The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! One Trick Pony

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Ok I get being focused and pushing through barriers etc...but when do you realize you are at the end and you simply have to close up shop and re-start? It's great being persistent but when does that become deluded? It can be a fine line?
Yes, and I stated that as well. The writing is usually on the wall. The intent here is to get good at something and stay focused. That can be a challenge for many.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Yes, and I stated that as well. The writing is usually on the wall. The intent here is to get good at something and stay focused. That can be a challenge for many.
Definitely a challenge for my ADD a$$!

Envious

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2017
London
Great Post! This is something I also struggle with, so many ideas come into my head that I don't know which to do first.

I guess you just focus on something when it works and drop the others if they don't?

Michael Santiago

New Contributor
Oct 12, 2017
Davis, CA
Good post and something that applies to most of us. In this day and age there is so much opportunity that it is hard to decide and stick to 'ONE' path. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. In fact, this has been studied and it is well known that humans make poorer decisions once the number of choices goes above more than 2-3.

So... pick something and stick to it!

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Sometimes I wonder if people are looking too many directions to try and figure out a path to take. Not that it isn't important to evaluate the options but, at some point the direction needs to narrow down.

Make your plans to move forward based on a carefully thought out plan that will take you where you want to go. If it isn't working... adjust... If it works... refine and move forward.
The rewards in real estate can be great -- but it also has a lot of bear traps. Sounds like you fell into a couple. BUT, you got out, you learned, and that is the important part. Apartments can be wonderful bridge to Passive Income, increasing net worth through both debt reduction and appreciation, coupled with really cool depreciation. Making it work is all in the day-to-day management, and cash controls. It's a skill set that is very rare. The development and rehab businesses can also be serious money makers, so keep those possibilities in the back of your mind for some future stud-card-deals. Remember, it's all part of the same pocket of gold. Good luck and God's speed!

Matt Hugh

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Make your plans to move forward based on a carefully thought out plan that will take you where you want to go. If it isn't working... adjust... If it works... refine and move forward.
Thanks for this post @SteveO and @MTF for pointing it out!

A reminder for me to stop thrashing around on multiple ideas and focus on building one solid plan.

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for this post @SteveO and @MTF for pointing it out!

A reminder for me to stop thrashing around on multiple ideas and focus on building one solid plan.
Thanks Matt. Keep in mind that I'm not advocating that you only work on one project at a time. Get good at something that works for you and build off of it.

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
The rewards in real estate can be great -- but it also has a lot of bear traps. Sounds like you fell into a couple. BUT, you got out, you learned, and that is the important part. Apartments can be wonderful bridge to Passive Income, increasing net worth through both debt reduction and appreciation, coupled with really cool depreciation. Making it work is all in the day-to-day management, and cash controls. It's a skill set that is very rare. The development and rehab businesses can also be serious money makers, so keep those possibilities in the back of your mind for some future stud-card-deals. Remember, it's all part of the same pocket of gold. Good luck and God's speed!
The bear traps you talk about felt like them at the time. Moving forward from that felt like being the fastest runner in the field but wearing a 50 pound vest.

I have done development and many rehabs. My opinion is that turning rehabs to build cash is the easiest way. Once you have enough cash, buy for cashflow.

Sounds like you have a nice hybrid going on. Build cashflow through rehabs.

Hugh Nivers

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
@SteveO Excellent post. Apartment investing is near the top of my list. I actually have some knowledge in the area. I also made $50K flipping a 74 unit contract to an investor at the end of 2015. I showed my valuation to the broker, who must have showed it to the investor. The investor backed out once he saw my valuation. My belief system got in my way and I bailed until now. I have a strong draw toward getting back into apartment investing.

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Bump, because it's a must read.
I started this post almost 11 years ago. It was near the beginning of this forum.

The biggest challenge that I ever faced in my entire career is chronicled in this post.

Although it solidified the original point, I felt very challenged on the validity of the assertions along the way.

There have been a number of people who have successfully changed direction. There are even some that operate a primary and secondary business successfully.

My contention is not to stick with an unsuccessful path. It is to find one with potential, build your skills, and capitalize on it.

I was shaken to my core at one point. But it turned out to be part of the learning curve.

This post is not among the most valuable on the forum. It will not help you find a direction. It will not tell you which business is the best. It is simply a statement on building skills and staying on direction.

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
I wrote a blog about this problem a couple weeks ago. Yes, the grass does look greener on the other side of the fence. READ THAT POST.
I ended it with the following:
Look Before You Leap
In short, look before you leap over that fence. Is it that much better over there than it is in your little patch? Find out why that grass appears greener. Sometimes what you’re seeing is a tall tuft of weeds growing over an old septic tank.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
Right now I am at crossroads. My field, education, has proven very challenged lately. I'm looking at a lot of new opportunities. Considering starting a 2nd. business because the one I have is not working the way I need. Even if I have focused on it 100% the last 3 years.

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Right now I am at crossroads. My field, education, has proven very challenged lately. I'm looking at a lot of new opportunities. Considering starting a 2nd. business because the one I have is not working the way I need. Even if I have focused on it 100% the last 3 years.
Before you start something new, you need to figure out what has and hasn't been working for you. I'm sure you don't want to repeat your mistakes.
Then see what parts of what you have been doing which can be applied to a new or different use. I know you don't want to throw out the baby with the dirty bath water.
You need to ask yourself IF it's possible to morph your present business and change directions, so you don't have to start over again. Starting from scratch really sucks! It's enough to stop everyone but the most courageous.
Failure is our best teacher because we analyze those events much closer. What have you learned?

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
I don't know anything about your business. 3 years with all your attention sounds like either you are not selling what people need or you are not getting it out there. Do you know why? In either case, can you start another business with the skills you have already acquired?

RayAndré

Dare to differ.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2017
Digital Nomad
My contention is not to stick with an unsuccessful path. It is to find one with potential, build your skills, and capitalize on it.
This.

Suzanne Bazemore

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 30, 2018
@SteveO, this thread is great. It really makes me think about all the skipping around in interests that I do. I think, for me, it's just an excuse not to commit.
@MTF, thanks for bumping it.

OP
OP
SteveO

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Bump for 2019.
Thanks @MTF . This post was started over 10 years ago shortly after the start of the forum. There was a BIG difference in the direction of the members back at that time. People were all over the place. This is a much more focused forum now.

It seems to me that most people are now focused on a path that leads to online stores and amazon. The world is MUCH larger than that though. Oftentimes the path to success is slapping us in the face but we don't see it.

I feel that the original premise of this post is still very relevant. But some might benefit by expanding their vision in the initial stages.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom