The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Rep System, Some Other Things...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
and, one more little interesting tid-bit...

In that week (after I gave all my rep $ away and then saw my rep $ come back to me five fold) I had three or four contributions greater than $100. All but one came from people that are very rep bank rich. The other came from an "old-timer" that hasn't been around lately, recently returned, and most certainly would have been rep bank rich had he been here for the last few years.

What is my point? I don't really know, but I have two ideas...

1) The top "earners" are givers. Which came first? The chicken or the egg? ;)
2) Even if the top "earners" suddenly had a drastic reduction in the "rep bank," would they still have a stellar reputation around here (I suspect that the answer is 'yes') and if so, why?

Okay, now I am really done :)

Funny, when i first saw it, I was like i want to send all mine to someone new. You just reminded me of that! I'd like to keep a 0 balance, live forum life on the edge....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny, when i first saw it, I was like i want to send all mine to someone new.

Wow, you're such a disruptor and a change-agent. Mad props man for paying back the community in such a radical way. You're like that kid in high school who had green spiked hair that towered three feet in the air. You've surely differentiated yourself from the rest of us peasants.

Anyhow, effective immediately, the max rep transfer is $100. If people want to continue to use the abuse the system in a manner it wasn't intended, Ill add on some more limitations.

I guess this is a perfect example of how the 1% ruin for the other 99%.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Wow, you're such a disruptor and a change-agent. Mad props man for paying back the community in such a radical way. You're like that kid in high school who had green spiked hair that towered three feet in the air. You've surely differentiated yourself from the rest of us peasants.

Anyhow, effective immediately, the max rep transfer is $100. If people want to continue to use the abuse the system in a manner it wasn't intended, Ill add on some more limitations.

I guess this is a perfect example of how the 1% ruin for the other 99%.

Really MJ? What's wrong with loading a new member up with rep money? I read through some of the intro posts and found someone who might go somewhere, transferred and wrote a msg with it. You would think someone would maybe be inspired by it since its funny money.

I don't see abuse or mis-use here. Does it matter if i have 0 rep money because i gave it away to someone who is starting out on the forum with a goal? I wasn't trying to be differentiated, i was rolling off of ATW's comment of doing the same.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd like to keep a 0 balance, live forum life on the edge....

I'm sorry, for some reason I misread this as you don't give a F*ck and will transfer to whomever as long as you can maintain a zero, which BTW you can still do, it will just take you some more time.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
@MJ DeMarco If you need me to "tune lighthouse up" this week, just let me know ;)

@AroundTheWorld Holy bajeebus! Miss ya, guuurl! Hope all is well.

@LightHouse Quit causing trouble!

@the rest of y'all ... man there's a lot of new names here. Maybe I'll meet you this week.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm sorry, for some reason I misread this as you don't give a F*ck and will transfer to whomever as long as you can maintain a zero, which BTW you can still do, it will just take you some more time.

No, I was saying in terms of passing it out to new people, not every time i get $10. It has 0 value, but to someone new, it might inspire them with some confidence.

Either way, you have inspired me.... LOL!

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Is there a way to show lifetime rep earned and current rep in the wallet (kind of like how frequent flyer programs show lifetime miles and current mile balance)?

Lifetime-Status.png

It's a very entrepreneurial thing to do to take big positions, to vote strongly for a person one believes in, or even to bust the bank (all based on the ideas that risk is manageable and cash is fungible). If speed goes away, it'd be hard for new people to recognize esteemed members if they've just given away their fortune, and happen to be carrying a zero balance at the moment.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's a very entrepreneurial thing to do to take big positions, to vote strongly for a person one believes in, or even to bust the bank (all based on the ideas that risk is manageable and cash is fungible). If speed goes away, it'd be hard for new people to recognize esteemed members if they've just given away their fortune, and happen to be carrying a zero balance at the moment.

It's a great idea but isn't apart of the add-on that was installed, which was already hacked-up by yours truly. Nonetheless, I will look into it... in other words, I will put on my coder hat for a few hours and see what kind of mess I can brew up.

Also, for those individuals who like to haphazardly throw their rep $ around because it has "0 value" and its fun to just "throw money in the air because you just don't care!" -- it might hold some value in the future, particularly to INSIDERS subscription costs, INSIDERS access (minimum access levels), and other things. I also get my hands on a lot of different books which I'm thinking can be showcased in a store and sold for rep dollars. Yup, you just might be able to buy shit with it. Just some things I'm thinking about....

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm almost scared to re-enter this conversation, but what the hell, I've had a couple of glasses of wine.

WHAT IS THIS FORUM?

A) A place where people come to learn
B) A place where people come to give
C) A place where people come to hoard fake money
D) A place where people come to develop relationships with like minded people
E) A, B, and D

WHAT IS THE PREMISE OF THE GOLD THREAD - The Astonishing Secrets That zen******* Never Told You…Exposed!

A) To hoard all the fake internet money you can
B) To identify the needs of other's and supply those needs
C) To be giving
D) To add value
E) B, C, and D

I WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE THAT TRANSFERS REP MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Even though I am fully aware that this "diminishes" my "reputation" on this forum.

Why?

Because I believe in giving.
Because I believe in developing relationships and giving credit where credit is due.
Because I believe in interacting with others on a personal level.
Because I believe that being humble is important.
Because I know that I have more to learn.

...I guess this is a perfect example of how the 1% ruin for the other 99%.

I'm going to assume that you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't then I guess I just need to weigh in by saying this: If that means that I am ruining it for the other 99%, then F*ck you. You don't understand me and I don't understand you, but we still compliment each other (gasp) and our opposing views can add value to the other people on this forum and we can agree to disagree. If you were being sarcastic, then please simply erase the last few sentences from your memory. I'll buy you a drink when I'm in Phoenix next month.

Still, I HAVE TO ASK...

What are you encouraging people to do???
Get a high Rep Bank Balance?
Give Rep Bank $?
Participate in the Forum?
Develop Relationships?

While I like the new rep system, I also think that it could potentially "punish" the givers. AND... Isn't giving a part of what this forum is all about?

There is a difference between those that are rep bank rich because they are hoarders and those that are rep bank rich because they are givers.

I *could* have been one of the *richest* people on the forum today, but I have been giving. I decided not to hoard the reputation. I decided to build relationships instead.

@Mrs. BRKb suggestion could be a great way to show this difference...

Is there a way to show lifetime rep earned and current rep in the wallet (kind of like how frequent flyer programs show lifetime miles and current mile balance)?

Lifetime-Status.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser2

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
can I buy you a glass of wine anytime soon? :)

Z

HELL, yes.

For a glass of wine, I will come to you.... as long as it is winter, and you live in a warm climate.

Where do you live? :)

Signed ~ ATW, freezing her a$$ off after just returning back to Montana from a glorious 5 days in sunny Nevada.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm going to assume that you are being sarcastic, but if you aren't then I guess I just need to weigh in by saying this: If that means that I am ruining it for the other 99%, then F*ck you.

Sorry Sonya I wasn't being sarcastic, so thank you for the F*ck you. ;)

However, my post wasn't directed at you but several others (not necessarily in this thread) who have already made it clear they will pass the stuff around, not because they want to give, but because they just don't give a f*ck about it. Well you know what? I give a f*ck.

As for you wanting to give (and continue to give) that's fine. Anyone can give as much as they want -- really hasn't changed, just isn't as easy.

MrsBRrB suggestion could be a great way to show this difference...

Yup absolutely, it would be a great addition and really help clear up the incongruity with giving/spreading the wealth, which is why I said I'd look into it. A true rep measurement wouldn't be the current rep bk, but the all-time rep bk.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
However, my post wasn't directed at you but several others (not necessarily in this thread) who have already made it clear they will pass the stuff around, not because they want to give, but because they just don't give a f*ck about it. Well you know what? I give a f*ck.

How / where are you seeing the difference?
Where can the difference be "fixed" so that it doesn't continue to happen?

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I *could* have been one of the *richest* people on the forum today, but I have been giving. I decided not to hoard the reputation. I decided to build relationships instead.

You know something funny that I've found? Giving away loads of rep bank often yields the same amount of rep bank being given back to you. I gave $1,000 rep bank individually to a lot of the legendary contributors on here and within a few hours many of them gave it right back.

Rep coming your way, ATW. Your writing style is super neat.

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
INSIDERS access (minimum access levels), and other things
Out of curiosity, are there currently different levels "inside" where some people don't have access? I ask because I personally haven't seen anything for a while from the top contributors.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Out of curiosity, are there currently different levels "inside" where some people don't have access? I ask because I personally haven't seen anything for a while from the top contributors.

http://www.diggingforfire.net/FightClub/
Read the first two rules bro.

JK if there are currently different levels "inside" I certainly haven't been made aware of them.

I suspect the top contributors are just busy taking action and turning shit into sugar. Water into wine. Milk and cream into ice cream.

I've been wanting to write more articles and stuff, but I have a lot of work that I need to knock out first. My accountability partners will kill me and feed me to the lions if I don't get everything done.

I actually get really irritable if I go too many days without writing something of quality because the thoughts end up staying stuck in my head.

I'm going to make a thread discussing step-by-step how I successfully pre-sold software to a dentist in early 2013. I ended up not being able to scale it due to licensing issues, but the lessons learned about pre-selling can totally be repeated.

Last edited:

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
I see where MJ is coming from, but I give away a lot of rep because it's the best way I can show my appreciation for the legendary advice I'm receiving on a daily basis.

It's not that I don't care, I enjoy receiving likes and reps as much as the next man, it's just I have been taking so much more than I give, so I don't mind sitting on $0 if I can give the top contributors their due.

Just my 2c.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
You know something funny that I've found? Giving away loads of rep bank often yields the same amount of rep bank being given back to you. I gave $1,000 rep bank individually to a lot of the legendary contributors on here and within a few hours many of them gave it right back.

Rep coming your way, ATW. Your writing style is super neat.

Yes thanks for that. Sorry I did not give back, I am waiting until I reach my million and then I am going to try to get all the other rep bank millionaires to pledge half their funds to help charity.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Tapatalk added less than 24 hours after mentioning it to MJ?! That dude is amazing!

FYI MJ, there are a few bugs with its formatting on posts on tapatalk, but overall it works fine. Much easier to consume threads on a small mobile device again now.

Also, can we get an community vote/pay option, that once 10 people get annoyed at someone they can pay/vote in to have that "discourage" feature activated for 24-48 hours? or is that too much troll?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Funny, when i first saw it, I was like i want to send all mine to someone new. You just reminded me of that! I'd like to keep a 0 balance, live forum life on the edge....

You're like that kid in high school who had green spiked hair that towered three feet in the air. You've surely differentiated yourself from the rest of us peasants.

@MJ DeMarco Please. For the love of all that is holy, and for the hatred of the clown avatar, TAKE IT BACK!!
Or, atleast call @LightHouse some sort of a car. A pinto, maybe. (Is there a car called a pinto?) :)

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

I Just made a transfer and was puzzled by why I couldn't send more than 100. now I see what is going on.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I Just made a transfer and was puzzled by why I couldn't send more than 100. now I see what is going on.

You can however send multiple transfers one after another.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts