The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Opportunity For Hands On Experience But Must Sign Disclosure Agreements

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
For context, I am about to graduate from high school in the next few months to start the Mechanical Engineering Program at my University. Back in August I met with a man and had dinner with him who owns a business which is Engineering oriented in Research and Development. The dinner was to learn more about my future options and directions but he had offered me a job. Earlier this morning I was able to go to his business and meet everyone he works with and learn some responsibilities that I would be working through when I am working for him. He is offering to pay me and I am looking to see if I can do some work without a financial incentive for service hours since it is an official company. He asked me today if I had signed his Non-Disclosure Agreement which I said I had not. It is professionally written and I do not want to mistakenly sign this document which could negatively impact my future as an Inventor, Entrepreneur, and Investor in the future.

What type of lawyer would be best to go to where I can have this NDA professionally assessed and understood so I do not jeopardize my future or infringe on my rights?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
For context, I am about to graduate from high school in the next few months to start the Mechanical Engineering Program at my University. Back in August I met with a man and had dinner with him who owns a business which is Engineering oriented in Research and Development. The dinner was to learn more about my future options and directions but he had offered me a job. Earlier this morning I was able to go to his business and meet everyone he works with and learn some responsibilities that I would be working through when I am working for him. He is offering to pay me and I am looking to see if I can do some work without a financial incentive for service hours since it is an official company. He asked me today if I had signed his Non-Disclosure Agreement which I said I had not. It is professionally written and I do not want to mistakenly sign this document which could negatively impact my future as an Inventor, Entrepreneur, and Investor in the future.

What type of lawyer would be best to go to where I can have this NDA professionally assessed and understood so I do not jeopardize my future or infringe on my rights?
*I'm not a lawyer* A contract lawyer would be able to help you with this.

Most NDA's have General Restrictions around use of disclosed information. Confidential information disclosed will need to be returned or destroyed when the NDA terminates (should have a term and termination clause) and cannot be used (likely in perpetuity) for the areas outlined in the restrictions. This should all be part of the NDA.

Realistically, unless you're directly using proprietary knowledge you gained from this company and competing against them or aiding their competitors, it's not that enforceable. There has to be monetary damages to the company that is disclosing the information. Your future ideas are a blend of all knowledge you've gathered from all sources in your life and it is often difficult to prove what is a result of direct disclosure or derived from acquired knowledge.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Also not a lawyer, but one thing to look out for is ownership of IP. I'm a mechanical engineer also and worked for an aerospace company in the past. My employment contract basically stated that the company would own any IP that I come up with regardless of what it is. I'm sure if I invented something completely unrelated like a new type of sock, they wouldn't want ownership and would let me use it.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Also not a lawyer, but one thing to look out for is ownership of IP. I'm a mechanical engineer also and worked for an aerospace company in the past. My employment contract basically stated that the company would own any IP that I come up with regardless of what it is. I'm sure if I invented something completely unrelated like a new type of sock, they wouldn't want ownership and would let me use it.
They make your sign these but they usually aren't totally enforceable. If you come up with your own idea, using your own equipment on your own time the IP waiver doesn't cover it. If you use company time and equipment to come up with something, they own it.
Certain places are also getting rid of non-competes and making them unenforceable which is great for us as well.

For example somewhere I do business just totally made all non-competes unenforceable recently.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.