhile, I've almost completed another app. It took me maybe 2 weeks and it'll be easier to market. I think it'll be quite a fast process churning through apps like this. If I spend a month on an app (creating, advertising) until something works, then that'll be good. I just want something to work. I hate working hard and getting nothing.

Are you doing any other form of marketing other than paid ads? It might be worth doing some content marketing on your apps website to try and drive some extra visitors to it that way.

You need to try and make your brand an authority on mental health or anxiety. If you create enough good content then you can use this content to push people to your app. It’ll give you some good SEO benefits as well and it’ll mean you don’t have to pay so much in add costs to get people to your app

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Are you doing any other form of marketing other than paid ads? It might be worth doing some content marketing on your apps website to try and drive some extra visitors to it that way.

You need to try and make your brand an authority on mental health or anxiety. If you create enough good content then you can use this content to push people to your app. It’ll give you some good SEO benefits as well and it’ll mean you don’t have to pay so much in add costs to get people to your app

I'm cross promoting my apps, so every app links to my other ones. I used to promote my app on reddit through messaging people, reaching out on Twitter, and so on. But I found that FB ads gave the most amount of users, and were the best use of my time.

I'm still unsure on content marketing. It seems to take too much time for too little results. The hours I spend writing content could be spent improving my ads or making other apps.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Realized I need to start accepting more help for my app. I've made significant improvements in UI and features. I've learned about marketing and other non-dev aspects in this field. But I'm not an expert and I know that I am blowing money that I shouldn't be when I attempt to do things by myself -- and even worse, time. I have enough money saved up to spend on professionals, there's no use just letting it sit there.

If my attempts on marketing/promo videos/whatever look half-assed, it doesn't matter if I full-assed them. So my goals this week (and moving forward) will be spending time on things I'm best at, and delegating the things I need help with.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I've decided to pay an agency to check my code for any issues and refactor it. As I have little iOS dev experience, I know my code is quite bad in places and I'm having nightmares of my app breaking or the database f*cking up. I need peace of mind. If my goal really is millions of users, the app needs to be stable and not keep me awake from fear.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

How is the second app going?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
An update, since it's been several months!
  • App 1 is doing well. I had it refactored, paid for marketing for a month and learned a lot. I'm changing up the price structure and subscription rates have increased.
  • I released a third app and am currently marketing it - it was featured on the App Store! Though sub rate is much much lower than the first app.
  • Through releasing several apps I learned that with the first one I stumbled upon huge potential. CPC is low, lots of trials, every change brings improvement. Slow initial progress made me want to ditch it, but I think if I stick with it it'll be a success eventually.
  • I'm debating whether I should start my own design agency. Design is hilariously easy for me and the contracts are huge. But it's not really fastlane. Still, it would be better than my full time job.
I set myself a goal of making around £20k per month by July. I'm well below that! But I kind of still believe I can hit that... whether it's through apps or landing more design contracts.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
An update, since it's been several months!
  • App 1 is doing well. I had it refactored, paid for marketing for a month and learned a lot. I'm changing up the price structure and subscription rates have increased.
  • I released a third app and am currently marketing it - it was featured on the App Store! Though sub rate is much much lower than the first app.
  • Through releasing several apps I learned that with the first one I stumbled upon huge potential. CPC is low, lots of trials, every change brings improvement. Slow initial progress made me want to ditch it, but I think if I stick with it it'll be a success eventually.
  • I'm debating whether I should start my own design agency. Design is hilariously easy for me and the contracts are huge. But it's not really fastlane. Still, it would be better than my full time job.
I set myself a goal of making around £20k per month by July. I'm well below that! But I kind of still believe I can hit that... whether it's through apps or landing more design contracts.

Congratulations for doing well! £20k per month would be really awesome.

As per the design agency, if you don't like your job and are good at sales, and also have some revenue to cover your expenses, I'd say YES. Or maybe starting on the side until you can't cope with all the work + your day job and then resigning?
Also, do you mean design for mobile apps, or web design? In any case, it's as fastlane as you want it to be, you can always work on setting it on auto-pilot and you can scale it from there without much supervision. The downside is that it needs to rely on hires, in case you don't like that.

Do you track your time? How many hours per app do you reckon you have spent?

As your revenue model is subscription, do you generate content constantly, or is it just subscription to keep using the app?

Did you rely on organic downloads at the beginning, or did you use paid marketing to start with?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Congratulations for doing well! £20k per month would be really awesome.

As per the design agency, if you don't like your job and are good at sales, and also have some revenue to cover your expenses, I'd say YES. Or maybe starting on the side until you can't cope with all the work + your day job and then resigning?

Thanks! And I'm not too good with sales, but I've been very successful with Upwork. I think I can build up online design profiles (like Dribbble) to the point where work will come in. I've also found someone who can write me a good business plan which will help. I don't want it to become like back in 2017 when I failed running a web dev agency.

Also, do you mean design for mobile apps, or web design? In any case, it's as fastlane as you want it to be, you can always work on setting it on auto-pilot and you can scale it from there without much supervision. The downside is that it needs to rely on hires, in case you don't like that.

Mobile apps. On Upwork, both, but I want this agency to be just mobile apps. I found that there are none (or next to none) agencies that focus specifically on apps, or on only app design (rather than the full design + dev). I could be the "go-to" agency for that.

Having to rely on hires is my biggest doubt, I don't want to rely on anyone or turn into a manager. BUT it absolutely is better than a day job and well, I could do it until my apps overtook its profit.

Do you track your time? How many hours per app do you reckon you have spent?

As your revenue model is subscription, do you generate content constantly, or is it just subscription to keep using the app?

Did you rely on organic downloads at the beginning, or did you use paid marketing to start with?
First app, a ton. It took me probably 8 months to launch. No idea how many hours, but I worked on it daily.
Second, about 2 months.
Third, a month. Very fast because now I have a template and process.

It's just a subscription to keep using the app.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Mobile apps. On Upwork, both, but I want this agency to be just mobile apps. I found that there are none (or next to none) agencies that focus specifically on apps, or on only app design (rather than the full design + dev). I could be the "go-to" agency for that.

That's interesting. It's true that there aren't many pure mobile apps design agencies. Most agencies have in-house design, but there might be a niche there for you. What would be your ideal customer? I can think of small teams of developers trying to build an app with 0 design skills, but maybe there are other types of customer?

First app, a ton. It took me probably 8 months to launch. No idea how many hours, but I worked on it daily.
Second, about 2 months.
Third, a month. Very fast because now I have a template and process.

It's just a subscription to keep using the app.

That's very interesting indeed. One thing that puts me off of mobile apps is that their perceived value seems to be much lower compared to SaaS apps, and there is also the problem with user retention. I read that here Mobile App Pricing: What App Pricing Strategy Works Best? [+tips]

But you've probed that it's perfectly posible, and providing a subscription model helps mitigating these problems.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.