The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online business opportunities / real perception of professionalism and the impostor syndrome

Levi Ackerman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2017
Italy
Hello to all,
I'm new to the forum. I've read all of MJ's books, I'm finishing "The Great Rat Race Escape ".

I wanted to create a constructive discussion on an idea that went through my head.

I live in Italy, Where to do business is very difficult due to the very high percentage of corporate taxation (72%).

I am relatively young, I am 30 years old, and I would like to contribute to the world with a website of content on specialized marketing processes/support and strategies for restaurants.

To start "small", just to test the validity of my idea without drain my wallet, I have already taken a domain and I would like to report the processes I put in place, every day, with my customers (few customers because I'm just starting out, but I wouldn't want to wait too).

I would use it as a support service for restaurateurs, but also as a personal diary to keep written all the processes I use every day and the related results.

But I have two problems:

- The first problem is the enormous competition in the sector, because the entry threshold is very low. Frankly, I think I'm better than many of those who claim to be experts. At least because I have done / am doing experience in the field and applying what I want to indicate on the site. The problem is that I risk to be perceived as "one of many" who want to give "marketing advice". And I don't want to be perceived like that.

- The second problem is the perception of professionalism. I suffer a lot from the impostor syndrome and I always think that I am not "enough", that I do not have enough knowledge to be able to share it with someone.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Furthermore, as read in @Sean Marshall post on creating a web agency, the essential thing is to create a network of clients. Which I am trying to do but on which I find it difficult.
Do you have any suggestions for creating a great network since it is now impossible to meet customers in person due to covid?

Many many thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello to all,
I'm new to the forum. I've read all of MJ's books, I'm finishing "The Great Rat Race Escape ".

I wanted to create a constructive discussion on an idea that went through my head.

I live in Italy, Where to do business is very difficult due to the very high percentage of corporate taxation (72%).

I am relatively young, I am 30 years old, and I would like to contribute to the world with a website of content on specialized marketing processes/support and strategies for restaurants.

To start "small", just to test the validity of my idea without drain my wallet, I have already taken a domain and I would like to report the processes I put in place, every day, with my customers (few customers because I'm just starting out, but I wouldn't want to wait too).

I would use it as a support service for restaurateurs, but also as a personal diary to keep written all the processes I use every day and the related results.

But I have two problems:

- The first problem is the enormous competition in the sector, because the entry threshold is very low. Frankly, I think I'm better than many of those who claim to be experts. At least because I have done / am doing experience in the field and applying what I want to indicate on the site. The problem is that I risk to be perceived as "one of many" who want to give "marketing advice". And I don't want to be perceived like that.

- The second problem is the perception of professionalism. I suffer a lot from the impostor syndrome and I always think that I am not "enough", that I do not have enough knowledge to be able to share it with someone.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Furthermore, as read in @Sean Marshall post on creating a web agency, the essential thing is to create a network of clients. Which I am trying to do but on which I find it difficult.
Do you have any suggestions for creating a great network since it is now impossible to meet customers in person due to C0VlD?

Many many thanks!
What about meeting people where they are online and showing you’re human, helpful, and knowledgeable?

What worked for me for *years* was to not bother with a blog or my own site but to help people in online communities.

You’ll soon find you repeat yourself, and then end up creating content to direct people to in the future.

You’ll know you’re doing it right when people start tagging you as The XYZ Guy/Gal.

Check out the inbound marketing/sales braindump in my signature.

Levi Ackerman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2017
Italy
What about meeting people where they are online and showing you’re human, helpful, and knowledgeable?

What worked for me for *years* was to not bother with a blog or my own site but to help people in online communities.

You’ll soon find you repeat yourself, and then end up creating content to direct people to in the future.

You’ll know you’re doing it right when people start tagging you as The XYZ Guy/Gal.

Check out the inbound marketing/sales braindump in my signature.
Thanks Andy,

How do you select "online communities"? Facebook groups or online forums?
Any other advice on where to search for fellas to help?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm starving of your answer on groups/platforms to search people to help :)
I’d start with Google. Put yourself in their shoes and search for answers to some questions. Maybe even search for forums. Find out if any forums show up. Or Quora, Medium, Reddit, etc.

Go onto Facebook and search.

Maybe check out “Who have you helped?” in my signature. And maybe also “Just Start Already”.

Levi Ackerman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2017
Italy
I’d start with Google. Put yourself in their shoes and search for answers to some questions. Maybe even search for forums. Find out if any forums show up. Or Quora, Medium, Reddit, etc.

Go onto Facebook and search.

Maybe check out “Who have you helped?” in my signature. And maybe also “Just Start Already”.

Thanks Andy.
Really. It's an absolute luck to have met you.

Can I ask you to be my mentor?
Can I describe you my idea to get some hints from you? :)

I'd like to help restaurant owners. But there are a lot of marketers that already did that.
I understand that I have to go deep with a single skill and let me be perceived as expert.
But, is there still room for an expert that wants to go deep on a single skill? In your opinion I mean

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy.
Really. It's an absolute luck to have met you.

Can I ask you to be my mentor?
Can I describe you my idea to get some hints from you? :)

I'd like to help restaurant owners. But there are a lot of marketers that already did that.
I understand that I have to go deep with a single skill and let me be perceived as expert.
But, is there still room for an expert that wants to go deep on a single skill? In your opinion I mean
Lots of mentors in the forum.

You don’t need to be an expert. You just need to help people and get paid.
And it doesn’t matter if there’s a lot of people helping a group of people. It matters whether you can find people who need help, help them, and then eventually get paid to help people.

Maybe check out the chats and podcast in my signature if you want to binge listen.

TL:DR? Just go help people and you’ll get out of your own way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.