The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My experience going to a Timeshare sales presentation

Marketing, social media, advertising

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Watched the fake guru video. It is simply excellent. I think it's the quality of the editing and the artistic presentation that made it successful, among other things.

Let me share my own experience of attending a Wyndham hotel "timeshare" presentation maybe you make a future video about them?

After seeing people in the street offering a free gift in exchange to attending a presentation, I went out of curiosity, to learn more about sales. Man... They take people from the street and try to sell them a product for up to $30,000. Not even kidding. Effectively, they take all your vacations that you will take over the rest of your life, put a price tag on it, and then offer to take all those vacations through their network, but pay 2-3 times less. This makes sense in theory, but there is nothing requiring them to provide the same amount of value — which they don't: based on my Internet research, their network appears to mostly have crappy hotels in third-grade destinations, and the good ones featured in the marketing materials are always full. In the end you'll end up taking the crappy vacation, because you will get tired of trying to reach them on the phone to cancel, which may take you 30 calls. So in the end you just give up and take the vacation, and you keep doing it, always thinking that, hey, I had pay for it. Until you decide to cancel, and realize that you contractually can't, without paying even more.

Here is how the presentation went. First the guy comes out & says that he's supposed to give us a boring 5-hour presentation in exchange for a free certificate that we all came for, but because he's being nice, he'll shorten it to 90 minutes. Then he showed a video, how other people had doubts about the program but changed their mind. Then he asked people in the audience, how much they had spent on vacation last year. Obviously fake participants were shouting crazy amounts such as "Rome, $5000" or "Paris, $7000" — it was obviously fake, but I could still feel an effect on me.

Then he explained the details of the program. He was still talking in very conditional terms — "if you were to buy it", etc. Then the light goes down, light goes up, and he suddenly changes tone and starts speaking in terms of when you buy the program, not if.

I stayed till the end to make sure I got the full experience. Since I stayed there, one representative came and sat with me. I carefully studied their offer, but after computing in my head, something wasn't adding up. I have a Math Ph.D. and experience working in finance, so I was trying to go over the way they make a profit, and it just wasn't making sense: what they were offering didn't just seem too good to be true, it was impossible. So I started asking questions and, indeed, there was some fine print about me paying actually a lot more money than they explained, and with that the numbers started to add up. For example, they advertise that for $7,000 you get a timeshare that gives you minimum points allowing you a dozens so-so hotel nights per year — forever. That would not make sense, even at $700/year you will probably live for longer than a decade, and the hotels they advertise cost more. But in fact, after paying $7,000 you'd still be paying for those mandatory points, say, another $2,000/year.

Just to give some perspective, it's not uncommon for people to buy a timeshare with, say, $7,000 upfront, spend another few grand on regular payments while barely using it, then pay $2,000 on eBay just to get rid of it. That was the going price on eBay for those timeshares: negative $2000, considering the mandatory ongoing payments and the actual value of the resort accommodations offered. So that's the market value of the product they are selling. In fact, the market value is probably even lower (more negative) because some people still manage to cancel for free, by threatening court action etc.; only those who give up and decide to resell their timeshare on eBay pay 2 grand for it — probably reselling to someone who is an undercover representative of the company itself.

Since I was staying, the guy brought another guy and they started playing the "bad cop — good cop" technique: the new guy started yelling at me for wasting their time, which cost a lot as they are so rich and successful and busy, while the other one was trying to be soft and nice and to find ways to justify my behavior. I explained the numbers back to them and why it made no sense — I still felt the pressure to explain my actions — and they agreed that for a loser such as myself, who couldn't afford to spend even $20-30k per year on vacation, their program indeed had little to offer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This post was extracted from this thread...

It was bit of a side tangent that should stand on its own.

That said, having to sit through a timeshare presentation sounds like the ultimate of suffocation. And the guys that sell it are the worst "Jordan Belfort" types, at least when Jordan was in the business of scamming.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Timeshares are horrible. I'd never buy one of them.

My nephew worked for a guy in a flooring business. The guy did well in that business and used his connections to find houses to buy, rehab and rent-out.

As I understand the story, he had pretty many houses. I don't remember how many but he was essentially done. He and his wife divorced and he had enough houses left to live off the rental income and she took the business.

He realized ebay had a section for timeshares so he started buying timeshares. I think he assumed he'd be able to pump the cash through faster.

At first he was able to get some rented and he was able to get some ok dates. He saw that as a positive and sold all of his houses and went all in on timeshares. I was told he had 57 or 58 timeshares. At first whenever he couldn't get one rented, he would just use it as his office for a week and suck up the loss. He kept trying to get it going, but failed.

Ultimately, despite them promising that he could get good dates, he couldn't get the dates he wanted and couldn't rent-out whatever the crappy units and non-prime dates he was stuck with. The last I heard before he died was he lost his a$$ on it all.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
The math on it is pretty straightforward. When they try to frame the price/value proposition, and use the technique of having the prospect offer # estimates, they are expecting a certain range, which the salesman uses to inflate the value proposition. I pulled out actual numbers of what I spent, and there was no comparison and no way to make it worth buying the points, putting aside the facts that you can a) buy them for pennies on the dollar on the used market, b) have annual fees that are unpredictable, and c) force you into limited dates and properties.

They push the fact that you get to "own" an asset that can be passed down, but when you go back to the simple calculation of annual fees divided by hotel nights, that alone makes it not worth it, regardless of the price of the actual points. You're prepaying for nights you may or may not be able to use at rates that are at or above what you'd get on the market, except you're committed for life and at limited dates/locations.

Best way to experience these is to buy the one-offs on sites like redweek from those that got suckered into it, there are decent deals to be had.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I plan to make enough money to buy vacation homes in the cities we like to visit.

Then will airbnb them out when we aren't there.

That's how you get paid to vacation.

(and maybe residency while I'm at it...)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.