The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Meal A Day(OMAD)?

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I’ve been on One Meal A Day for a week now and my energy levels have already increased.

Basically got the idea from this guy
View: https://youtu.be/P3h2JSu33t0

I don’t know if you’ve guys experience this also but after I eat lunch I feel very sleepy.

After moving my meal to 3 hours before bedtime I feel awesome during the day, now I’ll admit after the 1st few days on this regime I had the worse hunger pangs and headaches but after that I felt great.

Is anyone else out there on One Meal A Day?

Just curious:
  • What do you guys eat?
  • What time do you eat?
  • How do you feel?
  • Have you lost any weight and/or gained any muscle?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Same here Man. Congrats on your progress.

Do you apply any other dieting 'tricks'? LCHF? Anything else?

I avoid sugar and carbs.

Carbs are everywhere, but when you eat peanuts it's 50-80% fat, 20-30% protein, 10% fiber and 5-15% carbs which isn't much. I would say this is the golden proportion of dieting.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I started Intermittent Fasting 3 months ago. Started out on 2 meals a day (12pm and 6pm) then after a week went OMAD and then not long after went KETO (as it made sense to stay in Ketosis rather than come in and out).

I eat around 5 or 6pm and never usually feel hungry during the day. In fact I never normally think about food at all until around 5ish. I have lost about 23-24lbs. Food wise usually chicken or pork with an omelette stuffed with onions, peppers, bacon, chilli's, mushrooms and topped with cheese then toasted under the grill. Otherwise chicken and bacon salad with avocado and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Again usually with chicken.

I have had a couple of cheat days that are killers as the weight goes on so quickly. 3 days off at Christmas cost me 8 lbs in weight (and I didn't really eat that much). It is due to water retention due to the carbs and sugar. Still demoralising though.

The benefits for me are increased mental clarity and focus. Reduced nasal congestion, more energy, and less aches and pains. All these I attribute to IF and Ketosis.

I combine the diet with daily exercise. As long as you are eating well putting on muscle is not a problem. Eating too well (i.e. having a high excess of fats) will halt or hinder your weight loss as you need to be in a state where you force your body to use stored fats for energy rather than those you have ingested. It's why I try to train late in the day, around an hour or so before I eat, so I know I am depleted of freely available fats.

Two good channels to subscribe to are:

Thomas DeLauer

Dr. Eric Berg DC

JackWood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 27, 2014
Yep I’m also OMAD and Keto. Hard to get into, and can experience Keto flu if not monitoring electrolytes but I’ve found both ways of eating go really well together. Definitely feel less sluggish and don’t experience as much brain fog

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I tried doing this (12 hours fasting) but I lose too much weight and thats not a problem for me (I am an ectomorph looking to gain weight) however I did feel with more energy and mental clarity.

Could anyone share their experience of gaining muscle mass with intermittent fasting? That would be interesting to see.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Confused every dietitian/nutritionist I've been to tells me 6 small meals a day is best

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Confused every dietitian/nutritionist I've been to tells me 6 small meals a day is best

Doctors have been quoting the BMI for decades because that is what they were taught. It doesn't make it right (BMI is a total BS by the way).

The only way you will know for sure is to test it (and for longer than a few days). There are massive benefits to fasting. One of the most striking is Autophagy (self eating). If there was a way to take damaged cells and break them down to be used as building blocks for new cell regeneration wouldn't you grab that ability with both hands? We are talking brain cells heart cells, liver, skin, literally your entire body. Autophagy is considered life extending and you get all these benefits from fasting.

A lot of people are put off fasting because they think it will be hard. They think they will feel hungry all the time. You might for a couple of days but it soon passes and before you know it you find you don't feel hungry at all.

I know when I come off fasting I feel like crap in comparison. Which is basically how I must have felt for years, and what I must have considered normal. We just don't know there is a higher state of body and mind until we experience it.

Can I ask why are you seeing a dietitian/nutritionist?

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

As I understand it, this is the worst way to eat because it perpetually spikes your insulin, which leads to the clogging of your arteries (excessive LDL) and can cause you to accumulate fat. At a caloric deficit, it will also (allegedly) lead to burning muscle as insulin stops the body from burning fat, and so the next stop after the food (small amount) and glycogen runs out is your muscle for energy.

I eat one meal a day I've been doing it for a while. I drink a cheap homemade electrolyte drink called 'snake juice' (look it up) which makes it easy to fast because it eliminates salt cravings. I mostly do it from convenience. I've lost about 15 pounds in the past month or so though which is partly because I don't always eat enough (my meals sometimes are only about 1200 calories).

That part I dont like because I'm not overweight, I went from 170lbs to (weighing myself now...) make that 153. Basically I just need to eat more. If you don't neglect that like I have been, IF is great. Two meals a day is probably ideal for meeting nutrition requirements and keeping insulin low.

I've done Keto and IMO it's extremely overrated. All that is required to be in a fat burning state is fasting. Even on keto, eating protein will spike your insulin, so it's just a matter of how often that happens. Keto dramatically limits the foods you can eat, and because it is usually accompanied by IF, usually gets all the benefits of the latter ascribed to it.

For building muscle, the four essentials you need are: 1. Adequate caloric intake, 2. Adequate protein intake 3. Sufficiently intense and repetitive weight training and 4. Sufficient rest.

If you are eating a reasonable amount of calories and protein, and you aren't spiking your insulin via A) refined sugars and/or B) constant snacking, you can over a period of time both build muscle and lose fat. I've done it. The reason people think it's impossible because they think of the two processes happening at the exact same time. They don't. Over time, however, that result will occur as caloric intake gets turned to muscle, which is retained while increasing metabolic demand and burning fat.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I tried doing this (12 hours fasting) but I lose too much weight and thats not a problem for me (I am an ectomorph looking to gain weight) however I did feel with more energy and mental clarity.

Could anyone share their experience of gaining muscle mass with intermittent fasting? That would be interesting to see.

See my post above.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Can you ensure sufficient calories intake with just one meal a day??

Easily. Either have one large meal or several small meals over, say, a two hour window. You are still fasting for 22 hours a day.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Sure! Just eat a ton. Yesterday my dinner was about 1000 calories, so if I doubled that I'd be close to the mark. It was salmon, rice and cabbage with frozen fruit for desert, and I calculated that it cost me about $3.50. Salmon is a relatively expensive protein source, though.

I'll break it down.

200g rice = $0.25
Butter = Approx $0.10
Curry powder $0.05
1/2 lb cabbage = $0.50
200 g salmon = $2.65

If you want to eat the cheapest, healthiest meals, eat similar to that but use eggs and sardines as your protein sources. Pork is cheap, followed by chicken, beef and then fancy fish like salmon. Sardines are great because the omega 3 profile is basically unrivaled, they're super cheap, high in protein and they have a long shelf life. From a bootstrapping and nutritional perspective, they're the perfect protein source. I'm still searching for a good recipe to use them in though.

Rice is the cheapest form of calories hands down. I buy it in 8 kilo bags for $10 at walmart.

For veggies, I like cruciferous because they help testosterone and they're full of good stuff. Cabbage is the cheapest I found at walmart for $0.99 / lb. Broccoli was 3X that.

Frozen fruit is the least expensive and most highly nutritious form because it is frozen at the peak of ripeness on site or close by - rather than fresh, which is picked before it ripens and ripens during transport.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
f*ck it lets do it haha I will give it a try and take baby steps, first doing 14-16 hours fasting and then moving further to OMAD

It's only difficult the first couple days. The main thing that makes it hard is salt cravings. Make this drink:

2 L water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp potassium chloride (No Salt or Salt Free products)
1/2 tsp Sodium Chloride (salt)

Drink that and you wont get cramps or feel hungry

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
It's only difficult the first couple days. The main thing that makes it hard is salt cravings. Make this drink:

2 L water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp potassium chloride (No Salt or Salt Free products)
1/2 tsp Sodium Chloride (salt)

Drink that and you wont get cramps or feel hungry
Would Gatorade accomplish the same function? And what about workouts do you recommend working out after or before the meal?

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Would Gatorade accomplish the same function? And what about workouts do you recommend working out after or before the meal?

No, Gatorade is full of sugar, and besides its 100x as expensive. Either or is fine but logistically speaking, before makes more sense, since it's in the evening.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Would Gatorade accomplish the same function?

If you look at the list of ingredients on all products they are always listed in order of quantity.

With sports and energy drinks you will see that the first is always Aqua or Water and Sucrose or Glucose (a way of disguising sugar) as the second. So they are basically just loads of sugar dissolved in water with a few other things thrown in. No wonder Red Bull is estimated to be worth $4 billion.

Red Bull Ingredients:
Water, Sucrose, Glucose, Acidifier Citric Acid, Carbon Dioxide, Taurine (0.4%), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Carbonates, Magnesium Carbonate), Caffeine (0.03%), Vitamins (Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, B6, B12), Flavourings, Colours (Caramel, Riboflavin)

Total garbage.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Last edited:

demirciler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 2, 2019
This guy came to Dr. Oz show, and it turns out he has a sleeping problem according to eating so much at night. (He can't get a full night sleep and usually sleeps 2-3 hour per night.) They also analyze his daily calorie intake. He burns 3.500 calories and takes 3.500-4000 on per day on average. That means anyone who able to burn that amount of calorie can eat whatever they want anyway. As a guy doing intermittent fasting for more than two years and I can say the 16-8 approach is optimal. Eating one meal in a day is great for managing the hunger but because your one meal will be pretty huge, you won't be able to do anything productive for couple hours or sleep well after consuming it.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
Can you ensure sufficient calories intake with just one meal a day?? I am willing to give it a try, also because just eating once per day saves you a lot of time and money hahaha.

On Rogan's podcast the 2nd is a professional boxer on an OMAD diet:

View: https://youtu.be/JxjMdqevE88

You can also check out many other folks on YouTube living OMAD as athletes.

I'm not an athlete, but I never felt better on anything than on OMAD

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
There's definitely benefits to intermittent fasting. However I won't be doing it. I burn too much physical energy in day

Usually people who are athletes follow a regimen like this. When your body is constantly burning calories, you can eat more consistently.

The reason why intermittent fasting works is because most people can eat about half the food they do and be fine. The average person eats more out of a routine than a necessity.
Sure! Just eat a ton. Yesterday my dinner was about 1000 calories, so if I doubled that I'd be close to the mark. It was salmon, rice and cabbage with frozen fruit for desert, and I calculated that it cost me about $3.50. Salmon is a relatively expensive protein source, though.

I'll break it down.

200g rice = $0.25
Butter = Approx $0.10
Curry powder $0.05
1/2 lb cabbage = $0.50
200 g salmon = $2.65

If you want to eat the cheapest, healthiest meals, eat similar to that but use eggs and sardines as your protein sources. Pork is cheap, followed by chicken, beef and then fancy fish like salmon. Sardines are great because the omega 3 profile is basically unrivaled, they're super cheap, high in protein and they have a long shelf life. From a bootstrapping and nutritional perspective, they're the perfect protein source. I'm still searching for a good recipe to use them in though.

Rice is the cheapest form of calories hands down. I buy it in 8 kilo bags for $10 at walmart.

For veggies, I like cruciferous because they help testosterone and they're full of good stuff. Cabbage is the cheapest I found at walmart for $0.99 / lb. Broccoli was 3X that.

Frozen fruit is the least expensive and most highly nutritious form because it is frozen at the peak of ripeness on site or close by - rather than fresh, which is picked before it ripens and ripens during transport.
haha this is basically my diet

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.