The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice on a specific idea to make my biz more fastlane-ish

Idea threads

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Hi guys,
since I always read so much good advice here I'm daring to post a problem that bothered me for a while.
Short background: I am a 3D-Designer and I offer 3D models for printing, casting and rendering. Since my work is paid by the hour, this is obviously not fastlane.
So I have come up with a bunch of new ideas to spice up my freelancing career with the magic word of...passive income!

One route that seems particularly appealing is making how-to-videos! People have told me I have a pleasant voice and can explain complicated thingies. The videos could be both paid for and unpaid, think Patreon, or per-Video like @AndyBlack. I know my way around recording, editing and uploading. Also did some tutorials for myself, to document some processes and work on my narrative voice skills. Highly recommended if you want to get to know your own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the talking act, btw.

Now, as some of you may know, many successful artists do this.

But....here is my trouble.
If I start making those videos, it will have certain pro's and con's!

Some of the pro's are obviously:
- more exposure and traffic
- it will show that I know what I'm doing (I promise I do ;) ) and build trust!
- target group comes to my site not only for giving work but also learning
- sharing is caring, and I like helping people achieve stuff

And here's the one big con I dread:
- teaching my competitors and customers how to make me obsolete :inpain: ! Because I do something highly specialized in a particular niche I don't want to give the secrets of my trade away...

A possible workaround for this would be to only show the results and make an image video out of this. But this somehow negates the purpose of earning money with good value passively.

For all who kept reading until now, thanks!
I would be glad to hear your perspective.
If you have other ideas or maybe even experiences I would of course love to hear it, too!

Best wishes,
Gepi

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
3D models for printing, casting and rendering

Nice;
Where you employed previously in this realm or where you a designer for a larger firm? I specialize in manufacturing and have dealt with many different types of designers. 3D printing is now being used widely as a better means of widget making then conventional parts machining/production for specific types of products. (the big name manufacturers have budgets to acquire 200K 3d printers with various molds and material types like polymers to "print" things that need specifically for R&D)

You should focus on new product development and cater your expertise and artistic abilities to up and coming manufacturers maybe that need models renderings on a whim (on the fly) etc

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
Because I do something highly specialized in a particular niche
Interesting barrier to entry. Is it? With teaching and how to steps in a video. Watching and learning. Been on both sides. Learning from the masters of the niche never caused me to take them out. Competition in the niche helps make it grow in new and refreshing directions. Then that group of video watchers that learn one thing because that is what they needed to overcome a barrier. These people usually appreciate what you have done and show some reciprocation even better contributions. Others do very little in the niche and gently move on. What someone learns from someones videos is never lost.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

CoreyinMN

Little Hinges Swing Big Doors
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
At first, I was thinking membership program (i.e. watch over my shoulder as I create the widget).

But then I remembered working with a music producer who was in a slightly similar situation as you.

He had his hourly gig producing music for people. Then, he started posting tutorials on youtube showing people how to produce music.

Here's where it gets interesting...

He started getting requests for the heavy metal drum tracks he was creating in the videos (guitarists like to jam over the top of them and/or drop them into DAW's and make recordings). So he started to sell them as downloads.

He makes them in a variety of styles: speed metal 120 bpm, death metal 80 bpm, Metallica style 140 bpm, etc. (how's that for a niche?)

He was only selling the downloads as an mp3 for like $5 per. $5 was fine but I felt like he was leaving money on the table (plus we needed bigger margins and high average purchase value to run ads).

So, what we did was create different packages with different price points.

The packages were:

$5 Non-commercial (standard quality mp3, non-commercial use - you cannot sell music recorded with this track)
$20 Premium Non Commercial (high-quality wav, midi files, non-commercial)
$50 Commercial (high-quality wav, midi files, you could sell any music you created using these tracks)
CALL FOR QUOTE (usually $500+) - Exclusive (high-quality wav, midi files, commercial PLUS he would take it out of the store and nobody could ever purchase it again).

On top of all that, we made it very clear that he is available for custom projects (which he would quote specific to each project).

For the record, these price points were loosely based on pricing strategies outlined in Perry Marshalls "80/20 Sales & Marketing" and Russel Brunson's "Dot Com Secrets" Value Ladder.

value-ladder-1080x675.jpg

So with that in mind, and without knowing the specifics of your project, I feel like you might be able to do something similar.

Are there any common parts or models in your niche that you could offer? Having well made, fully constrained, clean library parts could be worth paying for.

Maybe offer the minimum they need to get the part made or rendered to place in an assembly (like a parasolid or whatever). You retain the right to resell to others, they can't sell it and/or you maintain some sort of copyright on it.

Maybe you have a basic version of the part but if they want to modify it or discover the secret sauce they have to pay a larger fee.

You could use YouTube videos as your bait, just don't give away the farm.

Not everyone will want to create the part themselves, if you price it the files right, it might be worth it to just purchase it. I get this as an AdWords consultant... some want to learn it themselves, some just want you to do it (I know @andy_black talks about this as well).

And you could offer a membership and a high ticket version of your services for interested parties.

A little rough but I hope that helps.

SIDE NOTE: For what its worth, I have experience in your niche. I was a mechanical draftsman/design assistant for a custom lighting company for 17 years. I went from drawing with pencils and using electric erasers in the early 90's to 2D Autocad and then on to Solidworks in the mid '00's.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Whoa. Some response by @CoreyinMN. Rep+

(I also notice that my name seems hard to tag! Both @Gepi and @CoreyinMN tagged me wrong. I wonder how many other times I've "ignored" people on the forum.)

Anyway, I've found there's the DIY market, the DFY market, and maybe even a DWY market (Done-With-You).

The DIY market doesn't overlap the DFY market much - by definition.

And I find the DIY market is split between those who value their time, and those who don't (aka those who will pay for a course to learn faster, and those that won't).

Hmmm... I've just remembered I chatter a lot about this in this call with a forum member:

In James Shramko's book "Work Less. Earn More" he prefers to think of Chocolate Wheels than Value Ladders. Meaning people are maybe NOT going to go up the ladder from the bottom to the top because they're either a DIY or DFY customer and have no interest in the offerings for the other segment of your customers. James prefers to think of the spokes of a wheel and the customer at the center and all your products/services potentially being sold to them.

My first thought was that if you're the designer, then can't you design once and get the item created many times?

Maybe you get the item printed?

Maybe you license the design and get a royalty every time it's printed? (I know nothing about licensing or royalty btw. Just spit-balling.)

Can you design a collectable ornament and got it 3D-Printed hundreds of times (and sold hundreds of times)?

What if it was one of many collectable ornaments in a series? (Nearly 30 years ago I worked for a company that created "cherished teddies" amongst other things. Those things sold like hot-cakes because people wanted to buy ALL of them.

And because R+R=Profit (Repeat Business plus Referrals), can you create a monthly "subscription box" of some collectable ornament series?

My second thought was to have a go with the videos, but do time-lapsed videos showing the product being 3D-Printed. I've seen some of these in my Facebook feed and they were very compelling (meaning they stopped me dead and I watched right to the end).

PS: I'm still haunted by these:

upload_2018-7-26_23-42-56.png

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Hi guys, thanks to you all for answering! I really appreciate the time you took for writing down your thoughts on this matter.
I will answer to you all chronologically.

@Arun Siva, I graduated as a goldsmith with honors in my state and am an autodidact in the field of everything digital I do, be it 3D, graphics design, illustration.
3D modeling for printing and rendering is my core asset though, on which I focus nearly all of my energy. The niche I target is jewelry and sculptural assets, although I also have created boxes for electronics and gagdets.

Your advise to target up and coming manufacturers is definitely a good approach, I have had successful gigs because of that in the past. Now come to think about it, those were some of the most profitable of all, actually. Although some of them came to me quite coincidentally, either through word of mouth, or, me coldcalling businesses who then in turn needed my help in fulfilling something for the "start-up-label".

I will definitely keep that in mind and think about some other businesses to contact, who could benefit from my knowledge.

@ruzara5 good point. I can think of a few artists who have become very popular with that. And even if they probably bred new competition, as @Andy Black said, people who belong to DIY rarely switch to DFY and vice versa. So one group will benefit by learning new stuff that they would have teached themselves at some point anyway and the other will benefit by seeing your skill in action, get information and possibly the desire to hire :fire:

@rogue synthetic Yes, products is one thing that comes to mind. I already sell some products via the 3D printing marketplace Shapeways, but this is neglectable income and I also did just start this to test what kind of jewelry people would be interested in. So to be really successful with that, I would need to set this up much more professionally. I have zero experience with actually launching a whole coherent jewelry product line and admit I am somewhat bewildered by the thought. Any threads about that or similar experiences on here you can point me to?

@CoreyinMN
Thank you for this profound example, superb! This really got my brain firing away with how to get from tutorials to products.
The book recommendations are noted. Always on the hunt for those.
Are you still working with Solidworks or have you fully switched to helping small businesses with their marketing? The way you helped your fellow musician is really systematic and way beyond the average approach of monetizing, so props to you!

@AndyBlack
Thank you for taking the time. Above I have already pointed out some thoughts I had when you mentioned DIY vs DFY. I think this is a correct analysis, and I will further reduce the chance of sawing through the branch I am sitting on by starting with timelapses of modeling, witout going too much into the technical details, to see how the reactions are and where the interest of people lies. Maybe even some timelapses of printed objects, as you said! Thanks for that, it really gave me some clarity!
For the jewelry line. This is something I am very hesitant. I do not lack ideas, but I am always overthinking some things for too long, as you have pointed out correctly. :blush: So maybe that is my problem, but...
I have a lot of questions when it comes to this one: Where to start, how to get people interested and validate what they like and don't, how to sell outside of online marketplaces and set up your own store, how to decide where to manufacture and how, etc. I know there are a ton of tutorials on all of this online.

The biggest thing I fear is probably that I haven't got a real vision on how my jewelry line should look like so far, and I have no idea if people would buy. So I don't want to waste much money and time if people maybe don't even want my ideas. Now that I write that it all sounds insignificant and I really just feel like I should drop all those excuses and get to learning about it and start...

I really like your idea with the collectibles, though. I started laughing when I saw the teddy-bears and how you are still haunted by them. I once saw a similar thing with little teddy-bears here in Germany, they were in contrast to those you posted all somehow kinky and lewd, but hugely popular! Either way, this is a very good idea.
Thank you! Book recommendation also noted!

:-:-:-:

Such a long post!
I definitely have found some new perspectives in this. My next goal is to set up a Youtube-channel about 3D-printing modeling and upload my first video!
New unique pieces are also in the making and I will sell them online, even if it will be only on Etsy so far.
And of course, contact more prospects and make my website more appealing!

Best wishes,
Gepi

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Yes, products is one thing that comes to mind. I already sell some products via the 3D printing marketplace Shapeways, but this is neglectable income and I also did just start this to test what kind of jewelry people would be interested in. So to be really successful with that, I would need to set this up much more professionally. I have zero experience with actually launching a whole coherent jewelry product line and admit I am somewhat bewildered by the thought. Any threads about that or similar experiences on here you can point me to?

I can't give you any specific advice on this because I am unfamiliar with your market. A question might be helpful to get some wheels turning. When people pay you for your 3D design services, what are they doing with the fruits of your labor? What's the difference between showing up to work at the factory and owning it?

Other than that, I'll second @Andy Black 's recommendation for James Schramko's Work Less, Make More, and throw in another for John Warrilow's Built to Sell.

Brainstorming the T and the S in your CENTS framework might help you dig out some new opportunities you haven't thought of.

CoreyinMN

Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
Are you still working with Solidworks or have you fully switched to helping small businesses with their marketing? The way you helped your fellow musician is really systematic and way beyond the average approach of monetizing, so props to you!

I am all in with marketing these days. About a year ago I was approached to work on a design project that paid very well (but hourly and sporadic). The money would have been very nice and my wife would've been happier (she didn't like me turning it down). BUT after thinking long and hard about it, I just couldn't get excited to do it. It felt like I would be going backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I use to LOVE drafting and designing. I could get into some serious flow states. :) But marketing has become my first love.

I am in negotiations to do some Google Ads work with upstart 3D CAD Saas company right now though. I am excited for the opportunity to be marrying these two worlds together.

OH, and it is great to hear those ideas "really got your brain firing away." Glad to help!

CoreyinMN

Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jun 25, 2018
Minnesota
Oh and I was thinking about your jewelry venture. I don't know the entire background on why you chose this niche and haven't done the research you have (It sounds like you are uncertain about it as well). But I almost feel like you could provide more value in other niches. Like with inventor related, small business or unsexy industrially related niches (maybe rapid prototyping, low volume manufacturing, etc).

I feel like there must be some underserved market out there: Small manufacturers, machine shops or ??? who need help but do not need to hire a full-time CAD designer.

One example, I work with a 3D Printing Service. They get calls from people who are looking to 3D print something but do not have a model (and the particular service I work with doesn't want to offer that service or make designers mad by recommending one over the other).

I do see some decent search volume and businesses running ads for people searching for these services. I even found a bunch of Fiverr gigs offering these services -> Access to This Page Has Been Blocked. I wonder if there is something there?

Another example, as virtual and augmented reality industries grow, people are going to need and/or want to make 3D models/renderings for projects. Kind of like how social media spawned a bunch of image and posting related services (design pickle, Canva, 99dollarsocial come to mind). Could be something there too.

Brett Beckwith

Meat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 4, 2018
Iowa
Whoa. Some response by @CoreyinMN. Rep+

(I also notice that my name seems hard to tag! Both @Gepi and @CoreyinMN tagged me wrong. I wonder how many other times I've "ignored" people on the forum.)

Anyway, I've found there's the DIY market, the DFY market, and maybe even a DWY market (Done-With-You).

The DIY market doesn't overlap the DFY market much - by definition.

And I find the DIY market is split between those who value their time, and those who don't (aka those who will pay for a course to learn faster, and those that won't).

Hmmm... I've just remembered I chatter a lot about this in this call with a forum member:

In James Shramko's book "Work Less. Earn More" he prefers to think of Chocolate Wheels than Value Ladders. Meaning people are maybe NOT going to go up the ladder from the bottom to the top because they're either a DIY or DFY customer and have no interest in the offerings for the other segment of your customers. James prefers to think of the spokes of a wheel and the customer at the center and all your products/services potentially being sold to them.

My first thought was that if you're the designer, then can't you design once and get the item created many times?

Maybe you get the item printed?

Maybe you license the design and get a royalty every time it's printed? (I know nothing about licensing or royalty btw. Just spit-balling.)

Can you design a collectable ornament and got it 3D-Printed hundreds of times (and sold hundreds of times)?

What if it was one of many collectable ornaments in a series? (Nearly 30 years ago I worked for a company that created "cherished teddies" amongst other things. Those things sold like hot-cakes because people wanted to buy ALL of them.

And because R+R=Profit (Repeat Business plus Referrals), can you create a monthly "subscription box" of some collectable ornament series?

My second thought was to have a go with the videos, but do time-lapsed videos showing the product being 3D-Printed. I've seen some of these in my Facebook feed and they were very compelling (meaning they stopped me dead and I watched right to the end).

PS: I'm still haunted by these:

View attachment 20369

The first thing that popped into my head was the 3D printing time-lapsed video, or even making the 3D model in CAD (or w/e service you use). I remember when I was younger I would always watch the 10-15min sped-up video of someone doing a photoshop drawing: it's very entertaining to watch. A great way to make simple income of YouTube videos, or make these videos accessible on a website by a subscription based service.

However, you may be better off using the videos on YouTube as a traffic source to gain popularity, which you then use to direct towards a paid-website with other things like what @CoreyinMN was suggesting.

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Ok, guys, thanks again for all the valuable input! I just love this forum.

In this post I will write about my experience since first sharing my story with you and maybe even give insight into your own way of growing yourself (especially those at the beginning of a similar journey.)

It's been a month now.
What has changed?

First, I did way more cold-calling than ever. I ultimately realized that the first thing to do, to be able to get on with my plans and design office, I needed to make more money. Simple, right?
The best way to do that was to find more and better(!) clients.

But this wasn't the only thing.

I also purchased the basic course from the company with the catchy name doubleyourfreelancing.com, as I found the free material was so insanely fitting to my situation, I gave the paid one a try.
This also was a direct result of the insight @Andy Black shared and something many people have written here.
You can either try to put everything together yourself or find someone who did it all, and then copy the h*** out of it.

For me, this was a very good decision. I applied his methods of presenting myself as a partner and design consultant and solving the underlying problems and I got new clients, better clients and overall heightened my value and self-awareness on how to go into client meetings.

So I agree, you have to invest in yourself, because this really pays off. Just beware to invest in the right things at the right time and look at unbiased reviews!

I did not get on with the videos so much, but I improved my animation skills and created cool new designs, which was also a huge selling point (remember, value first :D )

In the end, the decision to find more and better clients lead me to narrow down my client base to the most ideal ones. This directly resulted in much more satisfying communication and ultimately business agreements.
Now I have some jobs in the pipeline and I know much better in what direction to head into.
My next steps will be to create more designs and build up a really outstanding portfolio.
And I think if I get this done right, the videos, tutorials, assets etc. will come naturally.

But all this was a result of talking with you guys and really thinking hard about: what is the problem, which when solved, would make all the other stuff easier? (Something I think I heard first from Tim Ferris) And well, for me: create more value and get better clients.

So a huge thank you for all your insights. I deviated quite a bit from some of the plans stated above - but I really gained more clarity through discussing it.
And to quote Heraklit here: "Panta rhei" (Everything flows)

If you have any questions please ask away, I would love giving back if I can.

Well, that's it for today,
best wishes,
Gepi

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads