The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meditation and Fastlaners ? Do you practice it ? Looking for insights please :)

AchievingDreams

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 30, 2015
Hi Tribe,

I am looking to optimize myself to increase my productivity.

I have come across mediation as a great Tool to get into your best, many succesful people are using it.

I am not really into all the "Wooza wooza" new age hype, but they are way to many successful people that i admire that are into meditation.

Do you guys practice it ? What are the main benefits ?

Would you guys recommend me a great and efficient source to learn the techniques without the BS, no "namaste" and "peace and love" gurus please;)

Many thanks in advance for sharing your inputs

cheers

david

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I speak to myself through meditation. When thought activity quiets down enough, I get communications through words or symbols. That little voice inside of me is ready to be heard once the exterior noise is reduced.

Witchdoc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 14, 2015
I have been using headspace a quick google search you should find the website, In a nut shell its a former Buddhist monk who made a fortune off this app/website. I find the main benefits are increased focus and less dwelling on petty thoughts. let me know if you have any questions

AchievingDreams

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 30, 2015
I have been using headspace a quick google search you should find the website, In a nut shell its a former Buddhist monk who made a fortune off this app/website. I find the main benefits are increased focus and less dwelling on petty thoughts. let me know if you have any questions
Many thanks, I am having a look at it, cheers :)

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I do it as well. I've done it on and off for years, so I'd still consider myself a novice.

Does it help me? I think so... maybe. But a lot of people I really respect swear by it, and it only takes 10 dang minutes of my morning, so hey why not?

From what I understand, it's all about being curious how your own mind works. Don't chase a particular feeling, or get fixated on achieving something (attachment to non-attachment?). Just quiet down and observe everything without judging it.

Again, I'm no expert.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
I started doing a simple one-minute meditation (YouTube video) as a part of Hal Elrod's The Miracle Morning. I believe it has a small effect on me. I feel a bit more relaxed and focused, and the minute is definitely worth it. Maybe it's some kind of "placebo effect" - that I just feel better because I crossed meditation off my list and not because of the meditation itself.

Last week I went to the beach and did a whopping five minutes of meditation. The relaxing music (also a YouTube video) combined with fresh Atlantic Ocean waves made me feel like I was in heaven for a little while.

A few days ago, I also came across a new site called Zen12. The free version gives you access to a very relaxing and focus-bringing 12 minute clip. You are supposed to listen to it and relaxed, but I did it while doing one of the most stressful tasks in my business, and it really calmed me down.

Just give it a few shots. It takes time to get used to sitting still for x amount of minutes, and it is normal if your mind starts wandering around. Mine is all over the place, but getting better every week with practice.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I speak to myself through meditation. When thought activity quiets down enough, I get communications through words or symbols. That little voice inside of me is ready to be heard once the exterior noise is reduced.
Good to hear. This is exactly what happens for me, always thought it was just me being a bit strange...

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Gotta say that meditation is one of the hardest habits to keep up for me, I know all the benefits etc,... but once I sit down, I'm starting to feel agitated and like "I really need to do something right now."

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I usually do all kinds of different meditations, there all over the place. I suppose I just get bored doing it the same way, and like diversity.

AchievingDreams

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 30, 2015
just finished the book miracle morning, good stuff... I am using guided meditation from honest guys channel on youtube. I am just sticking with it now as a new habit...

cheers

Alexander A.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 27, 2015
I like to go for a walk first thing in the morning.
It may not sound as meditation, but if you focus on the sounds, the sunrise, etc. It works really well.

A really good book that talks about daily meditation is "Practicing the power of now" by Eckhart Tolle, in fact,just listening to the audiobook version is meditative by itself.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
research "Transcendental Meditation"

The Beatles did it, Howard Stern does it(25 years now steady) and many other well known successfull people...Not saying that is the basis to make your decision though.

Its 20 minutes twice a day....

close your eyes, and repeat a mantra in your mind. Dont force it. your mind will wander, then gently bring it back to the mantra. YOur mind will eventually slow down with its inner chatter, and as the mind slows down and relaxes, so does your body....deep relaxation.

YOu will be astounded with how easy it is and how relaxed and clear your mind is. You come out of the meditation very relaxed but not tired. A very clean, relaxed energy.

your life will improve, your relationships will improve. Everything will improve.

Just stick to it....consistency, like with anything, is key.

take a few hours to read up on it.... well worth it....

No need to spend on the course in order to get your own "personal mantra"....dont bother. YOu can find mantras online and direction online for transcendental meditation....

goood luck

croman

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Feb 23, 2015
Meditation is great. At the core, it's simply taking the time to engage fully in the moment and respect what's coming up in your body.
I downloaded the calm.com app for my phone and went through the free "7 Days of Calm" program, which introduces you to different things to focus on during your meditation.

After that, I simply did 20 minute meditations, implementing the stuff I had learned in the free class.

I definitely recommend it in some capacity for your morning routine anyway!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Meditation is very effective for me, but its really hard for me to keep up with.

When I do it, I focus on positive things that I want to happen in the day, or think about past positive experiences that I'd like to repeat.

Its amazing how effective it is.

So how often do I do it? maybe once a month.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
To cleanse your mind each day, meditate for the same amount of time you shower.

If you don't take a daily shower, start doing that first. :)

Aaron237

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 31, 2015
I do, but know there are many ways to do it and some might fit you better than others.

I first learned meditation as a teenager and I hated it because it was poorly explained. I learned again in university and it blew me away because it was a much better introduction.

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
What are the main benefits ?
I find that I am more steady and focused. My mind is quieter (less chatter, random thoughts) and I can move through the day with purpose.

Check out Omvana, it is excellent. The six phase meditation is probably the best guided meditation that I have come across so far. Its free on Youtube if you want to try it before downloading the app.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I haven't in a long time.

The most productive and successful period of my lifetime was when I was frequently meditating. Food for thought

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Yes, I meditate every day.

It keeps me real.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Not meditation but hypnosis which can be similar at times depending on what products or techniques you use.

I found an interesting site a few years back selling these 20-30 minute audio hypnosis sessions on just about every topic and phobia you could have. For $15 it was worth a try to ease my flying phobia and I found I liked their work aside from just the phobia products. It was useful to just have something relaxing to listen to at times, especially when flying or on the train (you can't drive with them on obviously)

That initial $15 purchase turned into buying something like 70-80 of their products and while not all of them are used it's nice to have a selection on the IPod/IPhone anytime I need it.

The site is simply called Hypnosis Downloads, and I'd recommend it as long as you don't have an aversion to English/Scottish accents.

I find it funny how the individual downloads show how many times they've been purchased-

"Dental Phobia" 614 purchases, understandable
"Fear of the Phone" 617 purchases, er what?

I'm still waiting on "Fear of Clowns" to show a score but "Fear of Others Vomiting" is rolling along at 223 purchases.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
It is more common than one would expect. Especially with younger people who have grown up texting...
I know, I learnt that through checking that site.

I found it a bit like a game really, look at the product name and try and guess the number of downloads. Obviously the weight loss/dieting ones were among the top sellers. But others could be all over the place and wildly different from what I'd guess. I wouldn't have picked Phone to be even with Dentist.

Hard sales data > One Person's Perception. No contest.

Marlena

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jul 30, 2016
I have been using headspace a quick google search you should find the website, In a nut shell its a former Buddhist monk who made a fortune off this app/website. I find the main benefits are increased focus and less dwelling on petty thought/heass. let me know if you have any questions

I was also using Headspace for a while and I think it is a very useful tool. Another thing that might help would be joining some meditation groups.

I got into meditation few years ago, when one of my friends pointed me out that I seemed to be disconnected from reality (because of too many thoughts) and recommended me meditation. That was one of the best advices I got in my life.

For half a year I was not meditating at all (definitely need to start again... ) but when I was doing it, I was sitting in a place where nobody could interrupt me in front of an empty wall, breathing deeply. Then, when some thoughts were coming to my mind, I was just letting them go. Around 10-15 minutes every day.

After few weeks I noticed that it became more easy for me to get rid of useless thoughts and emotions during the day (for example when something made me angry, it became easy for me to erase this feeling) and I became more aware of what was going on around me.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Since I started seriously doing meditation, it's no longer optional for me. Now I NEED it to be stable, otherwise I dive into a vortex of madness

nichiseven

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 1, 2016
Yes. I'm greedy with it. Half an hour in the morning to help me settle into my routine for the day and half an hour to an hour at night to help me destress so I can relax and unwind without carrying anything over into tomorrow. It helps strengthen my focus and encourages clarity of thought.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I used to a lot. I no longer do. When I did i was performing at world-class levels. Hmm maybe I should start up again

G

GuestUserX09

It's definitely hard for me to spend too long meditating but I do at least 1 minute in the morning and it's tremendously helpful to me.

I used to be very anxious and I can tell a huge difference if I skip a few days of meditation. It's been very calming for me and sharpens my focus right out of bed.

Quiles

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 30, 2016
Hi Tribe,

I am looking to optimize myself to increase my productivity.

I have come across mediation as a great Tool to get into your best, many succesful people are using it.

I am not really into all the "Wooza wooza" new age hype, but they are way to many successful people that i admire that are into meditation.

Do you guys practice it ? What are the main benefits ?

Would you guys recommend me a great and efficient source to learn the techniques without the BS, no "namaste" and "peace and love" gurus please;)

Many thanks in advance for sharing your inputs

cheers

david

Hi, I've been meditating during some periods of my life. Is a good practice to calm yourself and relax. But sometimes is difficult to do it... I suggest if you can, just do it. And if anybody has any problem with the spiritual way of it I strongly suggest to read a terrific book about it.

Waking Up A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion. Sam Harris
You can read about it here: https://www.samharris.org/waking-up

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads