The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Unfortunate early success as a Value Faker

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
"Keep your friends close and your enemy's toaster." - Ricky

Last January my brother gave me a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad and it changed how I saw the world in many good and bad ways. My views on money were thankfully changed and I began seeking the adrenaline rush that is entrepreneurship. However, as a budding 17-year-old entrepreneur I was quickly the prey of several "gurus" who preached many poor mentalities/practices such as value faking, copy paste businesses, and passion following.

Fast forward to August of last year and I decided my business of the month (after a couple drop shipping ventures didn't work out) was to sell mediocre books written by virtual assistants on Amazon. This is where I, unfortunately, found monetary success. Ignore the one-star reviews, sloppy editing, and uninspiring junk I was contributing to the Amazon store and I had a "great business". I was earning $600-$1,200 a month off of a few books with zero effort on my part.

Yet something didn't feel right.

I've always considered myself a pretty decent kid and I knew what I was doing was fake and against my moral compass. For every one person that found my books useful, there were 10 who returned them or rightfully called them crap. This really bugged me because I've always wanted to be a "real entrepreneur". Someone who creates something amazing, or makes the world a different (and hopefully better) place. In January of this year, I slowly started to realize none of these so-called "real entrepreneurs" got rich selling shitty books on Amazon or selling the same 2 products to the same 10 people.

It wasn't until I read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted that I finally understood what it meant to be an entrepreneur. Someone who builds a product people actually WANT because it provides VALUE. However, the greatest lesson my month long journey into this forum and MJ's books have taught me so far is to not be afraid of some hard work, and don't action fake!

Since reading the books and browsing the forum I've cleansed Amazon of my crap books, and completely edited and rereleased the books that were pretty decent to make them provide real value for people.

I'm looking forward to keeping people posted on my progress and helping out as much as I can in this group, thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
I have the opposite problem. I want to release a book that gives value. But I feel like everything I put down, someone has already said before. How do I know I'm giving value?

For example, I'm thinking of releasing a book about changing careers and still getting a 30% or more raise. I'm done it twice myself but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. Hence, I've researched and talked to multiple people who I admire that have also done it. I taught some of what I know to close friends and they've had success as well.

I still feel like a fraud every time I write though.

IlyaP

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
504%
Aug 25, 2016

Last January my brother gave me a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad and it changed how I saw the world in many good and bad ways. My views on money were thankfully changed and I began seeking the adrenaline rush that is entrepreneurship. However, as a budding 17-year-old entrepreneur I was quickly the prey of several "gurus" who preached many poor mentalities/practices such as value faking, copy paste businesses, and passion following.

Fast forward to August of last year and I decided my business of the month (after a couple drop shipping ventures didn't work out) was to sell mediocre books written by virtual assistants on Amazon. This is where I, unfortunately, found monetary success. Ignore the one-star reviews, sloppy editing, and uninspiring junk I was contributing to the Amazon store and I had a "great business". I was earning $600-$1,200 a month off of a few books with zero effort on my part.

I've always considered myself a pretty decent kid and I knew what I was doing was fake and against my moral compass. For every one person that found my books useful, there were 10 who returned them or rightfully called them crap. This really bugged me because I've always wanted to be a "real entrepreneur". Someone who creates something amazing, or makes the world a different (and hopefully better) place. In January of this year, I slowly started to realize none of these so-called "real entrepreneurs" got rich selling shitty books on Amazon or selling the same 2 products to the same 10 people.

It wasn't until I read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted that I finally understood what it meant to be an entrepreneur. Someone who builds a product people actually WANT because it provides VALUE. However, the greatest lesson my month long journey into this forum and MJ's books have taught me so far is to not be afraid of some hard work, and don't action fake!

Since reading the books and browsing the forum I've cleansed Amazon of my crap books, and completely edited and rereleased the books that were pretty decent to make them provide real value for people.

I'm looking forward to keeping people posted on my progress and helping out as much as I can in this group, thanks!
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum!

I can 100% relate to what you went through.

A while back I was making money with Amazon affiliate sites, and while most of them were more useful that the stuff other people were putting out, it still didn't feel right. But I was blinded by the money (and I was 17/18. Can I use my age as an excuse? No? Yeah, I didn't think so:rofl:). I knew what I was doing wasn't super helpful, but I continued because "people will use someone's site so they might as well use mine, right?"

Not the best mindset to have, don't you think?

Thankfully MJ was there to set me on a better path, and while it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows, now I feel good about the services I provide & can sleep soundly at night knowing that I have my customer's interests at heart.

Glad you had the same realization and thank you for the share! :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have the opposite problem. I want to release a book that gives value. But I feel like everything I put down, someone has already said before. How do I know I'm giving value?

For example, I'm thinking of releasing a book about changing careers and still getting a 30% or more raise. I'm done it twice myself but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. Hence, I've researched and talked to multiple people who I admire that have also done it. I taught some of what I know to close friends and they've had success as well.

What if you’re doing people a disservice by not putting your advice out there?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Nice intro. Thanks for sharing.

Keep your hands off my toaster.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Glad to hear you dropped the bro-marketing my friend! Welcome aboard!

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal

It sounds like you certainly have more than enough relevant experience to write a book on the subject. There are people out there who'd love the help and you definitely have more experience than most when it comes to it. If you want further validation maybe post to a relevant Facebook group about your idea and see how receptive they are to it.

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum!

I can 100% relate to what you went through.

A while back I was making money with Amazon affiliate sites, and while most of them were more useful that the stuff other people were putting out, it still didn't feel right. But I was blinded by the money (and I was 17/18. Can I use my age as an excuse? No? Yeah, I didn't think so:rofl:). I knew what I was doing wasn't super helpful, but I continued because "people will use someone's site so they might as well use mine, right?"

Not the best mindset to have, don't you think?

Thankfully MJ was there to set me on a better path, and while it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows, now I feel good about the services I provide & can sleep soundly at night knowing that I have my customer's interests at heart.

Glad you had the same realization and thank you for the share! :)

Haha I feel where you're coming from. It shocks me how few people get this moral dilemma and continue putting out bro-marketing junk but I'm glad we both saw past it and decided to put it behind us. Keep at it, let me know how your projects are going. I'm thinking of putting my camera experience to the test by helping out some local businesses create marketing material.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...