The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nootropics? Anyone familiar with them?

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Do they work? What are your experiences with them? Any suggestions on nootripics to try?

One I recently came across is called Alpha Brain. Heard good things, wonder if anyone has tried it.

I'm looking for a cognitive enhancer. I need more focus, clarity etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
There is a huge thread on this somewhere on the forum

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Do they work? What are your experiences with them? Any suggestions on nootripics to try?

One I recently came across is called Alpha Brain. Heard good things, wonder if anyone has tried it.

Being very biased about not taking drugs, I'm going to suggest don't take anything brewed by an evil mad scientist that makes your brain do things it wouldn't normally do.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
A study just came out for alpha brain if you're interested.
https://www.onnit.com/academy/alpha...ignificance-in-groundbreaking-clinical-trial/

I use my own little concoction, and its much cheaper that way. Anecdotal evidence is almost useless when it comes to these things, but I've noticed a difference.

I think a clean diet should come first though, that's where you'll notice the biggest boost.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
They may help you short term, but will ultimately be your downfall in the end. Not worth it.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
pudding-cup.jpg

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Wasn't relly making a claim that I was ready to link studies to back it up with. Just intuition. I've tried many of them a have a history with all sorts of drugs. There are plenty of examples if you just look around.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
Wasn't relly making a claim that I was ready to link studies to back it up with. Just intuition. I've tried many of them a have a history with all sorts of drugs. There are plenty of examples if you just look around.
Come on son... that's some weak shit and you know it.

Anyway, the nootropics I take aren't 'drugs'. At least, not like the stuff the hypocrites take for a headache or stir into their morning coffee. Just vitamins.

Abuse of anything will mess you up. Find the middle way.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Come on son... that's some weak shit and you know it.

Anyway, the nootropics I take aren't 'drugs'. At least, not like the stuff the hypocrites take for a headache or stir into their morning coffee. Just vitamins.

Abuse of anything will mess you up. Find the middle way.
Just my opinion anyways, I'm against caffeine as well (it's a drug) Maybe 1 out of 1000 people would take my side haha

Traveling Morgue

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 3, 2014
Indiana
Just my opinion anyways, I'm against caffeine as well (it's a drug) Maybe 1 out of 1000 people would take my side haha

Now I like to think of drugs as a continuum, with different drugs on different parts of the spectrum. Using that definition anything relatively benign (including caffeine) can be a drug. Hell even this forum counts as a drug because it gives you little squirts of dopamine (you can feel this as surges of motivation when reading gold threads). Does that mean the forum doesn't greatly help many of us? Should I cut out the hour or two a day I spend on here?

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014
I used to took Modafinil, Best GPA out of 400 med student. It works, but it's not magic in a pill, sure will make you more productive but It's not gonna make you a mastermind.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I wouldn't go that far. I googled the definition of drug: a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.
Are you snorting this forum?
Pretty sure the term for drug being used in this conversation doesn't involve things other than the definition I provided.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Try diet first, then follow up with nootropics if necessary.

Honestly, it's simplistic, but I become a machine when I eliminate carbs and sugar.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Having tried almost every nootropic out there. I'll say that alpha brain is crap. Effects are very very mild and doesnt justify the cost. Go with Modafinil if you want something with a kick. Who knows what it'll do to you long term though.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Try diet first, then follow up with nootropics if necessary.

Honestly, it's simplistic, but I become a machine when I eliminate carbs and sugar.
I feel like utter shit when i reduce carbs. Higher protein for me does the trick.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Well I always try to eat higher protein regardless, and pig out on carbs on a sunday (that's when I'm sticking to it)

One thing I've found with people who aren't having success with low-carb is that they simply don't eat enough. Perhaps that's something to consider, but it might not work for you.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Well I always try to eat higher protein regardless, and pig out on carbs on a sunday (that's when I'm sticking to it)

One thing I've found with people who aren't having success with low-carb is that they simply don't eat enough. Perhaps that's something to consider, but it might not work for you.
It probably doesnt work for me cause I dont beleive in it. Carbs are your bodies preffered energy source. Low carb is just a fad with no science to back it up.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
It probably doesnt work for me cause I dont beleive in it. Carbs are your bodies preffered energy source. Low carb is just a fad with no science to back it up.
Can you provide links to the scientific research that proves carbs are the preferred energy source? Based on what I've read, you can live your entire life without carbs.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Drug-fix = the modern day madness.
Brain doesn't work? Take pills. Sounds easy? Quit that shit.

If your brain does not work and you feel shitty, try not to eat shitty food and try to change to a more active lifestyle.
Start doing more of the things you enjoy, that make you feel stress-free.
Try to break the cycle of a boring daily routine with some activity or expression of yourself.

The absence of focus or clarity is usually a symptom of other things not going so well.
I would say eat more natural food, sleep 6-8 hours so when you wake up you feel in total peace (not wake up stressed or tense), do more of what you used to enjoy every now and then.

More bio and natural lifestyle, less resistance. ;)

UPDATE: and read the book "Toxic Parents" by Susan Forward. Many adulthood problems are related to early childhood experiences with parents and this book does a brilliant job to help you understand and fix these secret inner conflicts. I'm 50% in reading it, and it's like my life story in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Changing the way you eat will have an amazing effect on mental clarity, focus and all day energy. For me it's the Paleo lifestyle.

For the times that I need a boost of energy or increased focus (usually when I have a project or task that needs to be done asap or playing poker) I now use Natural Stacks by @benhebert. I know a few others on the forum that take it regularly. @Red comes to mind right away. In particular, I take CILTEP and Smart Caffeine.

Also, 6 mornings a week I drink Bulletproof Coffee. I mentioned more info about this in other threads.

Also, @pickeringmt recently starting taking some specific supplements after he found out he may be deficient in and he has had an incredible turn around in health, energy and focus. Maybe he can chime in as well.

Last edited:

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
As mentioned above a good diet will allow your mind and body function better.

But for times when I eat like crap and feel sluggish, I take half a Modafinil in the morning with a coffee.

Gets me in flow state almost instantly, and stay there for hours.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK

I'm interested to know what you drink on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I'm interested to know what you drink on a daily basis.
I went about two years without drinking anything but water. It's really not that hard.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
I went about two years without drinking anything but water. It's really not that hard.

Wasn't really aimed at you. Just seeing if any hypocrites can get caught out. Like someone said early, nootropics are no different from having coffee on a morning, grabbing a redbull or even drinking tea. Saying that I think someone mentioned also about taking medication for a headache. I drink pretty much anything I like the taste of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLJBFspeech

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Dec 13, 2014
I take L-Theanine (200mg) everyday as well as 2 doses of 200mg Caffeine. I recently attained modafinil im a big fan, its like slight motivation mixed with intense focus. Anyways these all help but on top of this is also make a green smoothie and eat a salad every day. And take omega 3 fish oil and a multi vitamin. Diet is the most important part. load up on kale, swiss chard, spinnach, broccoli, collard greens, carrots, beets etc. I read a book called the ultramind solution by Mark Hyman(highly reccomend)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.