The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

[PROGRESS THREAD] Solving obesity in the trucking industry ... one meal at a time

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

th.ri.ll

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 23, 2021
After posting in the Ideas section, this will be where I document my journey to build a meal delivery service for Truckers.

I don’t have a process path outlined yet, but I’m hoping to do some research and build one out in next couple weeks.

As the first step in the process I posted a soft proof validation post in the r/truckers subreddit after seeing many posts asking how to stay healthy on the road.

I’ll give it 3-5 days and see what the responses are and update you all!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011

CharlesFinley

New Contributor
Nov 7, 2021
What do you think about a meal prep service targeting truckers rather than a meal delivery? Most of them should have a fridge and microwave in the cab, right? You can rent out a commercial kitchen, or even contract a kitchen from a restaurant at a major truck stop, and sell 10-15 meals at a time.

th.ri.ll

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 23, 2021
What do you think about a meal prep service targeting truckers rather than a meal delivery? Most of them should have a fridge and microwave in the cab, right? You can rent out a commercial kitchen, or even contract a kitchen from a restaurant at a major truck stop, and sell 10-15 meals at a time.

The thing is that if you want this biz to be scalable you have to be able to deliver the meals nationwide.

I think what I’ll most likely end up doing renting out a commercial kitchen whenever I need to make the food and then deliver them in a cold box, then the truckers can just put them into their fridge and store from there.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

th.ri.ll

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 23, 2021
UPDATE 1/10/22:

I don't think Reddit is showing my post to anymore people in the r/truckers sub-reddit, so I'll end my soft proof validation experiment and share results. in the next paragraph, I'll analyze the post's likes and such like I'm running an ad, so it'll give me a guesstimate of how my marketing campaigns could turn out.

I'm 100% sure reddit upvotes aren't the best indicator of interest, but this is a good start:
- 17 upvotes expressing interest
- 8 comments (5 with a hard yes, 3 with objections/suggestions)
- 3 Email Sign Ups (I messaged the 5 people who said yes yesterday asking if I could get them on a list, it's still early so I'll give the other ones some time)

Again, Social Media PPC Ads are a whole other beast, but If I decide to go that route I think I can expect 15-20% of people who see my ad to click on it, or like it. Roughly half of that 15-20% will browse my website, and half of those that browse my website will sign up.

Here are some objections I got:
-
There are things like SkipTheDishes, UberEats, Grubhub, etc that can deliver food from restaurants to drivers, but also some comments expressed that if you're ordering from these services frequently it can get expensive. We all have had that experience where a $10 meal ordered through a delivery service can turn into a $40 one
- Also, these are still meals from restaurants and fast food places. They're not healthy. If drivers want a healthy meal, it'll most likely come from a restaurant which is more on the expensive side. My service will provide convenient, healthy meals at an affordable price, and without un-necessary fees.

Action Items:
  • Envision the ordering experience from the side of the driver. When they go to my website, what will they see? How do they order meals? What options do I give them? How is it going to get delivered to them?
  • Create a brand. Brainstorm some names, copy, USP's, imagery etc. I want this to be a niche delivery service towards the trucking industry, which will be a value skew in of itself. So I will have everything centered around that as a differentiator.
  • I'm not going to be using a co - packer in the initial stages, so I'll need to find some suppliers that can provide shelf - sustainable packaging materials for pre-packaged meals. This way, I can rent out a commercial kitchen and package everything myself or with the help of a few friends.
  • Develop a marketing plan. Doesn't necessarily have to involve ads, but it probably will. I'm thinking Ads + incentivizing drivers to refer other drivers somehow + going out to Truckstops and finding a way to advertise in person without getting kicked out lol
I know that was a long write up, but I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions to help me along this journey. I'm just happy I confirmed some demand and got a couple sign ups.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore