• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Path to creating a digital product

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by • nikita •, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Brendan8450

Brendan8450 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $107
    What skills did you need first?

Social media...i may kick off a stink but i do not think it holds longevity anymore.

2. • nikita •

• nikita • Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Skills for what?

About SM... I worry about this too sometimes. It’s someone else’s platform, plenty of people make a sh*t ton of money on it but if it explodes in the night there goes your income. I’d like to use it to build an audience so I have initial users.

3. Rhino

Rhino Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $164
    I agree with you to an extent. I was referencing it as a way of quickly syndicating links across the net as a means of improving your App Store position.

On its own its definitely a risk, as you’ll be putting all your eggs in one basket. But if you look at it as one spoke of a larger ‘digital marketing wheel’ then it can be an incredibly useful medium... especially if you don’t have loads to spend on paid ads initially.

4. • nikita •

• nikita • Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Last week was a bit crazy. I started a test Instagram in the travel niche to test out some growth methods. It's been about 6 days and it's grown to 700 followers. But most surprising is my engagement rate. I'm getting up to 60 comments and 1500 likes on each image. All this from seeing how people respond to the posts and optimizing post per post. Now people are messaging me asking for help :p

This has given me even more business ideas. Amazing how good growth can be if you listen to your audience!

In terms of the app, I've been sending off emails for PR to various sites, hopefully one will pick it up.

5. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Aaaand it's launched!! :praise:
    After so long, it feels really good to see my app actually live.

It's already ranking really well for some of the MAIN keywords in my niche. I assume this is because I was really thorough with ASO, and spent a long time on it. I launched it this morning so I'll need a bit longer to see stats on my iTunes Connect. I'm excited.

404profound and Drew-B like this.
  6. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    So, 2 weeks later.
    • Been gathering feedback from Reddit, Twitter, bloggers, Discord servers
    • Received some really good tips and am about to release the first update
    • Preparing for a Product Hunt launch
    • Submitting to directories, review sites, etc
    • Reaching out to at least 10 people per day with genuine conversation (much higher response rate than typical spam copy-paste emails). Need to raise this number.
    • About 2 - 5 new users per day.
    I've found that Reddit is one of the best places to find new users and get feedback. Not by posting your product to subreddits, but finding users that post to certain subreddits and messaging them. Ask them genuine questions first and end with something like "the reason I ask if because I have a product like ____ that ____ and I'm looking for feedback. Anything you could share would be amazing!" The key is starting with a question about them and their experience -- who doesn't love talking about themselves? You pick up some real friends and connections too. I've been overwhelmed with the positive feedback.

Rhino likes this.
  7. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Just got my first subscriber!

I was sitting celebrating my mum's birthday with my family, and I decide to refresh my app's stats to see how many people have signed up today. Well, 6. But also a new subscriber! After 70 sign ups.

Although it's only $5.25 profit, it really does feel like Christmas day. Someone wants my app! Someone likes it enough to pay! I've added value to someone's life. And the best feeling is that I'm actually helping someone with a problem that used to plague my life, anxiety.

Andy Black and Rhino like this.
  8. Rhino

Rep Bank:
    $164
    Congratulations! Such a good feeling to get your first sale!

How are you finding promoting it? Is there anything that’s working particularly well?

9. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Thanks! It's made my entire month!

I've found that personally contacting people who may benefit from the app works the best. I've messaged a lot of people on Reddit who may suffer from anxiety, asking them to share their story and what they think of existing apps/whether they want to try a new one. Most of the time they say they're desperate for a solution for anxiety and they'd love to try the app. I've had brilliant feedback so far!

I've also been submitting it to a lot of directories. Betabound is one of them, the owner is friendly and you can get your site up quickly. Next week I'm launching on Product Hunt which I expect to bring in a lot of new users.

Writing articles and submitting to Hacker Noon -- Hacker Noon gets a lot of readers and getting published on it is easy.

And also, Twitter ads. I find them better than FB ads for my niche, because you can target by people who have interacted with a particular hashtag or page. So you can target #mentalhealth or #anxiety. With Facebook, you can't.

10. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $158,572
    Woohoo! Well done. The first one is especially sweet.

Care to update this thread?

How do you feel especially:
    • What’s the story of your first sale?
    • How did you feel in that moment?
    • What changed from that moment onwards?
    • What has it lead to?

In hindsight:
    • What would you have done LESS of?
    • What would you have done MORE of?
    • What one piece of advice would you give someone about making that first sale?

• nikita • likes this.
  11. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Haven't updated in a while!

The app is going well, I'm releasing a big update soon and am doing a harder launch than before. It looks much better than before. Frankly, I'm kind of embarrassed of the first version!
    I've also been working on a side project, and just got my first preorder.

I keep having f*ck this moments. I took a week off from my day job and now I can't get back into it. I f*cking hate it. I know this is recommended against, but I might just quit. I am also living at my parents' house right now to avoid the extreme London rent and keep getting told not to move, speak, or make any noise. Was just told not to eat or open the fridge because it wakes them up. Total control freaks, which fine, it's their house, but when you're an adult you start to feel like a caged animal when you can't do anything.

Basically, I've had enough and f*cking f*ck this. I want out. I'd rather be free and die at 30 than live like this till 70.

Rhino, cy-, srodrigo and 1 other person like this.
  12. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Remember: If you don't feel embarrassed of your first version, you've waited for too long to release it :)

I actually did the same a few weeks ago, I left London and came back home with my parents so save money and have all the time needed for working on my projects, it just didn't make sense to stay there with such a ridiculous cost of living. I hope you'll make enough money to leave your parents' soon. Best of luck!

• nikita • likes this.
  13. cy-

cy- Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $609
    Despite not having such control heavy parents as you do, I will tell you that the BIGGEST change in the history of my company happened when I moved out. I got so much more done and for some reason it took so much more speed after that.

I haven't read all of your previous posts yet, but speaking from experience I can ONLY recommend getting out asap, even if it means you will have to live like a really poor man. I moved to 'the ghetto' (as close as it gets here in Scandinavia) and I was still much happier and more productive than at my parents.

Go for it as soon as you can afford it!

• nikita • likes this.
  14. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Definitely, I can't believe I was proud of that version! I'm happy I released it though, because version 2 is based off of people's feedback.

It's ridiculous how expensive housing is in London! Something that would buy you a large apartment in the US buys you a smelly box here. Apart from that and the weather though, I like it.

I can see it'd be worth it even to just escape the negativity. I love my parents, and I hate complaining about them in any way because considering that they raised me well it's a bit disrespectful... but the negativity and actual discouragement is never-ending. "Only geniuses make it and you're no one", "Go to university and maybe in 15 years you'll have enough money", etc. It's a contradiction considering they rebelled against their own parents and the norm back then by moving country lol.

srodrigo likes this.
  15. cy-

cy- Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $609
    I feel you, because my parents were sort of the same - and don't get me wrong, I do love my parents too :)

I think something happens with parents when their child(ren) endavours onto the big world, they feel they need to 'protect' them, naturally of course.

The thing is that they are biased, so it might not be the same advice they would give someone else who they don't care about as much.

Keep doing what you feel is right and work on the business! My parents said the same and now they don't voice their opinion anymore. Only way to convince them is to prove them wrong.

• nikita • likes this.
  16. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Of course, they've promised to eat their words if I retire them early ;)

Rhino, Mike Kaliska and cy- like this.
  17. Rhino

Rep Bank:
    $164
    Well done on the update, it’s made the app much more user friendly, all the pre-set/suggested quests are really cool! Its a really nice looking/visually pleasing app, you should be very happy with yourself

Totally in a similar boat re the living situation. I’ve just bitten the bullet and am in the process of moving out. I figured that the extra expense (extortion) of living on my own will be worth it because I will actually be able to focus on my business and not have to spend the majority of my time fielding other people’s issues.

Can’t frocking wait

• nikita • likes this.
  18. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Thanks! Glad to hear it looks better.

I see you're in London too, what part? What rent amount are you looking to pay? I feel like being sick when looking at how little I can afford here.

Rhino likes this.
  19. Rhino

Rep Bank:
    $164
    I’m in the outskirts in surbiton, it’s not really any cheaper but it’s less busy than central which is a plus.

The average rent is around £1000 a month for a one bed flat. It is expensive, but I’m at the stage where I need to do it. For my own sanity more than anything. As much as I love them, living with my family is ruining my productivity! Where abouts in London are you based?

• nikita • likes this.
  20. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Oh nice, that's near Kingston right? I went to school around there. I'm even further in the outskirts, around Hillingdon. Flats are the same price, and this isn't even a nice one-bed. I actually found some very neat flats near Ealing, tiny but perfect, but then found out they were only for students...

I love my folks too, and there are moments where I think "they're not so bad, I could spend longer here" but then they start shouting for the 50th time that day, or just hit me with the negativity as soon as they see me and it's clear I need to go.

I've even been debating moving to a cheaper country until I make it, but the hassle of moving and having to rearrange my entire life might suck all the productive energy out of me and make matters worse.

You know what's funny about London... From time to time I go on property websites and crank up the budget to £10-£20k a month just to dream about the future lol, and even the flats at that high price aren't nice. I mean they look good on the inside but when you look at the surrounding area, the view, or just the whole thing in general, it's terrible. London is truly not a place to live.

Rhino likes this.
  21. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Why not moving to a cheaper city in the UK? That's still moving (which is a pain), but at least you are not moving countries. There are medium size cities, like Bristol, where the cost of renting is about half compared to London, and they are still cities with things to do.

22. Rhino

Rep Bank:
    $164
    Yeah it’s just round the corner from Kingston so is in a pretty good location. I’m not a massive fan of London either, it’s just too busy all the time! The best thing to do is just keep looking every day and then move quickly when you do find something you like. I ended up using a company called OpenRent, they’re really good as there are no estate agent fees. Living on my own will leave me with minimal funds, but I know that I will be able to earn a whole lot more if I’m living in a stress free house.

I had the whole “I’m leaving England” debate a couple of years back and decided against it at the time. I was looking at moving to the Netherlands, ended up not doing it in the end due to a few different reasons. Ultimately I think it was probably just too big of a step at the time, I wasn’t really ready for it.

Also someone mentioned Bristol... while it is a really cool city with loads of good music/places to go out, the prices there aren’t much different to London or Brighton! And personally I think I’m past the days of partying until 4am and getting wasted on scrumpy haha!

srodrigo and • nikita • like this.
  23. • nikita •

Rep Bank:
    $1,082
    Yeah, I think if you put your head down and work relentlessly, the focus and work you'll be able to get done on your own will be worth it. Do you work full-time/in an office job? Or remote?

The Netherlands is just as expensive as London though, right?

Funnily enough I'm in Bristol right now on a trip, lovely place but... I think I'd rather move somewhere closer to home. That way I'm still familiar with my surroundings and it's not a complete shock, but I get the privacy I want.

24. Logan Powell

Logan Powell New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $57
    Just read this thread. It is absolutely fire. Thanks so much for documenting the journey, and you sound like you are so laser focused and ready for success.

Good luck my man!

• nikita • and Rhino like this.
  25. Rhino

Rep Bank:
    $164
    Yeah it’s just as expensive haha! It’s a really cool county though and I do have some friends that live out there so it wouldn’t of been so bad.

At the moment I have a part time office job that I work 3 days a week, doing digital marketing/web design/seo etc. Though it’s not far to travel there and I can work from home at least 1 day a week. Then I spend one of the other days freelancing for another company in Brighton doing the same thing but for way more money! Then the other day I try and work on my own thing, which is easier said than done in my current house.

I’m not quite where I want to be just yet. My plan is obviously to replace my 3 day a week job with a combination of more freelance consulting and then eventually my other project.