The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first post - it's time, finally

bweb1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2019
I've spent the last 2 days reading through the forums and I've pulled so many quotes from posts and saved them in my evernote and really have been motivated and my mindset has changed drastically. I decided I needed to make an account and introduce myself.

I am 36, married with no kids. As of 8 weeks ago, I am unemployed. Was let go from my job. So right now I am in a reset phase. Currently I am doing Uber, Lyft, Postmates, things like that, to bring in some (and I stress some) income to support my wife and I. My wife also works, and she will be going into her career in 6 weeks so our income situation will drastically change then. I've started submitting proposals on Upwork also, hoping that I can land something that will get my foot in the door with that platform.

My desire is never to go back to a 9-5 job. I've been doing it for 20 years, and I don't think I've ever once enjoyed it. It's always just been a paycheck. So my wife and I are using this as an opportunity to reset and get me bringing in income doing things that I actually enjoy doing.

But the problem that I consistently run into is discipline. Discipline with changing habits, discipline with eating better, discipline with cutting out drinks. I can't ever seem to get anything to stick. And the one thing that has always stood out as I read through the forums as a unifying theme of people that are successful is discipline. When I am truly happiest in life it is when I am productive. Waking up early, accomplishing tasks, reading, doing keto, things like that. But I can't ever get it to stick. I am very hot or cold, and right now I am cold. I have some beers one night and then for the next couple of nights that's my only desire, even though in the back of my head I know I should be doing something else.

I don't know how to end this post. Because now I am rambling. But that's me. Any advice on discipline is greatly appreciated. Any advice to a first time freelancer/self-employed person is also greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Welcome!
Uber, Lyft,
Two ride hustles at the same time?
Damn...its tough.

Why not just concentrate on one riding app, if you have to? I'm sure Uber and Lyft covers pretty much the same areas, so there's no need to subscribe to both to widen your client outreach.

I've started submitting proposals on Upwork also, hoping that I can land something that will get my foot in the door with that platform.
What skills are you offering services in? Any results with that?

But the problem that I consistently run into is discipline. Discipline with changing habits, discipline with eating better, discipline with cutting out drinks. I can't ever seem to get anything to stick. And the one thing that has always stood out as I read through the forums as a unifying theme of people that are successful is discipline. When I am truly happiest in life it is when I am productive. Waking up early, accomplishing tasks, reading, doing keto, things like that. But I can't ever get it to stick. I am very hot or cold, and right now I am cold. I have some beers one night and then for the next couple of nights that's my only desire, even though in the back of my head I know I should be doing something else.
Since you are doing freelancing, your clients will already serve as a source of discipline, or the will to get things done.

At least, that's for me.

Knowing that you have to meet deadline by your merits, by your skills, regardless of your weaknesses, will get your feet up.

Maybe its the excitement of providing value to someone, or the fear of having your Upwork ratings cut to pieces by a crap job...having an actual deadline or aim of service keeps the feedback mechanism loop working.

Do your best to keep following up on prospects and repeat customers, if you can get a few of them.

bweb1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2019
Welcome!

Two ride hustles at the same time?
Damn...its tough.

Why not just concentrate on one riding app, if you have to? I'm sure Uber and Lyft covers pretty much the same areas, so there's no need to subscribe to both to widen your client outreach.

What skills are you offering services in? Any results with that?

Since you are doing freelancing, your clients will already serve as a source of discipline, or the will to get things done.

At least, that's for me.

Knowing that you have to meet deadline by your merits, by your skills, regardless of your weaknesses, will get your feet up.

Maybe its the excitement of providing value to someone, or the fear of having your Upwork ratings cut to pieces by a crap job...having an actual deadline or aim of service keeps the feedback mechanism loop working.

Do your best to keep following up on prospects and repeat customers, if you can get a few of them.

Thanks Lee. So I run two apps because I do daytime driving and I get more of a consistent flow of calls. I open both, take a call from one and turn the other off while I'm driving. Then turn them both back on. That's my routine for the day. It works so far.

I just was approved on Upwork yesterday. I've submitted three proposals but haven't heard anything yet. My skills are social media management, video editing, tech support. I am focusing on social media management though.

Daniela101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jun 10, 2019
Toronto, Canada
That's my struggle too! Discipline is hard when you are free-spirited. Some people can change overnight, for others it's a process. Maybe start with little things...Write down something for the next day, read it as soon as you wake up, as far as your goals or thing you want to achieve for the day. Join the 5am club. Wake up at 5am~ 20 mins exercise, 20 mins reading, 20 minutes mapping out your day...Remove temptations...Little steps, don't beat yourself up, trying to better yourself or start on a new path is never easy.

bweb1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2019
That's my struggle too! Discipline is hard when you are free-spirited. Some people can change overnight, for others it's a process. Maybe start with little things...Write down something for the next day, read it as soon as you wake up, as far as your goals or thing you want to achieve for the day. Join the 5am club. Wake up at 5am~ 20 mins exercise, 20 mins reading, 20 minutes mapping out your day...Remove temptations...Little steps, don't beat yourself up, trying to better yourself or start on a new path is never easy.

Thank you! 5am club. Is that a group on this forum?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You have people in your car, so let the know what you do. Have some cards made up. Maybe put up a little sign in your car.

Daniela101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jun 10, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Thank you! 5am club. Is that a group on this forum?
It's actually a book, but most millionaires/billionaires wake up at 5.

Ilya C

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 6, 2019
Hello! I don't really have any proven advice on how to improve discipline, but meditation helps me. Regular meditation helps more.

It's also useful to do things one at a time, for example try dropping one bad habit instead of changing everything at once. Or try adding one good habit. They say a month is enough, but I haven't documented my progress against that, so can't say for sure.

Use positive self-talk, don't be too harsh on yourself. When I feel too lazy to do stuff, I try to put it into perspective. Consciously we live in a moment, but those moments stack up into years of going towards your goal or away from it. So remind yourself about the process. That's just a suggestion, but it works for me.

And welcome :)

D

Deleted60066

Self-discipline is like a muscle. It can be trained to become stronger.

How do you train self-discipline? You pick something (preferably something you don't like/want to do) and do it anyway, every SINGLE day.

Cold showers, exercising, reading, strict diet, etc.

Anything that causes you to groan at the thought of it, and by doing it, will build your self-discipline.

Having strong self-discipline will radiate into other areas of your life such as business, relationships, etc.

If you are trying to build discipline, you can try the 75Hard challenge by Andy Friscella. Listen to the podcast episode first, however.

In addition, I strongly suggest you quit drinking and start exercising. It will help you sleep better, increase energy for the next day, and make you more productive.

If you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...