The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meal Delivery Service for Bodybuilders

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
I would like to start a local meal prep service similar to https://www.macro-plate.com/ for my specific area. I know a local fitness youtuber who can help me promote the service. I believe there is a great need among the circle of working professionals (blue collar and white collar) who are also into the bodybuilding, running, cycling and fitness lifestyle. The idea is to have the proper levels of protein, carbs,fats and calories from natural foods (whole meats, veggies, and brown rice) measured out and tailored to each individual client's needs. This is something most bodybuilders already do where they prep their entire week's meal on sunday nights and put into tupperwares for later consumption. However, working professionals are too busy or not dedicated enough to keep this up.

I would like to know if anybody has done something like this before in their area? Not just food delivery, but prepping the actual food as well.

I know I can accomodate at least the first 10 clients on my own before I would need to hire employees. I already have demands from close friends and acquaintances who look up to me as a fitness guru who I can sell to as starting clients.

Potential Concerns
- Since we will be preparing food, I wonder what the FDA regulations are and what type of insurance against food-borne illness we would need to purchase
-Transportation logistics

I would love to hear your opinions on reasons why I shouldn't start this business, or what I need to be extra careful of if you were in my situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
There are many in all geographic areas and a lot that also ship nationally as well. Shouldnt be too hard to find in your area really. There is still a place in the market to be a leader but it would need to be amazing meals, at a great cost and great infrastructure fro delivery.

QuikCoin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Feb 14, 2015
Definitely think this is a growing field there are more companies popping up all over the US, and can be targeted at more people then just bodybuilders, but to the whole fitness community.

Harestock09

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Sep 22, 2014
I would like to start a local meal prep service similar to https://www.macro-plate.com/ for my specific area. I know a local fitness youtuber who can help me promote the service. I believe there is a great need among the circle of working professionals (blue collar and white collar) who are also into the bodybuilding, running, cycling and fitness lifestyle. The idea is to have the proper levels of protein, carbs,fats and calories from natural foods (whole meats, veggies, and brown rice) measured out and tailored to each individual client's needs. This is something most bodybuilders already do where they prep their entire week's meal on sunday nights and put into tupperwares for later consumption. However, working professionals are too busy or not dedicated enough to keep this up.

I would like to know if anybody has done something like this before in their area? Not just food delivery, but prepping the actual food as well.

I know I can accomodate at least the first 10 clients on my own before I would need to hire employees. I already have demands from close friends and acquaintances who look up to me as a fitness guru who I can sell to as starting clients.

Potential Concerns
- Since we will be preparing food, I wonder what the FDA regulations are and what type of insurance against food-borne illness we would need to purchase

I would love to hear your opinions on reasons why I shouldn't start this business, or what I need to be extra careful of if you were in my situation.

Check out:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/b-elite-fuel/premium.html

and

https://paleopowermeals.com

They both have good rep in their respective bodybuilding and Crossfit communities.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Don't market it to bodybuilders. market it to wealthier people trying to lose weight. how you find them is down to you. get creative.

It all depends on how much you know about lifting/dieting. dieting is incredibly simple but very over complicated thanks to the dogma surrounding it.

Count the calories. calculate the macros which make up the calories. (mod protein, low fat, high carb). Then make sure they get all there micro nutrients (fruits and veggies).

you can tailor the meals to the clients needs. how many calories they need, how much fat they want to lose. what foods they like. you will adjust the calories as time goes on too. have a system where you keep in touch with the client, they tell you the progress. once again, it depends how much you know about dieting. you do a good job, they get everyone in town to come to you.

you can send out prepackaged, high quality cooked meals during the day. you can have all sorts of menus. (hence why you should target wealthier clients).

As for expenses. obviously you will need a kitchen, but thankfully no expensive retail estate like the restaurants. buy everything in bulk etc.

I can go on and on about this....but im pretty certain theres a 9 figure business here. good luck

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK

Thoughts:

- could you partner/piggyback on a business with the transport infrastructure already in place?
(e.g. How to get essential medical drugs to remote African regions? Well, Coca-cola manage to get their product to these places
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...delivers-medicine-to-remote-african-villages/

Maybe not Coke, but think creatively.

- initially, buddy-up with some gyms and deliver chilled bags of pre-ordered meals to reception.

(a local wholefood store near me gets stacks of pre-ordered organic veg boxes from a national delivery network - local customers have pre-paid, and pick them up on the delivery day. I guess there's some financial kick-back for the wholefood store, whilst it's also an extra service to bring customers in who may then buy dry goods and supplements directly from the wholefood store).

- um...as above with independent sports supplement stores?

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Wow. This is actually existing? I had the exact same idea, but without knowing that these stuff already exists in the US. As far as I know there is no such thing in germany.
So I see a few problems (I looked at the sites you guys mentioned above):
-The price: 1200$ for food a month? There are not many athlets who are able to pay that much. As someone mentioned above weight loss for wealthy ppl would be a good option.
-Infrastructure
-Cooking requirements, kitchen etc.
-One site I was looking at offered meals I need to warm up. Since I am on the run the whole day I can't warm up the meals. Would I still pay that much for cold meals which taste much less good then those I warmed up?

So I have 2 ideas:
1: Work with local restaurants which can deliver great food. Let the user choose their city and then offer a meal plan created of the meals local restaurants offer. Also let these restaurants deliver because they often already have a delivery service. Basically sell leads.
2: Would be like musclefood with different foods I can order. (For fitness/bodybuiding) In germany we have online meat sellers, online supermarkets etc. but not a real site just with fitness food. Again lead the user to the other shop, work with them and get a small amount of the sale.

Both ideas would also solve the insurance problem, since you are not the actual owner of the food. If the food causes illness it would be bad for your repetition but you wouldnt get sued. The restaurant/online meat seller or supermarket would.

What do you guys think of that?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You could offer a commission service to personal trainers. They sell your product, they get a recurring cut for a paid subscription.

Harestock09

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Sep 22, 2014
You could offer a commission service to personal trainers. They sell your product, they get a recurring cut for a paid subscription.
Or sell it to the gyms, and they market and sell it to their client. That could significantly reduce your logistics problem and marketing overheads. Sending in bulk to fewer locations.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Im still really shocked some of the big supermarkets in the UK havnt released ready meal/frozen microwave meals based around protein and body building the market would be huge. Guess its just not profitable enough for them or the meals really taste that bad without all the additives.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
we have one of these businesses in Australia - it is quite successful but personally the price could be lower...
http://www.musclemealsdirect.com.au/

I used to use muscle meals. They're the most expensive because they were one, if not the first, to establish this business model in Australia and are the example that all the new BB meal delivery services use to set up their business. They took advantage of the huge gym fad which hit Australia 2009-2014. Working out has always been popular, but really hit 'mainstream' in recent years when self obsessed people realised they could use body-building as a reason for their countless selfies.

There's plenty other new pop up delivery services that are MUCH cheaper than muscle meals. Don't forget, Jenny Craig and Weight watchers have been using this business model for a long time and offer cheaper alternatives to muscle meals.

TedBundo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 26, 2017
Florida
I would like to start a local meal prep service similar to Macro Plate - Healthy Gourmet Meal Plans with Customized Macros for my specific area. I know a local fitness youtuber who can help me promote the service. I believe there is a great need among the circle of working professionals (blue collar and white collar) who are also into the bodybuilding, running, cycling and fitness lifestyle. The idea is to have the proper levels of protein, carbs,fats and calories from natural foods (whole meats, veggies, and brown rice) measured out and tailored to each individual client's needs. This is something most bodybuilders already do where they prep their entire week's meal on sunday nights and put into tupperwares for later consumption. However, working professionals are too busy or not dedicated enough to keep this up.

Potential Concerns

This is a great industry but many companies have trouble when it comes to scaling. Proper infrastructure and delivery systems are important to have in place ahead of time. I have seen a lot of these meal plan delivery companies take off quick and then crumble quick because they are not properly prepared to handle the volume that comes with the booming business. My friend had a vegetarian meal plan delivery company that started strong, and then took off and that's when everything collapsed. Google adwords generates a ton of business for this niche btw

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
You know who LOVES meal delivery?

Realtors.

Literally more than 50% of my office is now on meal deliveries, paying about $14CAD per meal (organic, low sugar, etc). Busy people who have money for good food-- but don't want to spend the time to cook it because they see cooking as time that could be spent making more money, which easily offsets the $14/meal.

I'm sure other busy, high income professionals are doing the same thing or would love to have the service if they're not already receiving it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.