The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Overwhelmed

Anything related to matters of the mind

Robin 133

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 16, 2022
I am feeling overwhelmed. Overstretched and unproductive.

It is the busiest time of the year in my day job. Tasks are piling up. I’m traveling a lot. Things are getting forgotten. My mind is busy.

Weekends are filled up with social events.

I have set targets for my fastlane. The chaos of day-to-day life is slowing progress.

I am time-poor.

I am energy poor.

I am slacking on good habits. I have become complacent.

I must find a way out of this. There is no other option.

I skimmed through eEsentialism the other day, one of my top 5 books. It was a much-needed reminder.

I’m sharing my quick-fire action plan and some quotes from the book. Would love to hear your thoughts or advice.

Quotes from Essentialism by Greg McKeown

“Simplify. Do Less. Do It Better.”

Rule 1: We can choose how to spend our energy and time.

Rule 2: Almost everything is noise… very few things are exceptionally valuable.

Rule 3: We can’t have it all or do it all.

“Remember that if you don’t prioritize your life someone else will.”

“Essentialism is not about how to get more things done; it’s about how to get the right things done. It doesn’t mean just doing less for the sake of less either. It is about making the wisest possible investment of your time and energy in order to operate at our highest point of contribution by doing only what is essential.”

“You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.”

“What if we stopped celebrating being busy as a measurement of importance? What if instead we celebrated how much time we had spent listening, pondering, meditating, and enjoying time with the most important people in our lives?”

“Essentialists see trade-offs as an inherent part of life, not as an inherently negative part of life. Instead of asking, “What do I have to give up?” they ask, “What do I want to go big on?”

“There should be no shame in admitting to a mistake; after all, we really are only admitting that we are now wiser than we once were.”

“Sometimes what you don’t do is just as important as what you do.”

“The way of the Essentialist means living by design, not by default. Instead of making choices reactively, the Essentialist deliberately distinguishes the vital few from the trivial many, eliminates the nonessentials, and then removes obstacles so the essential things have clear, smooth passage. In other words, Essentialism is a disciplined, systematic approach for determining where our highest point of contribution lies, then making execution of those things almost effortless.”

Actions:

• Get organised - this is number one - make this simple
  • What is essential?
  • What is not essential?

Get organined
  • Work - Monday.com
  • Personal/business - Goal Sumo
  • Start every day with a routine and a plan

What is essential
  • Exercise
  • Meditation
  • Scheduling
  • Diet
  • Focus - I must follow a schedule (even if not perfect). I must do one thing at a time.
  • Getting on top of Job workload - without this, my focus on everything else cannot pinpoint.
  • Continue posting on groups and reaching out to potential clients

What is not essential?
  • Staying up late
  • YouTube
  • Trying to do everything at once
  • Looking for other productivity systems and ignoring the obvious

I’m going to batch exercise, meditation and scheduling into a morning routine. 7am -9am.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yep. Sounds like you could do less.

For starters, what if you ditched the social events at the weekend and went for walks or something? If you don't do something soon then it sounds like you might bump into yourself going the other way.

Maybe fill out your calendar and block off sections so you can see where you're unavailable, and what time you have "free".
Here's a thread I did a few years ago:

Then do NOT go filling in those free blocks. Even with "productive" things like listening to podcasts, reading books, or taking courses. Maybe just go for a walk to 45 minutes.

Hmmm... I just remembered a video message I sent to someone:

And this might help too:

Robin 133

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 16, 2022
Thanks Andy, wise words as always. Your calendar is something to aim for, love the prioritisation of family time. Video was great. I'm going for a walk....

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I am feeling overwhelmed. Overstretched and unproductive.

It is the busiest time of the year in my day job. Tasks are piling up. I’m traveling a lot. Things are getting forgotten. My mind is busy.

Weekends are filled up with social events.

I have set targets for my fastlane. The chaos of day-to-day life is slowing progress.

I am time-poor.

I am energy poor.

I am slacking on good habits. I have become complacent.

I must find a way out of this. There is no other option.

I skimmed through eEsentialism the other day, one of my top 5 books. It was a much-needed reminder.

I’m sharing my quick-fire action plan and some quotes from the book. Would love to hear your thoughts or advice.

Quotes from Essentialism by Greg McKeown

“Simplify. Do Less. Do It Better.”

Rule 1: We can choose how to spend our energy and time.

Rule 2: Almost everything is noise… very few things are exceptionally valuable.

Rule 3: We can’t have it all or do it all.

“Remember that if you don’t prioritize your life someone else will.”

“Essentialism is not about how to get more things done; it’s about how to get the right things done. It doesn’t mean just doing less for the sake of less either. It is about making the wisest possible investment of your time and energy in order to operate at our highest point of contribution by doing only what is essential.”

“You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything.”

“What if we stopped celebrating being busy as a measurement of importance? What if instead we celebrated how much time we had spent listening, pondering, meditating, and enjoying time with the most important people in our lives?”

“Essentialists see trade-offs as an inherent part of life, not as an inherently negative part of life. Instead of asking, “What do I have to give up?” they ask, “What do I want to go big on?”

“There should be no shame in admitting to a mistake; after all, we really are only admitting that we are now wiser than we once were.”

“Sometimes what you don’t do is just as important as what you do.”

“The way of the Essentialist means living by design, not by default. Instead of making choices reactively, the Essentialist deliberately distinguishes the vital few from the trivial many, eliminates the nonessentials, and then removes obstacles so the essential things have clear, smooth passage. In other words, Essentialism is a disciplined, systematic approach for determining where our highest point of contribution lies, then making execution of those things almost effortless.”

Actions:
  • Get organised - this is number one - make this simple
  • What is essential?
  • What is not essential?

Get organined
  • Work - Monday.com
  • Personal/business - Goal Sumo
  • Start every day with a routine and a plan

What is essential
  • Exercise
  • Meditation
  • Scheduling
  • Diet
  • Focus - I must follow a schedule (even if not perfect). I must do one thing at a time.
  • Getting on top of Job workload - without this, my focus on everything else cannot pinpoint.
  • Continue posting on groups and reaching out to potential clients

What is not essential?
  • Staying up late
  • YouTube
  • Trying to do everything at once
  • Looking for other productivity systems and ignoring the obvious

I’m going to batch exercise, meditation and scheduling into a morning routine. 7am -9am.
I learned the hard way too. You cannot have too many goals at one time.

We are the CEO of our own lives with a budget of 24 hours per day. If you have 7-8 departments fighting for this limited budget it is going to create huge problems.

First thing to do is to identify some departments to be entirely fired immediately.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.