The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gyms are closed... fitness equipment delivery service?

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
But I different business in the current climate, I’m a personal trainer who works mobile with clients on a regular basis. This means that I’ve got A lot of equipment that isn’t being utilised… Here’s my idea and would really appreciate some feedback:

Two hour rentals were heavily sanitised workout equipment is delivered to your door with a USB, showing you a workout using that very equipment...

possible problems: freedom of movement to be driving around, cleanliness being taken seriously, equipment condition and set up/breakdown before and after their session

appreciate any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I wouldn't trust cleanliness, but doesn't stop me from wearing gloves or taking my own cleaning measures. Plus, the limited rental time puts pressure on you to DO IT, right?

Still a but surprised at the cost of weights and home gyms at the moment. Not much decrease in price I've noticed so I'm using resistance bands etc. It sucks in comparison though.

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Did I get that right? Rent weight bars, a bench, maybe a stepper and you deliver it to my home so I can use it for two hours?

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
Did I get that right? Rent weight bars, a bench, maybe a stepper and you deliver it to my home so I can use it for two hours?
Yep, so you get a set of equipment... with a workout to follow with THAT equipment and a two hour window to use it

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
I wouldn't trust cleanliness, but doesn't stop me from wearing gloves or taking my own cleaning measures. Plus, the limited rental time puts pressure on you to DO IT, right?

Still a but surprised at the cost of weights and home gyms at the moment. Not much decrease in price I've noticed so I'm using resistance bands etc. It sucks in comparison though.
Yeah the urgency is a good thing as it makes people super aware of getting it done in that time

mrpixel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2020
United Kingdom
Visiting different houses sounds like a health risk to me, is it worth it?

Would you have to enter their house to setup the equipment or is it easy for them to do it?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Visiting different houses sounds like a health risk to me, is it worth it?

Would you have to enter their house to setup the equipment or is it easy for them to do it?

I think most people would just buy a couple dumbbells or kettle bells and call it good.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
But I different business in the current climate, I’m a personal trainer who works mobile with clients on a regular basis. This means that I’ve got A lot of equipment that isn’t being utilised… Here’s my idea and would really appreciate some feedback:

Two hour rentals were heavily sanitised workout equipment is delivered to your door with a USB, showing you a workout using that very equipment...

possible problems: freedom of movement to be driving around, cleanliness being taken seriously, equipment condition and set up/breakdown before and after their session

appreciate any thoughts?
Mount the gear in a trailer that has HVAC. The trailer can be rigged with UV lighting so that between customers you can wipe all the equipment down then flood the trailer with UV. Maybe have a trailer with weights and another with cardio equip?

But sanitation is going to be the major concern - for you, your employees and customers.

All that said, I doubt health department will give you a waiver. They'll likely just consider you another gym and be risk averse.

But I like the idea.

D

DeletedUser0287

Eh...no.

I would just buy free weights for the price you are going to charge to rent once. Running place to place with heavy equipment every 2 hours. Liability of damaging someone else’s property since you would be rushing, Nah bro.

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Yep, so you get a set of equipment... with a workout to follow with THAT equipment and a two hour window to use it

Unless you offer real premium service, maybe you bring stuff and work out with them, I would look closely to the numbers on how you will make profit. Sounds pretty time consuming to me if you just think about the logistics, driving around the city etc.

Maybe you could change the idea, approach etc. - People not being able to go to the gym are plenty around - just like me. And I don't like it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The stages I went through personally:

- Stop using the gym a few weeks back when thing started off
- Worked out outdoors at some outdoor park gyms for a while
- Then stopped that also when the real gyms closed (cause now they were crowded)
- Starting using natural outdoor things to train -lifting logs, pullups in trees etc
- Parks closed
- Went online to try buy gym gear but too pricey/awkward (shipping to Poland, tools I need etc)
- Watched a bunch of bodyweight youtube videos and made a decent homework out plan with very little gear needed

I wouldn't use your service cause it sounds like a lot of time/effort and also I don't want to be using someone else's gym gear right now. Even with it cleaned I would rather avoid it.

What I would be open to is buying some gym gear or even some homemade stuff like a pullup bar frame (the hardest exercise to do at home is back).

I was watching videos like this...

In short, I would rather buy than rent but if I can't buy (for normal rates and easy shipping/setup) I will just figure it out myself.

Same mentality as what @biophase said.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City

- Then stopped that also when the real gyms closed (cause now they were crowded)
- Starting using natural outdoor things to train -lifting logs, pullups in trees etc
- Parks closed
- Went online to try buy gym gear but too pricey/awkward (shipping to Poland, tools I need etc)
- Watched a bunch of bodyweight youtube videos and made a decent homework out plan with very little gear needed

I wouldn't use your service cause it sounds like a lot of time/effort and also I don't want to be using someone else's gym gear right now. Even with it cleaned I would rather avoid it.

What I would be open to is buying some gym gear or even some homemade stuff like a pullup bar frame (the hardest exercise to do at home is back).

In short, I would rather buy than rent but if I can't buy (for normal rates and easy shipping/setup) I will just figure it out myself.

That's a sexy pull up set! I was looking for something like this a few years ago, but ended up moving on.

The delivery/pickup model seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of gain. How much could you charge? How many could you do a day?

I like the idea of a mobile workout studio. Keep your clients and adopt serious cleanliness habits. Not sure the city has to know about 1 to 1 services.

The other is lease and lease to own. It would be neat if you could keep the equipment from turning into a clothes rack. Maybe points system for doing the work?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think most people would just buy a couple dumbbells or kettle bells and call it good.
We have a few dumbbells, kettle bells, and skipping ropes in the back garden and have been doing family circuits every day.

We’d like to order more sizes online but everywhere is out of stock.

My wife even commented that she doesn’t even need to go to the gym now. I’m sure she’s not the only person thinking that.

Our mini-gym:

921792BA-0173-4E0E-A85F-6B2A4BA4961F.jpeg

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Not to be that guy but I think people would prefer to work at home with dumbbells THEY bought themselves.

Obviously anything is possible if you bring enough value but have to remember the service has to be premium enough to exceed the risk people will associate this with in this current pandemic.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
We have a few dumbbells, kettle bells, and skipping ropes in the back garden and have been doing family circuits every day.

We’d like to order more sizes online but everywhere is out of stock.

My wife even commented that she doesn’t even need to go to the gym now. I’m sure she’s not the only person thinking that.

Our mini-gym:

View attachment 31543
Good! I bought photo sand bags and pea gravel for dumbells and weighted ruck carries. They are more like kettlebells, though

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M264VSY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I have a complete home gym with far more stuff than you can find in normal gyms, DIY pull up bar connected to the roof of the gym, Power Rack for squats/bench etc.. that can hold like 3000 kg(yeah we overdid it), arm wrestling table, 300/400 kg in free weights(I'm not entirely sure because I've lended some to my friends), all in 1 machine for lat pulldowns/chest press/flies etc... Cable machine(that I dismantled because it occupied too much space and wasn't really used/reduntant with the other machine), Treadmill/elliptical/Bike for cardio all put back into storage because I never used them...
Also all the obvious Dumbells/barbells(of different sizes), mats, punching bag, different attachments for cables and so on and so forth.

This whole thing costed me around 1000 € but if you remove the free weights about 500€.
I got the most of the cardio stuff for free or for very cheap from some friends who were moving from apartments and never used the machines and they wanted them out quick and knew I had the home gym.
The gym was made with material we had in the warehouse from years so it was "free" altough if I had to calc everything(included the DIY stuff) + hours spent and spend money it would probably take around 10000€.
Everything else was bought used from the italian craiglist, you'd be surprised at the crazy deals you can get if you're like "I'll be there in 30 minutes and get everything but I offer you *about 30-40% of what he's asking*".

So if we do some quick math if you already have the place and want to get basic stuff I'd do the following:
Level 1(200/300€ if you get a good deal): Bench and 100 kg in free weights(bare minimum), 1 barbell and 2 dumbells, THIS is everything you need for your whole body head to toes, training legs will be a little hard but you can get creative;
Level 2(+50/100€ again depends on the deals): Pull Up Bar , resistance bands and ropes(for jumping), dip bars;
Level 3(+400/1000 € really depends on the quality): Power Rack, Cable Machine with different attachments.

2x or 3x if you want everything new of very good quality, altough it makes little sense since 100 kg of free weights is just that, maybe you'll spend 10x more to have the rubber olympic ones so you can drop them from 2 meters and risk dying but that's not me.

Cardio equipment is a huge waste of money imho, if you get your resistance training handled, the aerobic stuff you can follow all the fat burning routines on YT that don't require equipment (jumping jack, burpess,etc etc).

Hope this gives you some perspective on the costs of a functional home gym that was created over years of finding good deals, I expect to pay at least 20000/30000€ for this kind of service if a company was offering it, actually I may start contacting local distributors and maybe get some good deals for this kind of offer "Get your DREAM home Gym built in One Week after you accept our quotation, everything INCLUDED", offering room adaptation or building from the ground up(all you really need are 10/15 mq).

Let me know if you find this idea interesing since I developed it while writing the post.

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
I have a complete home gym with far more stuff than you can find in normal gyms, DIY pull up bar connected to the roof of the gym, Power Rack for squats/bench etc.. that can hold like 3000 kg(yeah we overdid it), arm wrestling table, 300/400 kg in free weights(I'm not entirely sure because I've lended some to my friends), all in 1 machine for lat pulldowns/chest press/flies etc... Cable machine(that I dismantled because it occupied too much space and wasn't really used/reduntant with the other machine), Treadmill/elliptical/Bike for cardio all put back into storage because I never used them...
Also all the obvious Dumbells/barbells(of different sizes), mats, punching bag, different attachments for cables and so on and so forth.

This whole thing costed me around 1000 € but if you remove the free weights about 500€.
I got the most of the cardio stuff for free or for very cheap from some friends who were moving from apartments and never used the machines and they wanted them out quick and knew I had the home gym.
The gym was made with material we had in the warehouse from years so it was "free" altough if I had to calc everything(included the DIY stuff) + hours spent and spend money it would probably take around 10000€.
Everything else was bought used from the italian craiglist, you'd be surprised at the crazy deals you can get if you're like "I'll be there in 30 minutes and get everything but I offer you *about 30-40% of what he's asking*".

So if we do some quick math if you already have the place and want to get basic stuff I'd do the following:
Level 1(200/300€ if you get a good deal): Bench and 100 kg in free weights(bare minimum), 1 barbell and 2 dumbells, THIS is everything you need for your whole body head to toes, training legs will be a little hard but you can get creative;
Level 2(+50/100€ again depends on the deals): Pull Up Bar , resistance bands and ropes(for jumping), dip bars;
Level 3(+400/1000 € really depends on the quality): Power Rack, Cable Machine with different attachments.

2x or 3x if you want everything new of very good quality, altough it makes little sense since 100 kg of free weights is just that, maybe you'll spend 10x more to have the rubber olympic ones so you can drop them from 2 meters and risk dying but that's not me.

Cardio equipment is a huge waste of money imho, if you get your resistance training handled, the aerobic stuff you can follow all the fat burning routines on YT that don't require equipment (jumping jack, burpess,etc etc).

Hope this gives you some perspective on the costs of a functional home gym that was created over years of finding good deals, I expect to pay at least 20000/30000€ for this kind of service if a company was offering it, actually I may start contacting local distributors and maybe get some good deals for this kind of offer "Get your DREAM home Gym built in One Week after you accept our quotation, everything INCLUDED", offering room adaptation or building from the ground up(all you really need are 10/15 mq).

Let me know if you find this idea interesing since I developed it while writing the post.
Damn this is a lot of responses haha! I like the idea of boutique gym design for people yeah... the initial idea of renting my equipment cane out from just having people not being able to go to the gym and not wanting to do face to face right now... it doesn’t seem like a long term fix biz model, it feels like money chasing with the current “gold rush”

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
Not to be that guy but I think people would prefer to work at home with dumbbells THEY bought themselves.

Obviously anything is possible if you bring enough value but have to remember the service has to be premium enough to exceed the risk people will associate this with in this current pandemic.
Yeah I’d agree! Problem a lot of people have got us not being able to buy it for reasonable pricing, and there’s a LOT of gyms round here with members on zero options where to go

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London

- Parks closed

Appreciate the response thank you. Yeah back is a bitch to do at home (same with any pulling exercises without resistance)

I do think this problem hasn’t been addressed well enough which this situation seems to have proven

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
Totally agree. Anyone who wanted to train at home usually would, however with the gym closures, what I’m seeing a lot of is people can’t buy dumbbells etc at the moment as there’s SUCH a demand. so I have the need just finding a way to fill it (how long that’ll last for is anyone’s guess)

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London

Ps idea is interesting haha... how is Italy right now?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
One of the best running backs of all time never lifted weights. He did all kind of exercises without weights. Back when I worked out a little thats also what I did.... no weights. I guess it depends if you are going for a trophy or just work out.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Yeah I’d agree! Problem a lot of people have got us not being able to buy it for reasonable pricing, and there’s a LOT of gyms round here with members on zero options where to go
I can see serious bodybuilders going crazy
Ps idea is interesting haha... how is Italy right now?
hmm nice question, honestly I don’t understand how people got infected in the last 3 weeks, there is a total shutdown.
I think 1/2 months we’ll be back to 100%

Roger FS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Aug 23, 2018
MN, USA
Mount the gear in a trailer that has HVAC. The trailer can be rigged with UV lighting so that between customers you can wipe all the equipment down then flood the trailer with UV. Maybe have a trailer with weights and another with cardio equip?

But sanitation is going to be the major concern - for you, your employees and customers.

All that said, I doubt health department will give you a waiver. They'll likely just consider you another gym and be risk averse.

But I like the idea.

With UV, use an ozone generator to get everywhere the UV misses:
<snip>
C0VlD-19 is an enveloped virus. In past studies, 99 percent of viruses have been destroyed and showed damage to their envelope proteins after 30 seconds of exposure to ozone. This can result in the virus's failure to attach to normal, healthy cells, and the breakdown of the single-stranded RNA can lead to the destruction of the virus.
<snip>

Run the generator between clients, then air it out with a fan before the next person uses it (don't breath it in quantity.) Lots of units still on Amazon, unfortunately not a priority for shipping currently.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.