The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Path to creating a digital product

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Jesus, looking back at some of my posts, I really hate London don't I?

I need to be a bit more positive. Some tough experiences have made me very cynical and being negative just invites more negativity.

That being said, I'm still totally leaving London behind and buying a villa in Greece. I visited for the 3rd time in August and just stared from my balcony in awe for several hours every night. Paradise exists and it's in Greece. I have the exact villa bookmarked and I will buy that exact one.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hadrian

Celtic Whispers
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Jesus, looking back at some of my posts, I really hate London don't I?

I need to be a bit more positive. Some tough experiences have made me very cynical and being negative just invites more negativity.

That being said, I'm still totally leaving London behind and buying a villa in Greece. I visited for the 3rd time in August and just stared from my balcony in awe for several hours every night. Paradise exists and it's in Greece. I have the exact villa bookmarked and I will buy that exact one.

Dublin guy here! I know exactly how you feel! I've got a spot in Grand Canaria or Puerto Rico in mind once I get to your level :)

I LOVE your thread.... I'm in indie app dev. and I recently set up a guide for anyone trying to get into Apps so they dont get ripped off.... but now I'm thinking you should have set up the thread instrad of me LOL

:peace:

Last edited:

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Dublin guy here! I know exactly how you feel! I've got a spot in Grand Canaria or Puerto Rico in mind once I get to your level :)

I LOVE your thread.... I'm in indie app dev. and I recently set up a guide for anyone trying to get into Apps so they dont get ripped off.... but now I'm thinking you should have set up the thread instrad of me LOL

:peace:
Hah, the weather is quite dire here isn't it? Gran Canaria is lovely and I know a few people who have relocated there.

Nice thread! Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Been seeing a lot of videos recommended to me from YouTubers I used to watch. That and the book I'm currently reading (10x Rule) just made me realize that I'm not doing enough. Sure I got to a comfortable income level. But I'm not rich. And I'm slacking. So I will work tirelessly until I get results.

I've stopped a lot of freelance work to just focus on apps. I have money saved up so I'm fine for a long time.

I was going to hire a developer to work on my trickier app but their quote was huge, and I know if I improve my dev skills I'll never need to rely on developers again. So my plan is to grind development for a few weeks until I'm expert level (already intermediate) then work on my apps.

1. Ray Wenderlich tutorials
2. Objc.io books

I've launched the app websites and planned the social media. Now it's just going through the courses and making the apps.

Timeline:
- Finish courses (roughly 100-150 hours): June 1st
- Finish apps: July 1st
- Launch: July 15th

srodrigo

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Sep 11, 2018
if I improve my dev skills I'll never need to rely on developers again.

As a developer who likes doing the grunt work, I tend to agree. Even if your time might be best spent on designing the apps, if some of them require a huge money upfront, it might be better to improve your coding skills and put at least the bulk of the work yourself until you can afford outsourcing more.

So my plan is to grind development for a few weeks until I'm expert level (already intermediate) then work on my apps.

Not to discourage you at all with this, but moving from intermediate to expert will take more than a few weeks. That's a good thing though, it can be a fun and fulfilling journey :) I'd just measure progress in months rather than weeks.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
As a developer who likes doing the grunt work, I tend to agree. Even if your time might be best spent on designing the apps, if some of them require a huge money upfront, it might be better to improve your coding skills and put at least the bulk of the work yourself until you can afford outsourcing more.

Not to discourage you at all with this, but moving from intermediate to expert will take more than a few weeks. That's a good thing though, it can be a fun and fulfilling journey :) I'd just measure progress in months rather than weeks.
Heh, maybe more than 2 weeks. Good enough to work on my apps without it being spaghetti code at least. I know here it's recommended to just get to work, but I've done that in the past and while it works, it's a total pain going back to fix the code or hiring a developer to fix it. Or adding features because the way you coded the app makes it a nightmare to do so.

I'm definitely in the "learn how to code" camp, vs outsourcing. Though as you said, later on when you have the money, outsourcing is a good idea.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Long time no update!

I decided to hire a developer for my new app - he's amazing and much better than I hope to be in a few weeks or months. This way I can do what I'm best at (design and creative things in general), and the experts can do what they're best at. The new app (dropped one of the ideas so I could fully focus on the best one) is almost done, and will hopefully launch before Christmas. I'm excited to be collabing with some businesses and Apple, I think this app may really be successful.

Got an offer to sell one of my other apps that I don't update.

My computer broke down today just as I was praying for a release from my freelance work so I could fully focus on apps. Told my clients apologies but I have to take a few days off, booted up my old computer and now I'm working solely on apps again. Sometimes, the universe really does listen

Ovidiu Stoica

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Nov 10, 2020
Bucharest, Romania
Just read your entire thread in one go. This is amazing and really inspiring! I have been working on my first web app also and I am currently finding first users. I must admit, as a developer, marketing is uncomfortable. Other than that, I can't wait to also quit my job as soon as my app makes enough money.

Great content here! Will subscribe! Thank you for the inspiration Nikita :clap::

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Just read your entire thread in one go. This is amazing and really inspiring! I have been working on my first web app also and I am currently finding first users. I must admit, as a developer, marketing is uncomfortable. Other than that, I can't wait to also quit my job as soon as my app makes enough money.

Great content here! Will subscribe! Thank you for the inspiration Nikita :clap::

Thanks for reading the thread and glad it's inspiring you! I really dislike marketing too, it's just the one part I can't ever seem to grasp.

Good luck with your web app! I'll take a look at your progress thread :)

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
What I got was completely unexpected; @LightHouse generously talked with me for 2 straight hours...
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom