The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing agency progress thread?

Marketing, social media, advertising

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
This is just a brain dump for me on the things I learn as I work on this project.

Haven't worked out the kinks, at the moment I'm optimizing the site and researching the market. Early days...

Not sure what I should specialize in yet. Feel like it's better to have one super targeted USP than a 'We offer 10 different services but excel at none of them' type of thing.

Things learned so far: Setting up site on wordpress; on-site seo; researching blog posts...

Ready fire aim

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
Good luck! Do you have a background in marketing?

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Good luck! Do you have a background in marketing?

Thanks!

Master's in international marketing; studied copywriting since 2012; did some content marketing on the side in the past...

Would I consider myself a marketing 'expert'?

... Not even remotely.

This project is a combination of 'fake it till you make it' and applying theory and the wisdom of others (especially people on this forum, like @Lex DeVille and @Fox )

Last week I:
Wrote my first blog post; optimized the site; researched possible gaps in the market...

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
Good luck man, I'll be checking in. I am also starting a agency for local clients. Been reaching out to people and now just need to close.

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Good luck man, I'll be checking in. I am also starting a agency for local clients. Been reaching out to people and now just need to close.

I've found "Never split the difference" -Chris Voss . So beneficial. Should help with closing!

UK.SteRioN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 5, 2019
Also heading along the same lines, not so much experience within the digital marketing sphere, however done a fair amount of web design in my time.

Having nearly completed my site I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the close of sale side of things. I've opted for a choose package/buy there and then. It's how to go about making this legitimate to a customer (i.e. choose package, fill in details and then pay?) I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last week I:
Wrote my first blog post; optimized the site; researched possible gaps in the market...
Who do you know who you can go help *now*, without doing content marketing to get inbound visitors that might turn into enquiries?

G

Guest24480

Who do you know who you can go help *now*, without doing content marketing to get inbound visitors that might turn into enquiries?
This. You don't even need a website when you're first getting started. Find someone with a problem, offer a solution to fix it, help them for free and overdeliver, add it as a portfolio piece to a Google Doc and ask to use them as a reference.

Now it will be easier to find the second person.

Setting up a website, writing blog posts, and doing SEO is all action faking when you're just getting started.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
^ This is what I like about this forum (and why I made this thread).

If you start straying from the path or start focusing on minor details people will tell you.

As an aside, I got myself a job in marketing/sales (thanks for the tips @Andy Black ). Good for learning cold calling, networking and whatnot in an essentially 0 risk environment.

Plan hasn't changed though.

Find someone with a problem, offer a solution to fix it, help them for free and overdeliver, add it as a portfolio piece to a Google Doc and ask to use them as a reference.

I'll start scouring my network for people I could help.

Will update in one week.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
How's it going, are you still on that project?

Hey, thanks for showing interest in the thread.

I am, but it's moving slower at the moment due to work commitments. Also getting into B2B/Enterprise sales at work which seems like a great free learning opportunity.

I'm also wondering how some people on this forum seem to be having a never-ending source of energy. Remember reading from some 'what's your day like' threads on this forum that people did their 9-to-5's, then went home and started working on their own businesses until late at night.

Doing this seems impossible to me.

knowledgebeast

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 22, 2019
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
Hey, thanks for showing interest in the thread.

I am, but it's moving slower at the moment due to work commitments. Also getting into B2B/Enterprise sales at work which seems like a great free learning opportunity.

I'm also wondering how some people on this forum seem to be having a never-ending source of energy. Remember reading from some 'what's your day like' threads on this forum that people did their 9-to-5's, then went home and started working on their own businesses until late at night.

Time spent learning about sales isn't wasted!

About energy, it's not an easy topic. No matter how I am physically, what always makes the difference for me is excitement, enthusiasm about building a business or learning skills. When you get really excited about it some sort of unending energy, no matter if you're sick, tired, etc. But there's no blueprint to get excited about building your business. Maybe it's reading books like TMF , or strategic business books in your field that give you a lot of practical ideas, or mindset books like relentless or mastery.
Sometimes lack of energy is just a physical problem. I'm no expert on that but generally sleeping enough and exercising at least 3x/week solves most of those problems. Alcohol, smoking, weed, or other substance abuse also often drains energy. Or maybe it's just the diet. Eating only junk food or sugary stuff will leave you feeling weak and tired.
Maybe you lack some vitamins or other things and need to take supplements. Maybe nootropics like Mind Lab Pro, which I've been using for about 1 month and a half, can help (if you already have a healthy lifestyle).
Having enough energy is a really complex and multi-faceted challenge, which I struggled with and now I'm doing okay. You need to find what works for you.

ps:
Keep us updated!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Even though I’m not in a job it’s similar for me.

My “day job” is being a self-employed consultant, and doing the school-runs/cooking dinner/homework’s/bedtime reading.

My side businesses are worked on in moments I can get.

Try to make a weekly calendar? I’ve found it useful:

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Do sales. Forget everything else.

Sales, sales, sales.. the rest is action-faking.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Dear fastlaners and unregistered lurkers,

At the time of writing I still have 78 days left of my contract with my employer before I'm "unemployed" and "free" again...

I've learnt plenty about sales since last posting, which is something I'm going to put into use for this project...

You know, the project I completely forgot about for... well... apparently 11 months.

OK... So, what's the plan?

The plan right now is to:

1. Not burn any bridges and keep overdelivering at work. Maybe push some sales situations a bit more now, just to get the experience and see what happens. Like some crazy scientist.

2. Get some copywriting clients on the side. How? Cold e-mails with a "working in advance" mindset.
"What the hell is that!?"
I message them and say something like "Hey love your site Joe blahblah I liked it so much I wrote 3 emails for you to use in your newsletter/autoresponder/crypto ponzi scheme. If you test them and notice they convert, we could discuss other ways I can help your copywriting needs".
I prefer doing this than going the mainstream route of Fiverr/UpWork. Those places seem to have clients that want a lot for a little.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on this idea, I think for instance @Andy Black could have some golden nuggets to share regarding this, knowing how much Andy likes "Give and Take".

3. Send some old-school job applications to interesting firms. A specific number of applications per day to make this measurable. Let's say 5 applications.

4. Meditate and journaling. I keep hearing about the benefits of these habits but have constantly been putting them off until now. I guess now's a good place to start.

Thanks for reading,
Matt

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get some copywriting clients on the side. How? Cold e-mails with a "working in advance" mindset.
"What the hell is that!?"
I message them and say something like "Hey love your site Joe blahblah I liked it so much I wrote 3 emails for you to use in your newsletter/autoresponder/crypto ponzi scheme. If you test them and notice they convert, we could discuss other ways I can help your copywriting needs".
I prefer doing this than going the mainstream route of Fiverr/UpWork. Those places seem to have clients that want a lot for a little.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on this idea, I think for instance @Andy Black could have some golden nuggets to share regarding this, knowing how much Andy likes "Give and Take".
I must admit I've never tried this. I'd rather not spend that amount of time working for free for someone completely cold. As a business owner I may not even review the work you sent me.

I don't do any type of cold outreach. I prefer to engage with people who've at least raised their hand first. Even this week I posted to my Facebook and LinkedIn profiles that "I'm thinking of doing XYZ" and asking people to comment if interested. I then messaged each person who commented and asked them to fill in a survey. I've got over 30 super enlightening responses and will go back and message all each of them and dig a bit deeper based on their responses.

Have you been through this thread?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.