The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Rep System, Some Other Things...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm having no idea where these "likes" are coming from, no notifications. it usually happens at certain times of the day, all in the same minute. are they self generated somehow?

Curious ... do you have any actual likes attributed to it? (On your USER menu, where it says "Likes You've Received".)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Curious ... do you have any actual likes attributed to it? (On your USER menu, where it says "Likes You've Received".)

I personally don't see any. There are some likes, but not close to how many the rep bank says.

There's about 40 likes in just a couple minutes. Can't be right.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just noticed a loss of $20 for "Thread Deleted".

Is everyone who was active in a thread docked when it is deleted?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Yea, unfortunately.

Yea, something is wonky ... I'll have to look into this. I'm seeing this for several users.

Would it be alright if I gift some of the cash I've got, or should I leave it alone until all this gets fixed?

Don't wanna make things harder for you.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would it be alright if I gift some of the cash I've got, or should I leave it alone until all this gets fixed?
Don't wanna make things harder for you.

I wouldn't because if I go in and delete the transactions it will subtract the amount from ya.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I had an alert from one user that "liked" a post from me. And at the same time Received a crap load of rep coin. But again there was only one alert at the time. I wish the user was recorded in my rep bank "transfers". My inquisitive side wants to figure it out

I wouldn't because if I go in and delete the transactions it will subtract the amount from ya.

uh oh, There is a rep bank hold up! Hopefully the TMF community won't panic and cause a bank run.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
No, not really.
Here's the latest likes:
Capture.PNG
you can see they are in different days, but in the transactions it seems like they are added like 8 or 10 in one minute. Feels a little bit strange to ask "why my bank is getting bigger" but was just curious ;)

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
No, not really.
Here's the latest likes:
View attachment 6709
you can see they are in different days, but in the transactions it seems like they are added like 8 or 10 in one minute. Feels a little bit strange to ask "why my bank is getting bigger" but was just curious ;)
I know, right? I like having so much cash!

But, it doesn't really feel like it was earned.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Yea, something is wonky ... I'll have to look into this. I'm seeing this for several users

I figured out the glitch. I tried message you MJ, I was denied for reasons I understand ( If anyone could message you, you would be bombarded). I'm not going to say the glitch out here in public, because I have the feeling you would soon need to do a hell of alot of adjusting rep If I mentioned it here in the open. The concept of a fix is simple, I don't know the coding part though.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Damn You guys don't mess around! It is fixed! someone could have easily wrote a script to cause a massive super inflation in the rep bank system.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I figured out the glitch. I tried message you MJ, I was denied for reasons I understand ( If anyone could message you, you would be bombarded). I'm not going to say the glitch out here in public, because I have the feeling you would soon need to do a hell of alot of adjusting rep If I mentioned it here in the open. The concept of a fix is simple, I don't know the coding part though.

Thank you for giving me something to look at. I believe it fixed the problem. Rep has been deposited into your account compliments of the forum as a whole.:)

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Thank you for giving me something to look at. I believe it fixed the problem. Rep has been deposited into your account compliments of the forum as a whole.:)

Does this make you the Chairman of the Federal Fastlane Reserve? PRINTING MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR?! This isn't Zimbabwe...gosh.

I'm pretty sure that is what the U.S Federal Reserve does anyway. Nothing Federal, nothing in reserve.... Just a fancy name for a private bank.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I can't say the new rep system is my favorite, but I'll tell you the sansserif font certainly has me reading things since the change over. Thanks for making that switch.

Some of the responsive css is still a little wobbly, if you need and help with that, holler. I'll put in some pro bono css with for you.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
@MJ DeMarco

Would it be possible to add a "favorite" button where we can save certain threads to our "favorites". I know we can just keep tabs by "watching" them but I think it would be more convenient if we were able to have certain threads that we are "watching" and then a separate section for our "favorite threads".

For instance, there are a couple older threads on here that haven't had responses in awhile that I would like to add to my "favorites" so I can refer back to them. I could add them to my "watched threads" but it would just clutter it up... Maybe I am being too needy, but it's a thought that has come to mind a couple times.

EDIT: I say "clutter it up", meaning... they are old threads that haven't had responses in a long time and who knows when people will dig them up and respond to them... so I would be "watching" for nothing kind of. I would prefer to have threads that people fairly respond to on my "watched threads" list.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I think the new rep system has some intriguing aspects. Rep becomes more valuable with the new layout.

For example, just posted a thread asking for people to share some horror stories about outsourcing. As somewhat of an experiment, I said anyone who shared their story would get some rep.

Now, with the past system, I could give out rep left and right with no real limit outside of rep-ing one person over and over. With the new system, for every rep "dollar" I give it is a rep dollar I lose out of my fastlane bank account. You can't go around giving rep all day and therefore, it holds more value if someone is willing to deplete some of their funds in order to add to yours.

Interesting stuff, I like it.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

2113169[1].jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would it be possible to add a "favorite" button where we can save certain threads to our "favorites".

This is coming ... a bookmark function that you can put all your favorite posts into one central location. It will be a feature available for INSIDERS.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
My first TRANSFER of REP went to @ChickenHawk for her awesome self-publishing thread.
WELL deserved. Just had to say that, even though it's off-subject. Now going in search of what it means to be a Starter, where and what the Speedway is, and how to find out who's following me. Carry on.

Dan Willis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2014
As you can see, some more changes have been ongoing...

#1) SPEED SYSTEM TO END: REP BANK REPLACING IT

1) I've instituted a REP BANK denominated in "Fastlane Dollars" -- effectively immediately the speed system will no longer be used. (I haven't disabled it yet.)

You build your rep bank by participating in the forum. Your bank increases with little actions, such as posting a status update, a new thread, or a new post. (You won't get alerts every time rep is deposited.) What pays at the forum? Participation. However, the huge impact on your bank comes directly from POST LIKES and REP TRANSFERS.

If you like a post, press "Like / Thanks" and that will immediately increase that person's bank. (The old system was cumulative -- speed wouldn't go up for weeks, perhaps months - this is instantaneous.)

If you REALLY like a post and extreme value was provided, press "Rep Transfer" -- you can "pay" someone rep manually and leave them a comment. Please note: Rep Transfer decreases your bank by the amount you transfer.

I thought this new system would be far more effective than the other system that was in place. In fact, I feel it reflects the real world because money exchange in the real world is predicated on VALUE. When value is provided, you get paid handsomely. Now, when a forum contributor provides extreme value, they will also be paid handsomely by virtue of "likes/thanks" and "transfers".

Also in the works, if I can figure it out:
If one of your threads go GOLD, a payment will be made.
If you give an INSIDERS call, a payment can be made.

#2) THE FORUM NOW HAS AN "ABOUT PAGE

The forum now has an about page which is more detailed about the forum's mission, the rules, the commandments, and an in-progress FAQ.

Check it out:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/about/
#3) A FONT CHANGE

As you can see, I've changed the main forum font to a SANS SERIF vs the SERIF. Some people complained about it and after reading for several weeks, I will have to agree that this is more readable.​

#4) IN THE WORKS...

Once the "rep bank" system is confirmed to work (I had to hack an add-on pretty bad to customize it) it might dictate certain permissions at the forum. I haven't decided exactly yet (its a little cart before the horse) but it might include another private forum based on rep only, similar to the Speedway. Maybe even discounts (or freebies) to the INSIDERS forum. If things really go well, who knows, maybe you could buy stuff with it. Again, all of this is determinate on how well it works.

That's all for now ...

Got some other stuff on the burner too..

:cool:

~ MJ

This is awesome! I was just thinking about how slow the speed grows whereas the dollars move quick. Pretty telling if you ask me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

Is there a way to shut off the 'Great thread, Please share!' sidebar that follows you along the left hand side of the page?

I'm on none of the platforms listed, so I couldn't do that even if I wanted to, plus it's distracting. Will renewing my INSIDERS membership rectify this, or is there another way?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
You shouldn't spend everything you earn, just like in real life ...
A mini social experiment. Why not?

Love this question @jon.a ~ because it brings out the "deeper psychological reasons" about why rep $ is so motivating to people.

At the end of the day (from the consumer's prospective, not from MJ or the forum's perspective) does adding to the rep bank become a game, much like.... gasp.... flappy birds?

What is the actual payoff we get from having more "money" in our rep bank?

It's not actual money
It's not actual success in business.

So what is it?
And therefore, why *shouldn't* it be given away? Because.... really.... what *are* you actually giving?

Ego? (your own balance going down)
A boost in confidence to another? (their balance going up)
Your reputation? (your balance in either direction / depending upon the worldview of the person witnessing the change in your balance.)

About a week ago, I transferred all the money I had to another. My balance went to zero.
Today, it is 5 times what it was before that transfer. In just one week.
Are those two things connected?

Just interesting points to ponder :)

Last edited:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
and, one more little interesting tid-bit...

In that week (after I gave all my rep $ away and then saw my rep $ come back to me five fold) I had three or four contributions greater than $100. All but one came from people that are very rep bank rich. The other came from an "old-timer" that hasn't been around lately, recently returned, and most certainly would have been rep bank rich had he been here for the last few years.

What is my point? I don't really know, but I have two ideas...

1) The top "earners" are givers. Which came first? The chicken or the egg? ;)
2) Even if the top "earners" suddenly had a drastic reduction in the "rep bank," would they still have a stellar reputation around here (I suspect that the answer is 'yes') and if so, why?

Okay, now I am really done :)

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Make it where the site keeps track of how much rep bank a person has actually acquired over the time they have been here and when they meet a certain threshold, they get some sort of badge like the "fastlane INSIDERS", "read millionaire fastlane " and "speedway pass" badge.

For example:

User has acquired $1000+ over all = "bronze rep bank badge"
User has acquired $5000+ over all = "silver rep bank badge"
User has acquired $10000+ over all = "gold rep bank badge"
User has acquired $20000+ over all = "platinum rep bank badge"

So for example, if User X has only $500 in their rep bank currently but you see they have a "Silver Rep Bank Badge" you will know that person has actually contributed a lot more than what their rep bank shows. ($5,000 worth)

How I turned my $1,000 Fast lane account into $1,000,000 in 24 months?
And of course, when @JackEdwards accomplishes this, his badge can say "Millionaire Status".

Well, this was fun. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.