The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No I'm just a winner...

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
No, people want you to get your head out of your a$$, hit the gym and buy healthy food then roll your savings into a business venture.

You know, become an actual winner.
All of my income comes from ltd companies that I own. I am already Fastlane. This is just a side project to make me lose weight, seems to be working so far.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I do want to say one thing... if it is just taxing the poor who can't do math...what do you say to those who played and now have a £100m+ networth because of it? Are they also stupid?

Are we rationalizing gambling because of the 1 in 1 gazillion people that hit the lotto?

So you want me to be fat and die of obesity because it makes Mars Corporation and whoever sold it more money?

Yes. I hear they sell a new bar of outlier myth coated in candy mint false dilemma.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
So you want me to be fat and die of obesity because it makes Mars Corporation and whoever sold it more money?

Do you recommend I get a coke habit so it creates wealth for coke dealers too?

You can make any assumptions you want about my intentions.

You want to assume the worst, that's your choice, just like it's your choice to buy junk food or lottery.

Not gonna argue with you, it's not my style lol

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
You can make any assumptions you want about my intentions.

You want to assume the worst, that's your choice, just like it's your choice to buy junk food or lottery.

Not gonna argue with you, it's not my style lol
Sounds like an interesting way to dodge explaining your post doesn't it?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like an interesting way to dodge explaining your post doesn't it?

Sounds like you not only need an education in mathematics, you need one in logic. Pretty much everything you argue with is a logical fallacy of some sort. Debating you would be a circular never-ending mess.

Anyhow, insofar as your original post -- I think it has some redeeming merit, the meditation, the behavior alteration - you've turned a bad habit into something exciting. While technically it is gambling, I don't see this as something addictive. I understand this aspect of the post and can identify with it.

I believe positive thinking and meditation can play a role in our journey. My issue with the "law of attraction" was how it was marketed. Dream it, and things outside of your control will happen. That's the bunk that is dangerous, and now you're using it to justify lottery wins, something you cannot control. You can dream a Ferrari and work your a$$ off to get it - that's controllable, winning the lottery is not.

Elliot Rodger tried to do this too, he dreamed of pretty girls and riches, and it when it didn't perform as promised, he ended up murdering people.

Elliot Rodger and The Secret

I realize that's an outlier, as much as your fantasy of the lottery player who now has a net worth of 150M.

As for the universe manifesting your lottery wins because you're such a powerful meditator, I don't think the universe cares about your desire for free money -- and if it did, I'd be the first to admit I'd be disappointed in the universe.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
All of my income comes from ltd companies that I own. I am already Fastlane. This is just a side project to make me lose weight, seems to be working so far.

What about replacing this with a different, healthier habit?

For example. Set up an online bank account, or even just a jar at home called "Fun Account"...when you think of buying junk food, instead you throw it into this account or jar. Then you just blow that money on a fun experience when it gets large enough?

Since you're already "Fastlane" a jar for saving/investments doesn't make sense but rewarding yourself with an experience you normally wouldn't do might be motivating?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
giving yourself an incentive to lose weight is a great idea. I'm not sure of the incentive but if it works for you without getting addicted than great... but based on your lack of self control I would guess gambling could be your next problem.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I do realise this could potentially turn into a habit which would be negative behaviour.

I am going to write a new thread later about my life and ask for advice as I can see some people are very in tune with psychological health here. It will be very long and might take me a while to write, I am on a laptop currently which is a no go.

I would love this thread which has turned out negative to turn into something positive so I will touch upon my OP with more detail in the new thread.

Thank you all for all the insight. You know, as hard as it is to admit, I am obviously wrong... as hurtful to my own ego as that sounds.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do realise this could potentially turn into a habit which would be negative behaviour.

I am going to write a new thread later about my life and ask for advice as I can see some people are very in tune with psychological health here. It will be very long and might take me a while to write, I am on a laptop currently which is a no go.

I would love this thread which has turned out negative to turn into something positive so I will touch upon my OP with more detail in the new thread.

Thank you all for all the insight. You know, as hard as it is to admit, I am obviously wrong... as hurtful to my own ego as that sounds.
Fair play to you. This isn't the normal path these types of threads take. If you're strong enough to admit you're wrong even though it hurts your ego then you're strong enough to do many things...

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I would love this thread which has turned out negative to turn into something positive
You can look at this thread as a positive growing experience or a negative insult.

Up to you.

Ex.
When someone calls you fat you can look at it as a negative insult from a bully. Or you can look at it as positive criticism that will help you grow as a person.

Would you rather have a friend lie and say you look great when they actually think you're fat and ugly or a truthful friend who says you need to lose weight because you look fat and ugly?

Like you said. It's an ego thing.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
My head was about to explode...

Where does this "speak it into existence" bs you can read everywhere suddenly come from?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
UPDATE TIME

So I won £250k... lel only kidding.

Not bought any more scratch cards since Aug 17 - a day after my last reply here.

I popped myself into a 20-4 intermittent fast window, that is 20 hours of fasting (water only allowed) and a 4 hour eating window for my whole 1500 calories. Lost half a stone. Broke it today with some dark chocolate for seretonin.

I have been spending the money on buying books instead, and trying to think of the blissful space in my head you get during meditation when I feel the urge to binge. Seems to be working but it is early days.

I don't know whether to do this:
because it is a public forum and I'm not sure I want all of this out in public.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
I don't know whether to do this:

because it is a public forum and I'm not sure I want all of this out in public.

You can sign up for Fastlane INSIDERS and start a progress thread in their. It'd be semi-private, only being viewed by the others who want to get the most out of the forum.

Edit: Also, congrats on your progress!

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
My head was about to explode...

Where does this "speak it into existence" bs you can read everywhere suddenly come from?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

this is the problem of capitalism

stupid things are allowed to be sold because of this economic system

tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets and so on

it is correct to become rich by selling stupid things to people . where are moral and common sense here ?

so you guys must not complain about the lottery because you support the economic system that allows it

be congruent with your society 's way of life

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Happy to see the progress you have been making. A lot of times the responses on the forum are direct/harsh, but trust me, as you have recognised it is simply to steer us straight and help you/us all cut out the semi-crazy things we tell ourselves for the sake of comfort - especially when we should be focusing on getting important things done.

I know you mentioned earlier that you already had successful businesses, but, the great thing about TMF /Unscripted /The Forum as you may have recognised is that it assists you in succeeding in any aspect of life. Kudos to you on your progress; and as usual, the advice given of every thread applies to all of us, so it's lessons for everyone reading/viewing.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Unless I missed a post, it sounds like you believe in magic.

Magic doesn't exist.

The law of attraction, thinking positively, having a better attitude, etc... do not say you will become a wizard.

The law of attraction is about being more present of mind to spot the kinds of opportunities that lead to success.
Which can SEEM like magic, but it really, really isn't.

No amount of thinking positively, meditation, winning attitude or believing in yourself can alter mathematics, or luck in the truest definition of the term.

A pair of dice don't give a shit about your feelings towards them. A homeless crack addict is just as likely to roll a 6 as you. Throw them with a smile or throw them in crippling depression and your odds don't change. To change those odds you need magic. Which again - doesn't exist. Sorry.

You want to replace eating with scratch tickets? Sure. Go nuts.
I wouldn't personally be proud of this decision but that doesn't matter.

What matters is you realize that magic doesn't exist and the law of attraction involves being ready and able to both notice opportunities and take advantage of them when they arise. It does not mean you harness luck from Thor's a**hole like a wizard and can suddenly beat the odds in games of chance.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
You know, I don't actually know what I believe in anymore. People used to tell me about karma and consequence of action and I would laugh at them when I was 18 or so...then I had what is called a "kundalini awakening" and it blew my mind and now I am not sure what I believe.

You will probably laugh at that too...

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You will probably laugh at that too...

Truthfully I'm more concerned with the application of your belief in constructive or destructive ways.

Believing you can control chance as it pertains to destructive habits (gambling, for example) is incredibly worrisome.
It would be like saying your belief will protect you from harm when crossing a busy street blindfolded.
Or that because you never lose so might as well bet your life savings in a game of chance.
Or you'll start a business with borrowed money in a field you know little about, with very little experience, and think you can't fail.

Your belief is less of a concern than the application of it.

If you think you can control the odds to always win, and use this belief to engage in positive activities such as building businesses you can afford, helping others, fighting for what you believe in, etc... then there's no harm in it. You are doing what you think is right with the belief that you can do it.

When you tempt fate in negative ways it often ends in tears.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Being overweight and having an issue with emotional eating I recently came up with the idea of...every time I feel like making myself feel better by snacking, I buy a scratch card instead.

What has your progress been? Have you been losing weight? If not then all you've been doing is buying scratch cards.

All the money goes to both the Canadian Teachers Pension as well as charity. They build things needed by people in the UK for people who are not even in a lane.

Pension? So they can retire at 55 while almost everyone else has to work until they at 65 and has very little to show for? If anything LESS money should be going to teachers pensions. What teachers are paid should be based on the free market.

So anyway I almost always win at these games. Because I am a winner... and I believe in the Universe to bestow me good stuff.
This was not always the case. I used to buy these and lose £40 in a row. Not anymore.

Randomness means you'll occasionally have winning and losing streaks. If you flip a coin it won't always be heads followed by tails. There is also confirmation bias that might play a role.

All that changed? Daily meditation, which seems to be like plugging a Tesla into the mains..it gives me energy, or power, of some kind. And the belief that everything is for a reason, and the Universe combined with action on my part leads to anything I want.

MJ touched on this in his first book... The Flaw of Attraction. Think and Grow Rich. People read those and think if they just put it out there that they will get rich then it will happen. Then it doesn't and they leave a 1 star review on the book.... 10 years later people say it is BS. But they don't read properly.

This was a different result last week:

I say, in my mind, "Universe, I want to win on a scratchcard today" = thought

I drive somewhere completely random and buy the ticket = action.

I win = reaction.

TLDR: The power of action and thought = success.

This is nothing more than delusional thinking. Why would things change supernaturally based on what you think? The odds of winning or losing a lottery ticket do not change based on what you think.

Based on your reasoning I should be able to do this:

I say, in my mind, "Universe, I want to find a pile of gold." = thought
I drive somewhere completely random and start digging a hole = action.
I win = reaction.

As in all cases the odds of winning do not change supernaturally based on thought.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
As the great Charles Barkley once said in regard to his gambling.... "It's not a problem, because I can afford it".

While I agree in general with some of the responses so far to the OP, I'm still leaning on the side of the OP here. I dunno why this particular thread got me going... lol.

[NOTE - I realized after writing the post, i got realllll philosophical.... my bad, lol, wasn't my intention, I literally just wanted to post the Barkley comment, but it turned into the below].

1. ) OP - while I side more on your side on this, the points given by the group have mostly been relevant. While some responses have had terrible delivery, they have a solid message. People can be ruthless, it's part of the game.

2.) Yall totally ransacked his positive moment to express an immense amount of [insert word i can't think of here]. OP didn't ask for advice, he was sharing something. Instead of calling him an 'idiot', coulda just said 'that's not how I would think'. But this is a forum and everyone has a right to speak their mind... so what the f do i know.

3.) More on the point above, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.... OP you own some of this too.... you came of kinda dickish with the 'I always win, because I'm a winner" comment, lol. You might really always be a winner, but in the context and tone (in my perspective) made my say "WTF, who say's that out loud in that context.

4.) Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.... Frivolous spending is relative in context. How many of you get starbucks, candy, eat out, buy random shit you don't need. At a high level, all that shit is money that is better allocated elsewhere. Based on many of the responses logic.... any money not spent generating more money is stupid. Some things are immeasurable, if this specific change leads him to greater/better changes, is it a good thing? Can something be immeasurable, but have powerful impact? Absolutely.

5.) While I agree on premise of the responses around 'magical thinking', I do firmly believe in the power of positive thinking/Law of attraction. HOWEVER, that needs to be in conjunction with REAL action. When's the last time you met someone who is a fastlaner who didn't think they were a winner, who didn't think they could create real change. When's the last time you met someone who has made it but constantly doesn't think they can make it? I would say rarely. The OP had 1/2 of the equation mentioned, it's our purpose here to give him the other half (granted.... the group did that.... just ruthlessly :) ). The majority of the people on this forum THINK differently, many people might call us crazy....

6.) To the person who said they'd feel like winning the lottery was tainted money or wouldn't want to win..... pleaseeeeee :), lol.

7.) The odds of creating a Billion dollar company is astronomical, does that mean one should not try? Same thing with creating a Million dollar company. Business and products is at it's essence a gamble, albeit you control more. I simply mention this because in essence, what we all do here, has a level of risk.

8.) OP - Some of your responses to the group coulda been better (see point #3). This place can be ruthless, but totally worth it.

9.) Again.... as the great Charles Barkley once said (paraphrasing) - "It ain't a problem, because I can afford it". If he can afford it (all relative), meh.

10.) Apologies for the long-a$$ post.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
this is the problem of capitalism

stupid things are allowed to be sold because of this economic system

tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets and so on

it is correct to become rich by selling stupid things to people . where are moral and common sense here ?

so you guys must not complain about the lottery because you support the economic system that allows it

be congruent with your society 's way of life

The lottery is run by the government.. but hey, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

And the people who play the lottery, drink to excess, or smoke tobacco... where were they educated?

Oh... that's right... in government schools, by overwhelming majority.

And how is that these businesses are allowed to operate? Yeah, they are licensed by the government. They are also protected from competition by the state.

The government also makes sure that nobody can sue tobacco/alcohol manufacturers for undue harm or death, due to their products. So they get to pedal poison with impunity.

So the government churns out scientifically, mathematically, and economically illiterate people by the tens of millions, then licenses and shelters the people who sell them harmful substances... and somehow capitalism is to blame.

Logic, not even once.

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Guys I tried this and can confirm it works.

I believed I would develop a gambling addiction and it came true.
The fact that I believed in myself and made it a reality makes me a winner.

All jokes aside. I think it's good you decided to do something else with your money than buy guilty-pleasure food. But maybe you could just... save that money and invest it in a startup or something later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.