The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone familiar with Appsumo's "How to make a $1,000 a month business"

pascal1234

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 10, 2012
I started the course a few weeks ago, it is more or less about building a business that generates USD 1000/months. So far there were some good exercises to get out of the "comfort zone" and the whole process is guided... (I do like the structure).

So far, I think it is quite good, but of course it is not really necessary and you might be better off by investing the 300 into your product/business idea.

Personally for me it has already paid back almost 50% of the fee as I started to focus on my ideas and tested some already...

orangjul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
To me it seems like a small investment compared to a program like the Foundation ($4K). But probably not necessary...you can probably get the same info on this forum? Anyone else familiar with this program?

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I emailed Noah Kagan asking him why I needed his course when I had already made my first dollar. We chatted for a bit about the course etc. and he wasn't overtly trying to sell it to me, more like trying to gauge if he thought I actually needed it. We now have a bet. He doesn't think I can make a constant profit from the relevant idea, but I know that I can, so if I manage to get the business off the ground and get a constant profit, and show proof to him, he'll buy me dinner. If I can't get it off the ground, I agreed to buy the class. Pretty cool guy, but kind of detached. I'm glad my cold email got him to reply.

Black Wolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Vaguely - old friend of mine tried it.

They go on about 'validating' ideas within prospective marketplaces by using sites like Craigslist etc.

Part of me wonders if it's just one of these paradox of proof models MJ mentions in his book.

Selling a method but probably not using that method or model to achieve wealth in the process.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
(I do like the structure).
This is really important for a lot of people, and $300 is not much to invest in yourself.

I emailed Noah Kagan asking him why I needed his course when I had already made my first dollar. We chatted for a bit about the course etc. and he wasn't overtly trying to sell it to me,
That's a pretty cool attitude, I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

anthonylau

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 5, 2013
Asia
Why don't try implement yourself? seems it only need to try with only three steps.
1. Research keyword/product
2. Get First 3 Free/paid services/product
3. Launch it and roll over it again

The simple landing page will do.

Option

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 22, 2013
Netherlands
Bought the course some months ago and learned some valuable lessons from it,
however after discovering this forum I would not re-buy it, so much of the same info her for free.
Still comes in handy to have a quick step-by-step guide to validate an idea.
You can also buy & rush through the course, then get your money back. ;)

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
This book and google is everything I've needed. The thing's he teaches he probably doesn't use himself. I think MJ mentions things like this in the book if I'm correct.

Bodie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 4, 2013
London, UK
I bought the course and actually found out about TMF through it. They have a private FB group and have a reading list of Business books that people recommend.

I thought the course was structured really well and focuses on you taking action.
The course is interactive with you needing to take action before moving to the next part.
A cool thing is a 'stuck' button where you can personally message the AppSumo guys for help.

Noah mainly talks about the following:
- Validating your idea before you take it further.
- Only pursuing an idea if you have some passion/interest/experience in it.

I only made it half way through before giving up because I couldn't find an idea that validates.

He responds personally to email and has LIVE Q&A sessions.

Like another user said, there is no risk as he offers a 60 day money back guarantee.
These guys are very reputable.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I have two more things to add:

AppSumo is a living breathing execution of their courses. It doesn't exist solely as a vehicle to sell classes, they also have an app referral portion of the site which is where Noah makes most of his money currently. They talk aboutt his quite a bit.

The second thing: While this forum has been fantastically helpful and still is, AppSumo has tons of free info on their website and if you do a little searching you can find more material for free. They send a lot of emails, have ebooks available for free, and if you go around youtube there are some great interviews between Noah Kagan and Tim Ferriss where you can see the principles he teaches in his classes. This is actually where I learned how to validate ideas and to get my first dollar without the class. They have enough info for an intelligent entrepreuner who is new to the game to get a step up without paying the $300.

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
http://www.appsumo.com/how-to-make-your-first-dollar/

Obviously this doesn't sound very fastlane, but just curious if anyone has experience with this? Since it's a paid program I'm guessing that's probably a red flag, right?

I think many programs like appsumo are similar in their approach and offerings. I've studied The Foundation, Appsumo, Location Rebel, Tropical MBA and others and they are all similar. They do work if you apply yourself fully but in contrast all of the information they 'sell' is available for free on the internet if you search for it. What most people want is the structure and community.

Hope this helps!

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
I emailed Noah Kagan asking him why I needed his course when I had already made my first dollar. We chatted for a bit about the course etc. and he wasn't overtly trying to sell it to me, more like trying to gauge if he thought I actually needed it. We now have a bet. He doesn't think I can make a constant profit from the relevant idea, but I know that I can, so if I manage to get the business off the ground and get a constant profit, and show proof to him, he'll buy me dinner. If I can't get it off the ground, I agreed to buy the class. Pretty cool guy, but kind of detached. I'm glad my cold email got him to reply.
Better order some filet mignon and top notch wine!

Corygoneke

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Dec 27, 2013
I took this course a few months ago and have a few insights I'd like to contribute.

Firstly, they offer a money back guarantee, which I ended up using, that has zero hassles. If the $300 isn't going to make or break you I'd definitely say give it a try and if you like the content pay the money, if not get a refund.

The primary course objective is to get out of your comfort zone in the context of starting a business. One example of getting out of your comfort zone that they use is anytime you go somewhere ask for a discount. The goal isn't to actually get a discount but to get over your fear of rejection and to start asking for things that you want. Best case scenario you get a discount. Worst case scenario you get a no. Either way you'll still leave with whatever you were trying to purchase.

Personally i felt the course was very well outlined and had some good take aways, but not worth the $300.00 for me. I continue to follow AppSumo and Noah and wouldn't hesitate to buy something else from him.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Cory that is my feeling as well, though I haven't tried the course. The fact that he makes so much available for free on his website has earned respect from me, and if he offers a product that I really like, I will definitely consider buying it.

Mbc I will get the ribeye steak rare and a 1964 first growth french wine that I tried during Christmas. I believe it can be purchased from auction only, and the lowest tarrif for it is $1kish

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Since it's a paid program I'm guessing that's probably a red flag, right?

lol what?

why would the fact that it's paid make it a red flag. your groceries are paid that doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.

JackEdwin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 30, 2012
St. Louis, Missouri
http://www.appsumo.com/how-to-make-your-first-dollar/

Obviously this doesn't sound very fastlane, but just curious if anyone has experience with this? Since it's a paid program I'm guessing that's probably a red flag, right?

I've completed various courses and have learned some very valuable skills. The most important takeaway here is to NOT buy a course and let it collect dust only to keep repeating that pattern. Just because something cost money doesn't make it bad... Usually it is the FREE things that are a waste of time...they tell you WHAT to do but never HOW to do it.

With that being said, a couple of free resources that are loaded with value that I've come across are:
1. http://www.quicksprout.com/university
2. http://www.smartpassiveincome.com

I hope that helps ;)

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I previously invested in I Will Teach You to be Rich's Earn1k Program, which is similar but focused on freelancing rather than web-business.

I've read a bit about this program, and I honestly believe that if you spend the money & commit to these programs they are definitely worth it (assuming it matches your goals). I've wasted thousands of dollars on small e-books, signed up for newsletters, etc but the pricier more involved courses are worth so much more.

Lorenz14

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 30, 2012
Just make sure, if you win, that the dinner costs $300

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
I tried it. Not bad, the course itself is not worth 300$, since I did not learn much, maybe few interesting points here and there, but overall I learned much more from Fastlane and 4H work week books. Access to the community is not worth 300 either. I think I will ask for a refund and just buy premium at this forum instead.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
What do you mean by this?

So AppSumo has a mailing list where they sell discounted applications (sometimes mobile, sometimes pc, sometimes packet of ebooks that sort of thing). I believe there is a portion of the website that lists these deals exclusively. I'm a member of the email list and I've purchased a few discounted items like Scrivener and some Wordpress intro courses. I checked the wordpress courses I bought and the discount I got through AppSumo in their email offer was a discount of a discount (ie the people selling the wordpress thing first hand had already marked down from some higher number to the number that AppSumo discounted from).

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
I took this course some time ago.

The best thing about this course is definitely the sections on mindset and validation. They are very useful down the line. Another benefit is that @N.Kagan makes things pretty fun.

Let me give you an example. As I've got a bit of knowledge in web development and coding. First thing that comes to mind when I get a new business idea. Is to create some technical 'solution' for a business idea I want to start. Could be a website, landing page, e-commerce store, etc...

After many months, and wasted hours on mindless action-faking. I figured. Customers couldn't give a shit about your fancy code-work. They wanted their problem being solved. Not your fancy website.

As for not so great things about this course. I felt a few activities are bit of time-wasters, and not everything can apply to your business and situation. Creating a course which shows you how to create a Digital or Physical product, Consulting, and Self-branding business is way too much.

Each one barely gets covered well. Would suggest you look for the best courses and books, pertaining most similarly to your situation.

Next, a lot of things well.... just gotta to be figured out by yourself. After validating an idea. I don't feel the course helps that much.

Finally, it is priced way more than what I feel it should. For what it delivers. Double the price. $600+ now.

Suggest you check out their awesome youtube channel, and maybe even get one of their cheaper courses such as the sumo blueprint. Just to learn about validating quick and dirty. If it doesn't help, ask for a refund. Their support is awesome.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Not being funny but $1000/month is not a lot of money if your running your own business.

Honestly, there's so much free information out there. I started a business within a month from knowing nothing, did I need a paid service or course? Nope, I went online and found out everything free and believe it or not your hometown also has places for information (library). I respect the value behind the course but save your money (unless its not an issue) and invest it in to your business: testing PPC for example, it pretty easy to burn $1000 to find a decent ROI ad.

The more you keep searching for these courses 'how to make x per month' / 'how to sell your grandma and make $500 dollars per day' the more you are technically chasing the money. Instead, find a problem and fix it. Invest your money and time in to doing that and you will see a much greater return.

Get over to amazon, take a look at random 1-2-3 star reviews and see what problems people are having with already viable markets.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Not being funny but $1000/month is not a lot of money if your running your own business.

Honestly, there's so much free information out there. I started a business within a month from knowing nothing, did I need a paid service or course? Nope, I went online and found out everything free and believe it or not your hometown also has places for information (library). I respect the value behind the course but save your money (unless its not an issue) and invest it in to your business: testing PPC for example, it pretty easy to burn $1000 to find a decent ROI ad.

The more you keep searching for these courses 'how to make x per month' / 'how to sell your grandma and make $500 dollars per day' the more you are technically chasing the money. Instead, find a problem and fix it. Invest your money and time in to doing that and you will see a much greater return.

Get over to amazon, take a look at random 1-2-3 star reviews and see what problems people are having with already viable markets.

You couldn't be more right. My belief system when I signed up for the course as a 17-year old thought wow. My life would be so awesome to earn just a thousand extra dollars a month.

Now I realise, $1000/month barely gets you anywhere. Still haven't achieved it, and realising more and more. Mindset is everything.

When you say testing PPC ? Could you please give me an example of how would you go about this ? Thanks man

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
You couldn't be more right. My belief system when I signed up for the course as a 17-year old thought wow. My life would be so awesome to earn just a thousand extra dollars a month.

Now I realise, $1000/month barely gets you anywhere. Still haven't achieved it, and realising more and more. Mindset is everything.

When you say testing PPC ? Could you please give me an example of how would you go about this ? Thanks man

I'm not your guy for PPC as I haven't done it yet myself, at least to a large scale. There's loads of great free videos on youtube if you dig deep.
The ultimate idea is to make a lots of ads (20-30) in different campaigns(5 to 10 of them). You set a daily budget of $5/$10 for each campaign and slowly narrow down the best converting ad. Then once you get your best converting, you restart by making variations of that and narrow it down. You are constantly searching for the best PPC ad by testing different ones.

Of course once you get a good converting ad which is when your return is better than ad spend you put that in a campaign with its own budget while you test others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.