The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nootropics? Anyone familiar with them?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Did you notice any major changes by doing this?
I'm not sure how to describe it without it sounding like a huge cliche.
You know how you feel when you eat too much food and/or drink too many sodas, to the point that you regret it?
I felt the opposite of that all the time. Like I was always ready at any moment to just sprint for no reason.
And when you do finally taste a soda after that long, it tastes like you are chugging maple syrup.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Can you provide links to the scientific research that proves carbs are the preferred energy source? Based on what I've read, you can live your entire life without carbs.
Well, carbs being the body's preferred source is as true as protein being the building blocks of muscle, it's just a scientific fact, nobody debates it... and by preferred I mean natural and the one that body is made to use (even the paleo community knows that, at least people who know what they're talking about)...

The thing is...

• When you don't give carbs to your body, then your body adapts to using fats instead of carbs...

And the question is (which i think would answer you better than the question you already asked)...

• Does the body function optimally and as good as with carbs (or even better), once it switches to using fats instead of carbs?

Now, that's where the disagreement is. I personally am a fan of Paleo, which i did before, but i feel pretty good eating carbs too, plus i find it makes my social life and life in general more practical and simple, so i'm not doing paleo anymore.

I don't know what to tell you about carbs vs. fat... i guess people gotta try them and see what works for them, and what they're willing to compromise

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Well, carbs being the body's preferred source is as true as protein being the building blocks of muscle
From what I read about protein is that if you neglect it in your diet, the small muscle tissue deteriorate to the point that it can kill you.
Apparently this has been a major health concern for people that are vegan for more than a year.

i find it makes my social life and life in general more practical and simple
people gotta try them and see what works for them, and what they're willing to compromise
100% agree. I'm not eating Paleo even though I tried it for a couple months. I'm just so bad at cooking that I couldn't take it anymore.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
From what I read about protein is that if you neglect it in your diet, the small muscle tissue deteriorate to the point that it can kill you.
Yep, that might be true... but let's just say that it's very hard to eat so little protein that has any chance of happening ;) I think even people would a horrible diet still manage to get enough protein not to have to worry about that

On a different but related note... protein is by far the most difficult macro-nutrient for me to get enough of during the day. I really gotta make sure to hit my daily target

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
I take L-Theanine (200mg) everyday as well as 2 doses of 200mg Caffeine. I recently attained modafinil im a big fan, its like slight motivation mixed with intense focus. Anyways these all help but on top of this is also make a green smoothie and eat a salad every day. And take omega 3 fish oil and a multi vitamin. Diet is the most important part. load up on kale, swiss chard, spinnach, broccoli, collard greens, carrots, beets etc. I read a book called the ultramind solution by Mark Hyman(highly reccomend)

Do you find that the l-theanine takes the edge off the caffeine? I know a few people that do this stack and am thinking about it myself since I don't like coffee.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Yep, that might be true... but let's just say that it's very hard to eat so little protein that has any chance of happening ;) I think even people would a horrible diet still manage to get enough protein not to have to worry about that

You'd be surprised that most food people with bad diets each contain less than 3g of protein per serving. Protein in foods can be destroyed so easily, for example cooking it kills protein. Hence why protein shakes (good pure stuff) is great. You can get dodgey protein powder which hasn't been manufactured right and the protein has just been lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
It probably doesnt work for me cause I dont beleive in it. Carbs are your bodies preffered energy source. Low carb is just a fad with no science to back it up.
Carbs as the final pathway for metabolism: Yes

However, fat and protein can provide that skeleton just fine.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Glad someone said it.

Probably a bit too rapid a response on my part. LOL. My more reasoned response is above. ;)

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
You'd be surprised that most food people with bad diets each contain less than 3g of protein per serving. Protein in foods can be destroyed so easily, for example cooking it kills protein. Hence why protein shakes (good pure stuff) is great. You can get dodgey protein powder which hasn't been manufactured right and the protein has just been lost.

Yeah that would be insane. I really don't know how many people get that little protein, so it's interesting to hear.

However, the whole "heat destroys protein thing" is overblown, or else you'd see people dying from malnutrition since most people eat cooked foods. When I eat a broiled chicken, or a steak, or fish, or eggs, i'm pretty sure i'm getting a whole lot of protein. Maybe "some" of it is lost due to cooking... but it would represent a small enough percentage that you would still get most of the protein in your source.

Now I agree with you about the dodgeiness of some protein sources, supplements or pre-packaged foods :) My point above was concerning unprocessed foods.

EDIT: Also, i'm not talking about "overcooking" too, which can have bad health effects other than the loss of nutrients.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
This is a little off-topic, but it seems like everyone has ventured off into different health related stuff...

Has anyone ever had a blood test for food sensitivities or nutrient deficiencies and used a new diet or supplements to remedy these sensitivities or deficiencies?

This is something I'd really to like to look into when I have some extra cash.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Yeah that would be insane. I really don't know how many people get that little protein, so it's interesting to hear.

However, the whole "heat destroys protein thing" is overblown, or else you'd see people dying from malnutrition since most people eat cooked foods. When I eat a broiled chicken, or a steak, or fish, or eggs, i'm pretty sure i'm getting a whole lot of protein. Maybe "some" of it is lost due to cooking... but it would represent a small enough percentage that you would still get most of the protein in your source.

Now I agree with you about the dodgeiness of some protein sources, supplements or pre-packaged foods :) My point above was concerning unprocessed foods.

EDIT: Also, i'm not talking about "overcooking" too, which can have bad health effects other than the loss of nutrients.

Put protein powder into boiling water, then put powder into cold water and test which has more protein nutrients.

It's a nutritional fact. If you want to argue with facts then go ahead I'll be somewhere else focusing. Why you think everyone would die from malnutrition I have no idea.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Put protein powder into boiling water, then put powder into cold water and test which has more protein nutrients.

It's a nutritional fact. If you want to argue with facts then go ahead I'll be somewhere else focusing. Why you think everyone would die from malnutrition I have no idea.

Mmm... someone is not able to have a conversation :cookoo: No need to take it personally, it's not like you invented food

And why the hell would I put protein powder in boiling water? What kind of example is that?

Oh... Put Raw oatmeal into boiling water, then put raw oatmeal into cold water... Eating the first one will get you a nice oatmeal, eating the second will make you shit blood... what's the point?

Cooking tomatoes increases Lycopene in them.

Eat raw chicken and you can die.

It depends on the food, the time it is cooked, the temperature it is cooked at. Cooking can make the food lose some nutrients, but at the same time make them more bio-available and easier to digest, or just plain edible.

I hate when people take other people's point so much to heart on a subject they're not involved in (an actual scientist, dietitian, etc... could have reacted your way, and it would still be only borderline acceptable as a means of conversation)... what an immature way to respond

P.S.: You might need to get a dictionary and look up the word "overblown" which I used in my other post. Overblown=exaggerated which does not mean "not true"

Last edited:

KDurg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 3, 2014
@AllenCrawley try to add just a little bit of butter in that Bulletproof coffee.. Totally worth it and it supposedly extends the length of the effects from the caffeine.

Now, @Lathen, I will try to answer your question rather than bringing out a dictionary on what a "drug" is. I have used many cognitive enhancers. There are tons of different ones out there, and Reddit has a very in depth section dedicated to Nootropics. I would suggest starting there for more information on which ones to start with and dosing. Before you get crazy though, do understand that Nootropics can help to "clear the fog". I tend to be a procrastinator but I have a little extra clarity to do what I need to do when supplementing with Nootropics.

I have been an avid user of Alpha Brain by Onnit, which I swear by. Again, you wont get mind expanding potential like something out of Limitless, but you will get that extra mental clarity (and some wicked dreams, just search Joe Rogan Alpha Brain Dream". I have also used a Piracetam and Beta Choline mix that works really well with Caffeine, but can make you feel almost like you took Adderall if you take too much.

I say give them a try. They aren't a substitute for action, but they can help to make your action a little more "mindless".
A link to the Reddit Group: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@AllenCrawley try to add just a little bit of butter in that Bulletproof coffee.. Totally worth it and it supposedly extends the length of the effects from the caffeine.
It's just not bulletproof coffee without the butter (from grass fed cows). ;)

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Mmm... someone is not able to have a conversation :cookoo: No need to take it personally, it's not like you invented food

And why the hell would I put protein powder in boiling water? What kind of example is that?

Oh... Put Raw oatmeal into boiling water, then put raw oatmeal into cold water... Eating the first one will get you a nice oatmeal, eating the second will make you shit blood... what's the point?

Cooking tomatoes increases Lycopene in them.

Eat raw chicken and you can die.

It depends on the food, the time it is cooked, the temperature it is cooked at. Cooking can make the food lose some nutrients, but at the same time make them more bio-available and easier to digest, or just plain edible.

I hate when people take other people's point so much to heart on a subject they're not involved in (an actual scientist, dietitian, etc... could have reacted your way, and it would still be only borderline acceptable as a means of conversation)... what an immature way to respond

P.S.: You might need to get a dictionary and look up the word "overblown" which I used in my other post. Overblown=exaggerated which does not mean "not true"

Google search: Protein Coffee.

Nice to see you put some time into that post :)

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
After reading about Modafinil on a blog I frequent, I tried to get my hands on some... unfortunately, most suppliers won't ship it to Canada and my re-routing idea got my product pinched at the border. Oh well!

I found out after this that Adrafinil was created and used prior to Modafinil for narcolepsy, and was still fairly available. I ordered a small quantity and felt.... nothing significant. After using it a few more times, I found it gave me a slightly increased ability to focus, at the cost of becoming more irritable and "edgy". I also felt somewhat tired, sore, and groggy the morning after it's used.

I consumed it late at night while on a road trip across Canada, but threw out whatever I had left at the end of it. I wouldn't recommend Adrafinil based on my experience, and would suggest a good 'ole cup of joe instead. Just for the record: I eat well, have no medical conditions, and am quite fit.

If anybody gets some NZT let me know ;)

HeresMyThing

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Sep 1, 2014
I took Piracetam a few year back and at first the results were amazing. I could think in "branches," like a decision tree and I had lots of creative ideas. Then I crashed and felt like a zombie for the next 2 or 3 days: weak as hell.

I later learned you have to balance it with Choline. I didn't figure out how to balance the ratio and just left it there. Then I got alphabrain because it was already "balanced." The first few months were very good. I felt clear headed. If I took too much I got overly aggressive. I stopped feeling any effects so I stopped taking it for about 3 months and tried it again. No joy. So I take more months off and try it again... It still does nothing.

These days I take Bacopa and that seems to help.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Do they work? What are your experiences with them? Any suggestions on nootripics to try?

One I recently came across is called Alpha Brain. Heard good things, wonder if anyone has tried it.

I'm looking for a cognitive enhancer. I need more focus, clarity etc.

I can't help but notice a tie in with another of your threads. You asked advice on choosing a martial art. Maybe you should look at choosing a school/instructor who will teach you meditation. Meditation will do those things you want from a bottle of supplements, and it will do it better and cheaper. You might not find the combination of martial arts instruction and meditation guidance under one roof, but there is a cross over so you might find it. If you'd like I will PM you a good and easy to use mental imagery to help you get started meditating.

When I more actively practiced and taught karate, I had what I called the "black belt test diet" and it had a noticeable physical and mental effect. In short, once you know your up for testing (we usually knew a couple months before hand when testing was coming up) don't eat any crap. You know crap when you see it. When you see it, don't eat it. Just that simple. No soda, no candy, no alcohol, no McDonalds. Just don't eat crap. I never counted calories. I would just be more that usually alert to the ever present amount of crap around me and take greater effort to avoid it. Stop eating any and all junk food and you will feel better and think more clearly. I don't know what you eat now, but it's likely that you will find some crap in your diet if you look for it. Find it. Banish it, and save the money you were going to spend on supplements. Put that money to work.

tycoon7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 20, 2013
Well I always try to eat higher protein regardless, and pig out on carbs on a sunday (that's when I'm sticking to it)

One thing I've found with people who aren't having success with low-carb is that they simply don't eat enough. Perhaps that's something to consider, but it might not work for you.

So what foods do you eat on regular days? Do you eat dairy?
Could you show sample day breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Thank you.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I took Piracetam a few year back and at first the results were amazing. I could think in "branches," like a decision tree and I had lots of creative ideas. Then I crashed and felt like a zombie for the next 2 or 3 days: weak as hell.

I later learned you have to balance it with Choline. I didn't figure out how to balance the ratio and just left it there. Then I got alphabrain because it was already "balanced." The first few months were very good. I felt clear headed. If I took too much I got overly aggressive. I stopped feeling any effects so I stopped taking it for about 3 months and tried it again. No joy. So I take more months off and try it again... It still does nothing.

These days I take Bacopa and that seems to help.
I have tried Piracetam with Choline. It works. I am focused at the 8th hour as much as I am at the 1st. However it looked like it affected my mood a lot.

Having a balanced died (no sugar, few carbs), sleeping well and exercising regularly seems like a more sustainable approach.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Does anyone have any feedback on truBrain?

Also, I've read it again and again that people just get the raw ingredients used in the capsules of their favorite nootropics...

And make their own stacks, blends, etc. Has anyone or is anyone doing this?

AlphaAdem

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 13, 2015
Sydney , Australia
I have used Armodafinil(Newer version of Modafinil apparently stronger) a few times it was alright , first time i took it i thought it was going to be like NZT from the movie Limitless lol, wasn't anything special though just made me sharp ,awake and focused . Used it once before when i had like 4 hours sleep felt great all day.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
My experience with Nootropics:

Cofeein + Theanin
Dosage: 100mg Cofeein + 300mg Theanin ED
Pro: Instant wakefulness and alertness. The Theanin is "protecting" me from having the normal caffeine crash.
Con: Incredible hard to get out of bed in the morning. After a couple of weeks I can't get started in the morning without cofeein + theanin

Modafinil
Dosage: 100mg EOD
Pro: My Prime Time is from 7am-12pm. I'm sharp, productive and awake. With Modafinil that's how I feel all day long. Further, I don't feel the urge to F*ck around on the Internet and social media.
Con: Nothing close to Limitless; I get dry eyes; using it ED evokes headache; EOD + eye drops works just fine for me.

Intermittent Fasting + PAELO
Not eating during the day and staying away from processed food has the most important impact on my productivity and mental sharpness.

Adam Cerantivu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 10, 2015
Sydney NSW Australia
In relation to mental clarity and taking supplements for it - carefully observe the below (tone of voice, facial movements) in some parts of it, and I think one will see the possible "after-effects" [side-effects] of taking 'AMP Citrate' :)

Last edited:

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Tried Aniracetam and it helped me focus, increased confidence, better speech, etc.

Tried Noopept and it just made me have super tunnel vision, overly focused, etc.

Aniracetam is far better in my experience.

Nonetheless: Solid diet + exercise + sleep + meditation = Natural NZT-48 pill. (Limitless movie reference!)

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
First time I stacked 30mg Noopept with 200mg caffeine was amazing, everything felt great and I could focus on something for 4 hours without realising. However the next few times the effects wore off, and now (even though I only have it maybe once every 2 months) I feel little effects, but lie in bed at night with a terrible headache.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.