The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Rep System, Some Other Things...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hope the chat room is thing to be implemented on the forum!

We had a chat function years ago -- it was disabled due to non-use. While the forum has more traffic now, my assumption is that it will have the same result. I will have to look and see if there is plugin for it that is non intrusive -- I'm willing to test it again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
If things really go well, who knows, maybe you could buy stuff with it
So you have not added an online store where rep bank $ can be used to purchase things, AND the rep bank money is non redeemable for actual currency, correct? Just wanted to clear that up.

This is much better than the speed point IMO, it gives more incentive to post real info!

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I hope the chat room is thing to be implemented on the forum!
As the owner of multiple forums, I personally hate chat rooms. Though they are good for just "chatting" with other members, what the forum is really about is adding valuable content that will be available for years, bot the 3 hours it's in the chat box...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Sorry, I have to ask. Was this a serious question?
Great content is what makes this forum viable. Most magazine websites and large blogs pay their writers, obviously... Not asking to be paid for my / our posts, I was just clearing it up.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I will have to look and see if there is plugin for it that is non intrusive -- I'm willing to test it again.
From my limited experience with it, XenForo is a pretty damn powerful CMS. Maybe a private group chat option could allow for quick open discussion between members who trust each other while hedging against concerns like the product/market theft that has gone on here in the past. Non-permanent/inaccessible content might be a valuable tool there. Maybe a rep-bank purchasable privilege could be access to the chat room?

On a side note, it seems everyone has already begun obsessing over ways to spend their rep-bank funds. Could this be the next Bitcoin?

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
MJ. I hate to be the lone naysayer here on the new rep system, but I have to be honest here and say that I think the old rep system was much better. I know there is no plug-in that can replicate the old rep system, but I really think the rep system back then worked beautifully.

I’m not exactly sure all of the ways the new rep system will manifest itself onto the forum, but to me likes and speed were always two different entities. Likes were merely a way to show agreement with another user or to acknowledge someone who took the time to write something intelligently. Speed + was a way to acknowledge when someone posted something of value.

Under this new system, I worry that combining likes with Rep points will lead people to post more frivolous Facebook type posts that will get a lot of likes. Joke threads, political threads, “F*ck Yeah” posts, etc. Or maybe needling someone with an unpopular position in a clever and mean spirited way.

As a contributor and an end consumer of this forum, I would prefer to consume a smaller amount of high quality posts as opposed to a higher amount of low quality posts (Reddit, Facebook). I think the rep system as is, rewards people for volume more so than quality. It encourages popularity and guruism as opposed to value. It encourages consensus building instead of critical thinking.

I remember when AmyQ first started posting here. She received a lot of Speed + in a short period of time, a reflection that she wrote a lot of valuable posts that people valued. I haven’t seen her post here lately, but when she returns you would be able to tell from her Speed that others here valued her contributions.

With the new rep system I’m not sure what rep will mean. Does someone have a low rep because they haven’t added value, or they don’t post enough, or does it mean they are just generous in spreading their rep around? What will it mean when you see someone with high rep? They talked big and collected a bunch of likes? They never spread their rep around to others?

I also think the lack of speed - will be missed. I can remember when people would post too much low quality content (Omerta) or post things that were disrespectful get Speed -. I think this was a more effective way to not only encourage higher quality posting but also more interaction with the forum.

Hope you don’t mind me saying these things, as above all I respect that you are the “pater familias” here and this forum is your creation. Not just any millionaire would create a place like this and share his resources, knowledge, and his time. But I just wanted to share my opinion.

:tiphat:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
As a contributor and an end consumer of this forum, I would prefer to consume a smaller amount of high quality posts as opposed to a higher amount of low quality posts (Reddit, Facebook).
This is the main thing I agree with. There are already too many members that start needless threads constantly, when reading thread titles you can almost instantly tell the threads started by said users because they are so mindless. When I read starting new threads would be rewarded my first thought was to think of those people.

My first thought to fix this issue was that starting a new thread should cost $ but Im not sure this solves the problem either. You would almost have to weigh your options and calculate your ROI. In the end I dont think it will matter a ton but I would be interested in following the statistics and tracking "threads started per day" going into the future to see the effects

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
@TopChef makes some good points.

Under this new system, I worry that combining likes with Rep points will lead people to post more frivolous Facebook type posts that will get a lot of likes. Joke threads, political threads, “F*ck Yeah” posts, etc.
Very true. A lot of posts may get "likes/thanks" that don't really contribute any value. For example, fairly recently i posted a funny gif pic that got a few likes but in reality how much value did that pic really add? None.

With the new rep system I’m not sure what rep will mean. Does someone have a low rep because they haven’t added value, or they don’t post enough, or does it mean they are just generous in spreading their rep around? What will it mean when you see someone with high rep? They talked big and collected a bunch of likes? They never spread their rep around to others?
Also a valid point.

I do think the new system is cool but if the "rep speed" and "likes" were two separate things I think it would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe "likes/thanks" contribute to ones rep bank. "Oh, this person has a high rep bank? They must be pretty cool and get along well with other forum members." (EDIT: even though they may not have a high rep bank after giving it to other members :oops:)

And then "speed" represents the amount of VALUE the person has added to the forum. "Oh this person has high speed, they must know what they are talking about."

:)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ. I hate to be the lone naysayer here on the new rep system, but I have to be honest here and say that I think the old rep system was much better. I know there is no plug-in that can replicate the old rep system, but I really think the rep system back then worked beautifully.

I’m not exactly sure all of the ways the new rep system will manifest itself onto the forum, but to me likes and speed were always two different entities. Likes were merely a way to show agreement with another user or to acknowledge someone who took the time to write something intelligently. Speed + was a way to acknowledge when someone posted something of value.

Under this new system, I worry that combining likes with Rep points will lead people to post more frivolous Facebook type posts that will get a lot of likes. Joke threads, political threads, “F*ck Yeah” posts, etc. Or maybe needling someone with an unpopular position in a clever and mean spirited way.

As a contributor and an end consumer of this forum, I would prefer to consume a smaller amount of high quality posts as opposed to a higher amount of low quality posts (Reddit, Facebook). I think the rep system as is, rewards people for volume more so than quality. It encourages popularity and guruism as opposed to value. It encourages consensus building instead of critical thinking.

I remember when AmyQ first started posting here. She received a lot of Speed + in a short period of time, a reflection that she wrote a lot of valuable posts that people valued. I haven’t seen her post here lately, but when she returns you would be able to tell from her Speed that others here valued her contributions.

I also think the lack of speed - will be missed. I can remember when people would post too much low quality content (Omerta) or post things that were disrespectful get Speed -. I think this was a more effective way to not only encourage higher quality posting but also more interaction with the forum.

Hope you don’t mind me saying these things, as above all I respect that you are the “pater familias” here and this forum is your creation. Not just any millionaire would create a place like this and share his resources, knowledge, and his time. But I just wanted to share my opinion.

:tiphat:

You makes some valid points however I will have to disagree with some it, at least now that I've had a chance to see how the system works in a live environment.

If I dish out a like (or a thanks) that person has provided value to the forum. Or, that person has made the forum a better place. For example, I got several likes for locking a thread which linked to an MLM -- that makes this a better place to be. Did I provide "value" from an entrepreneurial perspective? Probably not. However, I did provide value from the forum's perspective -- keeping it clean and free from spammers, MLMers, and whatever else.

If someone posts a funny GIF and I LOL and then I dish out a like, they have provided value to my life. I laughed. They made this place better. They enhanced the community. I enjoy their presence. While the "value" might have not been directly business related, or some new epiphany, their contribution was welcomed.

Rep isn't all about "who is giving me the entrepreneurial secret sauce" but "who is an asset to this community".

If someone contributes time and a post, and that post receives LIKEs (regardless of topic/content) then that to me, is a community asset.

In light of "rep" going to stupid posts and what not, I made sure that valued contribution was weighed heavily, and "participation" was weighed weakly.

Here is a list of what creates "REP $" (Currently, could change based on user patterns)

--------------------------- DIRECT VALUE
You Host or Give and INSIDERS Call: $500 (haven't applied these yet.)
Your Thread Gets Golded: $100 (haven't applied these yet.)
Get follower $25 (If you get followed, someone likes your shit!!)
Your thread get's stickied: $25
Rep Transfers: Min $10 (user determined.)
Get like $5
Get thanks $5

----------------------- MISC PARTICIPATION
Complete full profile: $5
Create new thread: $1
Your thread receives a reply: $1
You vote on a poll: $1
Follow a user $1
You post a status update: $1
Upload avatar: $1
Report spam: $1

They talked big and collected a bunch of likes?

If this is happening, then that person is providing value. There's no way to game the system. Value providers will always do better than participators who will always do better than the takers. Theoretically, someone could post 2,000 garbage threads and get 2,000 rep bucks but practically, after 3 or 4 "garbage threads" that person would probably be booted.

Last edited:

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
As jon.a mentioned before, you get some REP $ every time you like a post.

I like the idea of rewarding people for thanking others, but couldn't I just like every single post in some of the gold threads and boost my rep bank very easily?

EDIT: I just liked a couple of posts and didn't get any REP $. Maybe it was a one off when I got some REP$ for liking a post.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like the idea of rewarding people for thanking others, but couldn't I just like every single post in some of the gold threads and boost my rep bank very easily?

Nope. That's been disabled. I also increased the CALL HOST/GIVE reward to $500. Those are truly some big contributions.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
MJ - one of the things I am building on the side with a friend is a way to track and incentivize goal setting and goal achievement. I think it'd be really cool to have some way to set goals and get "money" for achieving them. I don't know exactly how that would work, but for instance maybe if someone starts a progress thread, they can have some sort of selection at the bottom that says "insert goal, insert date goal to be completed" and if they come back here and post that they achieved that goal, they get some "money."

Said another way, when I talked to the VP of a DC fitness/gym chain (that does very well around here) I asked "what was his most effective customer retention program." He said that it was actually an outside business owner who contracts with the gym chain (something called TNT Fitness). He said the key to his high retention and success rate - higher than he had seen anywhere else - was that the owner personally contacted you when you either achieved goals or were looking like you were slacking on goals. For instance, if he or another trainer noticed that your goal was to come to the gym 3 times per week, and it was Saturday and you had only come twice that week, you'd get a phone call.

I think some variant of this would be exceptionally powerful here. It would take the community validation and accountability to the next level. No where else on the internet would you have a community of successful entrepreneurs validate and track your progress as you move from goal to goal (all for very little money compared to programs like Dane's Foundation). In fact, I'd pay more per month than I currently do for INSIDERS access for that kind of accountability and access to successful folks.

Just food for thought!

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
While the "value" might have not been directly business related, or some new epiphany, their contribution was welcomed.

I didn't think about it like that. Good point, MJ.

not%20bad.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Good adjustments

Rep isn't all about "who is giving me the entrepreneurial secret sauce" but "who is an asset to this community".

If someone contributes time and a post, and that post receives LIKEs (regardless of topic/content) then that to me, is a community asset.

In light of "rep" going to stupid posts and what not, I made sure that valued contribution was weighed heavily, and "participation" was weighed weakly.

Here is a list of what creates "REP $" (Currently, could change based on user patterns)

Get like $5
Get thanks $5

Follow a user $1

If this is happening, then that person is providing value. There's no way to game the system. Value providers will always do better than participators who will always do better than the takers. Theoretically, someone could post 2,000 garbage threads and get 2,000 rep bucks but practically, after 3 or 4 "garbage threads" that person would probably be booted.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You makes some valid points however I will have to disagree with some it, at least now that I've had a chance to see how the system works in a live environment.

If I dish out a like (or a thanks) that person has provided value to the forum. Or, that person has made the forum a better place. For example, I got several likes for locking a thread which linked to an MLM -- that makes this a better place to be. Did I provide "value" from an entrepreneurial perspective? Probably not. However, I did provide value from the forum's perspective -- keeping it clean and free from spammers, MLMers, and whatever else.

If someone posts a funny GIF and I LOL and then I dish out a like, they have provided value to my life. I laughed. They made this place better. They enhanced the community. I enjoy their presence. While the "value" might have not been directly business related, or some new epiphany, their contribution was welcomed.

Get like $5
Get thanks $5

Follow a user $1

um...

cough...

wtf?

Starts with the next call?

:)

Just kidding. I don't need the praise.

What ever $$ I earn I plan to give back to the community.

I won't be the high rep bank guy around here for long.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Since the goal is ultimately to give away the rep that you earn... how do I determine who is knowledgeable and who is not? If I am new and see Vigilante has $20 in his account with 3,500 posts, how am I to know he is reputable without that long-standing score?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
and how do you spend this rep ?

If you REALLY like a post and extreme value was provided, press "Rep Transfer" -- you can "pay" someone rep manually and leave them a comment. Please note: Rep Transfer decreases your bank by the amount you transfer.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since the goal is ultimately to give away the rep that you earn... how do I determine who is knowledgeable and who is not? If I am new and see Vigilante has $20 in his account with 3,500 posts, how am I to know he is reputable without that long-standing score?

You shouldn't spend everything you earn, just like in real life ...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Nope. That's been disabled. I also increased the CALL HOST/GIVE reward to $500. Those are truly some big contributions.

Man I is Rich, If that covers old calls, and then my new call In Feb. That is like $1,000 big bones. Then another $100 for the gold thread.

Talk about making money while I sleep.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Not retroactive, but will cover any future calls.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Capture.PNG
I'm having no idea where these "likes" are coming from, no notifications. it usually happens at certain times of the day, all in the same minute. are they self generated somehow?

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
@MJ DeMarco - I'm very impressed with your "coding abilities." Did you do this or did you Elance it? ;)

All of this is custom features for XF, well thought out and implemented. You could have left it as is, but instead you continue to build this into a better product. Kudos to you! :tiphat:

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
View attachment 6706
I'm having no idea where these "likes" are coming from, no notifications. it usually happens at certain times of the day, all in the same minute. are they self generated somehow?
I had the same thing happen.

I looked through old posts, but I didn't see any new likes on the ones I looked at, so not quite sure what is going on. Glitch? Or payment for old likes?

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
So I've managed to miss this thread thread until now, but this is simply fantastic. Additionally, if there are sections of the forum that I either need to pay "fastlane dollars" to get into, or have enough in my bank account, I am that much more motivated to provide enough value to gain access to said sections. And whatever you do, do not allow anyone to buy fastlane dollars with real money. No shortcuts. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.